4 Rishidan Port
    15 Island

\sb
    3 Repeal
    3 Spell Snare
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Seasinger

I have been waiting to play this deck since the Cang started, and I am really stoked about Morningtide FINALLY coming out. I got there early and traded for some Bannerets. But I did not show my deck to anyone except Kai, the owner's son.

rd 1 vs. Benny with Ubg Landstill
    Game one I win the coin flip, mulligan, resolve a vial, and did not cast another spell the entire game. I killed him on something like turn 8 with 4 merfolk islandwalking past two Mishra's and a Standstill that had been in play since turn 2.
    Game two, I lose to foolishly overextending into a Pernicious Deed. I got him to 4 life but blew it.
    Game three I again play vial on turn one, but he Forces, I Daze, he Forces again, I Force. I drew savage land destruction with a Stifle on the fetch, 2 Wastelands, a Port and a Tidal Warrior keeping him off of Black and/or Green during his main phase the entire game. When I kill him he shows me two Deeds.
    1-0

rd 2 vs. Roo with Uwgb Landstill
    Game one, I lose to play errors combined with bleh. With Countertop up and running, I scooped before he even had a threat (because it's Landstill after all).
    Game two, the threats just kept coming. He Deeded away 4 Merfolk, and I still won.
    Game three, the Dr. Pepper stains on my notes indicate that I cast Fireball for 8 to win, I think. Or perhaps that's not what it says. Anyway, I Stifled a Deed, and Forced his Force as a flying Courier flew over a Monastery for the win.
    2-0

rd 3 vs Ally with Bwg Control
    I beat her both games by denying her green. Sorry Ally, I lust after you, but I still don't want to lose.
    3-0

rd 3.5 vs a Whopper combo meal and a Snickers. I won this one with greasy fingers and a ketchup stain on my shirt to prove it.

rd 4 vs Kevin with UGwThreshold - No show
    So I'm in.
    4-0

rd 5 vs Xiang with Dragon Stompy
    Game one he comes out big with City of Traitors, Mox, Magus, Song, and Chalice on turn one. I have no counters, and I look at my Stifle and consider siding in Repeal and then think about how inept they both are at handling Chalice at one. He was behind on cards and lands from that point with another City of Traitors before his first Mountain. As it turned out I got a steady supply of guys while he got some equipment. I Forced a Sword, and tapped a big Jitte-equipped Raider with Reejerey on the last turn.
    Game two he again comes out swinging with a turn one Pit Dragon. I Force of Will, and follow up with Wasteland on his Ancient Tomb. And then I did something cool when my vial got to four counters. With Reejerey and Banneret in play, I vialed in a Courier (whiffed), played another Banneret, untapped the vial, vialed in another Courier, played Lord, Silvergill, Silvergill, Lord. That's SEVEN MERFOLK IN A SINGLE TURN. He untapped and drew for his turn. Then he scooped with 20 life.
    5-0

Finals vs. Ronny w/ Belcher
    In hindsight, I think maybe I should have played him, but I was pissed that I took out the fourth Stifle and Ronny is really good.

There were 2 Goblin decks I did not want to see, so I guess I got kinda lucky. I did wish there was a Vindicate in blue, though. I don't see a good solution for Countertop or Chalice, and that shit is everywhere. Jitte was a nonfactor. Of course I did face a steady stream of control all night. So you can forget me commenting on whether the deck needs it after a single day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder
    I love it when Tacosnape reads me Seuss. It's the sodomy I don't like .

Aug 2007
    Bielefeld, Germany

Re: [CaNGD] Triton's Minions after Monrningtide

Why you dont play Back To Basics, when you only play Basics?
    Originally Posted by Pinder
    Turns out that some weird chemical reaction between the Twinkie filling and Ranch Dressing opens up a portal straight into Hell, through which the Devil is then able to shit directly into your mouth.

The Best of Both Worlds
    Aug 2006

Well done, especially against landstill.

The closest blue gets to Vindicate is Reality Acid. I guess that's not too bad for taking out Counterbalance...?

