Page 138 of 239 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148188238 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 4766

Thread: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

With the 2 new additions of Mental Misstep and Torpor Orb this Deck will get a push. I try something like this for the next few testing sessions.

4 Torpor Orb
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Counterspell
    4 Mental Misstep
    4 Counterbalance
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Standstill

4 Wasteland
    3 Mishra's Factory
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Academy Ruins
    4 Tundra
    4 Island

Side
    3 Peacekeeper
    3 Sword to Plowshares
    3 Spell Pierce
    3 Meddling Mage
    3 "Meta slots"
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

what do they actually do ?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Waikiki View Post
    what do they actually do ?
    -> card discussion forum Section

Mental-Misstep

Torpor-Orb
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    With the 2 new additions of Mental Misstep and Torpor Orb this Deck will get a push. I try something like this for the next few testing sessions.
    So you are throwing away perfectly good Stifles for this? I wouldn't agree with you on this one. Stifle is more versatile, combined with Wasteland they are effective at gaining tempo advantage. Stifle also gives you a built-in protection against storm. I would rather play a 5th-6th Trickbind over this card if you are worrying about Misstep. Torpor Orb also doesn't pitch to Force and turns off your tutors (Trinket Mages).
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I'm testing it. Not questioning established cards is foolish. Storm is rarely an argument, even decent Storm pilots duress or chant before their stromspell. The remaining question is how valueable stifling fetches is atm...

Trinket mage is a mana- and speedsink and ~ 2 Trinket mages are replaceable by running the full set of naughts compared to other lists. Bluecount isn't near a problem.

Orb gains additional value by shutting off goblins and elves by "stifling" ringleaders, matrons, siedge gang, etc.

Join us at Facebook!

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

Orb isnt great but that counter is awesome!

I've been testing this to a significant amount of success so far. Torpor Orb shuts down Trinket Mage, so the logical conclusion is to pull Mage entirely and replace it with E Tutor. Spellskite is also excellent for this deck since it protects our Dreadnoughts from removal. One thing that people seem to neglect about Torpor Orb is that it makes multiple Dreadnoughts in your hand significantly less atrocious. I feel like I may need to get another Mental Misstep or two in here, but this is functioning well so far.

PS: Removing Stifle is definitely the wrong call. I'm never unhappy to draw it, with or without a Nought. It just smashes so many strategies. A deck that doesn't have Fetchlands will most certainly have ETB triggers, activated abilities and/or Wastelands. They are always excellent in just about every MU.

4 Stifle
    4 Force of Will
    2 Mental Misstep
    2 Daze
    2 Spell Snare
    2 Spell Pierce

4 Brainstorm
    3 Standstill
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    3 Spellskite
    2 Torpor Orb
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Enigineered Explosives

4 Mishra's Factory
    3 Wasteland
    1 Academy Ruins

3 Flooded Strand
    3 Scalding Tarn

2 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island

1 Island
    1 Plains

1 Seat of the Synod

Sideboard:
    3 Pyroblast
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Peacekeeper
    2 Firespout
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Engineered Explosives

I'm actually wondering if dreadstill has a huge gain from the new spoiled set, 1 torpor orb could at least replace the commonly-accepted trickbind, which together, with academy ruins, make the controll MU better (who cares if they counter dreadnought now?) and perhaps dazes could finally be replaced by mental misstep. Spell snare + mental misstep could prove really powerful I think

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Torpor Orb is pretty janky, but granted, it does has a nice ability on shutting down CiP abilities of opposing creatures, so it's not entirely dead in this deck. A 1-off replacing the lone trickbind seems to work nice without risk on drawing multiples.
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Apr 2011
    Portland, OR

Hey guys, long time Lurker, first time poster.

I think you are underestimating Torpor Orb. It shuts down so many problem cards it's kind of silly. Anything from Gilded Drake to Alluren.dec gets stopped cold. Sure, if Orb is forced down early (goblins come to mind), you'll have to play around it with your Trinket Mage, but it hardly seems like an issue at all. (Edit: Just run Tutor over the Mage. This opens up options like Crucible.) As others are saying, it should likely take the place of Trickbind as either a one or two-of.

As for Mental Misstep... yeah, this easily takes the place of Daze. I was leaning heavily on Lavamancers for my tribal matchup, but 8 turn zero answers to Vial makes me feel like he's not needed any more. This also makes me far more inclined to splash white for Peacekeeper and Swords over REB's and Firespouts. Additionally, I feel like Standstill is still inferior to Bob, if only to draw hate from your 'Noughts now that Lavamancer is out.

