Page 514 of 533 FirstFirst ... 14414464504510511512513514515516517518524 ... LastLast
Results 10,261 to 10,280 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Jun 2015
    NYC

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

I would bring in Paths over RiP. The thing about Maverick - the deck doesn't do a lot vs us beyond get KotR out. It's a legacy combo deck, except instead of powering out 20/20 indestructible creatures they power out 8/8s, which is a very powerful play if the year is 2013. So if post-board you have 4 StP, 2 CJ and 2 Path, and you just save those cards for KotR (+ Tireless Tracker, + Mom) unless absolutely necessary (e.g. a Jitte is gonna hit you) it's actually not a terrible matchup. They play a Knight, you kill it, they play another Knight a few turns later, you kill it. The way to lose the matchup is to use your STP on anything else. They fetch a Dual land and play a t1 Noble Hierarch, and you think maybe this is the game where you mana screw them with Wasteland + STP your mana dork. This is the one matchup where bolt the bird is wrong. They don't have that much to do with that mana anyway, it's not like a blue deck where they can cantrip 5 times in a turn.

Anyway, I would board:
    -4 Thalia
    -1 Prelate
    -1 Flickerwisp

+2 Path
    +2 CJ
    +2 Gideon

Their trump card post-board is Zealous Persecution, so you just have to do your best to play around that and hope they don't draw it. It justifies boarding out more x/1s vs Black variants.

Basically in boring non-blue fair match-ups like this it's good to just have your unconditional removal and high average card quality. You want to be topdecking Gideon or Palace Jailer while they're topdecking Noble Hierarch and Scryb Ranger. RiP, Containment Priest do stuff sometimes, but in other spots are going to do little or in the case of CP, work against you.

Guest Tournament report! This one is from Bill Li, who recently won a 1k in Seattle. http://www.thrabenuniversity.com/?p=2040

Thanks for the answers, now I have clearer ideas.

And against punishing maverivk instead what do we cut and / or put? http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=28624&iddeck=235432

I think the RIP is fundamental in this match up

Thanks

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Why has the red splash fallen off the map?

I am currently on straight W but miss P+K in the fair matchups/grindy matchups as they were always late game inevitability. Right now I am hedging on the power of basics against goblins/b2b/blood moon in my current meta but am not sure if that is what everyone is experiencing.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Jun 2015
    NYC

I haven't been playing a lot but when I do play online I usually play RW and have been doing fine. PK and Daredevil are definitely the best way to beat Grixis. RW lost a lot when Miracles moved to B2B maindeck - before it was considerably better than WW vs Miracles, now it's about as good. If the meta starts moving in a BUG direction because of Assassin's Trophy, Magus will become more attractive.

Oct 2012
    Italy

I know i'm probably the only one but i like playing mono white because i have access to 4 horizon canopies.
    A manabase of 4 ports, 4 wastelands, 4 canopies, 3 karakas and 9 plains lets you play 24 lands without basically never suffering mana screw or mana flood. In my opinion it makes the deck extremely consistent, which is fantastic considering we don't play cantrips.
    Sometimes i also switch the 9th plains for a chrome mox to have a speed bump against fast combo. Even against fair decks turn one thalia or stoneforge is no joke, but of course topdecking a late game mox sometimes hurts.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I haven't been playing a lot but when I do play online I usually play RW and have been doing fine. PK and Daredevil are definitely the best way to beat Grixis. RW lost a lot when Miracles moved to B2B maindeck - before it was considerably better than WW vs Miracles, now it's about as good. If the meta starts moving in a BUG direction because of Assassin's Trophy, Magus will become more attractive.
    Are there any other benefits to RW you see right now?

Also,

What are the cons to running 4 Horizon Canopies I’m straight W lists?

Oct 2012
    Italy

Well, the cons are, of course, that you take damage. that's a problem agaonst like delver and burn. but in my experience it is worth it

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post
    Well, the cons are, of course, that you take damage. that's a problem agaonst like delver and burn. but in my experience it is worth it
    and Wasteland, Blood Moon, Back to Basics, pairs poorly with mana sinks like Rishadan Port and Stoneforge Mystic...

Jun 2015
    NYC

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    Are there any other benefits to RW you see right now?
    UB Shadow usually loses on the spot to a resolved Magus + having non-white threats means you aren't as soft to Dread of Night. 4c Loam seems to be getting a little more popular, and I think WR is a little better there too.

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    So true. Maindeck B2B hurts a lot. Right now I would go back to straight W because of that, but it seems that many pilots (Grixis & others) have reacted by playing more basics. So, like always, it is a meta call.
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Hi all,
    What about Wilt-Leaf Liege at the moment ? It seems really good against Grixies no ?