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Nice. All the MUs you faced are positive on the paper. The missing stifle may have been critical though against deed decks.

By the way Benny looks like an horrible player. Play a standstill with an opposing vial is plain stupid.

Why do you want a solution for chalice? Chalice does not hurt you at all: @1 it stops only vial and stifle and @2 is stops only daze since vial is effective.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Why you dont play Back To Basics, when you only play Basics?
    Back to basics takes upa slot. Ports and Wastelands do not.

Sep 2004
    South Florida

I am going to be updating the opening post with more info.

Finn:
    How many game do you win with Port + Waste?

Either on your mono-blue or your mono-white deck, you used them.

Actually, I wonder how B2B could help improved your winning.

In which MU Port + Waste is a must for you?

With Dragon Stompy, or Loam LD deck or MUC with B2B, port is a waste...

Playing on MWS meta is harder in my opinion, so many peoples do some land control, it's so worse that I had put sacred ground in my D+T SB. ;) (but even with that B2B or BloodMoon effect, my guess is the port become an annoying factor. In those MU, a white splash with swords (tarmo is everywhere) and the merfolk that protect your guyz (all the shit that kill yours in legacy) i think, the white splash should be better against B2B or Blood Moon. Terramophic Expanse + Flooded Strand + 2 plains ;)).

Please show me why Wasteland and Ports are greater than the white splash in that case.

Jourdelune

Aug 2007
    Minnesota, USA

Your list has 62 cards in it MB is that right?

EDIT:
    Playing on MWS meta is harder in my opinion, so many peoples do some land control, it's so worse that I had put sacred ground in my D+T SB. ;) (but even with that B2B or BloodMoon effect, my guess is the port become an annoying factor. In those MU, a white splash with swords (tarmo is everywhere) and the merfolk that protect your guyz (all the shit that kill yours in legacy) i think, the white splash should be better against B2B or Blood Moon. Terramophic Expanse + Flooded Strand + 2 plains ;)).
    WHAT?! are u saying mwsplay is good to test against...

Also is stifle good instead of another merfolk? tidal courier needs more merfolk...
    What about rootwater thief, although not as good as in vintage fish but at the same time you will know what their hand consists off, something my friend pointed out to me
    Last edited by Mooglar; 02-07-2008 at 01:41 AM.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

The 62-cards list should play 1 or 2 less island. And Tidal Warrior is really bad. Instead of it I would play 1*stifle and 3*the bouncer merfolk (kind of comboing with courier and reeejerey in order to remove blockers, in addition to be a nice way to get rid of opponent's creatures)

Aug 2007
    Minnesota, USA

Bouncer Merfolk? Tidal warrior is the total nuts ^.^,

Are you talking about waterfront bouncer?

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    The 62-cards list should play 1 or 2 less island. And Tidal Warrior is really bad. Instead of it I would play 1*stifle and 3*the bouncer merfolk (kind of comboing with courier and reeejerey in order to remove blockers, in addition to be a nice way to get rid of opponent's creatures)
    In case you didn't see it, the Tidal Warrior is the man that permits to all out attack with islandwalk from the Merfolk Lords.

That combo win more game by itself than any other card in the deck ;).

You should SB them when you face a blue deck.

Quote:

WHAT?! are u saying mwsplay is good to test against...

Lol!

mwsplay is the only place I play magic from my home. Some elitist prick, some noobs, some impolite, some trickster, some big ego, but a lot of good players also. If we can get a reliable server, (not one that flush all games constantly) the mwsplay community should be larger and much more better! (hint: The Source should get his Legacy server for mws!!!!)

And yes, mwsplay meta is filled with LD deck (Pikula, Pox, loam, stacks, landstill...) or mana disruption deck (dragon stompy, MUC).

And while I play there, I had the chance to meet Finn on mwsplay when he was working his merfolk deck at the beginning of December. And I had meet Alex, the day before... both time I played Death + Taxes + twists. (i hate playing exact copy of a deck, trying to figure out some optimization on the go)

While any magic deck should work toward the actual meta, mwsplay give a lot of struggling compare to any local tourney.

