Page 239 of 239 FirstFirst ... 139189229235236237238239
Results 4,761 to 4,766 of 4766

Thread: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

May 2015
    PDX

Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

I was on the call with him the whole way. The VoDs are up on Ark4n's patreon (look up legacy_council on twitch).

The funny part was mtgo somehow changed the deck he registered for the challenge from turboMinsc to the dono league list, so I got that 2-for-1 value. On the list itself, there were communication issues about Brazen [should be Otawara] and card availability issues [only had 1x Currency, vs optimal 2x]. So as far as the maindeck goes -1 Island for +1 Otawara and -1 Bstorm for +1 Currency.

On the SB Brazen slot is open (Otawara #2 covers this). Take this slot and Blood Moon -> Alpine Moon x2. Hydroblast and Torpor are flex slots. On Blood Moon vs the card Dark Depths: this is, since the printing of FoV and Boseju, the equivalent of bringing in Torpor Orb against opposing Dreadnoughts (i.e. actively enabling a hostile strat). It is much more important to not affect your own Saga while turning off enemy Saga and Stage copy our Saga.

The sequence was loss to GW Depths (mostly due to Blood Moon) -> 5 wins in a row vs Oops, 12Post, Red Prison (subtype 8Rabble), UR Delver, GW Depths -> loss to Doomsday/MentorBlade. <- that's an automatic 1-6 or 2-5 day for any StifleNought.

Against UWr you never cut a single FoW; match-losing play. Break their deck down:
    1- they will try to Narset you
    2- they will try to kill spell you
    3- they will try to Teferi you
    4- they can play around Daze.

Point 4 is the easiest; cut Daze. Point 2 is the next easiest; Nought down to 1x. Point 2 is also a mix of realizing their deck is trash on cmc 2, and that they're trying to cash in a kill spell with that mana...so you Standstill them.

All that's left are two passives you have to answer and also not play into. Given that Standstill is the key draw effect that outpaces Narset and ignores Plow/Ending...maybe don't flood out on superfluous Brainstorms (they're not what makes the mana work). Against Teferi passive in a deck with so many basics, maybe don't flood out on Stifle so hard. These are your next trims.

On the UWr side of the table, they are not allowed to cut white cards, nor can they cut their PWs. They should cut 4x cantrips for 4x REBs...but they can't, b/c despite having many basics, their mana is still xerox'd [i.e. not at all secure without cantrips]. These are forced play patterns UWr must abide by; so just play around them.

Finally got access to a Volcanic Island so planning on giving UR a shot for the first time.
    I've been playing mono blue with Delver/Murktide up until now so excited to try out some red spells.

Any recent list developments or is the one a few posts back still good to go?
    Bunch of Depths players where I play so probably need to stock up on some Alpines, usually some Reanimator/Loam/UWr/Delver lurking around as well.

Edit: Also what do you bring Staticaster / PoP / Ashiok in against?
    Last edited by Kevftw; 10-30-2022 at 06:39 PM.

May 2015
    PDX

Same list as previous.

Ashiok is for Doomsday, Reanimator, anything with Crop Rot/GSZ/Reclaimer, Uro, UWx, Hogaak, and anyone trying to use their GY too much.

PoP is for any deck playing too many nonbasics where burning them out is the plan. We would not bring it in vs Delver, but we would bring it in vs low basic count Ancient Tomb, Minsc, Depths/Lands/Post, etc.

Staticaster is for Elves, DnT, Rabblemaster-types, Grist, Sylvan Safekeeper, Hexmage, Esper Sentinel, Empty the Warrens, etc.

Sep 2011

How are you guys doing with Dreadstill lately?

Maindeck Dress Down and SB Torpor Orb seem strong in this meta. Could you even get away with 1 Torpor main, for the G1 surprise?

That means you'd be favored against both Delver and Initiative, the two top decks!

May 2015
    PDX

Torpor Orb doesn't hit Delver's dudes. They can't really leverage Daze all that effectively vs any enabling path we use, so no real improvement there. Torpor Orb does however play heavily into Brazen bounce Torpor with Nought on stack, so we're definitely losing % points by running Torpor there. In fringe cases we are able to keep pure colorless mana hands (Torpor to Nought, protect with FoW).

Against initiative the UR version would be actively rewarding them for playing Chalice (can't make Noughts with a Torpor in play into a transition of they Spirit Realm Torpor, can't Stifle vs Chalice, and they still get initiative).

You run the Karns and Scrolls to completely invalidate Chalice [and any need to ever waste blue cards on it], and then wish Torpor with Karn in game 1. This is already done on UW, but UR unfortunately can't do this until Daze is banned and we can play real cards (Karn, FoN) in those stolen slots.

Not too worried about initiative between Stifle, Dress Down, and omnipresent threat of 'hasted' attacks from manlands, eot constructs, sharks, and Currency rogues.
    ---
    Don't think any of our pilots are running Dreadstill at this time outside of local paper. I have a few banked donation leagues with Ar4kn, but won't have time until later February to have him jam some leagues. Holidays always screw up attendance lol.

On the new land, I'd suggest buying a playset if the price is reasonable; LED doesn't need to be untapped to work, so probably a reasonable investment.

Sep 2011

Maybe Torpor is still not good enough main then, better in SB. You still have 4x Dress Down maindeck so the matchup must be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Torpor Orb doesn't hit Delver's dudes.
    Dreadnought is already favored vs Delver, right? I just meant that Torpor hurts Initiative. That plus the positive Delver match means Dreadnought is favored against the top 2 decks in the meta. Much better than before, when UWr was the #2 deck. Both Delver and Initiative see a lot of play, especially online. It should be a favorable time for your Dreadstill pilots to get results and show off the deck.

Thread Information