Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Prizes Do You Prefer for a Tournament?

The Fire That Doesn't Burn
    Sep 2006
    SE Wisconsin

Re: What Prizes Do You Prefer for a Tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by T-ORGANIZER View Post
    Kadi was nice enough to post this thread for me, reading over what you guys have been saying i'm thinking about making this my next prize pool
    the Pool consists of;(This is only the bonus wheel picks)
    Forces, all fetches, many duals, RESETS, pithing needle, BERSERK and MANA CRYPTS
    Then for automatic prizes
    1st place- English Mana Drain + 1st Pick from pool
    2nd place-English Mana Drain + 2st Pick from pool
    3rd/4th place- English Mana Drain + 3rd/4th Pick from pool
    5th-8thplace- English Mana Drain
    9th-12thplace-Italian Mana Drains
    13th-16th- Picks from the pool

-Players can exchange their Drains for credit or cash (Price may vary between now and then, we base our prices from ebay and magictraders).
    -We will of course buy back or exchange store credit for any of the pool items as well.

Please let me know what you all think
    Legacy legal cards are probably best, (Goyf/Duals/fetches/other staples > Mana Drain) also reset is a pretty crappy prize since it isn't in any playable deck.

...at that moment I was a marine biologist.
    Nov 2003
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by AnwarA101 View Post
    Why so many Mana Drains...and from what little I know about Vintage it isn't exactly lighting up that format either
    You answered your own question. Eli is probably sitting on a shit ton of Drains and can't get rid of them. Power is one thing but an 80 dollar card really isn't worth it to resell. Just bring the dualies.

Dr. Ocatagonapus
    Jul 2007
    Fort Edward, NY

FBB Duals, Ftw

Jul 2007
    syracuse

You guys would prefer I change drains into fbb duals even though most of the fbb duals are worth less though? (non-blue and not taiga fbb's are in the 50's-60's) I am ok with doing that I just want to make sure that is what you guys want. We have no underground fbb's left in stock those won't be an option, we can probably do one of each of the other ones instead to be picked in order of how people place. Its less bang for your buck so I need overwhelming agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by T-ORGANIZER View Post
    You guys would prefer I change drains into fbb duals even though most of the fbb duals are worth less though? (non-blue and not taiga fbb's are in the 50's-60's) I am ok with doing that I just want to make sure that is what you guys want. We have no underground fbb's left in stock those won't be an option, we can probably do one of each of the other ones instead to be picked in order of how people place. Its less bang for your buck so I need overwhelming agreement.
    Well, I'd recommend that you keep an equal dollar (or whatever) value in the prizes.

Edit: For instance, I could care less about power and drains. Like, I'd rather have a playset of revised duals over a lotus. Straight up. This is why Ray's particular prize system kicks so much ass. I'd say just give the winners a shopping spree with your display cases, or a lesser (slightly - like a 7:9 ratio maybe) cash prize.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Jul 2007
    syracuse

Its funny you say that, I typically purchase for cash or store credit approx. 75% of the prizes I give out at a tournament. Peoples first reaction typically was to head over to the display with their set of duals anyway. When I had the onslaught sealed side event for a mana drain the winner decided he didn't really want a drain so we gave him the run of the display case as well. I think what I should do is simply advertise the fact that anything we give out as prize we are more than happy to take back in for cash or credit(at a slightly different ratio between cash and credit of course). Its a good idea, but just something that hadn't crossed my mind.

Aug 2007
    Minnesota, USA

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooglar View Post
    The prizes at our local 1.5 are

1st beta dual land if more than 50 people show up its a blue beta dual

2nd place playset of tarmogoyf

3rd place playest of forces

4th place 60-100 $store credit

SO I can't rly be complaining
    I don't want to be one of those "I post PM" people, but I smell bullshit. Why don't we have these documented? Where do you live?

In short, Pics or it didn't happen.

http://www.monsterdengames.com/Events.aspx

Big 1.5 tells u the prizes under >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Minnesota is the new Texas? Private messages belong in PMs, people.
    Well not really...

Back in the Source version 1.0 days... we've had plenty of 40+ Legacy Tournaments in Minnesota. I remember one of the first big tournaments we had was for one of each dual land, and we had about 100 people show up for it.

LT...

Thread Information