Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: LOTR Tales from Middle Earth: Our Burden To Bear Is a Purple Gandalf the Gray

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Re: LOTR Tales from Middle Earth: Our Burden To Bear Is a Purple Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    10 FUCKING YEARS LATE, they finally print the card WGR Astral Drift truly needs to take over after they killed damage on the stack.

off the top of my head:

Creatures: 8
    2x Eternal Dragon
    2x Eternal Witness
    4x Drannith Stinger

Sorceries: 10
    4x Edge of Autumn
    4x Sweltering Suns
    2x Life from The Loam

Instants: 10
    4x Reprieve
    3x Wilt
    2x Radiant's Judgment
    3x Zenith Flare

Enchantments: 8
    4x Astral Drift
    4x Lightning Rift

Lands: 24
    2x Emeria, the Sky Ruin
    4x Jetmir's Garden
    4x Flagstones of Trokair
    1x Heliod's Hall of Generosity
    3x Savannah
    3x Plateau
    2x Plains
    1x Forest
    1x Mountain
    3x Wasteland
    I'm totally building something like this for Modern. Just when I thought I was done with that format, this puts a smile on my face.
    Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Re: LOTR Tales from Middle Earth: Our Burden To Bear Is a Purple Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Snacks View Post
    There's this classic from The Guardian.

I prefer the Existential Comics take, personally, which is also genuinely pretty consistent with the themes of the stories

(Also it’s kind of telling to imply that none of the human nations that are largely aligned with Sauron, like the Easterings, Southrons, and Dunlendings are actually human)
    Last edited by TheInfamousBearAssassin; 05-27-2023 at 03:00 PM.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

10 FUCKING YEARS LATE, they finally print the card WGR Astral Drift truly needs to take over after they killed damage on the stack.

off the top of my head:

Creatures: 8
    2x Eternal Dragon
    2x Eternal Witness
    4x Drannith Stinger

Sorceries: 10
    4x Edge of Autumn
    4x Sweltering Suns
    2x Life from The Loam

Instants: 10
    4x Reprieve
    3x Wilt
    2x Radiant's Judgment
    3x Zenith Flare

Enchantments: 8
    4x Astral Drift
    4x Lightning Rift

Lands: 24
    2x Emeria, the Sky Ruin
    4x Jetmir's Garden
    4x Flagstones of Trokair
    1x Heliod's Hall of Generosity
    3x Savannah
    3x Plateau
    2x Plains
    1x Forest
    1x Mountain
    3x Wasteland

I mean, there's an absolute ton of other directions you can go here and I'd honestly prefer a colorshifted Memory Lapse (for 2 mana, not 3 which is unplayable) over Reprieve, but I'll take what I can get. Getting a playable counter in white is just such a huge upgrade for any white/not blue controllish deck. WGB, WRB, WGR, all just got dramatically stronger here.
    This seems bad and is also a Zenith Flare/Rifter deck, not a Slide deck.

Also a good rule of thumb is that if it’s trivially easy to splash a card, like Remand, and it’s never been tempting, then that card getting color shifted isn’t likely to be a defining change

Also seriously no Cast Out or Renewed Faith?

And I mean I love Eternal Dragon more than I think anyone else alive but you should probably just play Timeless here

Also lack of Mox Diamonds is egregious it’s like you just want to lose

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Like legitimately you’d be better off cutting four random cards from a 2005 Rifter or Rabid Wombat list and sticking them in there

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I prefer https://existentialcomics.com/comic/175]the Existential Comics[/url] take, personally, which is also genuinely pretty consistent with the themes of the stories

(Also it’s kind of telling to imply that none of the human nations that are largely aligned with Sauron, like the Easterings, Southrons, and Dunlendings are actually human)
    This post is the Most Left meme ever.
    First you have to do homework to fix the link (you embedded the url within the url)
    Then you're treated to a short satirical essay.
    And then there's a second short essay about who the people in the first essay are.
    And it's all to tell a joke that needed four panels.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    This post is the Most Left meme ever.
    First you have to do homework to fix the link (you embedded the url within the url)
    Then you're treated to a short satirical essay.
    And then there's a second short essay about who the people in the first essay are.
    And it's all to tell a joke that needed four panels.
    If a joke is based around being an essay and you reduce it to a rage comic length meme then you’re usually telling a different joke. A modest proposal isn’t the same as just “let’s eat the poors (/s)”

I guess sorry for the broken link? I’m phone posting and have fat thumbs

If a joke is based around being an essay and you reduce it to a rage comic length meme then you’re usually telling a different joke. A modest proposal isn’t the same as just “let’s eat the poors (/s)”

I guess sorry for the broken link? I’m phone posting and have fat thumbs
    Brevity is the soul of witt.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Brevity is the soul of witt.
    Everyone loves this line from Shakespeare so much they forget it’s from Polonius, a pompous buffoon full of deliberately bad advice, and also that Shakespeare did indeed write full length comedic plays that are still beloved to this day (although comedy always loses more in translation than tragedy.)

