Page 224 of 332 FirstFirst ... 124174214220221222223224225226227228234274324 ... LastLast
Results 4,461 to 4,480 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    If you are unsure about a match, the easiest is to look at it turn by turn, starting with the one you think is the most likely loser being OTP.
    Sometimes, there are multiple choices and it is still complicated. But most often it makes clear who will win a race very quickly.
    Yeah, that is what I usually do.
    Problem was that I was initially unsure how much Bitterblossom would slow me down and I was unfamiliar with Vebulid.
    I planned to look at all the Bitterblossom decks at the same time, but forgot about Reeplcheeps deck when I did the others.
    When scores were posted I noticed I still hadn't done it and instead of just trying to figure it out I went looking for Reeplcheep's post.
    I guess in hindsight it was pretty obvious Vebulid would never become relevant.
    Sometimes I post before I think (as my decks are often suggests).

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    The deadline has passed, and I'm missing entries from FTW, H and maxx!
    I'll give you guys a few more hours while I do work stuff.
    Sorry, having a rough week and forgot all about it. Sent you something terrible.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

And we're complete, so here we go.

DECKS FOR ROUND 14 OF SEASON 9: Deviant Legacy - Part 2
    This round we play Bleed: At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player loses 1 life.

The entries:
    1. Asthereal (TO): Sheltered Valley, Island, Energy Field, Energy Field
    2. dte: Pox, Swamp, Dark Ritual, Nether spirit
    3. PJim: City of Traitors, Steel Overseer, Phyrexian Revoker, Ratchet Bomb
    4. alphastryk: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Radiant Fountain, Mishra's Factory, Maze of Ith
    5. Reeplcheep: Peat Bog , Sheltered Valley, nether spirit , Nether spirit
    6. Wrath of Pie: Bayou, Crashing Footfalls, Evil Presence, Duress
    7. jhhdk: Karakas, Porcelain Legionnaire, Aether vial, Mangara of Corondor
    8. silkster: Gemstone Mine, Duress, Crashing Footfalls, Restore Balance
    9. Tylert: Sinkhole, The tabernacle at pendrell vale, Urborg, tomb of yawgmoth, Inkmoth nexus
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: Chancellor of the Dross, Unmask, Unmask, Force of Despair
    11. Serguei: Peat Bog, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Nether Spirit
    12. H: Swamp, Witch's Oven, Witch's Oven, Cauldron Familiar
    13. FTW: Radiant Fountain, Tel-Jilad Stylus, Dimir Aqueduct, Reality Acid
    14. maxx!: Peat Bog, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Firemane Angel

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    You can also enter your scores in the Google Spreadsheet for the season which you can find here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Dang, I thought of a better deck and tried to send it instead, but I was too slow 🙃

Sep 2011

1. Asthereal (TO): Reality Acid destroys everything, then looping Fountain nets me +1 life per turn while the round rule kills you. WW 6-0

2. dte: This is the other deck I strongly considered. Pox shuts me off Reality Acid but I can still loop Fountain to gain 2 per turn. Nether Spirit eventually deals 2 per turn, negating this, so we both net 1 life lost per turn. But Spirit doesn't start attacking till your turn 3 so I start ahead in life [F=14 vs D=11 with you OTP] and race you. WW 6-0
    3. PJim: I think your best line is to play Revoker on Stylus and then Ratchet Bomb X=1 before I can hardcast Reality Acid to kill Revoker. LL 0-6
    4. alphastryk: Reality Acid kills everything. WW 6-0

5. Reeplcheep: You get T2 Spirit T3 Spirit. I can Aciding things starting T3. If you play out both Spirits, I can Acid on one and leave it there until your EOT, then EOT Stylus it (killing spirit) and mainphase Acid+Stylus your 2nd Spirit. Both will hit the GY before your upkeep and then they don't trigger. Then I kill Sheltered Valley and loop Fountain.
    If you only play out 1 Spirit, on T3 I kill Sheltered Valley first preventing you from casting the 2nd. Then I can Acid the Spirit and Stylus on your combat step to cancel an attack & give you summoning sickness, stalling it 2 turns. If I do that every 2nd turn and loop Fountain on the other turns, I can negate both the Spirit damage and the round rule while the round rule kills you. WW 6-0

