Page 172 of 279 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174175176182222272 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,440 of 5564

Thread: [Deck] UW(x) Landstill

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007
    Michigan, specificly Lansing

Re: [DTW] UW(x) Landstill

correct. i dont appreciate wasteland as others do in this archtype. the idea of running wasteland as a 3 of (ive tested 2 and its disgusting) is bad because i deffinately have 0 interest in vindicate. thus im not looking to wastelock opponents and while i can agree that cow is better with wasteland i have to express the reasoning behind cow is that i was having issues with color efficiencys as ive been having for a while. its odd because i have a damn good manabase (probobly one of the most color consistent in the thread) i may end up cutting cow or dragon as 24 is just fine and honestly with top this shouldnt be happening. but following old logic 7 shuffles with an enabler (top) should be perfect. plus e dragon against mana denial is nuts as citrus pointed out.

also note that i cut doj for cow. i didnt want to but this basicly enables larger doj token crunches then im used to. and also a stronger inevitability for the lock (elspeth disk protected by cow and ruins.) im happy for now.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

I've been playing Bant Survival for a while and it has caused me to take a break fromt he game. Playing the same deck against mostly the same deck for weeks straight gets a little tiresome. So, I need something different and something I have always loved is control, mostly Landstill. A deck that excels in the late game and has tools to fight many different decks. I hate just not having a shot against a particular deck.

I know the most common version is UWb and for good reason. Tribal is a force and Plague is a good way to handle. However, I really dislike Wasteland in Landstill. The tempo just can't be taken advantage in a control deck. The only reason to play Wasteland is to hit things like opposing man lands ie Mutavault or other Factories. I don't think that justifies it. Instead, I wanted to fill the slot of Wasteland with Nantuko Monastery, a card that pretty much everyone played a while back but has since been left behind. This basically means I am splashing green. Is it better than splashing black? In all honesty, I don't think it matters much. Plague is mediocre against most tribals since now all of them are playing 4-12 pump lords. Extripate is a great wish target, but there is other GY hate out there. Vindicate is a card that will be missed, but Cunning Wish can offer the same kind of versatility.

So, here is the unchiseled list. 64 cards of awesome (my opinion, probably not yours ). I want the build to have answers to the most common things faced in Legacy while still having the raw power Landstill is supposed to have.

4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Nantuko Monastery
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Tundra
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Savannah
    2 Island
    2 Plains

2 Elspeth
    2 Decree of Justice
    1 Eternal Dragon

4 Force of Will
    3 Spell Snare
    3 Counterspell

4 Brainstorm
    3 Standstill
    3 Cunning Wish
    2 Fact or Fiction

4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Path to Exile
    3 Engineered Explosives
    3 Wrath of God
    1 Humility
    1 Nevinyrral's Disk

SB
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Counterspell
    1 Fact or Fiction
    1 Dismantling Blow
    1 Pulse of the Field
    1 Wing Shards

Of course it needs to be cut down at least 3 cards, but since I haven't been able to test as much as I have liked, it feels stupid to already picking things apart anymore.

I think most of the card choices are self explanatory, but there are a few that might need them.

Cunning Wish is the versatility slot that I love. Bomb late game, can grab cheaper answers early, can be CA, removal, a counter, etc. It also grabs Pulse which IMO is huge in today's metagame.

I hate Humility - or I did. I used to play it in Wombat for the longest time since it was such a bomb, but time after time seeing it get destroyed via Grip or B Wish --> Hull Breach, etc so that the opponent could swing in for lethal. However, I am a better player now. It is a bomb preboard, but needs to be taken out postboard. It just destroys Survival, Zoo, Goblins, Elves, Merfolk, etc and just makes all your cards better in comparison (Decree, Elspeth, man lands).

To finish this post off, I figure I should at least post the cards that are on the chopping block. The ones that are going to be looked at more closely than all the others.

The second Fact
    The two Paths
    The fourth Brainstorm

And last but not least, attacking with a 7/7 flying trampling insect monk is amazing.

