Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Re: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    5. Dooey: Lesser Masticore, Mizzix's Mastery, Biorhythm, Radiant Fountain
    Goblin smash, then Noxious! 6-0
    Yep, noxious on my biorhythm is a line I didn't see. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooey View Post
    Yep, noxious on my biorhythm is a line I didn't see. Nice.
    But wait, if you noxious revival biorhythm on my turn, you can only make 6 goblins on your turn. With my 2/2 to block 1 every turn, you can do 5+4+3+2+1=15 damage which doesn't kill me, and you eventually die to mana vault. Without mana vault you don't have the mana to cast castigate and empty, so you can only make 2 goblins. I can attack into 2 goblins, if you take the trade I persist and win, if you try to race I win.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dooey View Post
    But wait, if you noxious revival biorhythm on my turn, you can only make 6 goblins on your turn. With my 2/2 to block 1 every turn, you can do 5+4+3+2+1=15 damage which doesn't kill me, and you eventually die to mana vault. Without mana vault you don't have the mana to cast castigate and empty, so you can only make 2 goblins. I can attack into 2 goblins, if you take the trade I persist and win, if you try to race I win.
    Interesting.

I think you're both wrong and it should be WD for GoblinSmashmaster.

On your play you go Masticore + Mizzix. Noxious Revival (pay 2 life) is forced to prevent the combo win.
    GoblinSmashmaster can then play Mana Vault (untapped) & Empty for 4 Goblins, which is too few to win, but enough to trade with Masticore + persist without Mana Vault being tapped.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    7. FTW: Mana Vault, Barbed Shocker, Shriekmaw, Flusterstorm

2. dte: Disagreement. I can't win, but you can't either due to the CMC restrictions. I do nothing. If you make Baloth, I hardcast Shriekmaw with WUBRG. You can't Prohibit 5CMC, so Baloth dies, you StP Maw and we draw. The only way to prevent that is to Cleave Dread Fugue to discard Shriekmaw, but that leaves you choked on mana with only 2 left, and you have to choose which mana to spend before I have to react.
    If you leave WG: I Flusterstorm Dread Fugue. If you pay 2, you discard 1 creature but you're out of mana and die to the other. So you have to let Fugue get countered. With WG you can make Baloth and threaten StP (so I don't use Mana Vault), but I can Evoke Maw to kill it and you don't have Prohibit mana. Draw.
    If you leave UG: I Flusterstorm Dread Fugue. You let it get countered. If you suspend Baloth (U left), Prohibit is out so I can Mana Vault -> Maw to kill Baloth when it resolves and I win. If you don't suspend Baloth (UG open), I cast Shocker instead (can't kick Prohibit) and discard your hand and win. So leaving UG is bad for you.
    If you leave UW: I let Fugue resolve. You can discard either creature, but then I play the other and can Flusterstorm your Prohibit or StP (can't cast both) so I would win. Leaving UW is bad for you.
    If you do anything other than Cleave Dread Fugue, I ignore everything and save my mana for hardcast Shriekmaw on Baloth.
    So you either do nothing or let Maw & Baloth trade. DD 2-2
    Agree, 2-2

Interesting.

I think you're both wrong and it should be WD for GoblinSmashmaster.

On your play you go Masticore + Mizzix. Noxious Revival (pay 2 life) is forced to prevent the combo win.
    GoblinSmashmaster can then play Mana Vault (untapped) & Empty for 4 Goblins, which is too few to win, but enough to trade with Masticore + persist without Mana Vault being tapped.
    Yep. Good line.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

How many rounds are we playing this season? The full 15 from the doc?
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    4. Wrath of Pie: Eldrazi Temple, Thought-Knot Seer, Thought-Knot Seer, Spell Pierce

7w4d = 25 points

I'm free!
    We're all free! Eldrazi winter is over! ( I say as the Atlantic northeast faces its coldest day all season.)

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    GoblinSmashmaster Results for "Finally Goblins Smash!"

Total: 29 goblin points :(
    Sad face? 29 points is more than 4 round points. Possibly the highest score this round.

Yeah, well go the full 15 to give everyone a chance to use those stored up ideas.
    Last edited by silkster; 02-03-2023 at 02:07 PM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    We're all free! Eldrazi winter is over! ( I say as the Atlantic northeast faces its coldest day all season.)
    I may be too drunk to follow this cryptic message.

Season's done? Need we congratulize a certain someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    I may be too drunk to follow this cryptic message.

