Page 78 of 107 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 2129

Thread: [Deck] UBGx Landstill

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: [Deck] UBGx Landstill

I took BUG Landstill to my weekly Legacy last night. The deck did well, didn't drop a game, although it was just a few rounds.

Here's the list:

3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Standstill
    4 Force of Will
    3 Counterspell
    2 Spell Snare
    1 Life from the Loam
    3 Innocent Blood
    1 Diabolic Edict
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Pernicious Deed
    1 Darkblast
    2 Snapcaster Mage

3 Underground Sea
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Verdant Catacomb
    3 Wasteland
    4 Mishra's Factory
    1 Creeping Tarpit
    1 Island
    1 Swamp

Sideboard
    1 Perish
    2 Egineered Plague
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Zuran Orb
    2 Chill
    1 Hydroblast
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 Extirpate
    2 Duress
    2 Flusterstorm

I'm not sure Garruk is correct, I just wanted another Planeswalker and I don't feel that Liliana really has enough synergy with the rest of the deck, since I want to keep cards in my hand. I could discard Lands, but with his deck, I really want to make my land drops, so I'm not really looking to max out on her. 4 Jace would be ok, but even with the new rules, I am not really looking to open up too many multiple Jace hands.

I was really pleased with the one Darkblast. I managed to take out a series of Delvers so I could keep my Bloods for Nemesis, Giest, etc.

I'm not sure that Edict was needed, I liked that it is an Instant, but I don't know it's necessary. I had it in when I wasn't going to run a Lili and when I added one of her back in, I didn't take it out.

The sideboard is a mess, as Elves and Burn are usually pretty over represented in our small meta. In fact, a kid playing his first competitive event went 3-1 with Burn and I would not be pleased losing to something that linear, hence the Chills and the Hydro with the Orb. I feel this deck is really well positioned in the current meta, although I might try to find another walker to run with Jace and a Lili, although Relentless may be the best one, since he can also be removal at times.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

May 2013
    Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by ElricTheWhiteWolf View Post
    I'm not sure Garruk is correct, I just wanted another Planeswalker and I don't feel that Liliana really has enough synergy with the rest of the deck, since I want to keep cards in my hand. I could discard Lands, but with his deck, I really want to make my land drops, so I'm not really looking to max out on her. 4 Jace would be ok, but even with the new rules, I am not really looking to open up too many multiple Jace hands.
    When it comes to Planes walkers your only options unfortunately are Jace Beleren, another Liliana, and Elspeth but Elspeth would do WAY more harm than good.

I'm not sure that Edict was needed, I liked that it is an Instant, but I don't know it's necessary. I had it in when I wasn't going to run a Lili and when I added one of her back in, I didn't take it out.
    I would personally keep the Diabolic Edict since it is one of your very few outs to a Sneak Attack, hard casted Emrakuel, or Æther Vial shenanigans. The fact that its two mana versus Innocent Blood probably won't ever matter much.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom6879 View Post
    When it comes to Planes walkers your only options unfortunately are Jace Beleren, another Liliana, and Elspeth but Elspeth would do WAY more harm than good.

I would personally keep the Diabolic Edict since it is one of your very few outs to a Sneak Attack, hard casted Emrakuel, or Æther Vial shenanigans. The fact that its two mana versus Innocent Blood probably won't ever matter much.
    A good point. I sometimes don't really think about Sneak Attack, as I rarely ever see it at our locals.

As for Garruk, I'll probably keep him in there for the time being, see how it goes. Thanks for the feedback though.

Looking to play this deck because it seems great right now, here's what I plan on starting with:

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Innocent Blood
    3 Pernicious Deed
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Life from the Loam
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Standstill
    3 Vendilion Clique
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Counterspell

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    3 Mishra's Factory
    2 Wasteland
    2 Island
    1 Swamp

Sideboard

3 Thoughtseize
    1 Flusterstorm
    2 Golgari Charm
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 Nihil Spellbomb
    2 Krosan Grip
    1 Darkblast

I'm playing 3 pierce and no snare because I'm more concerned with getting quickly combo'd out than I am with Stoneforge/Goyf. For the sideboard, I'm not sure if the Goyf plan is the best thing to do, or if including perish, blue blast, venser, or something else is better. I'm also not sure about grip, but both batterskull and blood moon seem problematic, and sadly golgari charm doesn't kill both. I'm also not sure if I want a forest in the board for when I bring in goyf against RUG.