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007

if you were to say go green i would say lftl needs to be there and something u havent thought of probobly is intuition for lftl wasteland (1ofs) along with ruins?.

plague is actually better then your giving it credit for. in the ichorid matchup it goes in as well.

im on myphone txting this so i cant really go into more detail without giving my thumbs dual sprains.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by mossivo1986 View Post
    if you were to say go green i would say lftl needs to be there and something u havent thought of probobly is intuition for lftl wasteland (1ofs) along with ruins?.

plague is actually better then your giving it credit for. in the ichorid matchup it goes in as well.

im on myphone txting this so i cant really go into more detail without giving my thumbs dual sprains.
    Yeah, I know about Plague and Ichorid. I'm not trying to say its bad, just not worth the splash.

And the Intuition thing is something I wanted to try. Putting the list together got me thinking about Intuition-Still. However, it doesn't fit with Cunning Wish and in my meta, I would rather have the versatility.

Still, Loam does need to be in the SB at least. I'll cut a couple wish targets to squeeze two in there.

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    Yeah, I know about Plague and Ichorid. I'm not trying to say its bad, just not worth the splash.

And the Intuition thing is something I wanted to try. Putting the list together got me thinking about Intuition-Still. However, it doesn't fit with Cunning Wish and in my meta, I would rather have the versatility.

Still, Loam does need to be in the SB at least. I'll cut a couple wish targets to squeeze two in there.

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007

1. dont do that.

2. check ur pm box.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

After talking with mossivo, the list has changed.

3 Mishra's Factory
    2 Nantuko Monastery
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Wasteland
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Tundra
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Savannah
    2 Plains
    2 Island

2 Elspeth
    2 Decree of Justice
    1 Eternal Dragon

4 Force of Will
    3 Spell Snare
    3 Counterspell

3 Brainstorm
    3 Standstill
    3 Cunning Wish
    1 Fact or Fiction
    1 Life from the Loam

4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 EE
    3 Wrath of God
    1 Humility
    1 Nevinyrral's Disk

SB
    3 Anti-Ichorid
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Pulse of the Fields
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Intuition
    1 Counterspell
    1 Wing Shards
    1 Seed Spark
    1 Ravenous Trap

The list is trimmed down and also adds Loam to abuse the man lands and can be grabbed via Cunning Wish --> Intuition.

Too Retarded to Live
    Mar 2009

No. splashing green just for nantuko monastery and 1 lftl. no. black splash vindicate gives you so much more ways of dealing with threats than a land that you can recur with 1 lftl. Its bad. Lets see, im gonna just swords your man lands, what are you going to do now huh?? why would you even lftl. thats all of your answers. I think thats just pointless. Theres no point to dredging away your answers. Unless you have a better reason for splashing green than just playing natuko that dies from removal Its just bad. LFTL singleton, thats the most random thing ive ever seen. Might as well just play crucible in the main of black splash. At least you get e. plague and extirpate.

Nov 2006
    Hungary

I'm a sucker for Intuition combos of all sorts, but Cunning Wish -> Intuition -> Loam? Are you ever going to have time to do that and still have it matter?

I like playing a bunch of Tops, and then a couple of Loams solely for the purpose of casting one later in the game so you can keep making land drops, and then maybe dredging it back again three turns later. This also happens to be 3-1 card advantage, and then you can use your Top to draw spells all the time. Of course, fitting Brainstorm, Standstill, Cunning Wish, and Top in the same deck is going to be difficult, so maybe this isn't very relevant for your deck.
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshepherdman View Post
    No. splashing green just for nantuko monastery and 1 lftl. no. black splash vindicate gives you so much more ways of dealing with threats than a land that you can recur with 1 lftl. Its bad. Lets see, im gonna just swords your man lands, what are you going to do now huh?? why would you even lftl. thats all of your answers. I think thats just pointless. Theres no point to dredging away your answers. Unless you have a better reason for splashing green than just playing natuko that dies from removal Its just bad. LFTL singleton, thats the most random thing ive ever seen. Might as well just play crucible in the main of black splash. At least you get e. plague and extirpate.
    I can't even understand this post half the time. The list I posted is UW Landstill that has a small splash for a bigger man land, better land recursion, and an uncounterable disenchant. I find it funny that my list sucks because it doesn't include a 3cc sorcery spell that is out of the colors I am playing. Vindicate is far from necessary and Cunning Wish provides me with the versatility I need that doesn't require me to have 2 of my splash colors in a format dominated by Wasteland right now.

