View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1167 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 1676671067111711571163116411651166116711681169117011711177 ... LastLast
Results 23,321 to 23,340 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    It's almost like Delver was always a better card.

I don't have a dog in this fight. Just sayin'.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

I too like to flex about being bad at statistics
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Anyway, so now that we've had time to aggregate data and Delver has gone from 22% rep in top 8s to 15%, do you want to apologize and admit you were showing your ass here or what

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Anyway, so now that we've had time to aggregate data and Delver has gone from 22% rep in top 8s to 15%, do you want to apologize and admit you were showing your ass here or what
    What are you talking about. It’s 22% at one of the largest recent events. With everyone gunning for it with multiple maindeck pyroblasts, it still has tier 1 winrates.

What are you talking about. It’s 22% at one of the largest recent events. With everyone gunning for it with multiple maindeck pyroblasts, it still has tier 1 winrates.
    lol, fake profile guy pwned

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Again, bragging about being bad at stats is a weird flex

https://www.mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Expressive Iteration is a dumb card that will be banned
    Also, feeling real good about this call rn

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Delver usually doesn’t have 2 lands plus a land drop on t3 (That means you haven’t wasted or dazed at all on the first 2 turns) or 0 mana proactive spells. Snap caster and TNN are considered lategame cards by delver standards.
    Here's a guy who makes good calls about what cards do and will be played, definitely listening to this guy

Part of being good at stats is accounting for bad data. Top 2 of a 10 man event is essentially useless data.

Sep 2011

28% at Major Events in Last 4 Months (Ragabanned 6 months ago)
    https://www.mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE&meta=188&a=

Next biggest shares:
    8cast 9%
    UWR 9%
    Nothing else over 5%

Under "Last 2 Months" UR Delver is only 15%, but that includes a lot of 10-30 player events with Tier 3 brews. Those take up more meta share in small events.
    Stoneblade v MonoR storm top 2 of 13-player event, Hive Mind winning 18-player event, Aluren & 2 Food Chains top 8 of 32-player event, etc.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Careful that you don’t throw your back out, hauling those goalposts all over

Properly weighting the quality of your data is essential to being a good statistician. Second place in top 8 went 2-1. Every single person in the top 8 of a 80 man event won 3 in a row.

Otherwise you are like the crazies who think 12 double blind studies showing vaccines work and your moms cousins’s hairdressers son got autism are equally valid evidence.

Sep 2011

Careful that you don’t throw your back out, hauling those goalposts all over
    Can't shift goalposts when those are the first I've set.

You mean you disagree with mine. But what are YOUR goalposts? And what makes them right?

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Can't shift goalposts when those are the first I've set.

You mean you disagree with mine. But what are YOUR goalposts? And what makes them right?
    The fact that I'm using the same metric for stat A and stat B, for starts.

You can't use one number for UR Delver prevalence with Ragavan, and another for UR Delver prevalence without, and then say, "Oh but the second stat is more accurate."

If you want to make that case that's fine in a vacuum but you need to apply it to both halves of the things you're comparing to each other

This is like stats 101, if not earlier. This is just basic good argumentation. Scrambling because number A is bigger than number B and that hurts your argument, so you try to find some way to reframe number B to be bigger while not applying the same change in metric to number A is just really obviously bad faith argumentation on a fundamental level.

Honestly it's fucking embarrassing that I have to explain this

Sep 2011

The fact that I'm using the same metric for stat A and stat B, for starts.

You can't use one number for UR Delver prevalence with Ragavan, and another for UR Delver prevalence without, and then say
    Except I never gave a stat A, so I never did anything inconsistent. I only gave data for UR Delver's current metagame dominance. Your patronizing is then irrelevant.

Where does this "before" stat come from? Reeplcheep compared Challenges before and after Ragaban: apples to apples. Nothing wrong there. You pulled out 22% without a source or anyone agreeing on it.

You have to decide on a reasonable way to measure competitive metagame share:
    a) Large Events only
    b) All MTGO Legacy events (Challenges & Leagues, not practice room)
    c) All Paper Legacy events
    d) All Paper and online events (b + c)
    e) Paper and online events logged on mtgtop8

They won't all be the same. The online meta (B) is a bit different from the paper meta (C).

D & E are also different. mtgtop8 has good coverage of large events, but very inconsistent coverage of small events. Some LGS weeklies get posted, most don't. Once in a while an MTGO League result makes it up, but most of the 5-0 dump doesn't. It's a real crapshoot what makes it on there. Very far from all small events. It's not a random sample of them either. Just some of them. Then sometimes they only post top 4, top 2, or the winner. It's a mess.

So even if you wanted to define the metagame by what gets played at ALL events including small LGS Legacy nights (D), mtgtop8 (E) does a messy job of representing it. If you really included ALL paper and online Legacy play, I'd wager the Tier 1 DTBs make up a tiny metagame fraction - while brews and casual jank take up a fair bit. But we don't have good data on it so we'll never know anyway.

