Page 384 of 400 FirstFirst ... 284334374380381382383384385386387388394 ... LastLast
Results 7,661 to 7,680 of 7999

Thread: [Deck] Merfolk

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Re: [Deck] Merfolk

I'm more suspicious of the appearance of Cursed Totem and Arcane Laboratory than anything else.

Of all commonly decks, I definitely view Elves as the matchup I least want to play against...

I can see how overloading on hate can win you some games, but in my experience elves is pretty good at dealing with multiple pieces of permanent hate. That makes me reluctant to devote much space to them in SB, which means I keep losing against it.

So I can definitely see why you've been winning much more than me against them. I'm just not ready to devote so much space in SB for this matchup. Even though cursed totem and arcane lab have applications in other matchups, I feel there are other cards I currently want.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

On a different note: what will happen if they ban DTT on monday? (I'm not convinced, but we'll see).

The main change I can see is OmniTell players returning to sneak & show, meaning I'll probably go back to 4 images.

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurus View Post
    The main change I can see is OmniTell players returning to sneak & show, meaning I'll probably go back to 4 images.
    I was gonna say Grixis Pyromancer would take a hit. I thought Show and Tell players were already on the Omnitell train before either Dig or Cruise was played.
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Jul 2011
    Zagreb, Croatia

No major legacy events happened between the last ban date and now. I don't see DTT banned this time. Maybe next year.

Feb 2015
    Berkeley, CA

Quote Originally Posted by ArielBlaze View Post
    Sometimes they just have multiple natural orders and can go back to back, lost in top4 this week to a total of 5 natural orders across 2 games.
    They can. MtG is a game of probabilities and sometimes my opponent has a better hand than I do. I don't have many counterspells in my deck, but Rushing River and Echoing Truth helped me on several occasions to take less than 20 and win on my next turn.
    ---
    Carpe Diem

Feb 2015
    Berkeley, CA

Quote Originally Posted by FANAttIC View Post
    Not even that. They have multiple Decay and that Naturalize guy for 3 mana etb after sideboard. Cage and Chalice are never sticking around.
    The name is Reclamation Sage. Elves is a pretty tightly packed deck with not much space for sideboard cards. I usually expect a couple of Reclamation Sage and three to four Abrupt Decays in G2. Sage is ok since it can be FoW'ed. Abrupt Decay is more problematic, but needs black mana.

Again, it's all about probabilities. After SB I have 4x Chalice of the Void, Umezawa's Jitte, 2x Cursed Totem, 3x Arcane Laboratory, 4x FoW, 2x Echoing Truth, and Rushing River. And Elves bring significantly less hatred.
    ---
    Carpe Diem

Feb 2015
    Berkeley, CA

Quote Originally Posted by kirbysdl View Post
    Yeah, I'm really wondering about the consistent 2-0 wins against Elves. It could certainly happen from time to time, but the word "consistent" is hard to believe judging by what I know about the decks.
    This is my experience so far. Earlier this year, my first build of Merfolk had 4x Daze and no Chalice of the Void. And Elves were very problematic for me. And with my current build I perceive Elves as a relatively fair match up with probabilities slightly in my favour.

I am more concerned about Maverick as Mother of Runes and lands are major troublemakers. Elves are fine.
    ---
    Carpe Diem

Sep 2015
    SF Bay

My prediction is that (i) sneak and show will replace omnitell, (ii) RUG/BUG delver will replace grixis delver; (iii) miracles will be a larger share of the winner's metagame.

I can also death & taxes and lands being better positioned now. Not sure about Elves though.

Overally, I think this is good news for merfolk I'd say!

I have to think a bit about to change my sideboard a bit (for instance, maybe spell pierce will make a come back)

Jul 2011
    Zagreb, Croatia

Quote Originally Posted by FANAttIC View Post
    No major legacy events happened between the last ban date and now. I don't see DTT banned this time. Maybe next year.
    I stand corrected even if timing is not great.
    At least good news for us I believe.

That's up for debate but chalice is getting a little worse: sneak and show and bug delver care much less about it than omnitell and grixis delver.

I'm considering cutting 1 MD if I need an extra slot (not sure what at this stage though)

My prediction is that (i) sneak and show will replace omnitell, (ii) RUG/BUG delver will replace grixis delver; (iii) miracles will be a larger share of the winner's metagame.

I can also death & taxes and lands being better positioned now. Not sure about Elves though.

Overally, I think this is good news for merfolk I'd say!

I have to think a bit about to change my sideboard a bit (for instance, maybe spell pierce will make a come back)
    Hi Dinosaurus,
    I would not say this is good news for merfolks...People who played Omnitell, Grixis Delver etc, can change decks. They can choose decks without islands

Jul 2011
    Zagreb, Croatia

Not everyone can (or should, since familiarity is important) change decks completely as they please.
    Omnitell was not a great matchup for us in the first place (Boseiju and playing around Daze, even Pierce). It was ok-ish.
    Switching that to Show&Tell is a lot better.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

I played merfolk years ago and always loved it. I get the reason to play chalice of the void in the Treasure Cruise and DTT era (since it stopped the cantrips that fuelled those decks): do you guys think that now Chalice will be good as before?
    Ignorance is strength

Are there any changes you guys are planning to do? I know there won't be any big changes and there's no reason for it but just a few here and there. Is Chalice still good enough to play or it is better to go for Daze?

The turn 2 chalice got a lot weaker as alot of decks will be shifting away from the full cantrip package. I would wait a weekend or two to see the sum total changes. If rug gets big I will likely be going back to junk nicfit, or if shardless seems to be top contender, bloodmoon decks are back in.

I have a tournament in a week, that's why I asked and want to be prepared to it. Maybe I'll try Dazes and see how it works. After that tournament I'll go back to Death and Taxes.

Switching Chalice for Daze is worth thinking about I believe. If BUG and Sneak and Show are back in force, it might be worth it. Let's see how the meta changes.

I'm preparing for the eternal extravaganza at the end of the month, and if it was tomorrow, I would play the following 75:

4 Cursecatcher
    4 Silvergil Adept
    4 Master of the Pearl Trident
    4 Lord of Atlantis
    4 True Name Nemesis
    4 Phantasmal Image
    2 Vendilion Clique

4 Aether Vial
    4 Force of Will
    3 Daze
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Mutavault
    3 Cavern of Souls
    2 Mishra's Factory
    12 Islands

Sideboard:

3 Chalice of the Void
    3 Dismember
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Spell Pierce
    2 Venser, Shaper Savant

Comments welcome :)

Feb 2015
    Berkeley, CA

I'm preparing for the eternal extravaganza at the end of the month, and if it was tomorrow, I would play the following 75:
    4 Master of the Pearl Trident
    4 Lord of Atlantis
    2 Vendilion Clique
    3 Daze
    4 Mutavault
    3 Cavern of Souls
    2 Mishra's Factory
    12 Islands
    Comments welcome :)
    Is 12 Islands enough to be able to use Dazes efficiently? Or to be able to use them early in the game at all?

Is 15 Blue mana sources enough to be able to cast UU spells earlier in the game? Especially since you don't use Vials.
    ---
    Carpe Diem

Thread Information