Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Re: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

It's that wonderful time, two hours before the deadline. Where I think I'm the most special poster in the world, and that surely my idea will win the game. Such hope. I can't wait to see how all the 4cb vets slap us down. Like how last season I thought 50 turns was a lot and then like 7 people showed up with flailers that just can't win games.

Right now would usually be the time that I'm desperately deciding between 3 strategies, and one or two specific card choices within those strategies. But since I'm hosting, all you responsible people have already submitted. I didn't get any new entrants in the past 24 hours, but there were a few updates.

Some of the vets still intimidate me, despite the fact that I'm probably a vet at this point. I want to say that my first entry was season 7 round 2, but I'd played a bit of 3CB on reddit many years ago. Then again, didn't a newbie win last season? And dte got something like two firsts and a second in his first three (full) seasons.

1. silkster (TO): Through the Breach, Thassa's Oracle, Pact of Negation, Pact of Negation
    Ironically, the only reason I thought of Through the Breach was because I thought of Flash first, and I knew perfectly well how it worked, but then I read it again and the "doesn't reduce colored mana" clause threw me off and I forgot that it still enters play. I was a bit rushed opening this round, but to be fair, I'm not sure I would have found much better anyway.

2. dte: flash, Thassa's Oracle, silence, Tibalt's Trickery
    LL, Silence instead of a counter here is brutal.
    DD, Breach is a winning response to Silence, so we stare.

3. Dooey: Angel's Grace, Veil of Summer, Flash, Thassa's Oracle
    LL to Angel's Grace.

4. FTW: Savage Summoning, Tidehollow Sculler, Unsubstantiate, Mindbreak Trap
    DD, whoever flinches first loses.

5. jfb1337: Mana Short, Tibalt's Trickery, Black Lotus, Thassa's Oracle
    WW, counters clash, but then I'm faster.

6. FourDogsinaHorseSuit: leyline of anticipation, laboratory maniac, street wraith, pact of negation
    WW, two counters beats one.

7. GoblinSmashmaster: Chancellor of the Forge, Pyrokinesis, Wheel and Deal, Angel's Grace
    LL, nice control deck.

8. BirdsOfParadise: Fountain of Cho, Path to Exile, Sliver Queen, Solitude
    WW

9. Symbi: Mental Misstep, Tidehollow Sculler, Unsubstantiate, Red Elemental Blast
    WW, two counters meet, but then I'm faster.

10. Asthereal: Wistful Thinking, Silence, The Rack, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    WW by going fast.

11. Reeplcheep: Tidehillow Sculler, Laboratory Maniac, Leyline of Anticipation, Leyline of Lifeforce
    LL, you play Maniac and just wait.

12. Wrath of Pie: Leyline of Anticipation, Manamorphose, Thassa's Oracle, Pact of Negation
    WW, two counters beats one.

12W, 4D, 6L for 40 points.

I was really worried when the first three entries all crushed mine (there was a resubmission). I found Angel's Grace pretty early on as a counter to Thassa's Oracle, but then I had flashbacks to that time that I played Call to the Netherworld to go 4-1 against the obvious best deck of the round (Burning Inquiry) and then only one person played it. I tried to vow not to make the mistake of metagaming against what I thought was the clear best deck, though I think it took less than a season for me to repeat my mistake. I haven't actually checked how well Angel's Grace does here, but I felt instant regret when I saw people playing it.

I did expect that some people would play cards that can counter uncounterable stuff (though I missed Unsubstantiate), and I considered trying to win with stuff that doesn't need to be cast, but I thought that would be diving even deeper into the Netherworld mistake.

I was going to say that I hope my results stand cause I want these cards out, but I'm sure Oracle and Lab Man are on their way out, and both Through the Breach and Pact of Negation seem fine after that.

Feb 2014

1. silkster (TO): Through the Breach, Thassa's Oracle, Pact of Negation, Pact of Negation
    2-2. Looks like 2-2. I first wondered if you've knowlingly chose to keep oracle legal. That makes it clear ;)

Me, thinking that if Oracle is legal, it should be played.

2-2 again. If I start with silence or flash, you win. If you start with flash, I answer with silence, which will let me counter flash.

2-2 again. If you start with sculler, I answer with silence and win.

Up to now it is more draws thn I ever got on backbuild!

6-0. That I win.
    Starting is worse for you, so you let me do something, which is Silence
    answer Tibald
    answer flash and win.
    or answer mana short -> answer flash, tibalt your tibalt.

6. FourDogsinaHorseSuit: leyline of anticipation, laboratory maniac, street wraith, pact of negation
    6-0. I silence, if you pact I let it resolve. If you answer with labman, I answer oracle.