Everyone loves this line from Shakespeare so much they forget it’s from Polonius, a pompous buffoon full of deliberately bad advice, and also that Shakespeare did indeed write full length comedic plays that are still beloved to this day (although comedy always loses more in translation than tragedy.)
    Oh word? People remember the one-liner more than anything else?

Brevity, which is to say a speaker's efficacy when retelling an anecdote or crafting a jape is the very essence, often referred to as the "soul" of the work in question...

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Oh word? People remember the one-liner more than anything else?
    Yes that's totally the informed take away I was going for and that you should have, that the one thing people remember Shakespeare's Hamlet for is that line about brevity being the soul of wit. It's extremely notable how true that is and not the most insane thing on Earth to say

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I feel the most important takeaway here is that Reprieve is gonna hoist my Legacy Kithkin deck from Bad Tier to Chad Tier, just you fuckers wait
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

8-mand and rule of law

This seems bad and is also a Zenith Flare/Rifter deck, not a Slide deck.

Also a good rule of thumb is that if it’s trivially easy to splash a card, like Remand, and it’s never been tempting, then that card getting color shifted isn’t likely to be a defining change

Also seriously no Cast Out or Renewed Faith?

And I mean I love Eternal Dragon more than I think anyone else alive but you should probably just play Timeless here

Also lack of Mox Diamonds is egregious it’s like you just want to lose
    Are you seriously trying to lecture ME about cycling decks? Jesus. E.Dragon is there over timeless because you're 99% of the time recurring it with Emeria, not Eternalize or the self return to hand ability. It leans on Rift/Zenith more than slide because you have to win the fucking game, and unless you want to go full Teferi/Chant, you really can't lock people down like that anymore, because wizards is always printing ever stupider shit. Splashing a fourth color carries real costs and it's a lot, lot better to have the effect spell in your main color.

Faith isn't in there because it does nothing and it's not 2006 anymore.

EDIT: to be clear, i threw that deck together in about 28 seconds after I saw the card, but its a fuckload better than whatever Krosan Tusker monstrosity of failure you want to pretend is good.

Wow, sets are so bad that debates over some optimal Astral Drift pile are more interesting.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Are you seriously trying to lecture ME about cycling decks?
    Yes. Honestly, who do you think you're talking to?

Jesus. E.Dragon is there over timeless because you're 99% of the time recurring it with Emeria, not Eternalize or the self return to hand ability.
    ...and?

Also hard to overstate how bad that is.

It leans on Rift/Zenith more than slide because you have to win the fucking game, and unless you want to go full Teferi/Chant, you really can't lock people down like that anymore, because wizards is always printing ever stupider shit. Splashing a fourth color carries real costs and it's a lot, lot better to have the effect spell in your main color.
    I understand the argument for not focus in sliding creatures, but then it's not a slide deck. Why even play slide at that point? Just cut the rift and your token witnesses and focus on the effects you actually want, which is a board-control focused Loam deck.

Faith isn't in there because it does nothing and it's not 2006 anymore.
    You're playing Radiant's Judgment and trying to use Emeria to bring back E Dragons, you don't get to lecture anybody about what year it is.

EDIT: to be clear, i threw that deck together in about 28 seconds after I saw the card, but its a fuckload better than whatever Krosan Tusker monstrosity of failure you want to pretend is good.
    Seriously what year do you think this is lmao

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Also Krosan Tusker would objectively be far better than Edge of Autumn in that pile ftr. Like what the hell you don't even have anything to do with that mana.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

lmao I just processed that you're running Loam *and* a cycling deck but *not* any cycling lands

And no the triomes don't count

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

If we get to talk about Astral Slide decks can I also start a thread for the 2023 version of Teen Girl Squad or Zombie Bidding

What about Balancing Tings, I've always wanted to force a game loss by putting my opponent to sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Thread Information