Dec 2007
    Finland

Okay, here goes. Finnish Legacy Champs, 101 players, 2nd place. Lost in the finals against a good matchup, but your luck can't last forever. That makes it 13 wins in a row, if you take into account practice tournament last weeked that I sweeped. The list:

3 sea
    3 trop
    1 bayou
    8 fetch
    4 mishra
    2 tar pit
    3 waste

3 dr shaman
    1 clique

3 jace
    2 lily

4 standstill
    3 deed

2 seize
    1 inquisition
    1 loam

4 brainstorm
    4 force
    2 snare
    1 counterpell
    3 decay
    2 disfigure

SB:
    4 tarmo
    2 clique
    3 flusterstorm
    2 nihil spellbomb
    1 loam
    1 golgari charm
    1 toxic deluge
    1 notion thief

The matchups:

R1 ANT 2-0

G1 got just enough disruption with Shamans keeping his off threshold for Cabal Rit, him struggling to find blue mana and timely Clique and Snare to foil his last effort. G2 I kept one-lander with multiple Brainstorms and infty counters, and managed to dig for lands to take it home with an ease.

R2 Omni-Tell 2-1

G1 he had 2nd turn Show and tell with counter backup. Second game I got everything, and in third i mulled into following five: UG Sea, Thoughtseize, Thoughtseize, FoW, Clique.

R3 BUG Delver 1-0-1

This was neverending grind, as seen in result.

R4 BUG Delver 2-1

Won 1st game and then had to play Standstill in second one against his Delver as I got nothing but lands. It almost worked out, but got myself on too low life before breaking it myself that could not dig it out. Won 3rd game easily though.

R5 Sneak and Show 2-1

Lost 1st game as excepted and Liliana locked him out in the second after countering his T1 SNT. Third game was though, but I drew the right cards in right time. A bit luck is needed to win this MU.

R6 UWB Deathblade 2-0

Got paired down and had to play. My opponent was not really in the game, and dropped after the match despite he still had changes to win some prizes

R7 ANT ID into 1st seed swiss

Finally some food.

Top 8 Shardless BUG 2-0

Total blowout. G1 I got to take his Vision with discard and he was left for mostly lands. I also had mostly lands, but mine ran him over. G2 he suspended two Visions and I drew Notion Thief just when he was about to resolve the first one.

Top 4 BUG Delver 2-1

G1 I stabilized once, but he drew more gas while I drew bricks. Games 2 and 3 went according to plan.

Finals BUG Delver 1-2

G1 he got all the way with Delver, backed up with some Wasteland, Daze and usual stuff. G2 he got me low with Hymn, but I drew a fourt land just in time to turn tables with Jace. G3 I mulled to five and never drew a green source.

Toxic Deluge was the underarchiver of the day, but other than that I liked the list a lot. If Sneak and Show becomes more played, I'd make some adjustments - or just play a different deck. Otherwise, I wouldn't change a much.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Congrats Nastaboi!
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Deathrite Shaman + Deed
    Standstill + Discard

Care to explain your choices? The list looks really weird.

May 2013
    Oklahoma

As for Garruk, I'll probably keep him in there for the time being, see how it goes. Thanks for the feedback though.
    No problem! Garruk is nice on the front side and the flip side. He offers an endless stream of blockers. He's really a green Elspeth that doesn't jump creatures in the air and make them retarded big. He can also -2 and tutor up your Snapcasters. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by cuthbertthecat View Post
    I'm playing 3 pierce and no snare because I'm more concerned with getting quickly combo'd out than I am with Stoneforge/Goyf. For the sideboard, I'm not sure if the Goyf plan is the best thing to do, or if including perish, blue blast, venser, or something else is better. I'm also not sure about grip, but both batterskull and blood moon seem problematic, and sadly golgari charm doesn't kill both. I'm also not sure if I want a forest in the board for when I bring in goyf against RUG.
    I wouldn't be too worried about combo even pre board. You have:
    4x Force of Will
    3x Spell Pierce
    3x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2x Liliana of the Veil
    4x Standstill
    3x Vendilion Clique
    2x Counterspell

That's pretty good for game one against combo. It only gets better after board for you with;
    3x Thoughtseize
    1x Flusterstorm

You even have Tarmogoyf and Clique to clock them early on. I wouldn't worry unless they play Silence or Orim's Chant. Remember on the flip side Spell Snare is a hard counter for Burning Wish shenanigans. Lol

Also on another note I would like to ask why you guys are moving the three Vendilion Cliques into the main? Just curious. I've only tested them against Combo and Blade archetypes.