7. GoblinSmashmaster: Chancellor of the Forge, Pyrokinesis, Wheel and Deal, Angel's Grace
    6-0.
    Silence.
    Response wheel--> counter it. Either you play grace, and I win next turn, or you do not, and I win.
    Response grace. I wait, and have flash + tibalt vs wheel.

6-0. No Oracle?

9. Symbi: Mental Misstep, Tidehollow Sculler, Unsubstantiate, Red Elemental Blast
    0-6. I do not see how I can win here, well-designed!

10. Asthereal: Wistful Thinking, Silence, The Rack, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    6-0. Wistful being sorcery gives me more answers.

11. Reeplcheep: Tidehillow Sculler, Laboratory Maniac, Leyline of Anticipation, Leyline of Lifeforce
    6-0. Silence --> sculler --> flash.

12. Wrath of Pie: Leyline of Anticipation, Manamorphose, Thassa's Oracle, Pact of Negation
    6-0. Silence --> manamorphose --> Tibalt --> pact --> Flash

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    2-2. Looks like 2-2. I first wondered if you've knowlingly chose to keep oracle legal. That makes it clear ;)
    You lead on Silence. If I let it go, you Flash and win. If I counter it, you do nothing more and let me lose on my upkeep.
    And here I was wondering if you chose Silence specifically to beat Pact of Negation.

I vaguely considered a starting banlist, but
    1. It's a nice change of pace to play obscenely powerful decks for a moment.
    2. Using a starting banlist requires deciding on a starting banlist, and I wanted neither to choose it without input nor to spend the time collecting input.
    3. Making a banlist is like having spoilers, cause it brings everyone's attention to one place before anything has even started. Going in fresh is nice once in a while. Round 2 will have plenty of context.

I look forward to lots of stuff getting banned.

Oh, I never declared anything either way, but I was thinking 12 rounds. I think the card pool will be interesting for quite some time, and I actually think the diversity of decks will only increase. The only issue is the growing banlist. We can reassess half way through.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    You lead on Silence. If I let it go, you Flash and win. If I counter it, you do nothing more and let me lose on my upkeep.
    And here I was wondering if you chose Silence specifically to beat Pact of Negation.
    I chose silence vs angel's grace and savage summoning.

But instead of countering it, why not answering by through the breach?
    If I flash, you counter, If I counter, you counter.

Basically we have three instants each, so whoever moves first loses and it is DD.

Or I missed something, which I hope as I would win then :)

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    I chose silence vs angel's grace and savage summoning.

But instead of countering it, why not answering by through the breach?
    If I flash, you counter, If I counter, you counter.

Basically we have three instants each, so whoever moves first loses and it is DD.

Or I missed something, which I hope as I would win then :)
    Nope, you're totally right. And I've known about this matchup for like 3 days, so I can't even pretend I was rushed after posting it.

[QUOTE=silkster;1102446]Season 14: Round 1 Lists

0-2 I don't think I can beat two pacts.

0-2 You force action with silence. I respond with labman, you respond with either flash or trickery, I respond with pact, you respond with the other.

0-2 I can't beat two protection spells

0-0-2 If you start I can let Sculler and Summoning Resolve. When they do, I can cast Labman, pact your counter, and cycle street wraith. If you chose to hold, then on my draw step I can cast labman, you can then flash in sculler to take pact. Once pact is taken you cast unsubstantiate and strand labman in my hand. So both of us wait for the other to take an action.
    2 pts

2-0 Kill you on your upkeep with pact for Tickery
    6 points, 8

Should have looked up the flash/thoracle combo.

0-2 if I do nothing, I lose to Chancellor. So On my drawstep I cast Labman. You respond with angel's grace and Wheel and deal. If I let Wheel resolve i have no counter for Pyrokinesis. If I counter it, you pyrokinesis, and kill lab man. I could cycle Street Wraith but you're still under grace protection.

2-0 I cast labman in draw step. You now have to kill it before the step ends, this forces action from you. I respond with pact for the first answer, and you have to spend your second, I respond by Cycling Street Wraith
    6 points, 14
    0-2 You force action with Sculler. I respond with Labman. You cast Unsubstantiate. I respond with pact and you REB. Sculler takes the Wraith and beats me down.
    2-0 Cast Labman in the first upkeep the first time I get priority. Channel Street Wraith
    6 points, 20
    2-0 On your upkeep I cycle street wraith, retain priority and cast labman. Labman resolves first then the cycle resolves. You die before your draw step where you would have won
    6 points, 26
    0-0-2 Whomever casts a spell loses. Since the action will be: Respond to your combo with mine, pact your pact.
    2 points, 28 total

LL - You're faster and win the counter war

LL - When you have priority, you flash, I mana short, you silence, I trickery flash an you trickery back. And if I go for mana short first, you silence, we trade trickeries, then you flash.