Season's done? Need we congratulize a certain someone?
    I'm just glad that TKS is banned and I was making a joke by referring to when TKS was completely dominant in modern. I think there was a gp that saw 28 copies of TKS in the top 8. I feel like it was crushing all the world that I wanted to play, and now I'm free to brew whatever. The modern Eldrazi winter ended with the banking of Eye of Ugin.

After a few intricacies were worked out (the aggressive version of Noxious Revival is always cool), we have our bans:
    Castigate
    Eldrazi Temple
    Empty the Warrens
    Izzet Boilerworks
    Keldon Megaliths
    Mana Vault
    Maze of Ith
    Noxious Revival
    Spell Pierce
    Thought-Knot Seer

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I'm just glad that TKS is banned and I was making a joke by referring to when TKS was completely dominant in modern. I think there was a gp that saw 28 copies of TKS in the top 8. I feel like it was crushing all the world that I wanted to play, and now I'm free to brew whatever. The modern Eldrazi winter ended with the banking of Eye of Ugin.
    Right, I missed the other Eldrazi deck doing so well. I hadn't expected the difference between the support spells to be this large.
    So we go 15 rounds until we call it quits for S14?

Sep 2011

After a few intricacies were worked out (the aggressive version of Noxious Revival is always cool), we have our bans:
    Castigate
    Eldrazi Temple
    Empty the Warrens
    Izzet Boilerworks
    Keldon Megaliths
    Mana Vault
    Maze of Ith
    Noxious Revival
    Spell Pierce
    Thought-Knot Seer
    If results and bannings are in, why not open the round earlier to give players more submission time?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

If results and bannings are in, why not open the round earlier to give players more submission time?
    I guess the TO hasn't been able to come up with a deck yet.
    Silk has to send his own deck before the rest can start sending.

[QUOTE=silkster;1103337]ROUND 13 OF SEASON 14: WUBRG is now open.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 13, and for fun I made a salted hash at https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha256.html which is 7df3254088462e24050f230b63261f95890a2e6ca50ae6aa7fe96dc0416de13f

[B]DEADLINE: Tuesday, February 7th at 6:00pm Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5). (Later because I have meetings during the day.)
    PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows:

silkster: Smoke, Smoke Teller, Smokespew Invoker, Fire-Lit Thicket.

So with name, colon, and card tags around each card, and not above each other, and with your Username and 4CB S14R13 in the topic.

Usually you should keep an eye on the banned list, found in the second post and in the spreadsheet. Remember that the card pool is Vintage minus Unfinity.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy listbuilding!

PHP Code:
    name and 4CB S14R13
    YOURNAME
    : [cards]A[/cards], [cards]B[/cards], [cards]C[/cards], [cards]D[/cards]. 
    Note: even though Scryfall thinks that Phyrexia All Will Be One is legal, Gatherer does not, so it is NOT legal this week.

1. silkster: Spell Shrivel, Dreadhorde Invasion, Nullhide Ferox, Blood Baron of Vizkopa
    Here's me, completely misreading the meta.

2. GoblinSmashmaster: Zirda, the Dawnwaker, Grim Monolith, Swan Song, Goblin Cannon LL
    3. FTW: Solitude, Restoration Angel, Obscura Interceptor, Dryad Militant WW
    4. Dooey: Chandra, Awakened Inferno, Den of the Bugbear, Mercadian Bazaar, Void Rend LL
    5. Asthereal: Grapeshot, Helm of Awakening, Sensei's Divining Top, Sensei's Divining Top WW
    6. jfb1337: Witherbloom Apprentice, Chain of Smog, Mox Jet, Teferi, Time Raveler LL
    7. dte: Mishra's Workshop, Lodestone Golem, Lupine Prototype, Lupine Prototype LL
    8. Wrath of Pie: Kor Haven, Selesnya Sanctuary, Generous Gift, Elixir of Immortality LL

Lots of cool innovations this week. I remember thinking that Zirda would have been better with something like Magma Mine, but it slipped my mind after laying low for a couple weeks. Even more insulting is that the deck was submitted before I locked in mine and I could have strategized against decks of its kind. I do appreciate that a goblin card was chosen. Teferi does a really good impersonation of Silence here. I had a Workshop + 2x Lodestone Golem + counter deck in my gauntlet, but it seemed inferior to the Eldrazi, and I should have noticed its new viability in the absence of Thought-Knot Seer.

