Page 227 of 279 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237277 ... LastLast
Results 4,521 to 4,540 of 5564

Thread: [Deck] UW(x) Landstill

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Re: [Deck] UW(x) Landstill

Quote Originally Posted by Metalwalker View Post
    These are indeed the bad matchups.
    Bad Mu's? Today I had a small tournament, 8 people for a Jace TMS. I went:

1st turn: 2-0 AggroLoam.
    2nd Turn: 2-0 Storm Combo.
    3rd Turn: ID with Goblins.
    4th Turn: 1-1 with Zoo, not useful for T4 since he was at 3 points and could not pass to Top4 even winning, so he concedes. I lost 1st game because I mulliganed to 6, keeping an awful hand.

Semifinals: 1-1 Aggroloam, then opponent concedes after 75 minutes for 2 matches, he was tired and very hungry lol.I lost first match due to turn 1 chalice @1 and turn 2 chalice @ 0.
    Final: 2-0 Storm Combo again.

Meddling Mage is THE SB card. Amazing against Loam and Storm, and very useful against plenty of decks. I was playing 3 Spell Pierce in SB, too. Ah, one last thing: in my opinion this deck should play 24lands including a singleton Celestial Colonnade, because wins games.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

What was your list? The most recent one you posted? I have no qualms with a singleton Colonnade. Dodges Choke, and is a win-condition not taking the slot of a non-land. Anything more than 1 or 2 will become highly debatable and possibly detrimental to the early game of the deck.

Semifinals: 1-1 Aggroloam, then opponent concedes after 75 minutes for 2 matches, he was tired and very hungry lol.I lost first match due to turn 1 chalice @1 and turn 2 chalice @ 0.
    Aggro Loam is perhaps what I consider the toughest matchup. But it does't mean it's impossible. Being a deck that is dependent on their engine, if they don't draw and utilize it or if you lock them out with MM postboard they won't do well. also the matchup is in Landstill's favor by a slight amount but I still consider it a tough one simply because the games drag out for so long and they have a better game 1 against us. You're lucky he conceded because from my experience, loam v.s. landstill matchups go to time quite frequently :P

Jan 2010
    Germany, NRW

I'm happy that you share my oppinion about Meddling Mage, as he's just a bomb against Combo, Lands, Dredge ,etc. etc. etc.
    Also congratz on the finish, 8 player fighting for a Jace? Nice :).
    Our music means nothing, except for what it means to
    you.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Felidae View Post
    I'm happy that you share my oppinion about Meddling Mage, as he's just a bomb against Combo, Lands, Dredge ,etc. etc. etc.
    Yeah, only 1st place gets prize. 10 Euros x 8 people = 80 Euros, wich is the normal price for a Jace here. Pretty good deal.
    Felidae, I have to thank you for suggesting it in SB. Truly amazing.

What was your list? The most recent one you posted? I have no qualms with a singleton Colonnade. Dodges Choke, and is a win-condition not taking the slot of a non-land. Anything more than 1 or 2 will become highly debatable and possibly detrimental to the early game of the deck.

Aggro Loam is perhaps what I consider the toughest matchup. But it does't mean it's impossible. Being a deck that is dependent on their engine, if they don't draw and utilize it or if you lock them out with MM postboard they won't do well. also the matchup is in Landstill's favor by a slight amount but I still consider it a tough one simply because the games drag out for so long and they have a better game 1 against us. You're lucky he conceded because from my experience, loam v.s. landstill matchups go to time quite frequently :P
    I went 2-0 against Aggro Loam in the same tournament, first swiss round. I played pretty tightly and opened an amazing hand on the first game, something like Fow, Brainstorm, StP, Polluted, Flooded, Brainstorm, Crucible, there was no real struggle at all; second one I have to Fow a turn 1 Confidant and so I started with a little card disadvantage but I menaged to win thanks to Mages and EE recursion.