6. Wrath of Pie: OTP I play Stylus first. T1 you suspend Footfalls, T2 Duress Reality Acid before I can play it. Rhinos kill me. OTD you Duress Stylus and I have nothing. LL 0-6
    7. jhhdk: You won't get Vial @ 3 until turn 4 and I can Acid it on turn 3. WW 6-0
    8. silkster: Duress + Footfalls beats Stylus. LL 0-6
    9. Tylert: Leaving Stylus open (EOT tucking Fountain) protects me from sorcery speed Sinkhole while gaining life. You need to play Urborg to cast Sinkhole or attack with Inkmoth, otherwise the round rule kills you. If you play Urborg, I can Stylus+Acid it on my turn to shut off your deck. WW 6-0
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP I lose to double Unmask + drain 3. OTD Stylus lands first and is enough to race you. WL 3-3
    11. Serguei: Unlike dte, I think this does race me due to Sheltered Valley. I take 3 damage per turn and gain 2, while you take 1 and gain 1. T2 Smallpox keeps me off Reality Acid. LL 0-6?
    12. H: I should be able to win by killing your Ovens, then looping Fountain to gain 2 per turn vs your 1/1 while the round rule kills you. WW 6-0
    14. maxx!: I considered Pox/Smallpox with Firemane Angel but found it ends up drawing vs any other lifegain because it can't actually win the game. We both gain 2 per turn and stare forever. DD 2-2

47 points (15 wins, 2 draws, 9 loss)

Other decks I had:
    Pox+Nether Spirit
    City of Traitors, Lotus Petal, Energy Field, Fountain of Renewal
    Leyline of Punishment, Leyline of Sanctity, Serra's Sanctum, Myth Realized (or City + Hangarback)

I thought the round rule would be more widely ignored, figuring Sheltered Valley decks would be too drawish. This doesn't appear to have been a good call.

vs

1. Asthereal (TO): Sheltered Valley, Island, Energy Field, Energy Field / 0-6, nothing vs 2 Energy Fields.
    2. dte: Pox, Swamp, Dark Ritual, Nether spirit / 0-6, Pox is a problem.
    4. alphastryk: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Radiant Fountain, Mishra's Factory, Maze of Ith / 0-6, Tabernacle has to come down first when I'm OTP, but I think that does it.
    5. Reeplcheep: Peat Bog , Sheltered Valley, nether spirit , Nether spirit / 6-0, I can grow my dudes until a single attack is enough, enabled by Bomb.
    6. Wrath of Pie: Bayou, Crashing Footfalls, Evil Presence, Duress / 6-0, Overseer is enough.
    7. jhhdk: Karakas, Porcelain Legionnaire, Aether vial, Mangara of Corondor / 6-0, Revoker on Vial.
    8. silkster: Gemstone Mine, Duress, Crashing Footfalls, Restore Balance / 6-0, Ratchet Bomb plus an attack wins on the play. OTD, I win the same if Bomb isn't Duressed turn one, but that gives enough time for Overseer + Revoker to win before either Balance or Footfalls can land.
    9. Tylert: Sinkhole, The tabernacle at pendrell vale, Urborg, tomb of yawgmoth, Inkmoth nexus / 0-6, Nothing to do.
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: Chancellor of the Dross, Unmask, Unmask, Force of Despair / 0-6, I got nothing.
    11. Serguei: Peat Bog, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Nether Spirit / 0-6, Forced to play into Smallpox.
    12. H: Swamp, Witch's Oven, Witch's Oven, Cauldron Familiar / 6-0, Revoker on Oven.
    13. FTW: Radiant Fountain, Tel-Jilad Stylus, Dimir Aqueduct, Reality Acid / 6-0, Revoker on Stylus.
    14. maxx!: Peat Bog, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Firemane Angel / 0-6, Again forced to play into Smallpox.

36 points.

1. Asthereal (TO): Sheltered Valley, Island, Energy Field, Energy Field WW - Duress turns out to be tech against you casting Energy Field, which I can force with suspended Footfalls.
    2. dte: Pox, Swamp, Dark Ritual, Nether spirit WW - I underestimated Rhinos. Again.
    3. PJim: City of Traitors, Steel Overseer, Phyrexian Revoker, Ratchet Bomb LL
    4. alphastryk: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Radiant Fountain, Mishra's Factory, Maze of Ith LL - You hold Tabernacle until after Footfalls resolves, and I can't try to wait you out thanks to Radiant Fountain.
    5. Reeplcheep: Peat Bog , Sheltered Valley, nether spirit , Nether spirit WW
    7. jhhdk: Karakas, Porcelain Legionnaire, Aether vial, Mangara of Corondor WW
    8. silkster: Gemstone Mine, Duress, Crashing Footfalls, Restore Balance LW - We try to avoid dying to the round rule, but in the end we accept our fates.
    9. Tylert: Sinkhole, The tabernacle at pendrell vale, Urborg, tomb of yawgmoth, Inkmoth nexus WW - Hilariously, I can let you die to the round rule on the draw.
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: Chancellor of the Dross, Unmask, Unmask, Force of Despair LL
    11. Serguei: Peat Bog, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Nether Spirit WW
    12. H: Swamp, Witch's Oven, Witch's Oven, Cauldron Familiar WW - This entry is clever and almost got there against the Rhinos. (Trample was relevant after all!)
    13. FTW: Radiant Fountain, Tel-Jilad Stylus, Dimir Aqueduct, Reality Acid WW
    14. maxx!: Peat Bog, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Firemane Angel WW