I didn't say it's good to test against... I did say that if you play in that heretic meta, do the Port + Waste worth trading against the WU protection merfolk and swords to plowshare? ;)

I want to know more about the power of Port + Waste, know why Finn put them in the two last deck it at work at. I know goblin used them, I know aggro/control mono color want to have them, but do the powerful splash of protecting merfolk and swording Tarmo worth more than port + waste on mws meta? ;)

Jourdelune

p.s. english is not my native language, I do pretty good considering that aspect ;)

Aug 2007
    Minnesota, USA

I play D&T all the time and port + wasteland to me is irreplaceable.. id run that any day vs swords besides we have evasion via tida warrior + lords, not only that but Merfolk also has big creatures

I run rootwater thief in my maindeck instead of stifle cause i want more merfolk for courier and hes actually pretty good cause i can make guesses on what my opponent has in his hand and remove goyf/stp's from decks, he also has evasion via flying

To add for the Tidal Warrior:

Synergy with port+waste for mana denial.
    Use with seasigner on none-blue deck based.

For D+T:
    Port + Waste + Mana Tithe + Glowrider + Mangara eating lands + thorn when need + cataclysm when we start land race against.
    (glowrider had messed me so much to play cataclysm or any 2 drops+ none creature, that I had changed it to suit my need and remove mana disruption in favor of spot removal - O Ring + Vindicate, but it is just me. I had put a special tech that permits to do 2 mangara effect straight at EoT without waiting for sickness... and that tech is another 3 drop none-creature. On mwsplay meta, all the crucible of worlds deck win the race even with the mana restriction of D+t, all the loam deck too and all the deck that got land disruption with blood moon effect or B2B effect, and the mana disruption of D+T is not really effective against rifter cycling effect- except for Aven MindCensor - but that Aven had disappear from the list if I remember well )

For Triton Merfolk:
    Port + Waste + Tidal Warrior + Daze

The mana disruption package is much more weak on Triton than D+T. Anyway, we are all free to change what we work best for our play style and meta, but I want to know why they are irreplaceable. Saying so without arguments and match-up analysis is like throwing a rock and missing the goal.

Jourdelune

Sep 2004
    South Florida

I'm going to weigh in here.

I don't really think anything in the deck is beyond replacement. The fact of the matter is that when we make a deck, it reflects the strategies we are fond of at the time. The last deck I worked on seriously was Death and Taxes. I found the mana denial aspect of it to be vital against many opponents after trying a LOT of different approaches to first make Mangara work, and then make the white weenie shell around him perform better than the other stuff I had seen. That way I could take advantage of Mangara as far as I could push it. That took a very long time, and a lot of testing, and had plenty of input from a lot of people.

If we are comparing my decks to each other I only think it is fair to stress that that is not the case here. I am fresh off of that project, and so I am leaning heavily on what I have found to work in the recent past. Now, I make no bones about the fact that I think Stifle is the most versatile disruption card in the format. I saw a deck idea that I thought could make the most of it, so I have plunged headlong to following that course to its natural conclusion. Is this the only direction for Merfolk? Naturally not. The best direction? I don't know since it is the first one I am following. Monoblue aggro has some very glaring deficiencies, just ask Eldariel. But the deck is consistent, difficult to pin down, and can kill nearly without warning. It has reasonable matchups against enough of the expected meta. In short, it seems to be working.

I have not used Back to Basics as more than a blind sideboard card in more than a decade. But I can tell you that in a deck with Tidal Courier in it, I am disinclined to start from scratch to rework this deck to support it. Ther just isn't room in such a design for a single-purpose card like that. I HAVE seen the effect of Wasteland, Port, and Stifle. Having them together has been nothing short of huge for me. Tidal Warrior is the sad little brother of the bunch when it is alone. He is TERRIBLE alongside Daze since the once useless island now has a very definite purpose in the same early turns that Daze is at its strongest. He eats crap against Tabernacle effects. He sucked when I wanted a dead Faerie Conclave across from me. And he annoyed me when I was trying to keep a Dryad Arbor from being a creature. But the guy does a lot of other things as well so I am not ready to consider him for cutting. This deck wants a critter in that spot badly, and the other choices are far less desirable.

