Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 4CBS13: a 4-cards blind backbuild bannathon season

Re: 4CBS13: a 4-cards blind backbuild bannathon season

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    As a senior software developer, this hurt to read
    As a senior software developer, where do you think I internalized it?

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    As a senior software developer, where do you think I internalized it?
    Fair enough!

How does Cryptic Spires work? Do you declare what colours it uses during deck submission, or can it change per match / per game?

Feb 2014

You chose when you submit the deck. It is a classic EtB tapped dual.

Feb 2014

Deadline in 24h, and still missing a few regulars: silkster, maxx!, GoblinSmashmaster (illegal entry), Phasmoid, and maybe H.

Don't miss out!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Small thing: I'll be on holiday at the deadline, and might not be able to post scores (or send a new deck before the deadline for round 2).
    I'll try to get some time in to check and post from wherever we are in Italy at that moment, but don't wait for me if I end up not posting.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Small thing: I'll be on holiday at the deadline, and might not be able to post scores (or send a new deck before the deadline for round 2).
    I'll try to get some time in to check and post from wherever we are in Italy at that moment, but don't wait for me if I end up not posting.
    We'll calculate your scores for R1, no problem!
    And I'll send you a deck by MP that is extremely likely to be one of the round 2 DtB, so you can prepare and send me something before going into holidays.

Also, I do not think I would ban lands that do not have special effects except making mana. So storelands will always be available.

And as I do not want the following to be buried:

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Deadline in 24h, and still missing a few regulars: silkster, maxx!, GoblinSmashmaster (illegal entry), Phasmoid, and maybe H.

I'll submit mine soon. A couple week ago I was sure I knew what I was going to submit, but the next day I found a deck more. Then I found a deck I thought I would like more, but it turns out that I don't. So I saved myself from giving you all the tech that you've probably already thought of, but now at least you don't know that I know it.

Edit: submitted.

Also, not banning storage lands is a very interesting and unexpected proposition. There are many other lands that "only make mana" in awkward ways, like Mana Confluence, Gemstone Mine, and the already-banned Veldt. It feels really difficult to draw a sharp line. My vote would be to let anything that isn't a basic land get banned, in part to keep things simple and in part to see more turnover.
    Last edited by silkster; 08-15-2022 at 02:39 PM.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

I also was expecting any nonbasic to get banned, feels hard to determine what counts as "only makes mana"

Feb 2014

Veldt would be unban.
    Mana confluence has many twins (city of brass, but also things like karplusean forest) and would be unbannable.

I would only ban lands with unique effects, eg tabernacle or dark depths. If even with two lands you cannot emulate something similar, then ban.

Otherwise, we are soon playing with 3 drops at most and/or are restricted on colours.

Seems a little late to change the rules.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Seems a little late to change the rules.
    In many seasons, we had adjustments (exact rules, cards banned, etc..).
    Here the only difference would have been veldt banned for one round.

What if only storage lands were immune from bans, aside from basics? It would leave strategies that require large amounts of mana on the table for the whole season, and there is enough nonland color filtering that I don't think that playing multiple colors would be a problem if someone really wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterCocoa View Post
    What if only storage lands were immune from bans, aside from basics? It would leave strategies that require large amounts of mana on the table for the whole season, and there is enough nonland color filtering that I don't think that playing multiple colors would be a problem if someone really wanted to.
    I guess the concern is that 3 or 4 storage lands get banned each round and by round 6 we're out of them, or perhaps more troubling is the round before they're all banned if only one is left and that round has no diversity? People were worried that we'd run out of storage lands in the last two seasons but they lasted through 15-round seasons. Perhaps I'm overestimating the alternatives here. I'm curious what later rounds would look like without storage lands. If we do protect some lands from bans, I'd be in favour of protecting only the storage lands.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I guess the concern is that 3 or 4 storage lands get banned each round and by round 6 we're out of them, or perhaps more troubling is the round before they're all banned if only one is left and that round has no diversity? People were worried that we'd run out of storage lands in the last two seasons but they lasted through 15-round seasons. Perhaps I'm overestimating the alternatives here. I'm curious what later rounds would look like without storage lands. If we do protect some lands from bans, I'd be in favour of protecting only the storage lands.
    The goal of banning is strategic renewal.
    My go would be to ban only the cards that were defining a strategy, so that said strategy cannot be reused.
    For instance, from the sample deck, it could be the helix only.
    If a land is part of the strategy, then we ban it too.

The rest feels a bit like removing options, while complicating deck design / preventing anyone to "hold the banlist in their head"?

And still missing maxx!, GoblinSmashmaster (illegal entry), Phasmoid, and maybe H.

I will post all decklist at 19h (in 8h).

Isn’t the whole point to have the power level increase? Letting the moxen get banned last round let the meta change.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Isn’t the whole point to have the power level increase? Letting the moxen get banned last round let the meta change.
    I definitely thought that was part of the idea where it changes the meta continually, although the changing target decks will do that as well.

Feb 2014

The moxen are basically allowing to ignore the land rule, so that is a bit apart.

We would still ban the cards that led to decks that score >3, just not all cards.
    A bit like the dci is doing, just much faster.

Regarding power level, I couldn't care less whether it increases or not, I thought the point of banning was to foster strategic renewal and strategic diversity.

I submitted!

If I were the boss, I’d ban anything, maybe even including basic lands. There are plenty of Magic cards. I’m not the boss, though.

Speaking of which, thanks for doing the work of organizing (and being the boss), dte.

If the concern is that we could run out of storage lands which might stifle options, then maybe we can just have the storage lands ban-immune and allow everything else to be banned.

Thread Information