Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

More. Arts. Like. Stasis.
    No not like that.
    Please not like that. Stasis, not paradigm shift.

The sad thing is that it's not like she can't make good art. Here is something from her website that I think looks great:

(http://www.carlyjanine.com/)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Those two arts are certainly contenders for the worst arts in Magic history. They look like somebody took a photo and used Paint to doodle over it.

How did those get part the Art Director?

Quote Originally Posted by kirkusjones View Post
    Why no Veil of Summer and Flusterstorm?
    Veil of Summer is good idea since you need pro-active protection. Maybe Silence, too? Flusterstorm is kinda iffy since it can't really protect you when you go off and it isn't as good without the UG Apprentice for Magecraft cheese.

Interestingly enough, Chain of Smog + UG Apprentice would allow you to dump the entire number of lands into your GY. Not sure if you could make an alternate wincon out of that somehow.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Oh, FFS.

Are we really complaining about this when they LITERALLY PUT A PICTURE OF A SUN on a "sexxxy" version of Blood Moon a couple of years ago?

I paid two grand for a Tabernac last year. This art's way better than the art on my Tabernac.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    I paid two grand for a Tabernac last year. This art's way better than the art on my Tabernac.
    This is amazing.

To live the day I think I'd rather have Phil Foglio art than that.

While I don't like most of the mystical something arts, I at least appreciate the attempt to make something more expressionistic and less boring hyper-realistic like in the last decade.
    However these look like they belong into an art exhibition for snobs to show how cultured they are.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

Its uncanny valley but instead of looking creepy the more realistic the card gets, it looks like some kind of low effort meme.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Its uncanny valley but instead of looking creepy the more realistic the card gets, it looks like some kind of low effort meme.
    The main problem the realistic look clashing badly with the Kindergarden-tier doodles and gaudy, large, mono-colored areas.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post

I don't think words say much here.
    Wha... what the FUCK.

This has to be the objectively worst art that ever made it into the game. The spell/card name it was created (or rather, "has happened") for is truly fitting.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by colo View Post
    Wha... what the FUCK.

This has to be the objectively worst art that ever made it into the game. The spell/card name it was created (or rather, "has happened") for is truly fitting.
    IT's all about the dress. the rest could be fine, but the dress looks like it has been done with MS Paint :)

I think I'm actually done with MtG. This time for real. Prehaps it's time after 20 years.

So WotC's new milking plan is to release card with better borders/art than the regular product? See TSR Extras and these new cards that look fantastic (apart from the above abomination).

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post
    So WotC's new milking plan is to release card with better borders/art than the regular product? See TSR Extras and these new cards that look fantastic (apart from the above abomination).
    Make the regular version worse and sell the old version as new premium.
    There enough idiots who by anything.

Honestly I'm surprised it took them this long to discover the various "Pimp my deck" threads and the attached prices.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Honestly I'm surprised it took them this long to discover the various "Pimp my deck" threads and the attached prices.
    I think it is crazy that it took them this long as well, but I like it as long as they do it right. From what I have heard, the Pokemon TCG has lots of different art versions of cards, so getting a playable copy of any card is usually relatively cheap. It is only expensive if you want particular art. This way, everyone can play the game with whatever deck they like, just maybe not with the art that they want. That way, players can play the game, and the company can still get money. Something like the Godzilla basic land Secret Lair is exactly what WotC should be doing, in my opinion. I like the fact that each pack is going to have one of these special art cards.

Mar 2007

Better art? Sometimes.

Better borders? Nah. I couldn't name even one of their experimental frames that's better than what we've had before. But we got plenty of abominations out of it, like Amonkhet's Yugioh frames. The Mystical Archives are no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Better art? Sometimes.

Better borders? Nah. I couldn't name even one of their experimental frames that's better than what we've had before. But we got plenty of abominations out of it, like Amonkhet's Yugioh frames. The Mystical Archives are no exception.
    The Kaladesh border was nice, but every other one isn't good, it might have been nice as a rare thing, but now that every set has like normal, borderless and collector edition border, which are unique compared to other sets, there is like no cohesion between any of them. I can imagine someones 'pimp' deck with all of these different borders looking like they don't even belong to the same game, total design vomit. Just wait until we get all the crossover cards from other Hasbro IPs, and the art from secret lairs, and it makes a deck look schizophrenic. Call me old fashioned, but seeing a deck that is all old border, or old border foil will look way better than a deck full of these mix and match manufactured-to-order "pimp", its like funko popping the game.

Mar 2007

So white has hand disruption now:

Not too sure where it would fit best. 3 mana is alot for D&T and the 3-drop slot is already very crowded, but being a 3/1 flyer is nice (except against Plague Engineer). Maybe Eldrazi Taxes? It can push it out much faster, putting much more pressure onto the opponent and early game, the extra mana matters much more. It also compliments TKS nicely and somewhat comboes with Displacer.

May 2015
    PDX

They can still cast the card, and this guy puts them on 3 lands in play already. It's a 3 mana known-Spell Pierce in a game that must already have high mana development.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    They can still cast the card, and this guy puts them on 3 lands in play already. It's a 3 mana known-Spell Pierce in a game that must already have high mana development.
    It can beat and hit creatures, though. I agree that it's pretty expensive for hand disruption that merely taxes.

Edit:
    On a different topic: Magecraft should also go well with Punishing Fire, especially with grindy cards like the UG Mage.

Also new cards:

Pretty interesting cards, especially for WR, which historically suck. If I read some Judges' comments right, Warsinger can bring back creatures that have died in combat. Pretty nifty, especially since trample ensures that you get your damage through after casting a removal spell to remove a blocker.
    Last edited by Barook; 03-28-2021 at 09:37 PM.

Thread Information