WW - If you flash, I mana short, you veil, I trickery flash. If you veil, I mana short, you flash, I trickery flash. So you do nothing. If I mana short first, you veil then flash, so I don't. I play oracle, you angel's grace, then I beat you down with a 1/3.

DD - If you sculler, I mana short, you unsub, I trickery sculler. If you savage, I mana short, you unsub, I trickery unsub. So you do nothing. If I mana short first, you play savage into sculler. If I play lotus, you savage, I mana short, you unsub, I trickery unsub, you MBT. So we stare.

LL - I trickery labman, you pact. Mana short does nothing.

WW - If you wheel I trickery it. I can mana short to lock you out of grace, then win with oracle next turn.

WW - That doesn't interact with oracle.

WL - I mana short, you unsub, I trickery, you REB mana short. Then who plays their sorcery speed threat first wins.

WW - I mana short you then win.

LL - I can't stop sculler taking oracle.

LL - I trickery morphose or oracle, you pact. Mana short does nothing.

Total: 9W 2D = 29.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I vaguely considered a starting banlist, but
    1. It's a nice change of pace to play obscenely powerful decks for a moment.
    No actually it's not fun to start 30 points down because everyone else knew the best two card combo before we sat down.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Abrupt Decay would have been hilariously good in this round.
    I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    No actually it's not fun to start 30 points down because everyone else knew the best two card combo before we sat down.
    Lab Maniac has a relevant advantage over Oracle: you can cast it with the starting mana.

Yeah, that's definitely a bad feeling. I'm sorry that happened this round.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Lab Maniac has a relevant advantage over Oracle: you can cast it with the starting mana.
    Lab Man also beats Angel's Grace.

Fast thassa’s oracle seemed to be the obvious choice, but anti-meta decks usually don’t pan out for me. This is a thoracle deck that trades a bit of speed for dodging a lot of the targeted hate. Not needing a setup card is nice.

If you through the breach, I sculler Thassa’s Oracle. I cast an uncounterable lab maniac on my t2/t1 upkeep (play draw respectively)
    WW 6-0

This is where my lack of speed hurts. LL 0-6

I don’t care about grace but I can’t beat veil into flash. LL 0-6

MBT is dead, and so is summoning. Whoever moves first loses, so DD 2-2

mana short and tibalt’s trickery do nothing. I cast sculler in response to lotus. WW 6-0

A faster but more fragile version of my deck. I can sculler your wraith in response to lab manic, so whoever goes second wins. LW 3-3.
    I have no window to steal street wraith. LL 0-6

Angels grace is dead. With tricky play I can win. If I cast lab maniac, hold priority, sculler there is no window where both of my dudes are on the battlefield and you can pyro them both. WW 6-0.

I take your only castable removal t1 and then win. WW 6-0

LL 0-6

I cast lab maniac and pay for the upkeep. WW 6-0

What I was thinking of originally. I sculler your thoracle in response to manamorphose. WW 6-0

12 2D 6L for 38/66
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 10-26-2022 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    A faster but more fragile version of my deck. I can sculler your wraith in response to lab manic, so whoever goes second wins. LW 3-3.
    What if I put both wraith-cycle and labman on the stack at the same time?

Angel's grace beats your oracle. You pact my spells then die to pact triggers. WW, 6 points, 6 total.

Agree with your assessment, we stare. DD, 2 points, 8 total.

It me. 8 total.

Veil doesn't stop unsubstantiate. LL, 0 points, 8 total.

Agree with your assessment. LL, 0 points, 8 total.

Flash + Veil beats pact. WW, 6 points, 14 total.

Angle's Grace beats oracle and 1/1 beats me down. LL, 0 points, 14 total.

Flash oracle. WW, 6 points, 20 total.

You interaction beats my defense. LL, 0 points, 20 total.

I lead on flash and you can't stop it. WW, 6 points, 26 total.

Veil comes in clutch and stops sculler from taking my oracle. WW, 6 points, 32 total.

Angel's grace beats oracle, veil beats pact (or you die to pact trigger). WW, 6 points, 38 total.

A lot more variety than I was expecting with Thassa's oracle legal. I'm impressed!

What if I put both wraith-cycle and labman on the stack at the same time?
    That's a really slick play. I love it.

Sep 2011

I overthought this round. I submitted Silence, Savage Summoning, Laboratory Maniac, Street Wraith last week. With a few hours left, I changed to the Sculler deck.