Plays Magic:TG with Yu-Gi-Oh! cards
    Aug 2010

Would you list what matchups you side MM in and what the the most important cards to name for each are? I get the duhs like Combo and Loam decks, but what other matchups are they used for? I was thinking of putting them in against Merfolk naming "Standstill", as I always board mine out against them.
    "Bingo, man, bingo. 7-Minute Abs. And we guarantee just as good a workout as the 8-minute folk."
    "You guarantee it? That's - how do you do that?"
    "If you're not happy with the first 7 minutes, we're gonna send you the extra minute free. You see? That's it. That's our motto. That's where we're comin' from. That's from A to B."

Jan 2010
    Germany, NRW

Dredge: Depends on the board state, but usually they are set on Cabal Therapy, as this protects Peacekeeper / Relics as well as taking away a sac outlet for the Bridges.
    38 Lands: Loam, then EE or whatever removal they have (if you don't know then pick Intuition)
    Aggro Loam: Loam, then Wish (if they use them) or Pulse/Dreams
    Enchantress: Presence or Argothian , depends on the hand
    UB DoomesdayEmrakul.dec: Doomesday (yeah its way to obvious)
    Dreadstill (Urg): Depends on gamestate, REB , Balance or Top
    Dreadstill (UWb) Balance / Top / Jace
    Thopter (UWb): E.Tutor / Balance or part of the Combo
    TES: Burning Wish / Infernal / IGG
    Geddon Staxx: Armageddon / Ravages of War, O Ring and Crucible
    UBG LS: Jace , Deed
    UWx LS: depending on game state and hand
    Sneackattack / SnT.dec. SnT then Sneack Attack (at least if you got the extra Hydroblast to deal with SA)
    Dreamshalls: Ok now this one is again way to obvious... SnT then Halls (again Hydroblast can counter Conflux to keep them of there Wincondition)
    Aluren: I guess you know it allready ;)
    Reanimator:Reanimate, Exhume then SnT
    Spanish Inquisition: Infernal, Belcher,Igg, Tendrils
    Pox: Smallpox and Pox
    Spring Tide / Solidarity: High Tide, Wish, nowaday also Time Spiral
    Belcher: Wish , Belcher and Empty (again it depends on the game state)
    MooswordBridge / Emrakul.Dec: SnT then Dreadnought

I'd thought about adding them against Standstill (to name Standstill or FoW), but as both Wrath and Explosiv tend tokill this guy to I kinda gave it up. Maybe he's worth testing again with Peacekeeper, at least if they start to run Echoing Truth again.
    you.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

What was your list? The most recent one you posted?
    No. I cutted Enlightened Tutors, this is my current list:

4 Flooded Strand
    1 Plains
    1 Island
    1 Academy ruins
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Tundra
    1 Tolaria West
    3 Wasteland
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Celestial Colonnade

3 Engineered Explosives
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Spell snare
    3 Standstill
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Counterspell
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Wrath of God
    1 Humility
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Elspeth, Knight Errant
    2 Fact or Fiction

SB:

2 Extirpate
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Ravenous Trap
    3 Engineered Plague
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Meddling Mage

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post

With all due respect, but how did chalice at 0 affect in any way that game? It counters absolutely nothing.

From my experience, aggro loam is not a bad matchup for UWx landstill, but it depends on configuration of the deck. Postboard it gets easier since grave removal usually comes in, and lists that run something like cunning wish main don't even have problems in game 1.

Congrats on your finish, winning twice against storm combo as landstill is very good result.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
    With all due respect, but how did chalice at 0 affect in any way that game? It counters absolutely nothing.

From my experience, aggro loam is not a bad matchup for UWx landstill, but it depends on configuration of the deck. Postboard it gets easier since grave removal usually comes in, and lists that run something like cunning wish main don't even have problems in game 1.

Congrats on your finish, winning twice against storm combo as landstill is very good result.
    It prevents EE from killing Chalice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Jan 2010
    Germany, NRW

It would counter Explosiv for 0 (in order to deal with Chalice), but due to the fact that we cann allways spend coloress mana for it and still set in at 0.... yeah its the wrong call.
    you.

