Thread: Monthly Big Legact Event at Monster Den, Minneapolis, MN

Fat Kid
    Jun 2006
    Minnesota

Monthly Big Legact Event at Monster Den, Minneapolis, MN

Big Type 1.5 at Monster Den
    Cost is $15. Start time is 1pm. Prizes will include 4 Dual lands, 4 Force of Wills, a Beta/Alpha Dual land (Volcanic Island if over 50 players), and store credit.

The usual. I think I'll be showing up with Goblin_Snowman, and maybe even grab T8 decklists this time as well. Holy crap. Everyone packing their Gaea's Blessings?
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Also, this thread needs more drunk Peter Rotten.
    Team ICBE - We're so good at playing Threshold, we don't even play it.

Team Keg Stand - If only the kegs weren't empty...

Monster Xero
    Sep 2006
    Minneapolis

Re: Monthly Big Legact Event at Monster Den, Minneapolis, MN

I'm planning on making this (shock!). So someone better record those top 8 lists
    Team ICBE

Try not to wake up on fire.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

I'll be making it. Soo... expect me in the Top 4... of course, if I don't make it, it's probably because I suck at Magic. Also, expect me to beat Solidarity.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Sadly I don't think I can attend this one. So feel free to bastardize your manabases as much as you want, you won't have to fear Back to Basics this time.
    Xiphosura: Because the word sounds cool

Quote Originally Posted by Anti~American4621 View Post
    I'll be making it. Soo... expect me in the Top 4... of course, if I don't make it, it's probably because I suck at Magic. Also, expect me to beat Solidarity.
    I'm going, I think. I'll be running something with either Smokestacks, or The Abyss, haven't decided atm.
    [3. LocalDefense]: English is under attack!

The word is "Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa!"
    Sep 2007

Is this the correct address for Monsters Den?

1815 East 41st Street
    Minneapolis, MN 55407

About 3 to 5 of us from Iowa may be making the thee hour+ trip this time. My older brother lives in Eden Prairie, so I'm pretty sure we will be able to find it without problem.
    "Attack with Order of the Ebon Hand."
    "K, block with Jotun Grunt?"
    "It has pro white."
    "Swords?"
    "It still has pro white."

Team OMRIAIGTWYFEWARTCAE Team RTD
    Twitter: @shawnldewey

Monster Xero
    Sep 2006
    Minneapolis

That's it. It's a pretty tiny store, but it's not all that hard to find.
    Team ICBE

Try not to wake up on fire.

Fat Kid
    Jun 2006
    Minnesota

Yar, it's right on Cedar, you really can't miss it if you're looking for it. I hear Easter functions > magic.

Fat Kid
    Jun 2006
    Minnesota

Anyone?

The word is "Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa!"
    Sep 2007

Top 8:
    1 MUC
    1 Counter top Goyf (with Bob, I don't think he had Mongoose)
    1 Ugr Thresh (with Bears, Stifle, no Counterbalance)
    1 RGb Aggro Loam
    1 Dredge
    1 4c Goyfstill (With Wastelands, I didn't see Monasteries
    1 gb birds/call of the herd/duress/graveshell-scarab.
    1 I can't remember

Top 4 that I can remember: Muc, Dredge (beating 4c goyfstill in quarters) Ugr thresh. I can't remember the last one, it may be aggro loam.

Muc was piloted by my friend Jason, who we had to drag to the tournament, because he didn't think he would do well. He beat the bg deck in the quarters, and lost to Ugr thresh in semis. On the last game the thresh player had t1 Mongoose, which was forced, and another on turn 2, and Jason couldn't find the Powder Keg to kill it. He sandbagged the Shackles in his hand, hoping his opponent would play a goyf, so he could steal it. A goyf was played, but he didn't have enough mana to cast it and activate on the same turn before he died.

He beat thresh, countertop goyf (a different player than the top 8 version, goblins, cephalid breakfast (kiki kill), drew with some mono u landstill. (he had a morphling in play, which was needled, and got him down to 2 or 3 in the 5th turn of extra turns.) and lost to dredge. I'm pretty sure he would've played dredge for 3rd or 4th, but he just scooped to him since his chances of winning that are very little, and because it was 9 something at night and we had a three and a half hour drive ahead of us, plus we hadn't had anything to eat yet.

There were 30 some people in attendance, lot of thresh decks, 2 Dragon stompy, 1 goblins, 1 Demon stompy, 1 burn, 1 Ub Tog, 1 Confidant, 1 Bw similiar to Confidant, but with plague slivers and pro white knights, 1 Uwb landstill, 1 Mono u landstill, 1 Muc, 1 4c Goyfstill, 1 Uwg landstill, 1 Mossnought, 1 monoblack accelerated land stompy?, 1 gb rock thing with scarabs, 2 dredge, 2 countertop goyf, 1 Gamekeeper, 2 aggro loam (I think).