Dec 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Sigar View Post
    Deathrite Shaman + Deed
    Standstill + Discard

Care to explain your choices? The list looks really weird.
    I have been playing DRS for a quite some time, and I think it's quite essential for the deck. It just does so many things.

1) It fixes your colored mana, thus helping one inherit weakness of the deck. I think this is the most important reason. Without Shamans, I'd play 25 lands and maybe had to shave another colorless source.

2) It gives acceleration. As long as I can get several cards with Deed, I don't care if I lose my own Shaman in progress. Without Shaman I would have not even be able to cast and activate Deed in time, and losing Shaman at this point usually means that I already have enough mana to operate even without it.

3) It speeds up your clock, making you finish your matches in time.

4) Lifegain ability helps you stabilize in low life, often 2 or 4 extra life points is all you need.

5) Graveyard removal is relevant from time to time.

Maindeck discard is concession to combo matchup while not being dead in others. I usually side Thoughtseizes off against non-Mystic Delver decks, but otherwise they're from okay to great. First turn discard is an okay setup for second turn Standstill. While counters are better after Standstill, you should be more concerned how to get Standstill profitably in play, not how to win afterwards. And usually when they break Standstill, you can Decay their threat and then next turn make them discard whatever they were left with.

Also on another note I would like to ask why you guys are moving the three Vendilion Cliques into the main? Just curious. I've only tested them against Combo and Blade archetypes.
    I bring Cliques in practically every match, but for different cards each time. You can just play so many three drops, so you have to make choises. I liked one Clique main very much, but I like my 8 Lily/Deed/Jace more to make a switch.

May 2013
    Oklahoma

Yeah, I'll have to defend Nastaboi on that. Didn't you hear? Liliana is pretty good on turn two! Lol

I like them because they're never bad; they're either awesome or trade off in combat. Also letting you hold up counterspell and clique eot if they don't do anything worth countering is important for not wasting mana.

May 2013
    Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by cuthbertthecat View Post
    I like them because they're never bad; they're either awesome or trade off in combat. Also letting you hold up counterspell and clique eot if they don't do anything worth countering is important for not wasting mana.
    Yeah, I just didn't want too many three drops, but they make sense if you're not running Snapcaster Mage. I run three Snapcasters (my list is a page or two back) which is actually a 3cc spell. Two for the Mage and at least one for the spell. Was just curious. Thanks though! :)

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Any thoughts on Worm Harvest? I am thinking of working one into my list (above, first post on this page), perhaps in for the Darkblast, or maybe for the Garruk.

My thinking is that it is another win con, one that works pretty well with Loam and Lili, and isn't a PW for the purposes of going up against heavy Red decks.

I was at my LGS yesterday for a legacy event. and while it didn't fire there were some players that that I got to test this deck against. Particularly one who is very good at legacy, has made some SCG top 8's and plays a TNN deck that I had built my version of BUG to hopefully beat.

The List:

Creatures:3
    3 Deathrite Shaman

Spells:32
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Innocent Blood
    1 Ponder
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Life from the Loam
    1 Intuition
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    3 Pernicious Deed
    3 Force of Will

Lands:25
    2 Bayou
    1 Cephalid Coliseum
    2 Creeping Tar Pit
    1 Forest
    1 Island
    2 Mishra's Factory
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    1 Tropical Island
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland

I think that this list is pretty ripe for the meta. while everyone is trying to get there TNN's in play you have all the answers. Deed is really, really good right now in the midrange blue matchup. While there are no Standstills in this deck I feel that is not a hindrance. IMHO standstill is a very low impact card. it has the potential to draw you three cards sure but there is no guarantee that those cards will be relevant. Furthermore with an active Jace or brainstorms Life from the Loam can give you all the card advantage you need. The only card in this list that I am one the fence about is Intuition. It's a bit clunky and could easily be a fourth Jace, but being able to tutor up your loam engine is very relevant.

