Thread: [Deck] Sneaky Ignus (GR-Survival infinite mana combo)

Feb 2008
    Czech Republic

[Deck] Sneaky Ignus (GR-Survival infinite mana combo)

Lands:
    14 Forest
    3 Mountain
    4 Terramorphic Expanse

Mana steroids:
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Wall of Roots
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Infinite red mana combo:
    4 Skyshroud Elf
    4 Grinning Ignus
    4 Locket of Yesterdays
    4 Sneak Attack

Immediate kill:
    4 Shivan Hellkite

Deck & graveyard manipulation:
    4 Survival of the Fittest
    1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1 Genesis

Anti-needle:
    1 Uktabi Orangutan

The goal is cast Locket or Sneak Attack and create infinite mana with Grinning Ignus. Transform generic mana into red with Skyshroud Elf, play Hellkite and deal lethal direct damage to an opponent. Backup plan is play like decent aggro or Sneak Attack/Genesis/Hellkite aggro.

Sideboard should probably look like this:
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Pithing Needle
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Krosan Grip

Any ideas?

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Re: Sneaky Ignus (GR-Survival infinite mana combo)

Looks like a cool idea. First of all, the Terramorphic Expanses can become Wooded Foothills, so the lands don't come into play tapped. Taigas should go in the deck also, to help with mana fixing.

Adding Tarmogoyfs would give the deck a better aggro plan to backup the combo. Man, is there any deck that guy doesn't make better? Even though you don't play sorceries or instants, most decks do. He can even work with Wall of Roots to help hold the ground while you get the combo set up.

To avoid adding tons of super expensive stuff, the land base looks pretty decent as it is, with lots of basics and only two colors. It looks like you have a fair amount of consistency, with Survival and Grinning Ingus giving you 8 ways to find half the combo, and with Sneak Attack and the Locket to give you 8 copies of that half of the combo. Perhaps the deck could use a few extra ways to kill the opponent with infinite mana, in case you don't have Survival to find the Dragon? Kaervek's Torch is harder to counterspell than many of the other X- spells, besides Demonfire. But with infinite mana, emptying your hand won't be hard.

Welcome to the Source! Czech Republic? That's awesome.
    InfoNinjas

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by AngryTroll View Post
    Adding Tarmogoyfs would give the deck a better aggro plan to backup the combo. Man, is there any deck that guy doesn't make better?
    Faerie Stompy and Storm Combo . But yes as Troll said mana base needs some work:
    -4 Teramorphic Expanse
    -6 Forest
    -1 Mountain
    +4 Taiga
    +4 Wooded Foothills
    +3 Windswept Heath

Some other Cards to consider:
    4 Birds of Paradise
    1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
    1 Flametongue Kavu (Good removal to grab with survival)
    1 Anger
    4 Tarmogoyf
    1 Ravenous Baloth
    2 Eternal Witness
    All of these go well with survival and will ultimately help your deck. You can take out x of your combo creatures since they really don't need to be more than 1-2 ofs with survival in the deck.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Whatever

Mar 2006
    L'Aquila, Italy

Double Thornscape Familiar works as a locket, but it si fetchable with Survival.
    Also, that centaur dude from Future sight does the same as a one of, but you need a way to tap it (sometimes attacking is enough).
    Both of them are crappy, but maybe they deserve a test...

Also simian spirit guide should be Elvish Spirit Guide. Simply becouse it allows Survival activations, while simian does not.

Re: [Deck] Sneaky Ignus (GR-Survival infinite mana combo)

Since you're recycling the Grinning Ignus, your deck might want to run 1 Primordial Sage.

Tinder Wall, and Elven Spirit Guide both deserve consideration as alternatives to the Wall of Roots.

Lightning Entity allows you to combo out with Grinning Ignus at break-even. You should be including at least one.

