Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The EPIC Storm (TES) Vs. Fetchland Tendrils (FT) - The Competition

Re: The EPIC Storm (TES) Vs. Fetchland Tendrils (FT) - The Competition

Quote Originally Posted by georgjorge View Post
    It's not bad for a combo deck, but considering that you're going 2-4 against a deck that makes up a big share of the metagame (especially when adding other blue-based decks that run CBalance + Top, Force, Stifle and additional disruption, like Dreadstill, UWb Fish, Merfolk or CTop MUC into the equation), it seems to be not enough to get up to Tier 1 status.

And is there any chance for there being a competition against Stax/Stompy builds, or do you guys (emidln + Bryant) have better things to do in the next weeks ? Because I find those things very interesting...
    Force of Will, Daze, Counterbalance and Thought Seize is an extreme disruption package even for Threshold, going 2-4 against a deck that's almost designed against you is extremely good.

Thought Seize is just a fucked up card for TES to deal with, getting your Vexing Shusher discarded is bad times.
    Last edited by Jander78; 05-16-2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Corrected matchup count
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by georgjorge View Post
    It's not bad for a combo deck, but considering that you're going 2-4 against a deck that makes up a big share of the metagame (especially when adding other blue-based decks that run CBalance + Top, Force, Stifle and additional disruption, like Dreadstill, UWb Fish, Merfolk or CTop MUC into the equation), it seems to be not enough to get up to Tier 1 status.

And is there any chance for there being a competition against Stax/Stompy builds, or do you guys (emidln + Bryant) have better things to do in the next weeks ? Because I find those things very interesting...
    I went 2-4 versus a very anti-combo list, that was almost 3-3, if you look at the match results I went 1-2 a lot. If I could've squeaked out a win in one of those it would've been 3-3. Which would've given people a quite different reaction. I still don't believe UGW Threshold is too tough, Thoughtsieze is what won him so many games. Against normal UGW I think I would've went 3-3 or better.

"Catches Bullets With His Teeth?"
    Apr 2007

Not to be a dick or anything, but the "results" are pretty shitty as far as reporting. For all the hype and huge opening post, could we get at least some details? Did Counterbalance win the games, did TES try to go off without protection, I guess I would just like a little more than 2-1

Bryant Cook

The results will be up eventually. Writing up seven rounds takes time, I won't lie, I have two done and they're more effort than it's worth. Mine are going to be brief, I have things to do. I can't drop my responsibilities for Magic: The Gathering. I only saw four people volunteer for this experiment, if people continue to complain, there won't be another. There's nothing in this for me or the other three people, so we have no motive. I could care less if another didn't happen.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    Not to be a dick or anything, but the "results" are pretty shitty as far as reporting. For all the hype and huge opening post, could we get at least some details? Did Counterbalance win the games, did TES try to go off without protection, I guess I would just like a little more than 2-1
    Notes and potentially game logs (for the Thresh match up) will be available after my matches with emidln are complete.

I'm interested in seeing the results. Were there any mid-game MWS malfunctions?

"Catches Bullets With His Teeth?"
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    The results will be up eventually. Writing up seven rounds takes time, I won't lie, I have two done and they're more effort than it's worth. Mine are going to be brief, I have things to do. I can't drop my responsibilities for Magic: The Gathering. I only saw four people volunteer for this experiment, if people continue to complain, there won't be another. There's nothing in this for me or the other three people, so we have no motive. I could care less if another didn't happen.
    No offense was meant, breif is cool, I just figured that the reason for doing this was to show which and why a particular combo deck had more game against blue control, which is tough to decifer the "why's" from "2-1". Do as you wish, I won't expect anything.

Aug 2005
    NY State

Quote Originally Posted by A Legend View Post
    I'm interested in seeing the results. Were there any mid-game MWS malfunctions?
    Bryant and I had 1 midgame MWS crash. emidln and I didn't (we did have a crash right before one game) but emidln is apparently pretty busy (I think he has finals this week).

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by freakish777 View Post
    Bryant and I had 1 midgame MWS crash. emidln and I didn't (we did have a crash right before one game) but emidln is apparently pretty busy (I think he has finals this week).
    Results?

Edit-

He went 7 and 9 in games. Not that bad. Thoughtseize was probably a house in taking Vexxing Shusher away. Also, decks with no clocks gives TES more time to set up. MUC, Landstill, Fishesque decks (weak creatures) are slow to kill us and leaves us all the time in the world.

Aug 2005
    NY State

Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    Results?
    It's currently 1-0 in Thresh's favor, and 1-1 in the second match. emidln apologized saying he had a pressing matter to attend to. I'm a patient enough person to wait until he's ready.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
    Dec 2003
    Fredericksburg, Va

Can you all stop talking about Thoughseize as some kind of shocking new tech? Every Threshold deck should be maindecking a playset of that card, and you aren't doing yourself any favors if you test against lists without it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9
    I can show up whenever I vomit off my hangover and get rid of the passed out females who's naked bodies will be sprawled out all over my condo. Oh wait, I'm engaged. FUCK.

Well in that case I can be there at like 2 then, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheBestEver View Post
    I built my car with my bare hands. It has 32 engines and 17 gas pedals so I can go extra-turbo fast. I sold it for a million dollars and then stole it from the guy using my super computer that can hack into any car in the world as long as I built it. Now I speed down the highway listening to Bruce Springsteen at max volume and flipping off other drivers.

What are regrets?

deckcheck.net guy

Aug 2007
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate Freely View Post
    Can you all stop talking about Thoughseize as some kind of shocking new tech?
    Nobody said it's "shocking new tech". They just said that it's good against TES.

