Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: June 1st B/R Discussion

...at that moment I was a marine biologist.
    Nov 2003
    Albany

Re: June 1st B/R Discussion

I rofled. Let them cry.

Not Banned
    Sep 2007
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Brehn View Post
    September 1 2008 DCI Banned and Restricted List Announcement

Vintage

Bazaar of Baghdad is restricted
    Mishra's Workshop is restricted
    I laughed when i read this. If that happens, Goblins might be dominant somewhere again! (Unless Vintage starts playing Goyf)

Folk Punk Pirate
    Oct 2007
    Mannheim, Germany

One big *shrug* followed by a sighed *meh* and that's it!
    On the other hand this B/R update might stop people from complaining about the lack of changes in Legacy. They could've fucked up our format too =)
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - Not really a Legacy Team anymore.

wow never seen a whole engine getting ripped... flash, gush, and scroll would've been healthy, but that is insane.

The Exiled One
    May 2007
    Brussels, Belgium

Most scary thing is... they can also do this to Legacy, at any time. This is really freaking me out, the thought of Legacy without, say, LED, Brainstorm and Ponder. Holy shit... :/

They should just ban Island, instead of restrincting things until Skullclamp is broken again.
    "In general admittedly the Wise of all times have always said the same thing, and the fools, that is to say the vast majority of all times, have always done the same thing, i.e. the opposite; and so it will remain in the future."

Schopenhauer

When Toad said BS and Ponder should be banned I actually didn't take it seriously...

Now, I'm GLAD I didn't buy some P9 yet.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

It is going to shake up the format, but it's hardly the hit we took in 2004. We lost entire decks, these guys have lost cards that should have been restricted years ago.

Brainstorm is just as good as any given tutor in Vintage, and an instant at that. You don't net anything, but the fact that you see 3 new cards is still too good for the format.

We (Vintage) guys knew Merchant was going to get chopped for months now, it's DT #s2-5 in Vintage. Seriously, it fetches any card from your deck eventually, through Gifts, Ancestral etc. No surprise there.

Flash and Gush? Obviously needed the hit. Neither made the format any more fun, nor did they bring about any creativity. I can't honestly say I'm upset either is gone. Would have liked a little more time to see Gush in action around here though.

Ponder, that's probably the only one I'm still not sure about. It digs and can reshuffle and at worst is still a cantrip. I can't say it's dangerous, but with Brainstorm gone, there's a good chance it would have been put to an auto-include of 4. Maybe.

Either way, we didn't lose any decks from it. At least nothing we weren't already expecting to lose (Flash and GAT/Gush Storm). Restricting Scroll and Brainstorm just seemed to be obvious choices.

I'm really confused nothing was touched with Ichorid though. Guess we'll just have to see how things go.

And honestly, I wouldn't be shocked in the least if by the end of the year Bazaar and Workshop are hit by the restriction hammer. They deserve it just as much as anything that was hit this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by YuanTi View Post
    Slightly off topic, but where is the Nourishing Lich in the DTB Forum?

Look, it's a picture of Daze!
    Jan 2007
    Vienna, Austria

I think they missed the REALLY dangerous blue cards - Serum Visions and Opt, not to mention Impulse...
    georgjorge
    Geistreich sind schon die anderen.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Now I want to see them reprint Brainstorm in 11th edition.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

May 2007
    R.I.T

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedAngel View Post
    You know. I normally wouldn't say anything, but considering there was a LOT of Vintage players that got on us about the changes the day that 1.5 died and Legacy was created and how we were complaining... I just have to say this...

How does it feel, fuckers?
    I remember the arguments that came up when Flash was errated. Particularly, how many 'Legacy experts' trickled in from the Vintage forums. As Spatula can remember, the arguments with Lancer on the WotC forum were particularly fun. Something about exposing the glaring inconsistencies in their arguments was most enjoyable. And irony. Irony is funny.

But back to something more on topic: Yeah, major changes like that are going to be rough. I suppose I could say I sympathize with them...a little.

Umm..
    So I still mull to bazaar and get to win in addition of not having to think?

Why not ditch FoW while we're at it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Race War View Post
    <Carnage> fuck idiot learn education

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

I like the changes. Decks don't start with 4 BS, 4 Ponder, 4 Merchant Scroll, 4 Gush, 4 FoW anymore (plus Moxen, Lotus, recall, lands, that's already half a deck). Deck construction is actually relevant now.
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

I swear to fucking god, there will be no talks about what should be banned in Legacy in this thread - specifically, griping about a vanilla green beater. I will warn the shit out of anyone who goes there.