I played against Belcher 4 times and only lost once. Then against Robots and won all three games including post sideboard. and played My friend's Esper Deathblade deck 5 game ones and won 3 of the 5.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

While DRS is certainly a good card in this deck, even though I don't run it in my build because I want to be able to run out Innocent Blood at any time. You might want more Diabolic Edicts since you run DRS.

Also, why a Coliseum?

While DRS is certainly a good card in this deck, even though I don't run it in my build because I want to be able to run out Innocent Blood at any time. You might want more Diabolic Edicts since you run DRS.

Also, why a Coliseum?
    I could give it a try but I'm actually not too concerned with having to sac my DRS. There a many win conditions in the deck and DRS, while a very powerful card with multiple functions in the deck is merely a tool. I can't envision too many scenarios where I would want to hold back my Innocent Blood just because I have a DRS on board.

With an active Loam, Coliseum becomes an Ancestral Recall. It can be tutored up as part of a Loam package with Intuition and can be bought back with Loam for extra card advantage. If I didn't' have Intuition in the deck Coliseum would most like come out and become another dual or tarpit.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2010

Quote Originally Posted by ZimAshe View Post
    I could give it a try but I'm actually not too concerned with having to sac my DRS. There a many win conditions in the deck and DRS, while a very powerful card with multiple functions in the deck is merely a tool. I can't envision too many scenarios where I would want to hold back my Innocent Blood just because I have a DRS on board. With an active Loam, Coliseum becomes an Ancestral Recall. It can be tutored up as part of a Loam package with Intuition and can be bought back with Loam for extra card advantage. If I didn't' have Intuition in the deck Coliseum would most like come out and become another dual or tarpit.
    Intuition and coliseum seem way too cute and slow, I really don't thing they are worth it

May 2013
    Oklahoma

Colosseum is just worse than Ancestral Vision. If you're not going to play Standstill or eight cantrips over Colosseum then you should just play BlueLands.dec (42 Lands with Jace).. Standstill isn't a bad card everyone talks crap about it but.. One they suck with the card, two never tested it, or three they still suck with Standstill. I've seen people play a turn two Standstill with a clear board and unless you're playing Vintge, guess what?? You're doing that wrong too. Don't play Standstill on a Noble Heirarch, you'll lose that battle too. Basically the moral of playing Standstill is.. Don't be an idiot. If you can't play Standstill just play visions. It'a just subpar to play anything else but Standstill and Visions.

Dec 2007
    Finland

I lost again finals to deviant playing BUG Delver, this time it was GPT. I'm now 24-5-3 (two ID's) with the deck this winter, but just can't beat him. Last time I won against him was 2010. I played the same MD as in the champs, but changed -1 Flusterstorm -1 Toxic Deluge +1 Thoughtseize +1 Damnation SB. I might add another Damnation to SB as Tombstalker is nigh unbeatable otherwise, Dismember is also a consideration. Other matches:

R1 UW Miracles 2-0
    R2 Dredge 2-0
    R3 Shardless BUG 2-0
    R4 Burn 0-2
    R5 Dredge 2-1
    R6 UWR Delver ID
    TOP8 Bant /w Deathrites 2-1
    TOP4 Monored Painter 2-1
    Finals BUG Delver 0-2
    Last edited by Nastaboi; 01-05-2014 at 03:51 AM.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Yeah, Tombstalker is quite rough, glad to not have seen one recently. Only real chance would be to counter it.

I have come around to the DRS version of the deck, I played it last night. My record wasn't great, but that was almost all due to my own misplays. I drew with Burn, since i miscounted how many Islands I had left in deck and so couldn't counter the Fireblast that was cast in response to my Jace. Game 3, I was one turn from swinging to win, with double Force and Counterspell, Jace and him with zero in hand. I lost to BGW Rock, since in game 3, I, for some reason, didn't board in my extra removal and ended the game with a bunch of useless counters to his board with Knight and Smiter. I drew with Lands, because game 3 I Wastelanded him twice (the first was a good play, the second was really lose) and ended up one mana short to kill him in 5 Turns.

I am going to try out Team America for a bit, but no doubt I'll be back on this deck soon.

Thread Information