6. jfb1337: Witherbloom Apprentice, Chain of Smog, Mox Jet, Teferi, Time Raveler
    Let's try out this combo again but with a better protection piece

1. silkster: Spell Shrivel, Dreadhorde Invasion, Nullhide Ferox, Blood Baron of Vizkopa
    WW - I play teferi to force out the shrivel, then play witherbloom, pass the turn, and chain next turn.

2. GoblinSmashmaster: Zirda, the Dawnwaker, Grim Monolith, Swan Song, Goblin Cannon
    WL - combo mirror

3. FTW: Solitude, Restoration Angel, Obscura Interceptor, Dryad Militant
    DD - If I go for teferi, obscura stops it and solitude stop my combo. However, if you play out a threat, you no longer have obscura+solitude available as obscura needs to discard something. So we stare.

4. Dooey: Chandra, Awakened Inferno, Den of the Bugbear, Mercadian Bazaar, Void Rend
    WW - protected combo

5. Asthereal: Grapeshot, Helm of Awakening, Sensei's Divining Top, Sensei's Divining Top
    WL - combo mirror

7. dte: Mishra's Workshop, Lodestone Golem, Lupine Prototype, Lupine Prototype
    WW - I can still combo through lodestone

8. Wrath of Pie: Kor Haven, Selesnya Sanctuary, Generous Gift, Elixir of Immortality
    WW - protected combo

Total: 10W2D = 32
    Last edited by jfb1337; 02-08-2023 at 08:58 AM.

Sep 2011

1. Silkster: If you play any threat other than Dreadhorde, you're out of mana and lose to Obscura. If you play Dreadhorde, you can threaten to protect with Spell Shrivel but cannot play any other threat. I play Obscura, you must Spell Shrivel before Connive (or lose), then I still have the resources to play Dryad & evoke Solitude. I can Solitude when you're at 14 life with a 6/6 (I'm at 5) while you took damage from Dryad, then take more Dryad damage before you amass again. But you still recover fast enough. LL 6-0?

2. GoblinSmashmaster: I can disrupt you with either Obscura or Solitude and you can't Swan Song those. Dryad forces you you to act first. WW 6-0

4. Dooey: I start attacking with Dryad. If you play Chandra or Void Rend with starting mana, I can play Obscura to bounce it and stall you many turns while Obscura attacks too. WW 6-

5. Asthereal: Obscura on Helm should stop your combo while Dryad beats. WW 6-0

6. jfb1337: I can disrupt your combo & Teferi. WW 6-0

7. dte: Nice deck. I had a similar Lupine one that I almost played. I do nothing. You have to play your hand out, and then I can Solitude Golem + pay 1 + Resto Angel, & trade my creatures with your remaining creature. DD 2-2

8. Wrath of Pie: Does Dryad Militant exile Generous Gift after resolution? If so, then I can put multiple bodies & up to 8 power on the board (Dryad + Solitude + Resto) while you can't stall as much damage. If Generous Gift on Dryad does not get exiled then you could kill all my creatures but still give me 3/3 tokens and I should still win through Kor or Elixir. WW 6-0?

32 points? (10 wins, 2 draws, 2 loss)

Feb 2014

7. dte: Nice deck. I had a similar Lupine one that I almost played. I do nothing. You have to play your hand out, and then I can Solitude Golem + pay 1 + Resto Angel, & trade my creatures with your remaining creature. DD 2-2
    Why do I have to play everything?
    I only play golem, you have to do something. if you Solitude +resto, I play two prototypes.
    WW 6-0?

And vs WoP OTD, WoP can take a draw even if gift would be exiled (I don't think it is, but not sure) : play land and elixir, gift the land. There is a 3/3 to trade with solitude, and the 2 other creatures drain for 5, which is what elixir gives.

8. Wrath of Pie: Does Dryad Militant exile Generous Gift after resolution? If so, then I can put multiple bodies & up to 8 power on the board (Dryad + Solitude + Resto) while you can't stall as much damage. If Generous Gift on Dryad does not get exiled then you could kill all my creatures but still give me 3/3 tokens and I should still win through Kor or Elixir. WW 6-0?
    If an instant or sorcery spell destroys Dryad Militant directly (like Murder does), that instant or sorcery card will be put into its owner’s graveyard. However, if an instant or sorcery card deals lethal damage to Dryad Militant, Dryad Militant will remain on the battlefield until the next time state-based actions are checked, which is after the instant or sorcery finishes resolving. The instant or sorcery will be exiled.

Thread Information