19w = 57 points

Land hate was good this round, as was Duress. Figured Sphere prison was going to be awful, so went with the classic 1-drop strategy.
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 04-21-2021 at 03:56 PM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post
    Dang, I thought of a better deck and tried to send it instead, but I was too slow 🙃
    Or just unlucky that the others who were late sent their decks before you, and I posted decks as soon as I saw your PM.

Nice upside down smily by the way. I didn't know this forum could make those. I can't even steal it from your post except by copy-paste from the quote. 🙃
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post
    What was the other deck?

1. Asthereal (TO): Sheltered Valley, Island, Energy Field, Energy Field WW
    2. dte: Pox, Swamp, Dark Ritual, Nether spirit Pretty sure it's LL
    3. PJim: City of Traitors, Steel Overseer, Phyrexian Revoker, Ratchet Bomb LL
    4. alphastryk: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Radiant Fountain, Mishra's Factory, Maze of Ith looks like WW,
    5. Reeplcheep: Peat Bog , Sheltered Valley, nether spirit , Nether spirit WW
    6. Wrath of Pie: Bayou, Crashing Footfalls, Evil Presence, Duress LL, but pretty close race OTP
    7. jhhdk: Karakas, Porcelain Legionnaire, Aether vial, Mangara of Corondor <--- ME!!!
    8. silkster: Gemstone Mine, Duress, Crashing Footfalls, Restore Balance WL I barely manage to kill him before balance resolves
    9. Tylert: Sinkhole, The tabernacle at pendrell vale, Urborg, tomb of yawgmoth, Inkmoth nexus WW
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: Chancellor of the Dross, Unmask, Unmask, Force of Despair LL
    11. Serguei: Peat Bog, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Nether Spirit Looks like LL, Valey steals my potential draw.
    12. H: Swamp, Witch's Oven, Witch's Oven, Cauldron Familiar Looks like WW
    13. FTW: Radiant Fountain, Tel-Jilad Stylus, Dimir Aqueduct, Reality Acid LL, I thought I had a chance for a second until i realized you dont have to wait for vanishing on acid.
    14. maxx!: Peat Bog, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Firemane Angel Maybe WW, I think legionnaire can evade smallpox and he wins race.

Looks like 13*W = 39pts
    Last edited by jhhdk; 04-23-2021 at 08:01 AM.

Me: silkster: Gemstone Mine, Duress, Crashing Footfalls, Restore Balance

WW. I only managed to brainstorm 3 prospective decks and this was basically one of them.

WL. The play is easy, but on the draw my Rhinos land while I'm at 1 life and summoning sickness means I lose.
    I double counted the lifeloss in one of my turns. WW

LL. Such aggression!

4. alphastryk: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Radiant Fountain, Mishra's Factory, Maze of Ith
    LL. I didn't really think this round through, except against Asthereal's deck.
    WL, not sure how I miscounted.

5. Reeplcheep: Peat Bog , Sheltered Valley, nether spirit , Nether spirit WW, ignore Balance. Go Rhinos.
    6. Wrath of Pie: Bayou, Crashing Footfalls, Evil Presence, Duress WL (not DD cause one bleeds out first)
    7. jhhdk: Karakas, Porcelain Legionnaire, Aether vial, Mangara of Corondor WL
    I did the math for this. If I Balance first, my Rhinos land while I'm at 1 life, and 1 attack isn't enough. I actually stopped there, but it turns out going straight to Rhinos is better. Except Karakas.