Every Threshold deck should be maindecking a playset of that card,
    Less than 10% do.
    and you aren't doing yourself any favors if you test against lists without it.
    That's why they're testing against a list with Thoughtseize, I guess.

What was the point of your post again? Promoting Thoughtseize in Threshold?
    Team SPOD
    [23:08:50] <@Anusien> You want me to actually test?
    [23:09:02] <frogboy> I thought you already had
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Those better times were when you were ignorant of the state of things.

Bryant Cook

Can you all stop talking about Thoughseize as some kind of shocking new tech? Every Threshold deck should be maindecking a playset of that card, and you aren't doing yourself any favors if you test against lists without it.
    Alix, I'm loving the positive criticism here.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
    Dec 2003
    Fredericksburg, Va

Quote Originally Posted by Brehn View Post
    Nobody said it's "shocking new tech". They just said that it's good against TES.
    I was referring to this attitude:
    Quote Originally Posted by BreathWeapon View Post
    Force of Will, Daze, Counterbalance and Thought Seize is an extreme disruption package even for Threshold...

Thought Seize is just a fucked up card for TES to deal with, getting your Vexing Shusher discarded is bad times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I went 2-4 versus a very anti-combo list...

...Thoughtsieze is what won him so many games. Against normal UGW I think I would've went 3-3 or better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    He went 7 and 9 in games. Not that bad. Thoughtseize was probably a house in taking Vexxing Shusher away.
    You cannot claim that a deck has a favorable matchup against Threshold, but concede that it gets murdered by versions with Thoughtseize. As I said, anyone who focuses on testing against Threshold without Thoughtseize is doing a disservice to themselves, because he or she is testing against suboptimally-built decks.

Less than 10% do.
    I'm sure you have all sorts of factual evidence to back this up, but it isn't very relevant here unless our goal is to develop decks specifically for underdeveloped metagames. Thoughtseize in Threshold is not new, but it is recent (by the standards of Legacy technology), and I can assure you that people will continue adopting it in greater and greater numbers.

Also, I lied. I know you don't have any factual evidence to back that up.

That's why they're testing against a list with Thoughtseize, I guess.
    They're testing against a list with Thoughtseize because their testing volunteer, as someone who actually follows the development of Threshold, provided his own decklist. When this "challenge" was originally proposed, Bryant suggested a thoroughly outdated UGW list. And the only objection made about that was that it had Pithing Needles in it!

What was the point of your post again? Promoting Thoughtseize in Threshold?
    The point of my post was to bring a little objectivity and honesty into this thread. You cannot write off an unfavorable testing result against Threshold because the testing list had Thoughtseize in it. Winning two out of four matchups is not "okay" because you would have done better against a worse list.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9
    I can show up whenever I vomit off my hangover and get rid of the passed out females who's naked bodies will be sprawled out all over my condo. Oh wait, I'm engaged. FUCK.

Well in that case I can be there at like 2 then, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheBestEver View Post
    I built my car with my bare hands. It has 32 engines and 17 gas pedals so I can go extra-turbo fast. I sold it for a million dollars and then stole it from the guy using my super computer that can hack into any car in the world as long as I built it. Now I speed down the highway listening to Bruce Springsteen at max volume and flipping off other drivers.

What are regrets?

Itīs just more individual party in your head.
    Apr 2007
    Germany

Actually there are many many UGR ******** lists which obv donīt play seize. So I think the list they are testing with is especialy hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by NQN View Post
    Actually there are many many UGR ThreshThreshThreshThreshThreshThreshThreshThresh lists which obv donīt play seize. So I think the list they are testing with is especialy hard to beat.
    And UGw as well.

It's not like UGb is the only variant in the DTB forum. There are three of them. Let's not make such preposterous statement like

As I said, anyone who focuses on testing against Threshold without Thoughtseize is doing a disservice to themselves, because he or she is testing against suboptimally-built decks.
    On the other hand,

You cannot write off an unfavorable testing result against Threshold because the testing list had Thoughtseize in it.
    is true, but I don't think that was the point of what was being said. The results are meant only to be compared to the FT ones anyway, so there would be no point "writing them off" since FT will test against the same build.
    Last edited by ParkerLewis; 05-17-2008 at 06:33 PM. Reason: typo

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

As I said, anyone who focuses on testing against Deck X without Card Y is doing a disservice to themselves, because he or she is testing against suboptimally-built decks.
    Wrong. You should test against what people will bring, not against what people should bring.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Wrong. You should test against what people will bring, not against what people should bring.
    Well if you want to count on bad players coming, or decent players coming with bad decks, Im not so sure how worried we should be about beating those people anyways

Really though, listen to Alix, hes probably better more knowledgeable than all of you about Threshold. Thoughtsieze is basically a Force of Will, except you dont lose another card, and you get to completely choose what goes. It should be in every list because every list should probably be 4 or 5 colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    It should be in every list because every list should probably be 4 or 5 colors.
    Or 6. Obviously.

deckcheck.net guy

Aug 2007
    Germany

You cannot claim that a deck has a favorable matchup against Threshold, but concede that it gets murdered by versions with Thoughtseize. As I said, anyone who focuses on testing against Threshold without Thoughtseize is doing a disservice to themselves, because he or she is testing against suboptimally-built decks.
    All they're saying is that they'd have a better matchup against a list without Thoughtseizes. Nobody said the matchup was positive.

Also, I lied. I know you don't have any factual evidence to back that up.
    Factual evidence #1: Link
    Factual evidence #2: Link
    I'm not that stupid.
    Team SPOD
    [23:08:50] <@Anusien> You want me to actually test?
    [23:09:02] <frogboy> I thought you already had
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Those better times were when you were ignorant of the state of things.

Thread Information