A tentative list:

6 Fetch
    6 Duals
    4 Wasteland
    3 Island
    1 Academy Ruins

4 Dreadnought
    4 Confidant
    3 Trinket Mage Enlightened Tutor

2 Jace

4 Stifle
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Mental Misstep
    4 Force of Will
    3 Spell Snare
    3 Counterbalance
    2 Top
    1 EE
    1 Needle
    1 Torpor Orb

Edit: So, Enlightened Tutor. Yep. Brainfart.
    Last edited by iPhael; 04-20-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Derp.

Nov 2006
    London

If you're running 4 Misstep, Standstill looks pretty good.

Apr 2011
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    If you're running 4 Misstep, Standstill looks pretty good.
    I was just debating that as well. Replacing the Bobs with Standstill, and then finding room for a Crucible seems like a solid change. Running 90% Blue cards also opens up the option for Factories, which seem like an auto-include if you're running Standstill. The list would look very similar to the original, which is completely fine by me.

Nov 2006
    London

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to cut bob.

Here's a list I drew up:

4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    3 Dark Confidant
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Stifle
    3 Mental Misstep (time will tell how good this is... maybe 4)
    2 Spell Snare
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculpter
    3 Standstill
    3 Counterbalance
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Torpor Orb
    1 Oblivion Ring (better than EE here and a nice 3cc for Counterbalance)
    3 Wasteland
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tundra
    3 Island

Sideboard:
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Nature's Ruin
    1 Perish
    1 Mental Misstep
    3 Peacekeeper
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Serenity
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Plains

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

You all know that the Orb also combos with all creatures with persist, the hunted Cycle (hunted horror is very interesting), eater of days, evoke and other shit?

Maybe we get more out of this card if we question the Confidants and dazes etc. And try more offensive options?

Join us at Facebook!

any of these lists running the orb should be running academy ruins for many reasons: it makes countering your dreadnought a non issue, especially considering the predicted rise of mental misstep, it makes countering your orb a non-issue, and it makes removal o' your nought (exluding exile) a non issue and you could also play explosives!

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

My suggested list run ruins. If a dreadnought(+stifle) was countered, bounced or destroyed Dreadstill was far behind of Cards and speed. With orb and ruins you keep on recasting them for a colorless again and again (2u with academy). This makes the deck much more consistant

Join us at Facebook!

Hey guys,
    Heading to SGC open Boston this weekend and just finished deproxying my Dreadstill w/o the still list. Have been doing a ton of testing and interested in people's opinions on some card selection choices. After looking at a starcitygames.com article summarizing the field at the last few opens merfolk and goblins are still very popular decks out there despite goblins not doing well. I expect a lot of merfolk and a decent # of goblins (in the early rounds). I am playing the deck b/c I like the combo matchup and the deck is just fun to play but want to do well. My build is pretty standard UWB.

I am currently not running standstill/factory simply because I feel these weaken the tribal matchups even more preboard and play to the matchups where the deck is already strong i.e. combo/slower aggro. Good idea or bad? I like the stability of the mana base and think that Bob provides a good draw engine already.

Is there anyways to improve the tribal matchups preboard w/o splashing red? Basically you are hoping for early nought or them not to get a vial draw and lock the game up with balance. This can be pretty tough.

Postboard I am bringing in 3 plague and the peacekeeper plan versus Folk. My issue has been simply merfolk decks are adapting to the increase in Dredge by adding echoing truth to their board. So not only do I need to draw peacekeeper and land it through countermagic I need to set up a countertop lock with a 2 on top at all times or just have a counter heavy draw w/peacekeeper. In addition I'm afraid some merfolk decks may bring in multiple pithing needles and lock out my Jace in which case I have no win con outside of EEing their needle and hoping they dont have another. Is the peacekeeper plan the only/best option? It feels slow and although it gets you wins it also creates a situation where you are likely to go to time vs a commonly played archtype where you have lost game 1. Granted I am doing a ton of testing so I may not have this issue but would like a better board plan if it exists.

Is 4 color an option for Firespout/grim lavamancer or should I be playing wrath effects or boarding into a enlightened tutor package with ensaring bridge/moat?

Here's my list any suggestions are welcome:
    4 Flooded strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Tundra
    2 Island
    4 Wasteland
    1 Plains (hate running 1 Plains sideboard for peacekeeper)

(enough land?)

4 Dark Confidant
    3 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    2 Trinket Mage

4 Stifle
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Counterbalance
    3 Top
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Force of Will
    3 Daze
    2 Jace TMS
    1 EE
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Flex Slot (been trying Vindicate to supplement land death package but too slow, spell snare, pierce mainboard?)