9. Tylert: Sinkhole, The tabernacle at pendrell vale, Urborg, tomb of yawgmoth, Inkmoth nexus WW (Inkmoth is awkward here.)
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: Chancellor of the Dross, Unmask, Unmask, Force of Despair LL (Bold to accept losses to Sheltered Valley. Then again, I think I lose to Plains + Savannah Lions.)
    11. Serguei: Peat Bog, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Nether Spirit WW
    12. H: Swamp, Witch's Oven, Witch's Oven, Cauldron Familiar LL
    13. FTW: Radiant Fountain, Tel-Jilad Stylus, Dimir Aqueduct, Reality Acid WW
    14. maxx!: Peat Bog, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Firemane Angel WW

17W 9L -> 51 points.

Duress was good. Balance was not.

My decks were:
    Sheltered Valley, Island, Energy Field, Leyline of Sanctity
    Chancellor to get ahead on life and just sit there with some kind of other defense/disruption.
    What I played.

I kinda wanted to play Heroes Remembered cause it will never be better than in this round, but it's still not good. It's funny on the play against the Chancellor though.

Aether Vial vs Rhinos Math

19, AV; 19, FF 4
    18, 1 counter; 18, FF 3
    17, 2 counters; 17, FF 2
    16, 3 counters, Legionnaire; 16, FF 1
    15, Mangara, attack for 3; 12, cast Rhinos.
    From here, Mangara trades with one Rhino, and the other one holds off a Legionnaire and attacks on the final turn to win.... Is what I would have said if you didn't have Karakas bounce. But I'm leaving this math up here because this is the relevant math against the other Footfalls deck since it turns off Karakas bounce.
    Last edited by silkster; 04-25-2021 at 10:36 PM.

Feb 2014

Pox! I thought the round rule could allow for pox to shine, as normally even if you resolve pox (so past discard and counters) it is unable to win against maze, tabernacle, any 1 mana removal, any creature playable from one land that beat nether spirit.
    Here even if the spirit doesn't do damage, we can win. I could just wait till T2 or T17 to be at 18 vs 19 or 3 vs 4 to cast pox OTP. I thought that was an elegant use of the round rule, seems that it wasn't a very original one.

6-0. Pox wins.

6-0. creatures, pox wins it.

0-6. Spirit cannot get past your lands, and fountain gives you the heads up.

0-6. That beats me. why 2 spirits? that beats me too?

0-6. OTP it goes 12-13, 12-12 s4, 11-12 spirit, 11-11 s3, 10-9, 10-8 s2, 9-6, 9-5 s1, 8-3, 8-2 cast footfalls, 7-2, 7-1 attack-block I take 6 (damn trample!) 1-1, I die with you at 1.

6-0. OTD pox T1, OTP pox T2 and our creatures trade, whichever you chose. Youhou, first time I can make full use of the round rule.

0-6. see WoP.

9. Tylert: Sinkhole, The tabernacle at pendrell vale, Urborg, tomb of yawgmoth, Inkmoth nexus
    6-0. What I was hoping to see. I can basically ignore your deck, except I cannot attack with spirit, but the round rules win it for me both OTP and OTD.

10. GoblinSmashmaster: Chancellor of the Dross, Unmask, Unmask, Force of Despair
    3-3. Pox T1 wins OTP, Unmask T1 wins OTD.

0-6, see Reeplcheep.

6-0. Pox wins that

0-6. Nice deck :)

0-6. Cannot beat that?

I really did not expect so many pseudo-mirrors (smallpox or nether spirit, or fireman angel), which I all lose 0-6 :P

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    ---
    WL. The play is easy, but on the draw my Rhinos land while I'm at 1 life and summoning sickness means I lose.
    ---
    0-6. OTP it goes 12-13, 12-12 s4, 11-12 spirit, 11-11 s3, 10-9, 10-8 s2, 9-6, 9-5 s1, 8-3, 8-2 cast footfalls, 7-2, 7-1 attack-block I take 6 (damn trample!) 1-1, I die with you at 1.
    I saw your posts after finishing mine, and both of you agree for WL, but on my count I lose both, leaving you at one when I am OTP?

Pox! I thought the round rule could allow for pox to shine, as normally even if you resolve pox (so past discard and counters) it is unable to win against maze, tabernacle, any 1 mana removal, any creature playable from one land that beat nether spirit.
    Here even if the spirit doesn't do damage, we can win. I could just wait till T2 or T17 to be at 18 vs 19 or 3 vs 4 to cast pox OTP. I thought that was an elegant use of the round rule, seems that it wasn't a very original one.

0-6. see WoP.
    I agree with your math here. I accidentally double counted the life loss on myself for one turn in my own notes. I thought I would just lump your attack into the next upkeep's bleed, but then I counted the bleed again anyway.