I don't think the lists were grabbed, but I'm pretty sure this is the MUC list that Jason ran:

1 Academy Ruins
    23 Snow-Covered Islands

1 Morphling
    1 Meloku
    1 Teferi

4 Force of Will
    4 Force Spike
    4 Counterspell
    2 Cryptic Command

3 Back to Basics
    4 Vedalken Shackles
    4 Powder Keg

4 Ancestral Vision
    4 Impulse

Sb:
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Teferi
    1 Back to Basics
    3 Disrupt
    2 Spell Snare
    4 Some mix of blue blasts and hydroblasts

No Propaganda in the board

The Cryptic Commands were basically for Humility, and were run since he had no Facts to clog up the 4 spot. The sb was really strong, except for the Disrupts.

I had an awesome time, even though I went 2-4 with Uwg landstill. I managed to beat Dragon stompy round 1 somehow, with my whopping 4 basics, then proceeded to lose to 2 thresh decks. We probably won't be able to make the trip every month, but hopefully we can get to more in the future.
    Last edited by Shawn; 03-24-2008 at 03:03 PM.
    "Attack with Order of the Ebon Hand."
    "K, block with Jotun Grunt?"
    "It has pro white."
    "Swords?"
    "It still has pro white."

Team OMRIAIGTWYFEWARTCAE Team RTD
    Twitter: @shawnldewey

34 people
    A bunch of people playing dragon stompy and dredge and thresh, 0 combo I think, 1 goblins a couple rock decks. top 8 was
    Siftar (homebrew thresh)
    Blake (Dragon Stompy)
    PMcG (Aggro Loam)
    Dredge
    Thresh
    B/G Rock
    2 others

Siftar won after beating me, dredge and thresh.

Here is a tourney report from me. I don't write anything down so it is all from memory enjoy. I played aggro loam 4 Goyf 4 Bob 4 Terravore 1 countryside crusher 3 seismic assault 3 life from the loam 4 burning wish 4 thought seize, 4 mox diamond 3 engineered explosives 4 tranquil thicket 4 forgotten caves 4 wooded foothills 2 bloodstained mire 1 windswept heath 3 wasteland 1 volraths stronghold 1 forest 2 mountain 2 taiga 1 bayou 1 badlands. SB: 3 krosan grip 3 extirpate 3 tormods crypt 1 life 1 devastating dreams 2 duress 1 death mark 1 hull breach

R1 Vs dredge
    G1: I mull to 5 and can't realistically beat him game 1.
    G2: I drop crypt + first turn thought seize with second turn bob and extirpate backup.
    G3: I mull to 6 and keep crypt + extirpate + explosive with no black source. He therapys me first turn for crypt and then just goes off the next turn.

R2: Vs Goblins G! he keeps a very slow hand and drops thorn of amythyst second turn followed by a third turn driver. just when he is about to start getting things going I wish for dreams and dreams all his stuff away, then drop assault. G2: I keep a sketchy hand that is good against all but turn 1 lackey, he has it and I mox diamond out first turn bob. The trade and he has nothing else. I waste a land and he does not cast a spell for the rest of the game.

R3: Vs Dragon stompy G1: He mulls to 5 and I thought seize him 3 times in the first 5 turns G2: I keep a hand with assault, life, explosives and land. IO figure if he doesn’t drop turn 1 moon I am good. He drops turn 2 moon and I fetch out the forest. He drops slogger and gathan raiders but I drop assault and murder all his guys and then him.

R4: Vs Mono Black
    G1: He keeps a 1 lander with double duress and hymn. He eventually gets some more lands but I drop a huge vore and countryside. He edicts me, then the trampling begins.
    G2: He gets jitte out with plague sliver and shade but seismic assault just eats men. Then him for 16.

R5 Vs thresh
    G1: I waste his blue source after thoughtseizeing his hand of double daze brainstorm and other goodies. He finds another too late.
    G2. He needles waste stifles my fetch and forces my explosives for 1. Then I grip his needle and waste all of his lands. Then play a goyf and a vore.

R6 draw in

T8 Vs Siftar
    He was playing a unique build of thresh with stifle waste, bob goyf and vendillion clique and no cantrips but brainstorm and top. G1 I mull to 6 and keep a tranquil thicket waste hand he wastes my thicket and I find another land in about 7 turns.
    G2 I mull to 4..... sigh. My 4 was diamond fetch thicket and krosan grip. If the grip was a life I would in fact be the luckiest sac to mull to 4 but it was all for not :(. He played top, bob, counter balance goyf. The end.

Thread Information