How is adding more man lands a bad thing, when you are talking about them getting removed? The more I have after one is removed one the better. And so what if you give me 4 life and take away one, I have other win conditions in the deck. Waste your removal on my lands because I'll love it when a 5/5 flying dragon comes down.

Life from the Loam is for the late game when your man lands have been wasted or died from blocking, or when you just want to continue hitting your land drops. It isn't necessary but its something nice to have when you need it.

Learn to capitalize.

Illissius
    I'm a sucker for Intuition combos of all sorts, but Cunning Wish -> Intuition -> Loam? Are you ever going to have time to do that and still have it matter?

I like playing a bunch of Tops, and then a couple of Loams solely for the purpose of casting one later in the game so you can keep making land drops, and then maybe dredging it back again three turns later. This also happens to be 3-1 card advantage, and then you can use your Top to draw spells all the time. Of course, fitting Brainstorm, Standstill, Cunning Wish, and Top in the same deck is going to be difficult, so maybe this isn't very relevant for your deck.
    I am not sure about Intuition yet. It is incredibly slow so maybe the slot would be better as FoF since it gets me cards now. Still, it should be tested.

I just don't like tops. Meaning, I would play them if I could, but since there is just no room for them, they have to stay out. I would love to play 4 Brainstorm, 3 Top, 4 Standstill, 3 Cunning Wish, and 3 Fact or Fiction, but it won't fit.

just wants to cuddle
    Jan 2006
    Geneseo NY

So I went 5-1-2 yesterday at the Lotus tournament yesterday. I lost to 43-land.dec (surprise!) and drew against my friend playing ichorid and, agrivatingly keeping me from T8ing, "exalted zoo." I dropped one game in the first 5 rounds of the tournament to Happy Gilmore with Zoo, and beat Ugr dreadstill, Ugb countertop, rock-guy, Bant (the one that T8'd I think), and... something else. I'll let you guys know when I remember.
    I'm here to kick ass and play card games.

BZK

Jun 2008
    Central NY

@rsaunder: D: that second draw sucks. sorry dude.

I manage to take 8th place at the Lotus tournament on Saturday, going 6-1-1 in the swiss.

I lost to Merfolk in the swiss and 43 Lands in the top 8. I tied round 1 against Canadian Thresh. Wins were: ANT, Bant Survival, Dragon Stompy, UGB-Intuition-Dark Depths, UWb Landstill mirror, and Bant Natural Order.

I'll try and get a fleshed out report up later today.

List:

4 Tundra
    1 Underground Sea
    3 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 ScrubLand
    2 Island
    2 Plains
    1 Swamp
    3 Mishra’s Factory
    3 Wasteland
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Standstill
    3 Brainstorm
    2 Fact or Fiction
    4 Force of Will
    3 Counterspell
    3 Spell Snare
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Engineered Explosives
    2 Wrath of God
    1 Humility
    1 Crucible of the Worlds
    2 Sensei’s Divining Top
    2 Elspeth Knight Errant
    1 Decree of Justice
    1 Eternal Dragon

sb
    2 Vindicate
    2 Duress
    3 Meddling Mage
    2 Negate
    1 Counterspell
    1 Ajani Goldmane
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Path to Exile

Sep 2006
    Gent / Flanders

Some questions on your list:

How was humility for you?
    Isn't a one-off a bit random? I tried it myself, but I felt that having 1 is just not right. I wanted 2 but then I had to cut something and I never figured out what I could cut.
    Either it is a 2-of or maybe even 3, but as a 1-of without means to search for it...
    How many times was ruins useful for you?
    Why no arid mesa? Ever had color issues with your manabase?

About your sideboard:

Why no plague? Did you miss it at all?
    How was meddling mage? Did you feel that 3 was the right number?
    Which match-ups is duress for and did they serve their purpose?
    Why the lone Ajani Goldmane? Was it enough?

PS: congrats on your result btw
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what's for lunch.