Feb 2008
    Czech Republic

Thanks for suggestions. I am going to try to answer:

I. Manabase
    a) Wooded Foothills > Terramorphic Expanse
    It is obvious. But it is still a question, at least for me. TE is budget and reprinted, while WF is hard to purchase.
    b) Taiga
    No. Benefit from Taiga is negligible, it is disruptable by non-basic hate. The same for other GR duals. Two color mana fixing is guaranteed via Skyshroud Elf.

II. 4 Tarmogoyf
    NEVER! I am proud i made a deck (the 2nd) with green and without this pitiful 0/1 creature.

III. Other survival-strategic creatures (Kavu, Rofellos, Ravenous Baloth)
    Dilute basic combo = pulling it out will more depend on resolving Survival. It is just trade-off.
    BoP is useless in this deck, because it is only 2 color and we don't run Rancor.

IV. Thornscape Familiar
    Nice idea, i like it. What take out? Maybe Wall of Roots?

V. SSG vs ESG
    I preffer SSG, because it is a red mana source (manacost & activation of Sneak Attack and Ignus). Tinder Wall is alternative, but not with Thornscape Familiar.

Conclusion:
    I accept these changes:
    -4 Terramorphic Expanse
    +4 Wooded Foothills
    but only if this deck idea becomes worthy for that (it is weird run fetchlands in casual deck i think)
    -4 Wall of Roots
    +4 Thornscape Familiar
    almost for sure - it makes both aggro and combo part more consistent

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Dwarf View Post
    II. 4 Tarmogoyf
    NEVER! I am proud i made a deck (the 2nd) with green and without this pitiful 0/1 creature.
    Why? When people don't play Tarmogoyf, they usually give justification.

This is a combo deck. It's primary win condition is to go off with ignus.
    As tarmogoyf does nothing to advance the primary win strategy of the deck, it should only be included if there is a need and the space for a secondary condition. If you stuff everything into that is good but doesn't advance the primary plan you will water down the deck and weaken it as a whole.
    That said, I'd consider them SB in case you're playing against control. You might want to consider transformative SB to go all survival advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Dwarf
    Conclusion:
    I accept these changes:
    -4 Terramorphic Expanse
    +4 Wooded Foothills
    but only if this deck idea becomes worthy for that (it is weird run fetchlands in casual deck i think)
    -4 Wall of Roots
    +4 Thornscape Familiar
    almost for sure - it makes both aggro and combo part more consistent
    I disagree here. I play G/x slow combo myself and wall of roots is awesome. It is awesome defense against any aggro deck and makes mana. Both is very beneficial for the deck's plan.

Feb 2008
    Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by greenmage View Post
    I disagree here. I play G/x slow combo myself and wall of roots is awesome. It is awesome defense against any aggro deck and makes mana. Both is very beneficial for the deck's plan.
    But walls have defender, it is no threat by itself. Thornscape Familiar makes red cards manacost 1 less, it is almost the same like produce mana. Moreover it is 2/1 for 2, it creates some clock. It fits perfectly to the Ignus combo.

Is Hellkite the best win for this deck? It seems as though there could be something that's useful outside the combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmage View Post
    This is a combo deck. It's primary win condition is to go off with ignus.
    As tarmogoyf does nothing to advance the primary win strategy of the deck, it should only be included if there is a need and the space for a secondary condition.
    That's what I was looking for, it seemed as though he dismissed Tarmogoyf for being Tarmogoyf, rather then legitimate reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Dwarf View Post
    But walls have defender, it is no threat by itself. Thornscape Familiar makes red cards manacost 1 less, it is almost the same like produce mana. Moreover it is 2/1 for 2, it creates some clock. It fits perfectly to the Ignus combo.
    Well, what's more important to you? Better defense against aggro or potential damage dealing? And how often is the option to attack with the familiar going to matter? Is it going to matter more often than wall of roots fat ass?

Aluren seems like a better choice than Sneak attack with the creatures listed so far.

Thread Information