Jun 2015
    NYC

Quote Originally Posted by ParisFlorian View Post
    So true. Maindeck B2B hurts a lot. Right now I would go back to straight W because of that, but it seems that many pilots (Grixis & others) have reacted by playing more basics. So, like always, it is a meta call.
    Yeah B2B is even pretty good vs WW and one of the reasons I think the matchup has shifted in their direction. Port and Karakas are a lot of DnT's game in control matchups.

But WR pretty much just folds to B2B, unless you have a Vial.

What would be our "perfect" starting hand against the following match ups for G1 (considering you know what they are playing) and G2/G3? Or what would we like to have in our opening hand?

1. Miracles

2. Grixis Control

3. Variations of Stoneblade

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Quote Originally Posted by potentia View Post
    What would be our "perfect" starting hand against the following match ups for G1 (considering you know what they are playing) and G2/G3? Or what would we like to have in our opening hand?

1. Miracles

2. Grixis Control

3. Variations of Stoneblade
    My build differs a bit from the agreed-upon choice, but within reasonable lists one might be expecting to run, I'd like to see the folowing hand against Miracles, ideally:

Aether Vial
    Aether Vial
    Karakas
    Rishadan Port
    Stoneforge Mystic
    Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    Recruiter of the Guard

You want a Vial. You want a Vial so much, that it's infinitely better to have two (one at 2, one at 3), and no CMC 1 creature, than to have no Vial at all due to their FoW. Thalia is a very relevant slowdown that gains resilience from Karakas - and that's more important than, say, Cavern of Souls when you have a Vial active. SFM will help provide a clock, and Recruiter is, in my opionion, one of the best (if not the best) card against Miracles. My plan against Miracles is to go as wide as possible, without losing too many cards in the process. Both SFM and Recruiter are curcial for that to work.

Come to think of it, that's gonna be a great hand against anything that relies heavily on countermagic, because its composition also weakens your opponent's spot removal, while providing ample room for mana denial and top-end flexibility the turn after your Vial ticks up to 3. Against decks without stack interaction or where Aether Vial can be considered less important, I'd readily trade that second copy for either a Wasteland, a Swords to Plowshares, or a Mother of Runes, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by colo View Post
    My build differs a bit from the agreed-upon choice, but within reasonable lists one might be expecting to run, I'd like to see the folowing hand against Miracles, ideally:

Aether Vial
    Aether Vial
    Karakas
    Rishadan Port
    Stoneforge Mystic
    Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    Recruiter of the Guard

You want a Vial. You want a Vial so much, that it's infinitely better to have two (one at 2, one at 3), and no CMC 1 creature, than to have no Vial at all due to their FoW. Thalia is a very relevant slowdown that gains resilience from Karakas - and that's more important than, say, Cavern of Souls when you have a Vial active. SFM will help provide a clock, and Recruiter is, in my opionion, one of the best (if not the best) card against Miracles. My plan against Miracles is to go as wide as possible, without losing too many cards in the process. Both SFM and Recruiter are curcial for that to work.

Come to think of it, that's gonna be a great hand against anything that relies heavily on countermagic, because its composition also weakens your opponent's spot removal, while providing ample room for mana denial and top-end flexibility the turn after your Vial ticks up to 3. Against decks without stack interaction or where Aether Vial can be considered less important, I'd readily trade that second copy for either a Wasteland, a Swords to Plowshares, or a Mother of Runes, I think.
    Against wasteland decks with countermagic, I think you want a basic instead of one of the other lands you proposed.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Against wasteland decks with countermagic, I think you want a basic instead of one of the other lands you proposed.
    Hmmm - Maybe, but I'm not 100% sure actually! They'll probably waste your Port with priority when you have a Vial, and chances are you'll draw one of your basic Plains pretty soon anyway.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Did a ton of testing tonight against the new Goblins lists with various combinations of their new toys... still seems mostly positive for us as long as we don’t get lackeyed out of the game early.

Crater maker is a definite revoker target in addition to all of the other relevant targets.

Hey folks, I wrote a generic Magic theory article this week. Check it out: http://www.thrabenuniversity.com/?p=1956

Oct 2012
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    and Wasteland, Blood Moon, Back to Basics, pairs poorly with mana sinks like Rishadan Port and Stoneforge Mystic...
    The deck playing 24 lands of which 9 basic plains and 4 aether vial shoud not really be afraid of wasteland , blood moon and back to basics. I mean, sometimes you will lose to this cards anyway because such is life, but they are really bad in a vacuum. And if you are on the red splash you have the same vulnerability to them.

It's true that canopy is not good with mana sinks, but despite all of the mana sinks death and taxes sometimes floods out. That happens when you don't have brainstorm and ponder.
    I'm not here to convince everyone that canopy is the truth (although i think it could be), but at least i think that land should be considered more often at least as a one/two of.

Thread Information