Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: June 1st B/R Discussion

Re: June 1st B/R Discussion

Why? Seeing three extra cards in Legacy isn't nearly as good as in Vintage. In Legacy combo, Brainstorm doesn't say 'I win' nearly as much. In Vintage, it gave them a ten card starting hand to find all of the broken restricted cards that allow them to win.

massive map advantage
    Jan 2008
    New Scrubington

Brainstorm simply is not broken in legacy. I cant see any real reason to ban it, theres nothing unbalanced or too powerful about it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    Holy shit. That makes it a penis type Human Bear Druid Axe. Raep indeed.
    Team Battletoads ( Now with double plus more Tarmogoyf! )

Because the DCI basically said 3 things:

1. It's very powerful and has been on the edge of being restricted in Vintage forever.

2. It's present in every final 8 in multiple decks and this has been true forever.

3. It puts blue over the top in terms of power in the format and this has been true forever.

All 3 things could be said easily about Brainstorm in Legacy. The integration of Brainstorm into combo decks that only splash blue for it and Mystical Tutor just makes it more likely to get banned in my opinion.

Rhetorical question: how often is Brainstorm not a 4-of in at least half the top 8 of a tourney?

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    1. It's very powerful and has been on the edge of being restricted in Vintage forever.
    Legacy ≠ Vintage.
    2. It's present in every final 8 in multiple decks and this has been true forever.
    The same can be said about duals, fetches, and Force of Will.
    3. It puts blue over the top in terms of power in the format and this has been true forever.
    Blue isn't over the top. If it was over the top, it would be a problem.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I have rhetorical question, how often is Goyf a 4-of? If there's one card that has changed the format it's Goyf, not Brainstorm and since it's nowhere near being banned (un)fortunately I think that serious discussion of Brainstorm's banning in Legacy is a knee-jerk that'll dislocate a hip.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Brainstorm won't be banned in Legacy. We have no trump cards like Vintage does. They can Brainstorm right into Ancestral, Walk, and Will. I guarantee you that any deck packing those 3 cards would win as soon as that is seen.

The sad thing is, they wouldn't even need that busted a play. Brainstorming into Lotus, Demonic Tutor, and a Mox of any type is just as busted. It pretty much comes down to Brainstorm being Ancestral 2-5, when the 2 cards going back means very little to the player. We just don't have that much power here in Legacy.

And enough about Goyf. Seriously, the guy is an overpowered vanilla creature. If Legacy has no risk of banning ANY affinity piece, Goyf isn't even close to the watch list yet. He's good, he's format warping, but he's nowhere near degenerate.
    Quote Originally Posted by YuanTi View Post
    Slightly off topic, but where is the Nourishing Lich in the DTB Forum?

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

I don't play much Vintage, but I had the impression that Forcing a Brainstorm was far from uncommon in that format; whereas in Legacy, while sometimes correct, it's still an unusual play.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Their argument for banning was that it put blue Combo decks over the top. Would Vintage Gifts decks have been as good as they were without 4 Brainstorm? Flash decks? GushStorm decks? Vintage is at a point where banning the current combo isn't enough. They've achieved critical mass due to the fact that cards like Black Lotus, Ancestral Recall, Tinker, and Yawgmoth's Will aren't banned.

Brainstorm is only as broken as the cards it can get you.

The very nature of Vintage is brokenness (no bannings), so eventually Brainstorm will be broken in that format (simply looking at how long the restricted list should have given you an estimation of when Brainstorm would be restricted in Vintage).

My argument then is that Brainstorm will almost never be a candidate for banning in Legacy when you could just ban the broken cards instead.

monkey
    Aug 2006
    Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by freakish777 View Post
    Brainstorm is only as broken as the cards it can get you.
    Non-argument. That's like saying Yawmoth's Will or Ancestral Recall are only as broken as the cards they draw you. Brainstorm just happens not to be that excessively broken.
    info.ninja

Jul 2007
    Enfield, CT

Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    Non-argument. That's like saying Yawmoth's Will or Ancestral Recall are only as broken as the cards they draw you. Brainstorm just happens not to be that excessively broken.
    Well thats exactly what he is saying and he is right. Recalling into 3 shitty cards is not good. Willing when your deck doesn't contain good cards usually means nothing. Those cards are only good because of the power level of the format. If you put Yawgmoth's Will into Type 2, it would pretty much be a black Recollect. Not that great.
    Still looking for FBB Lightning Bolts. German or Korean is preferred. PM me if you have them

Quote Originally Posted by Slay View Post
    Drunk texting is ballin'. Anyone can slur into a phone, but it takes a real man to fumble over tiny buttons to make a semi-coherent message and send it to someone.
    -Slay

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Quote Originally Posted by TrialByFire View Post
    Well thats exactly what he is saying and he is right. Recalling into 3 shitty cards is not good. Willing when your deck doesn't contain good cards usually means nothing. Those cards are only good because of the power level of the format. If you put Yawgmoth's Will into Type 2, it would pretty much be a black Recollect. Not that great.
    Exactly, same reasoning on why Regrowth is restricted in Vintage and untouched in Legacy. (i.e. Recurring Recalls)

Quote Originally Posted by TrialByFire View Post
    Well, when it was in Type 2 (at a time when Dark Ritual was in Type 2), it was good, but no where near busted the way it is Type 1. A good use for it would be, play Will, replay a ritual, replay a spell and then Vampiric Tutor. Strong, but not game winning. And then, there were plenty of times it acted as a Regrowth, too.

Thread Information