I really like your idea to use the round rule to game the rounding when dividing by 3. That's beautiful and I'm sad it didn't work out.

Also, it turns out that when you delete a post, you leave an irrevocable blight on the thread. Oops. I had misread your post as saying that you won, and I was like "um, I have Duress on the play", but then I realized my error and panicked.

1. Asthereal (TO): Sheltered Valley, Island, Energy Field, Energy Field LW - We both die to the round rule.
    One Duress single handedly defeats both Energy Fields. You go WW.

I should work on being better at combat math, I though Spirit was faster than it was.

One Duress single handedly defeats both Energy Fields. You go WW.
    Oh right, the triggered ability. That would do it.

6. Wrath of Pie: Bayou, Crashing Footfalls, Evil Presence, Duress WL (not DD cause one bleeds out first)
    It's actually LW, because the round trigger triggers on the upkeep so whoever goes first loses, but that's really a minor technicality.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Sheltered Valley & Energy Field beats me. LL

0-6

Fountain puts me ahead in Bleeding race, and Spirit can't beat Maze. There's no way for you to stop me from keeping those 2 lands available. WW

6-0

Fountain puts me ahead in Bleeding race and you can't get past Maze + Tabernacle. WW

6-0

This is my lands deck.

I can't push damage through your Spirits, and Sheltered Valley keeps you alive so the Bleeding doesn't kill you. LL

0-6

Duress is a blank, and I can always hold Tabernacle to save it from Presence until you resolve Footfalls since Fountain puts me ahead in the Bleeding race. WW

6-0

My Lands deck can't beat your Death & Taxes deck. LL

0-6

@silkster you have this as WW for me, but I'm pretty sure its WL - you can suspend Restore Balance to start with, then Duress to get rid of the Duress / Mine counter, then suspend Footfalls. When Restore Balance resolves I lose everything (stack that suspend before Footfalls), and Factory doesn't win before then (turn 8 turn kill with the round rules, you Balance it away on your turn 7). Only question is whether the Rhinos kill me before the Bleeding kills you. When I'm OTP, Factory + Bleed gets you down to 1 before the suspend action, so that races the Rhinos. When I'm OTD, Factory + Bleed gets you to 4 before the suspend action, while I'm at 15. Rhinos win that race.

3-3

I like the idea of Inkmoth to beat life gain, maybe I should have gone that route. As for our match, if you Sinkhole my Maze to push through with Inkmoth, you lose the race to my Factory. If you instead Sinkhole my Factory, Maze blanks Inkmoth. EDIT - due to the Bleeding this round, that results in WW for me as Fountain puts me ahead in the race.

6-0

Your deck doesn't interact with mine, and Factory gets the job done. WW

6-0

I can't push damage through your Spirit, and Sheltered Valley keeps you alive so the Bleeding doesn't kill you. LL

0-6

Can't beat Cat+Oven. LL

0-6

I was thinking about Stylus / Acid a few weeks ago for this round but I forgot to revisit it - great plan. LL

0-6

I've got Maze / Tabernacle as junk cards for Smallpox, and Factory offsets the life gain from Angel + Valley, so the life from Radiant Fountain should be enough to let me win the Bleeding race.

WW

6-0

Total: 39 points
    Last edited by alphastryk; 04-22-2021 at 08:56 AM.

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "Sheltered Valley"

You take shelter :( 0-6

Unmask Pox 3-3

Unmask/force both 6-0

Oops no spells 0-6

You take shelter 0-6

Unmask/force Duress and rhinos 6-0

Unmask creatures 6-0

Unmask/force Duress and rhinos 6-0

Oops no spells 0-6

That's me, playing 8 fewer goblins

You take shelter 0-6

Unmask/force CatOven 6-0

Unmask both 3-3

You take shelter 0-6

Total: 36 points

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post

I like the idea of Inkmoth to beat life gain, maybe I should have gone that route. As for our match, if you Sinkhole my Maze to push through with Inkmoth, you lose the race to my Factory. If you instead Sinkhole my Factory, Max blanks Inkmoth for the draw. DD

2-2
    Not possible to be DD with the round rule and no repeatable lifegain. You should WW given your analysis.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Not possible to be DD with the round rule and no repeatable lifegain. You should WW given your analysis.
    I can Sinkhole a land and this will put energy field in the graveyard. Inkmoth nexus will win this. It's more LL for asthereal I think.

Thread Information