Ok I never post on this site but I do read it about once a week. I play on MWS a lot and I do know humility is beast. I lose about once every 15 maches and im not sure why people dont like humility. Almost everybody plays creatures and combined with engineered plague post you cant lose to creatures....at all. Anyways, the only decks I have problems with are counterbalance and even then if I get enough mana I win. Heres my list.....
    4 brainstorm
    4 spell snare
    4 swords
    4 standstill
    2 wrath
    2 humility
    1 cunning wish
    3 counterspell
    4 force of will
    3 e explosives
    1 pulse of the fields
    2 decree of justice
    1 enlightened tutor
    1 eternal dragon

lands: 3 polluted delta
    3 flooded strand
    5 island
    2 plains
    4 tundra
    2 wasteland
    4 mishras factory
    1 scrubland

side: 1 wipe away
    1 enlightend tutor
    1 aura of silence
    3 engineered plague
    1 pulse of the fields
    1 tormods crypt
    2 extirpate
    1 wing shards
    1 return to dust
    1 crucible of worlds
    1 circle of protection red
    1 path to exile

just wants to cuddle
    Jan 2006
    Geneseo NY

Quote Originally Posted by RogueMTG View Post
    @rsaunder: D: that second draw sucks. sorry dude.
    I wish we'd put 2 landstill builds in the T8, I feel more sorry for the archtype than for my lack of prizes. It trounced everything without question until the last three rounds. Such a strong deck right now. Congrats though, glad you made it the distance!

Anyway, how'd wasteland and academy ruins work out for you? I played a basic-heavy build instead of the utility lands and didn't miss them very much all day while the ability to consistently hit basics for the first 3 land drops helped out a lot. And vindicate SB? Interesting. Other than that, love your list. FOF and SDT together MB is so overwhelmingly powerful.
    I'm here to kick ass and play card games.

BZK

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

Seems like a lot of landstill players went 5-X-X at the lotus event on saturday. I went 5-3 beating 43 land, zoo x3, survival and losing to goyf sligh, zoo, and tes (mulligan to 5 both games doesn't get there ever.)

My list was pretty standard.

// Lands
    3 [ON] Flooded Strand
    1 [ON] Polluted Delta
    3 [B] Tundra
    2 [B] Underground Sea
    1 [B] Scrubland
    2 [UNH] Island
    2 [UNH] Plains
    1 [UNH] Swamp
    3 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (4)
    3 [REW] Wasteland
    1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
    1 [ZEN] Marsh Flats

// Creatures
    1 [PR] Eternal Dragon

// Spells
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    4 [FNM] Swords to Plowshares
    4 [MM] Brainstorm
    3 [JGC] Counterspell
    3 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    3 [DIS] Spell Snare
    3 [OD] Standstill
    2 [JGC] Cunning Wish
    2 [SC] Decree of Justice
    2 [ALA] Elspeth Knight-Errant
    2 [IN] Fact or Fiction
    2 [REW] Wrath of God
    1 [10E] Crucible of Worlds
    1 [TE] Humility
    1 [JGC] Vindicate

// Sideboard
    SB: 3 [FNM] Engineered Plague
    SB: 3 [MOR] Negate
    SB: 1 [PLC] Extirpate
    SB: 2 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
    SB: 1 [ARE] Enlightened Tutor
    SB: 1 [DS] Pulse of the Fields
    SB: 2 [CNF] Path to Exile
    SB: 1 [ZEN] Ravenous Trap
    SB: 1 [B] Nevinyrral's Disk

Ravenous Trap was kind of bad. I didn't cast it once but I brought it in against combo and survival but never played ichorid so I would assume its mainly for ichorid. The rest of my sideboard was pretty amazing. Disk was for the mirror, enchantress, natural order, cb, and staxs strategies. Negate was amazing all day against zoo saving me from pop and other such annoying stuff like choke and moon. The one of vindicate got boarded out almost every game. I'm sure it would have been good against stax if I played it but I just feel that disk is better in that slot or any one of the following cards: decree/elspeth/fof/wrath.

I do agree with you rsaunder, landstill can still smash just about anything. I don't want to see landstill drop out of DTW status.