Instant Lab Man/Thassa was the obvious Tier 1. The natural way to fight it was cheap counters, so the logical step was to make the combo T0 uncounterable (Savage Summon/Leyline + cycle to draw) instead of trying to win a counter war. Silence was for the same reasons as dte. I preferred Lab Man over Thassa because you can make the whole thing uncounterable and it beats stuff like Angel's Grace and Trickbind.

As the week went on, I saw that dedicated hate decks like my current deck WW against Savage-Maniac. Savage Summoning+disruptive creature was popular in past WBURG rounds, so I expected a few. I also liked how both Unsubstantiate and Mindbreak Trap interact with uncounterable spells, thinking more players would be on the uncounterable plan. If we do everything on turn 0, Mindbreak must be relevant right? So I switched. Turns out Mindbreak is dead in almost every matchup and would be better as any other card (e.g. Trickbind, creature). I expected more Savage Summoning and less Leyline or Flash, which really affects the spell count in mirrors! Instead of trying to find the perfect hate deck, I should have just played the DTB.

1. silkster (TO): If you play Through the Breach, I can Savage-Sculler in response to exile Thassa. But if I try to play Sculler first, you can Breach in response and counter Unsubstantiate. DD 2-2
    2. dte: If you try to Flash, I can Savage-Sculler in response. I can unsub Silence. If you counter with Tibalt, I can Mindbreak that. If play Silence before Flash, I Unsub Silence, you counter with Tibalt, I Savage-Sculler in response, and I can Mindbreak Flash. So instead you do nothing. But I can't act first either. DD 2-2
    3. Dooey: I came ready to beat stuff like this. Veil and Angel's Grace don't interact with my deck. I can Unsub Flash and win with Sculler. WW 6-0
    5. jfb1337: If you Mana Short me, I respond with Savage-Sculler exiling Thassa. If you don't Mana Short and play Lotus, I respond with Savage. You Mana Short me to prevent Sculler, I Unsub it, you counter with Tibalt, and then I have Mindbreak Trap to win the stack. So you can't act first. If I lead with Savage-Sculler, the same thing happens except Mindbreak Trap isn't live so I would lose. We stare. DD 2-2
    6. FourDogsinaHorseSuit: If you put Maniac on the stack, I play Savage-Sculler exiling Pact, then I can Unsub your Maniac. But if I lead with with Savage or Sculler, you will respond with Lab Man and can Pact my Unsub.
    I came ready to beat this with Savage Summoning but not Leyline! Leyline is ironically better. Your spells are counterable in other MUs, but Mindbreak is dead. DD 2-2
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: You start with a 1/1 so I have to act first. If I play Savage, you Wheel me and I Unsub it to save Sculler, but then you have Pyrokinesis to kill my 3/3 in response to the discard. I can't win, so I just Unsub your token instead to draw. DD 2-2
    8. BirdsOfParadise: You metagamed against Unsubstantiate!! When I play Sculler, if I unsub your removal, it goes back to hand!! Then you can make more white mana. I can only exile one removal spell. You will keep the other, kill my Sculler, then win with Solitude. LL 0-6
    9. Symbi: If I play T0 Savage-Sculler, you can Unsubstantiate, I Unsubstantiate back, then you REB it to win. I do nothing. If you put Tidehollow on the stack, I respond with Savage-Sculler (would be 3/3). You must disrupt with Unsub, I Unsub back, you REB mine, and then I can Mindbreak the stack to win. So we stare. DD 2-2
    10. Asthereal: Edit: Wistful Thinking is a sorcery! I play Savage, you play Silence, I Unsub it, then Sculler resolves exiling The Rack. But Tabernacle will eventually kill my creature, returning Rack. LL 0-6
    11. Reeplcheep: If you put Tidehollow on the stack first, I respond with Savage. You must respond with Lab Man (before I can exile it), I Unsub Lab Man, then make 3/3 Sculler. My 3/3 races your 2/2.
    If you put Lab Man on the stack first, I just Unsub it. Then if you ever put Tidehollow on the stack, I Savage-Sculler making a 3/3 to win. You can't act first so we stare. DD 2-2
    12. Wrath of Pie: I lead with Savage-Sculler. If you respond with Manamorphose -> Thassa, I Unsub Thassa, then if you Pact I can Mindbreak your spells. WW 6-0

Total: 26 points (4 wins, 14 draws, 4 loss)

Edit: Should have stuck with Savage-Maniac. Would be 36+ points.
    Last edited by FTW; 11-01-2022 at 02:33 PM.

Thread Information