Thread: [Restyling] Pirates comin' back !

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

[Restyling] Pirates comin' back !

Hi !
    I was wondering on www.deckcheck.net and I found among the old Extended decks a concept which captured my attention:

Pirates ! by Mikael Wikstrom

Creatures (8)
    2 Morphling
    3 Rishadan Cutpurse
    3 Rishadan Footpad

Instants (11)
    4 Boomerang
    1 Cunning wish
    3 Hoodwink
    3 Stifle

Enchantments (10)
    4 Parallax Tide
    3 Propaganda
    3 Seal of removal

Artifacts (8)
    2 Ankh of Mishra
    4 Chrome mox
    2 Isochron scepter

Lands (22)

2 City of traitors
    13 islands
    4 Rishadan port
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard
    wish targets ( repeals, echoing truths, stifles..)
    2 Arcane laboratory
    3-4 Chills

For those who didn't noticed it, this deck runs on denying opponent's manabase and casting pirates which make them sacrifice a permanent, then bounce everything on the table and carry on this denial-plan till the opponent gets too annoyed and concedes, or gets swinged by a flying and pumped blue superman.
    There are also very interesting combos which are worth to be mentioned:
    Propaganda + Parallax tide: to prevent enemy's creatures from attacking , temporaneily ( unless you do what's written under here..)
    Parallax tide + stifle: well, this is quite known, when tide should leave play, we stifle the triggered ability and the removed lands magically disappear forever. Maybe this 2 -cards combo could be improved towards a greater solidity with the addiction of some Trickbinds ( i know that someone- perhaps georgjorge -tried this in a CanG decklist, but I think that this combo can be really awesome against both aggro - addicted to propaganda, obv- and control, above all).
    Parallax tide + ankh of Mishra: well, if the combo abve mentioned doesn't work / isn't performed, we can always rely on our friendly 2.-drop artifact to inflict 2 damage per returning land to the opponent. i.e, if we manage to stall the game and have already an ankh out, casting propaganda and removing the 5 counters immediately will subtract the lands from oppo's board and , our turn after, will give him the cute gift of 10 damages.
    Boomerang/ Hoodwink+ ankh of mishra: as above, but the damage is only 2 ( yes, that's a very little and crappy combo..)
    Bounce land+ the cutpurses: to make him sacrifice something.
    Isochron scepter+ Any cc2 bouncer: Well, everyone of you knows this too.

Well, I'm very keen on developing this lsit, but it's obvious that it can perform in a good legacy metagame without being improved.
    Of course, Force of will must be added, and I think that also removing the cities to add 3/4 Ancient tomb ( since the manacurve gets high) is a better thing. At this point, since we a noticeable percentage of colorless lands, boomerang may be taken out in favor of echoing truths / rushing rivers, even if the "bounce lands and make 'em sacrifice " concept loses some efficacy.
    I'm not really sure even on the pirates, which apper to be too fragile and,most of all, too slow in legacy. Perhpas, they could be repaced by something with a similar effect which performs better, but nothing comes to my mind mow. Any suggestions ?
    A runable idea could be the one to transform this deck and get a total stax-ish version ( running tangle wires... chalices) and drop the pirates.

In any case, i think that the aforementioned combos are worth building something around them, so I'm working on this deck to see how it performs and which cards can make it more resistant to the various goyfs, stalkers, and whatsoever, but it seems to fight well any kind of aggro ( propagandas are nuts against goblins), and could behave well also against control ( where parallax tide becomes a problematic threat along with wastelands, stifles and ports) and combos ( fows + stifle are the shit here).
    I hope that someone could help me giving suggestions and advices, but i would be very glad if you avoid hackneyed comments such as " splash it for g to play goyf", " put in the Dreadnought combo" and even " just play threshold or landstill". i want this deck to be original ( but good at the same time) and not relying on the usual 2-3 fatties which appear everywhere.

Re: [Restyling] Pirates comin' back !

There was already a topic opened by me here about this kind of deck, maybe you can look there for something.
    I really love this kind of decks, but actually i'm working on other decks so i have no time atm to help on this; anyway, i'll looking forward for your work on this archetipe.

Thread Information