I just don't like tops. Meaning, I would play them if I could, but since there is just no room for them, they have to stay out. I would love to play 4 Brainstorm, 3 Top, 4 Standstill, 3 Cunning Wish, and 3 Fact or Fiction, but it won't fit.
    If I could fit it, I would run that same draw package.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Goblin Piledriver
    Jul 2008
    Netherlands

So you actually board in negate against zoo? I bring in 2 or 3 paths (depending on how many are in my sideboard) and 2 ajani goldmane and that's about it, often boarding out jace and counterspells.
    Hello friend.

Punter
    Feb 2008
    Worcester, MA

@sengir:
    Humility can often be too slow against decks like Merfolk, Goblins and Zoo when not coupled with cheap, early answers. I've lost to Merfolk with Humility on the table. Yes, it is a powerful card and will often force your opponent to over-extend into a mass-removal effect, but it also exposes you to situations where your opponent can Krosan Grip for the win. Those are the reasons why I'm hesitant to run it.

@rockout:
    How did you beat 43Lands? Grave-hate? Force on Manabond? I've found that to be an absolutely dreadful matchup for Landstill, hopefully Ben's success with the deck this past weekend won't significantly increase it's popularity.

Itīs just more individual party in your head.
    Apr 2007
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by sengirvmpr View Post
    Ok I never post on this site but I do read it about once a week. I play on MWS a lot and I do know humility is beast. I lose about once every 15 maches and im not sure why people dont like humility. Almost everybody plays creatures and combined with engineered plague post you cant lose to creatures....at all. Anyways, the only decks I have problems with are counterbalance and even then if I get enough mana I win. Heres my list.....
    4 brainstorm
    4 spell snare
    4 swords
    4 standstill
    2 wrath
    2 humility
    1 cunning wish
    3 counterspell
    4 force of will
    3 e explosives
    1 pulse of the fields
    2 decree of justice
    1 enlightened tutor
    1 eternal dragon

lands: 3 polluted delta
    3 flooded strand
    5 island
    2 plains
    4 tundra
    2 wasteland
    4 mishras factory
    1 scrubland

side: 1 wipe away
    1 enlightend tutor
    1 aura of silence
    3 engineered plague
    1 pulse of the fields
    1 tormods crypt
    2 extirpate
    1 wing shards
    1 return to dust
    1 crucible of worlds
    1 circle of protection red
    1 path to exile

Sry, but you cannot post a list without Elspeth and expect some serious comments :/ You play 1 Wish and 6 targets? srsly?
    But you get +1 for noticing how sick humility is...but then again, itīs -1 for not noticing that ELspeth+Humility is even sicker :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordel View Post
    I'm not crying about it...I'm using as an example to illustrate why you should not be taken seriously.
    DCI: 68 10 43 34

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Misplayer View Post
    @rockout:
    How did you beat 43Lands? Grave-hate? Force on Manabond? I've found that to be an absolutely dreadful matchup for Landstill, hopefully Ben's success with the deck this past weekend won't significantly increase it's popularity.
    Game 1 he went turn 1 manabond dropping maze, treetop, savannah, mutavault, and other. I sworded his treetop, took some damage from mutavault and went wish for e tutor for crucible t4 and spent the next 10 turns trying to kill all his man lands dropping to 4 before I completely locked him. I eventually go to the point where he could only play 1 land a turn after I ee'd manabond while forcing his gamble at some point during the game. Game 2 he went turn 1 gamble which I forced, t2 manabond into basically the same hand as before but having double wasteland. I got pretty lucky and proceeded to not only rip 7 lands in my first 7 turns, but also 4 of my 6 stp effects in the first 10 turns. He eventually gambled for loam and went to cast it to bring back waste x2 to which I would have lost because my mana base was so fragile. I am gripping extirpate and I ask for his targets from loam because I was either going to hit wasteland or wait and hit loam. He declared no targets for loam and I did the happy dance in my head to which I extirpated loam and he scooped em up.

In closing, Crucible main > 43land.dec

Quote Originally Posted by NQN View Post
    Sry, but you cannot post a list without Elspeth and expect some serious comments :/ You play 1 Wish and 6 targets? srsly?
    But you get +1 for noticing how sick humility is...but then again, itīs -1 for not noticing that ELspeth+Humility is even sicker :)
    I got survival to scoop to t5 humility g1 on saturday. :-)
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Thread Information