Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Weekly Tournament] Portland, Oregon at Ancient Wonders

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Re: [Weekly Tournament] Portland, OR @ Ancient Wonders

I think that proxies will help your metagame. Since the prizes are store credit, and there is enough legacy cards the store is selling, you should have the proxies issue resolved in a timely fashion.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Exactly. And the Sunday tournaments should encourage players to actually buy the proxies if they enjoy the format.

It is funny to allow proxies in Legacy, I do admit, but I certainly couldn't afford to just pick up a set of duals and fetches to build a two color deck, much less seven or eight duals and four to six fetches to go with them. This should work out pretty well for everyone.
    InfoNinjas

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

I'm pretty ambivalent on the proxy topic, as long as they observe some basic guidelines:

* Must be on a basic land
    * Must use ink
    * Must be LEGIBLE!!
    * Must clearly include:
    • casting cost
    • card name
    • card type
    • p/t
    • What the card does (full Oracle text seems excessive--try writing out Old Man of the Sea, for instance)

Basically, no one should be able to find an RV Plains in the back of their closet, scrawl "FOW!" on it and save themselves $25.

About attendence and all that, I'm in favor of a larger "kick-off" sort of tournament with at least some decent prizes; rather than a random "show up any Saturday you feel like" sort of arrangement.

A monthly tournament with 16-20 people is far, far more interesting than a weekly tournament that draws 4-8. I can pretty much guarantee that I'll never make it to something like that, unless it really catches on and you have good numbers.

As for advertising, well the store owner would know better about that than me. Certainly, advertising on this here site and isn't there another site just for MtG in the Pacific Northwest? I seem to recall stumbling on it a year ago. The store owner should also do their part to put up signs around their store and market it during the other MtG events ("Next Saturday we're holding a Legacy tournament, so if you have a bunch of old cards or decks you haven't played with, here's your chance. The Banned List is printed over there.") Something to that effect.
    Last edited by Bardo; 12-31-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Better yet, make it Sharpie instead of ink.

I would love to get a solid weekly tournament like they have in Seattle, with 20-30 people. It's a Catch 22-with attendance that high, we could get attendance. Guys like LinkXWing, Zilla, and Joe might even bother showing up. With 20 people, prizes would be pretty decent, competition would be pretty good after the first or second round, we could have a Top 8, all sorts of good stuff.
    InfoNinjas

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

I'm not sure if the site you were referring to was NW Magic, but I know when I had talked about my 4x Force tournament at the shop all they did was bitch about how nobody would bother driving down to that, because most that posted were from Seattle. Anybody who still has an account there can give it a try, but I know my login information is long since forgotten.

The weekly tournaments are best done by word of mouth, really. I know there's a number of guys that come in on Saturdays to play group games and casual, and some have showed me great interest in actually trying out Legacy and Vintage. A couple of them already have all the cards they'd need for it, as they are also collectors. I'm not even sure if George has a bulletin board or a monthly play calendar anymore, but I'll check.

We could also get one of you guys to sticky the topic like we had done with my shop before, which keeps everyone informed of all the info they need to know to get there, enforcement of rules (proxies), etc. It seems like there's a much larger number of regular Portland Sourcers talking on here than last, so I'm sure we could spread the word much quicker this time around.

Anyway, I plan on showing up to this weekend. Saturday gives me a long time to sober up from my New Years' Guitar Hero 3 fest, and the duals and proxies will allow me to play basically anything I want. I just stumbled across an old binder of mine that had Dazes, Mongeese, Brainstorms and some other stuff, so I could actually put together good decks like Thresh even being broke. I see no reason why anybody else couldn't pull this off if I can.

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Last edited by Volt; 10-12-2008 at 05:34 AM.
    Team Info-Ninja: Shhh... We don't exist.

(A.K.A.) Buddha
    Dec 2007
    Camas

So far I got Me, Midget and Scott Mills for saturday!
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    - General George Patton (1885-1945)

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Alright, so who's door do I have to bust in to get this thing stickied again? Zilla had my store's announcement up within a week, nobody's on the ball with this one.

I'm gonna make it Saturday, though no Buttcave for me Friday. I'm going to George's to start doing Booster Drafts. Not a bad way to rebuild my collection, start getting back into Standard, and work on my ratings as well.