Sideboard:
    1 Counterbalance
    3 Peacekeeper
    3 Perish
    3 Engineered Plague
    3 Spell Pierce
    1 Tormond's Crypt
    1 Relic of Prog

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Mental Misstep should be easily a 4 of, as it counters Hierarch, Lackey, Vial and Green Zenith at 0 into Dryad Arbor, which are the first turn drops that weaken our chances of mana screwing opponent trough Wasteland and Stifle. I see Misstep as the natural tempo complement of Stifle- Waste package. Having a total of 8 answers to those strong turn 1 plays means that Standstill should be an easy 4 of; running 4 Standstill also means that 4 Factories are requested. That's what I'm testing at the moment.

-Manabase

4 Wasteland
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Flooded Strand
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Academy Ruins (debatable, could be one more basic or even better 4th Usea)

-Card advantage and filtering

4 Brainstorm
    4 Standstill
    2 Sensei's Divining Top

-Creatures

4 Dark Confidant (are you serious? cut Confidants? I mean, did you ever resolve one in a match?)
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    2 Hunted Horror ( still a cool 7/7 trampler with no drawbacks since we are running 5 Stifle effects and 3 Orbs.)

-Counters and utilities

4 Fow
    4 Mental Misstep
    3 Spell Snare
    4 Stifle
    1 Trickbind
    3 Torpor Orb

2 Jaces should fit in here, maybe -1 Trickbind +2 Jaces leading to 61 cards. I'ts important to push the denial plan because you don't want opponent to reach 3 mana to Grip Orb in response of Hunted Horror or Dreadnought. R splash could be interesting for Sb REB's and Spout.

Sideboard (still work in progress)

3 Perish
    3 Counterbalance
    1 Top
    3 Hydroblast
    2 Extripate
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

I believe you're heading in the right direction. However, 3 orbs are definately too much since, as it stands right now, they are a BONUS to the deck and should probably be replacing trickbinds since they essentially fill the same function. They aren't exactly the best top-deck either. I'd absolutely not run more than 2.

hunted horror is another mistake imo, at least in this deck. Hunted horror is cool but it doesnt fit the archetype, its simply another kind of deck and double swamp is pretty much a no-go already. Hunted horror is, I believe, only a "win more" card. If you go for early horror, you first need to have orbs (and you cant have too many orbs in deck, and even if you draw both, its going to take time to play them) and also leaves you vulnerable to wasteland. HH simply isnt neccessary.

I believe many dreadstill builds will go back to actually being dreadstill (standstill), because of Mental misstep since you can now protect yourself better vs r1 nacatl/lackey/vial/whatever. MM has huge potential in this deck assuming one can build the correct shell around it.

MM should probably replace daze.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackehehe View Post
    I believe you're heading in the right direction. However, 3 orbs are definately too much since, as it stands right now, they are a BONUS to the deck and should probably be replacing trickbinds since they essentially fill the same function. They aren't exactly the best top-deck either. I'd absolutely not run more than 2.
    You are probably right, as they are terrible if seen in multiples. I'll test them in 2x.

hunted horror is another mistake imo, at least in this deck. Hunted horror is cool but it doesnt fit the archetype, its simply another kind of deck and double swamp is pretty much a no-go already. Hunted horror is, I believe, only a "win more" card. If you go for early horror, you first need to have orbs (and you cant have too many orbs in deck, and even if you draw both, its going to take time to play them) and also leaves you vulnerable to wasteland. HH simply isnt neccessary.
    Is win more when you have Dreadnought in hand, but when you don't have one is still a solid 7/7. Also the deck doesn't need ''early'' horror and Noughts, since has enough mana denial and permission to hinder opponent's first 3-4 turns and drop a beater on turn 5.
    Notice that Horror can be Stifle'd if you don't have an Orb out. I'm pretty sure that, if the deck plays nicely,any opponent running Wasteland will be more than happy to keep it for mana , instead of destroying our lands.

I believe many dreadstill builds will go back to actually being dreadstill (standstill), because of Mental misstep since you can now protect yourself better vs r1 nacatl/lackey/vial/whatever. MM has huge potential in this deck assuming one can build the correct shell around it.

MM should probably replace daze.
    That's exactly what I thought. Anyway, my 75's are only a draft and I'm open to suggestions. I'll definitely test -1 Orb and -1 Horror, maybe +2 JTMS. I still want some more beaters synergistic with Orb. Eater of Days maybe? :D
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Thread Information