May 2008
    518 new york

well as for the vintage b/r,i could care less seeing as we have almost no vintage in my area(almost no legacy either for that matter,albany- saratoga ny area if you cared) but maybe this is what legacy needed to get more players

Hold on! I have a 12/12
    Mar 2007
    Germany

Gush was necessary. Period.

Scroll and Flash (in that order) are okay to be restricted.

Brainstorm was unnecessary in my opinion and I don't like the restriction, yet there are arguments that can be made for it (It makes - oh, right it _made_ - it easy to play crappy cards that you need to complete a combo (name: the Slivers in Flash for example) because when you drew them it would be easy to get them out of your hand). Has anybody thought of Lat-Nam's Legacy as a replacement yet (the 2 mana will hurt however)?

What bugs me most is the restriction of Ponder. Restricting a Sorcery (!) that just digs 4 cards deep was absolutely insane and shows that WotC has no f***ing clue how the format works.

Lets get back to Legacy.

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

Quote Originally Posted by spirit of the wretch View Post
    One big *shrug* followed by a sighed *meh* and that's it!
    On the other hand this B/R update might stop people from complaining about the lack of changes in Legacy. They could've fucked up our format too =)
    Actualy, it wouldn't be that easy. Because of the whole ban over restriction the ability of Legacy to entertain a much wider number of decks makes it so that, if each of those cards were banned right now, we would already have plenty of pre-made and well tested decks to take the spots of the deck that lost out.

Edit:

@Van: Ponder does not dig 4! Blarg. It can dig 3 or 1! THREE OR ONE!
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

So Vintage is now power Highlander. Nothing wrong with that. It's been headed that direction forever, they just took a major step there by restricting Brainstorm and Ponder.

The real question is not about what the effects of not having Brainstorm x4 and Ponder x4 is, the real question is how the f*ck do you play Force of Will when you need to find 6 blue fills for those?

GOB: The Gathering
    Dec 2007

That's kinda jacked up w.r.t. Brainstorm. That's been out since Ice Age, and *NOW* it's too powerful? Lol.

FoolofaTook juuuust wrote: "So Vintage is now power Highlander. Nothing wrong with that. It's been headed that direction forever" <-- also, They oughta actually do that so I can play Shahrazad again

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Van Phanel View Post
    Brainstorm was unnecessary in my opinion and I don't like the restriction, yet there are arguments that can be made for it (It makes - oh, right it _made_ - it easy to play crappy cards that you need to complete a combo (name: the Slivers in Flash for example) because when you drew them it would be easy to get them out of your hand). Has anybody thought of Lat-Nam's Legacy as a replacement yet (the 2 mana will hurt however)?

What bugs me most is the restriction of Ponder. Restricting a Sorcery (!) that just digs 4 cards deep was absolutely insane and shows that WotC has no f***ing clue how the format works.
    Brainstorm's "Put two back" is the very least of the concerns with the card. The more important factor was what I mentioned about three days ago - In a format which is beginning to resemble highlander anyway, and has hit critical mass as far as powerful tutors goes, Brainstorm's ability to put three new cards in your hand without significant drawback, at instant speed, is WAY over the power threshold, even for that format. In our testing for Vintage, it had gotten to the point where I was willing to counter Brainstorm over almost any other non-gamewinning spell, simply because of how powerful the spell is in the decks that abuse it. I was happily trading a Red Blast for a Brainstorm, or even a Mana Drain. That's disgusting. Wizards gave fair warning - they mentioned during the last round of B&R that while they recognize the need for Force to be unrestricted for the health of the format, the same is simply not true for Brainstorm.

It's also fairly obvious to the objective observer that Ponder is being restricted as a precautionary measure to avoid -3 Brainstorm +3 Ponder to the decks that are able to survive without Scroll and Gush.

Feb 2008
    Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by deviant View Post
    Why not ditch FoW while we're at it?
    It looks like that may have been part of the reasoning behind hitting BS and Ponder...it also takes down FoW with them because now there are less good cards that can either be played or be pitched to Force.

Now, combo decks that ran 4 of each will have to run ALL of the tutors in order to maintain consistency, which will in make FoW less usable than it was before.

Looks like I shouldn't have traded off my Pacts after all.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantDeathwingZERO;
    It is going to shake up the format, but it's hardly the hit we took in 2004. We lost entire decks, these guys have lost cards that should have been restricted years ago.
    Vintage does lose entire decks to this. The loss of consistency that BS/Ponder provided hurts alot of popular combo decks, and will probably make them uncompetetive. The same goes for the Gushbond engine, which was integrated into a number of decks.

I was just starting to pick up Next Level Doomsday (due to its shortage of power cards). It's been affected by all the restrictions except for Flash, and it looks like the deck will have to have a strategic redesign, if it can even remain playable at all.

Wasn't Gush un-restricted just a year ago?

Thread Information