May 2006
    Moscow, Russia

Under Chalice at 0 and 1, you need to have at least two colorless lands to play EE @ 0. Depending on the build, Landstill generally has 4-6 colorless lands. Getting two is tough job against aggro loam.

Jan 2010
    Germany, NRW

Hhm true, but I assume that those 8 lands in Kiks list might get the job done. However my first impession was indeed wrong, Chalice 0 is a fine play, even if it it still beatable with a good draw.
    you.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Hhm true, but I assume that those 8 lands in Kiks list might get the job done. However my first impession was indeed wrong, Chalice 0 is a fine play, even if it it still beatable with a good draw.
    It is a fine play indeed. Considering that he plays Wastelands and cycling lands, plus the deep digging power of Loam, it is easier for him to keep opponent out of certain color/colorless mana sources then for us to have two colorless in play at the same time to cast EE for 0, so he can safely develop his game.

By the way, I had a 60ish people tournament today and ended up with a rather disappointing 2-4. I realized that I can't beat Burn, wich is pretty sad, and heavy discard is really though. I am considering 4 Leyline of Sanctity in my sideboard, however playing Leylines is something I really hate (the entire ''Mull until you get one'' is ridicolous , even more ridicolous in a control deck like Landstill) and Spell pierces are not enough. What would you suggest?

May 2010
    bologna, italy

I suggest 4X baneslayer angel. if you reach turn 6 to swing it it's gg.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by serendib View Post
    I suggest 4X baneslayer angel. if you reach turn 6 to swing it it's gg.
    Mmmh. Serious suggestions anyone?

Dec 2009
    Denmark

Maindeck tops + CB in sb. Makes it so that you can cut MM.

May 2010
    bologna, italy

yes, it was serious.

you think you can kill burn with tokens and jace??? good luck !!! are you serious ???

I won games vs burn with a deck running just 4 fow, 3 counterspell, 4 esper charm and 4 baneslayer angels as the only usefulll cards in my deck vs burn.

otherwise use your leyline or COP:red .

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by serendib View Post
    yes, it was serious.

you think you can kill burn with tokens and jace??? good luck !!! are you serious ???

I won games vs burn with a deck running just 4 fow, 3 counterspell, 4 esper charm and 4 baneslayer angels as the only usefulll cards in my deck vs burn.

otherwise use your leyline or COP:red .
    Esper Charm has been discussed yet and while I like the card, it is very difficult to hit UWB on your 3rd turn, and after 3rd turn, Fof is better.Also I would never play it as a 4 of. Too mana intensive. I think reaching turn 6 against burn with only 4 Fow and 3 Counterspell is impossible.

FYI, I don't want to win against burn with tokens and jace, in fact I was looking for a suitable SB plan. Not something that hits the table on turn 5 and does something on turn 6.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    Esper Charm has been discussed yet and while I like the card, it is very difficult to hit UWB on your 3rd turn, and after 3rd turn, Fof is better.Also I would never play it as a 4 of. Too mana intensive. I think reaching turn 6 against burn with only 4 Fow and 3 Counterspell is impossible.

FYI, I don't want to win against burn with tokens and jace, in fact I was looking for a suitable SB plan. Not something that hits the table on turn 5 and does something on turn 6.
    Leyline of Sanctity pretty much destroys burn. If that's the only MU you worry about, run 4.
    It completely neuters their deck, except for their creatures, if they run any. And these should be handled by the rest of the deck pretty easily.
    This looks like a job for me.

Most of my posts will be written from my phone, so please excuse the eventual lack of proper typing.

I loathe burn with every fiber of my being. That smug look a burn player gets when they beat you, that THEY beat your 60$ dual lands with nothing but their own PWNZR skills and 10c lightning bolts is something I NEVER want to see. My recommendation is [card]Pulse of the Fields[/card]. It's nearly impossible for them to get through an active pulse of the field if you have a counterspell anywhere in the first four turns. Nidd's suggestion is also a good one.
    Rishadan Port is like scuba gear.
    --FoulQ

Thread Information