Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Dual Land Draft @ The Batcave (Vancouver, WA) 29 Jun 2008

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Dual Land Draft @ The Batcave (Vancouver, WA) 29 Jun 2008

Announcing the first event of this type (that I know of) to be held in the Portland, OR area. I am hopeful that we will get 33+ people, but the prizes are guaranteed regardless of attendance. It should be a lot of fun!

Where:
    The Batcave
    6415 E Mill Plain Blvd
    Vancouver, WA 98661

When:
    June 29, 2008
    Registration 9:30am to 10:45am.
    The first round will begin at 11:00am sharp.

Entry Fee: $20

Format: Legacy. No proxies allowed. 5-6 modified swiss rounds, followed by single-elim top 8.

Prizes:
    A complete playset of 40 dual lands, to be drafted by the top 8 finishers. This is GUARANTEED, regardless of attendance. Additional prizes might be awarded if we get 40+ people.

Head Judge: Mike Van de Water (level 2)

Sanctioning: This will be a sanctioned event. Deck lists required. Details about k-level, rules enforcement level, etc. to follow.

Contacts:
    Mike: (360) 694-4947
    Chris: (503) 449-2955
    Ryan: (503) 810-9363
    Team Info-Ninja: Shhh... We don't exist.

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Duel for Duals @ The Batcave (Vancouver, WA) 29 Jun 2008

A Duel for Duals awarded a full playset of Duals to the winner. The competition that you have descirbed is more of a Dual Land Draft.

Still pretty cool though. I hope you get a million people so people will stop complaining that nobody plays on the west coast.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Dual Land Draft @ The Batcave (Vancouver, WA) 29 Jun 2008

Last edited by Volt; 10-12-2008 at 05:11 AM.

So, who from Syracuse is going to this?
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Baaaahahahahah!

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    prizes are guaranteed regardless of attendance.
    This is vital to good attendance. I commend the guarantee.

Now advertise the fuck out of this. And then advertise again at the end of May/beginning again. Make some fliers. Lots of fliers. Pass them out now. And again in May/June. Go to all dork locations and ask permission to post those fliers or leave a stack on their counters.

Guaranteed prizes + mucho advertising = no bath for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Chris already made a stack about 8 inches thick of buisiness cards with all the relevant info on them. Some stayed at Batcave, some at Ancient Wonders, some here in Corvallis, some went back to Seattle.

Yeah, I doubt any East Coast players are willing to fly all the way here to scrub out to vastly superior West Coast players.
    InfoNinjas

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Like I said: just make sure to do it again closer to tourney time. Us dorks sometimes get forgetful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Baaaahahahahah!
    Dude, it'd be freaking awesome and you know it.

Yeah, I doubt any East Coast players are willing to fly all the way here to scrub out to vastly superior West Coast players.
    Not gonna lie, if I had an extra couple hundred bucks, I'd make the trip and crash at my cousin's house in Seattle then drive down (up?).
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Has anyone ever driven from one coast to the other? I'd totally do this for like a week either way, just to see the weird shit that you'd surely see on a trip like this.

Two or three other stout adventurers want to think about this with me? If it's less than like a hundred thousand dollars in gas, of course.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by TeenieBopper View Post
    Not gonna lie, if I had an extra couple hundred bucks, I'd make the trip and crash at my cousin's house in Seattle then drive down (up?).
    Down. Vancouver, British Columbia -- immenently more awesome in every conceivable way than Vantucky, Washington -- is north. Vantucky lies to the south, right on the Washington-Oregon border (it's about 180 miles; 2.5-3 hours drive from Seattle to Portland/The Couv').

Quote Originally Posted by lonelybaritone
    Has anyone ever driven from one coast to the other?
    Yeah. It's awesome--though quite a long drive for a Magic tournament. :) Like, really, really long.

While remote, it would be freaking awesome if anyone outside our little region could make it.
    Last edited by Bardo; 01-28-2008 at 10:00 PM.

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Please read my signature.

Jul 2004

Just out of curiosity, aren't these in the same location that runs the proxies allowed tournaments? Won't that cause a bit of consternation? Seems to me that drawing in players with proxies, and then saying that you can't do that now would be a bit of a mixed message. Not trying to hate, just trying to advise.

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Jul 2004

Oh, that's unfortunate. OK, in that case, nothing to fear. Hopefully you have a good turnout. I would totally go to this, if I could teleport. However, I AM working on that. So, maybe something will happen soon. :)

GOB: The Gathering
    Dec 2007

Quote Originally Posted by lonelybaritone View Post
    If it's less than like a hundred thousand dollars in gas, of course.
    I just drove 20 hours each way with four (well 2+2 kids+luggage) in the car, and I needed 3.3 fillups @ ~$30 per = $100 per 20 hours.

Google Maps calls it at 41 hours from Oswego, NY to Vancouver, WA, so you're looking at ~$200 in gas each way, presuming you have a car with sane mileage.

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Jul 2004

Yeah, those bastards are always trying so hard to coordinate your plane. Bunch of bitches.

Quote Originally Posted by lonelybaritone
    Has anyone ever driven from one coast to the other? I'd totally do this for like a week either way, just to see the weird shit that you'd surely see on a trip like this.

Two or three other stout adventurers want to think about this with me? If it's less than like a hundred thousand dollars in gas, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    If anybody is actually crazy enough to come out here from anywhere east of the Rockies, I will personally pay your entry fee and put you up at my place. I live a half hour from the Batcave. I have room for 3 guests. First 3 to respond are in.
    I just drove 20 hours each way with four (well 2+2 kids+luggage) in the car, and I needed 3.3 fillups @ ~$30 per = $100 per 20 hours.

Google Maps calls it at 41 hours from Oswego, NY to Vancouver, WA, so you're looking at ~$200 in gas each way, presuming you have a car with sane mileage.
    Huh. I really want to consider doing this, now.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Thread Information