IMHO Large Events are the best indicator of the competitive metagame, especially to see if a deck is Tier 0. For small LGS weeklies and MTGO Leagues, players often play a worse deck for fun, even though they know their other deck is better, just because they're bored of Xerox. But when the large event comes up they pull out what they think is best. If Delver is 28% at large events, that says a lot about competitive dominance. The much lower share in small events just means people get bored of Delver, lower tier decks stand a better chance over fewer rounds (more variance), or the more casual players can't afford Volcanic.

To make a fair comparison, look at the large events before Ragaban. I never said to compare it to a different metric from before.
    Last edited by FTW; 07-29-2022 at 04:51 PM.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Except I never gave a stat A, so I never did anything inconsistent. I only gave data for UR Delver's current metagame dominance. Your patronizing is then irrelevant.

Where does this "before" stat come from? Reeplcheep compared Challenges before and after Ragaban: apples to apples. Nothing wrong there. You pulled out 22% without a source or anyone agreeing on it.

You have to decide on a reasonable way to measure competitive metagame share:
    a) Large Events only
    b) All MTGO Legacy events (Challenges & Leagues, not practice room)
    c) All Paper Legacy events
    d) All Paper and online events (b + c)
    e) Paper and online events logged on mtgtop8

They won't all be the same. The online meta (B) is a bit different from the paper meta (C).

D & E are also different. mtgtop8 has good coverage of large events, but very inconsistent coverage of small events. Some LGS weeklies get posted, most don't. Once in a while an MTGO League result makes it up, but most of the 5-0 dump doesn't. It's a real crapshoot what makes it on there. Very far from all small events. It's not a random sample of them either. Just some of them. Then sometimes they only post top 4, top 2, or the winner. It's a mess.

So even if you wanted to define the metagame by what gets played at ALL events including small LGS Legacy nights (D), mtgtop8 (E) does a messy job of representing it. If you really included ALL paper and online Legacy play, I'd wager the Tier 1 DTBs make up a tiny metagame fraction - while brews and casual jank take up a fair bit. But we don't have good data on it so we'll never know anyway.

IMHO Large Events are the best indicator of the competitive metagame, especially to see if a deck is Tier 0. For small LGS weeklies and MTGO Leagues, players often play a worse deck for fun, even though they know their other deck is better, just because they're bored of Xerox. But when the large event comes up they pull out what they think is best. If Delver is 28% at large events, that says a lot about competitive dominance. The much lower share in small events just means people get bored of Delver, lower tier decks stand a better chance over fewer rounds (more variance), or the more casual players can't afford Volcanic.

To make a fair comparison, look at the large events before Ragaban. I never said to compare it to a different metric from before.
    I was going to respond to this earlier but I failed to dig up actual screenshots of the data I'm referencing. That is my failure to take adequate screenshots I guess. I just remember Ragavan-Delver topping out at higher on the same site

To be clear, it's still way too prevalent. Wizards decided to take what was arguably already the best deck/archetype in the format and give it four insanely powerful new cards, and then banned one. And I'm completely open to the argument that Ragavan was the weakest of those four, if the swingiest.

But the idea that banning Ragavan was helping Izzet Delver is still stupid. What's helping Izzet Delver is that they printed three insanely powerful cards to an already tier 1 strategy in the past 18 months or so.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Here's a guy who makes good calls about what cards do and will be played, definitely listening to this guy
    Also pointed out how I literally said Expressive Iteration was going to have to be banned and got laughed at by people who now think they're geniuses of card strength analysis.

Also pointed out how I literally said Expressive Iteration was going to have to be banned and got laughed at by people who now think they're geniuses of card strength analysis.
    I still laugh.
    There's a still quite a few cards ahead of it. In power and banability.

Well maybe not laugh. I did get a good laugh in the dreadnought threads now that they're playing 4 Expressive Iterations like I said they should. I didn't want to say anything but if we're pointing our calls I got one, too!

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I still laugh.
    There's a still quite a few cards ahead of it. In power and banability.

Well maybe not laugh. I did get a good laugh in the dreadnought threads now that they're playing 4 Expressive Iterations like I said they should. I didn't want to say anything but if we're pointing our calls I got one, too!
    At the same time, if you play Dreadnought you know how crappy EI is in Delver. The card is beyond pathetic if you challenge their mana. The ones complaining most about Iteration refuse to adapt and b/c of that failure to adapt they put themselves in the abyss where Delver is able to loop EI-Daze-Sanctuary.

In the same way people that refuse to adapt and build a deck that doesn't die to Goyf keep losing to MurkGoyf.

If you want to break the cycle, Daze is the only ban worth considering. This Delver stuff is less pressing however than banning the already banned cards Mind Twist and Timetwister (Day's, Echo).

Most legacy players want to sit there and cite a 55% non-mirror winrate instead of understanding concepts...so if the winrate is below 55%, why are they complaining? Want to fix the problem - ban Daze.

Guess what happens if you ban Iteration: Predict + DRC. Then hooray for spending the next 9 months saying "we have to ban DRC"...

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The ones complaining most about Iteration refuse to adapt
    Turn on your monitor.

Thread Information