This is where Maverick and I disagree. While he only sees a 1/1 with a small effect, I see guy who is one more tool to keep the opponent down early, and who enables several key elements of the deck later on. You have to like that kind of extensibility on a 1/1 for 1 which, by the way, is a Merfolk. If that is not testament, consider that my playtest partner began to use Swords to Plowshares on them the moment he saw them after just a few games. I will take that. Wouldn't you?

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Clearly the strength of merfolk compared to gobs is the mana denial package (waste/port/stifle) and the counterspell suite (stifle/FoW/daze). All these cards are absolutely 4-of. Then the rest whould be islands (or conclaves), vial or merfolks (maybe jitte and/or standstill too).

According to me, the only reason to play this deck is not the merfolk suite because apart from 3 of them, they suck very much (courier could be good if there were more good merfolks). It's the mana denial + counterspell shell. My testings showed it and I even splashed black for confidant (and SB options) and green for tarmogoyf with the same shell but only the 3 good merfolks. That's my CANGD entry. Now I'm even playing the same deck with no merfolk because I think that serendib efreet or sea drakes are better.

Mmm..
    Jan 2008
    Denmark

I'm starting to like the folks' but my approach is more aggro with Grimoire Thief instead of Stifle and I don't run Ports.. 1st because I think they interfere with my fast clock I really dont want to not be able to play Lord of Atlantis or Thief turn 2 because of 1 Island 1 Colorless - 2nd I run 4 Back to Basics which are huge against landstill and many other decks I've met.
    I run 4x Tidal Warrior as well, he's helped me win a few games with his nifty ability.

Here's something I've gotten a couple of times while playing on MWS:

Hightower plays Merrow Reejerey from Hand
    Merrow Reejerey is now 3/3
    Merrow Reejerey is now 4/4
    Lord of Atlantis is now 4/4
    Silvergill Adept is now 5/4
    Stonybrook Banneret is now 4/4
    Tidal Courier is now 4/5
    Lord of Atlantis is now 4/4
    <Nightfall <GER>> gg
    <Hightower> :)
    Hightower taps Island
    Hightower taps Island
    Hightower taps Island
    Hightower taps Island
    <Nightfall <GER>> didnt believe in merfolk :)
    Hightower plays Tidal Courier from Hand
    <Nightfall <GER>> now i do
    <Hightower> hehe
    <Nightfall <GER>> tnx for playing
    <System> Player Lost
    Makes me happy.
    "I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!"

I know for D+T its done.

For merfolk, the goblin MU is HARD. So, Syyg + Sword would give edge for that MU. What can be removed that will not affect the thresh MU and will bring the goblin MU in better shape?

The thing is, at any tournament with more than 50 peoples, the odds to see goblins are high.

Anyway, I loves playing merfolk when I feel depress about my aggro-control homebrew deck get pawn here and there.

Jourdelune

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Syyg would not help against gob. Your merfolks still can't block pilly which is the main threat in gob. Propaganda is far better, and it's blue!

Bear Cub &gt; Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

If you can play Sygg, you can play all manner of Piledriver-stoppers, most notably Swords to Plowshares.

Hightower: How well is Grimoire Thief working out? Can you please post (or PM) your list? Its counters still cost 1, and it needs to hit a few times before it can reliably counter a spell. (However, it'd sure be fun to remove a MUC deck's 2-4 finishers.) In my casual meta the mana denial package actually does very little, so I'm thinking of using more creature control (e.g. Jitte, maindeck Seasinger) and more creatures (e.g. Grimoire Thief, Riptide Pilferer). Since there's not a lot of nonbasic hate in my meta, I'm also having fun with Reejery+Banneret+Soldevi Excavations, so I can do Faerie-Stompy-like tricks.
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Thread Information