Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
The issue we face now is that spells where (mostly) strongest in the old boarder, creatures mostly stronger in the new. So if you have been playing long enough, you will have felt the shift. You will have seen the real impact and change. But I caution against some thinking. Thinking that the Eldrazi are a recent addition to the game. The creature type is sure, but the deck is not. "Stompy" as a deck type is older than Legacy. Chalice with Sol lands is not a new phenomenon. Neither is the style of deck that Lands employs with Loam. Stax did that with a card called Crucible of Worlds long ago.

The issue today is not that these things are new, it's that we see them more. In 2004 I did not have the internet, but I had Legacy. In 2009 I had both, but I did not connect the two. The hybridisation of the internet and TCG happened for me much much later. I also feel like it had the same impact on many other people. You can ask my friends from 04, I was Wastelanding them then too. Much like I am now. I just did not have the kind of information and access to cards that I do now. Remember, Tog was a thing because easy access to cards long ago was not simple and he had to play proxy for Jon Finkel.

Time has changed Legacy thanks to technology, information and access. Anyone who bitches about Eldrazi today is just someone who was not getting punched by Pit Dragon yesterday. Anyone who thinks Loam is an issue now likely never had to face down Stax in the mid naughties. Not because these were not options, but because the information was not as board.

Is Legacy better now than it was? No, I don't think so, but I don't think that's totally on new printings and new decks. I think a lot has changed in the last 10 years and Legacy is just one of the things that has ridden that tide with time.

That said, God dam have creatures gotten stronger.
I think you have some great points. On Eldrazi, it seems much more aligned to Zoo than MUD.

Coming back to the game about 3 years ago (played heavily beta/Unlimited-Homelands) after a random occurrence, the game has really changed. The cards are genuinely going to get stronger and stronger. I didn't ever really think there would be stronger cards then some of the ones I played with during the first years of magic- nonetheless completely unplayable. I hear the same cries from another generation years later. As the game grows the power creep will get more intense, that is how they sell cards, its the games natural progression.

Technology and competitive play/coverage I am sure had a lot to do with changing the format. Magic pre-internet was more of a wild west in general. I can only assume these factors strayed it away from its organic roots.

I really enjoy Legacy overall. I have some minor complaints, but no competitive format comes close in my opinion. it's the closest I can get to what I enjoy about Magic from back in the days. Omnitell/Dig era was the only time I felt Legacy was in a 'bad place' as of late.
Note I am not a blue mage, I rarely play blue and when I do it's fringe blue decks like Tezz, Post, Slivers and recently Food Chain. I was created in the bayous on Dominaria.