I figure if I'm gonna get back into tournaments, I may as well get back into them in more than 1 format.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

I'll be there. I'm trying to drag Noah and Greg there too. We should kidnap Brett and make him play. Hopefully with about 2 hours of sleep.

And Ryan, you had better show your butt up to this one. You know what I am talking about.
    InfoNinjas

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by DeathwingZERO View Post
    Alright, so who's door do I have to bust in to get this thing stickied again?
    PMs for mod stuff does wonders.

/ Stuck

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    PMs for mod stuff does wonders.

/ Stuck
    Mods and PMS in the same sentence? How ironic. And I thought PM's were meant for Texans?

Anyways, I'm showing to this one. It'll take a small tactical nuke in my ass to keep me from showing up this time, I'm sick of not being able to play any Magic since I'm too broke to play any Hold 'Em.

And I've confirmed Brett can't make it, he's working 5pm to close most Saturdays unless he's lucky. But if anybody wants to get in on some draft action, I'll be there tomorrow night as well for the FNM shaz.

(A.K.A.) Buddha
    Dec 2007
    Camas

Re: [Weekly Tournament] Portland, Oregon at Ancient Wonders

OK... I have good news and bad!

Good News is I will be at the cave tonight! With Aggro/Contol....

Bad News is Midget refuses to play against proxies in a tournement... He says "I Spent way to much money on our collection to lose to fake cards, if I get beat and taken out of the money by someone using fake cards... I'll Freak"

So I don't have a away there, because midget is my gas... unless I can get a ride with Scott MIlls... We will see...
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    - General George Patton (1885-1945)

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Dec 2003
    Portland OR

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Good God, there's always so much fucking drama with Magic players. I couldn't make it because I was hung over. I couldn't make it because I was having a bad peyote trip. I couldn't make it because I was having a good peyote trip. I couldn't make it because my bowels exploded. I couldn't make it because my midget wouldn't drive me. I couldn't make it because aliens abducted me and probed my anus. I couldn't make it because I was having a frontal lobotomy. Gah.
    "I couldn't make it because I was busy kicking my crew's ass" is a personal favorite of mine and the one I'm currently using.
    It's not a sin to be weak, it's a sin to stay weak.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Good God, there's always so much fucking drama with Magic players. I couldn't make it because I was hung over. I couldn't make it because I was having a bad peyote trip. I couldn't make it because I was having a good peyote trip. I couldn't make it because my bowels exploded. I couldn't make it because my midget wouldn't drive me. I couldn't make it because aliens abducted me and probed my anus. I couldn't make it because I was having a frontal lobotomy. Gah.
    Don't forget "I couldn't make it because I'd rather go lose my money to better poker players." Love that one.

And seriously, would YOU have wanted me there? Another $10 in the pot, sure, but I spent a good 30-45 minutes each time in that fucking bathroom (without room spray, as I learned), and in none of that time was I enjoying myself. I'd rather shit myself in private than put any fellow players through it, I figured you'd appreciate that kind of respect for my fellow players.

Factor in all sorts of kids and heat @ Batcave that day, and I'm sure it would have been called off on some sort of toxic poisoning issue.

Either way, I'm still coming tomorrow. If I have to make trips to McDonald's bathrooms in between rounds, I'll come even if my bowels are trying to escape again. But I'm feeling fine so far.

EDIT: Oh, and Buddha, tell Midget I will sit on his ass and water torture his face if he wants to bitch about me using proxies now. I spent more money on single transactions then he's probably put out in years of collecting. I don't need someone telling me that they're better than me because they own a card I don't right now.

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Come on Buddah. If Midget can win the first round or two, he should be playing against Source Regulars, who won't need proxies.

You're bigger than he is...can't you just throw him in the car and drag him along?
    InfoNinjas

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

So I showed up for the draft tonight, and did a disappointing 2-1-1 finish. This is all because of one single play mistake I made in the second round, which would have guaranteed me the win, and a probably 3-1 finish. The sad thing? It was protecting a single fucking creature on my side from a shock-like spell when I could have just let it die and swung again the next turn.

Moral of the story:

WE NEED MORE GODDAMN TOURNAMENTS SO I STOP GIVING GAMES TO SCRUBS FOR BEING OUT OF PRACTICE!!!!!

So ya, show up, douchebags.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by DeathwingZERO View Post
    So ya, show up, admins.
    Fixed

Thread Information