Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 134

Thread: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

  1. #101
    Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Mystical_Jackass's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2009
    Posts

    690

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    MAN, last time I checked for Dark Depths was like $4 not too long ago, just checked again 'cause I was thinking of trying it and almost fell over! DAMN YOU'S all!

    Well, gl hf with that combo ;P

  2. #102
    I like Tacos.
    dahcmai's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2006
    Location

    Traverse City, MI
    Posts

    2,202

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    Star City Results are up if you search it out. Here's the one that was played there.


    Artifacts
    3 Crucible Of Worlds

    Creatures
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Vampire Hexmage

    Instants
    3 Ghastly Demise

    Sorceries
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Grim Discovery
    4 Living Wish
    4 Sinkhole
    4 Smallpox

    Basic Lands
    2 Swamp

    Lands
    4 Bayou
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Marsh Flats
    1 Polluted Delta
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland

    Legendary Lands
    4 Urborg, Tomb Of Yawgmoth

    Legendary Snow Lands
    3 Dark Depths

    Sideboard:
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Tombstalker
    1 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Ravenous Trap
    1 Maze Of Ith
    1 Treetop Village
    1 Wasteland
    1 The Tabernacle At Pendrell Vale
    1 Dark Depths

  3. #103
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    7,533

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    So the deck used a LD-heavy route? Definitely interesting, especially the combo between Grim Discovery and Smallpox.

    But which match-ups require 4 Bobs? Control?

  4. #104

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    I gave that deck a quick whirl for a few games, and was not impressed. How did this pile win anything at the Legacy event?

    First of all the mana base has issues. I can't believe that 4 Urborg is right, let alone how the deck functions (or ceases to) if one of them doesn't show up. I'd think something could be done such that the deck functions better both with and without the card. I had to mull every other game simply because the deck gave me an unplayable hand.

    Bloodghast has very little practical application in this deck. Sure you can discard one to SmallPox and then play a land to get it back. Sure you can sac it to recast Therapy. So what? It's still a 2/1 that can't block, and you don't exactly have a clock to go with it.

    The deck has no gas. Your opening hand and the next 4 or so cards will likely decide 70% of your games.

    4 Therapy is weak. You have a grand total of 4 cards in the entire deck that let you flash it back.

    Crucible, largely, does nothing if you don't have Wasteland.

    Very rarely did I ever actually draw into the combo, which is doubly painful given the deck has absolutely no card draw. Sure you can Living Wish for a piece, but you're still only running 6 cards that you *need* to draw to beat anything that isn't terrible.

    The deck's mana curve is atrocious. Most games would just bottleneck at the 2cc slot.

    LD is passe. This deck does not use LD to gain tempo. It uses LD with the attempt to completely mana screw the opponent, but if that doesn't work you may as well concede.

    Grim Discovery, while looking OK on paper, isn't that good. It's a shame that most of the lands just aren't worth returning, not to mention you already have Crucible, and for yet another 2cc slot this could be something that actually fuels the combo instead of sitting dead in your hand because you are missing a combo piece.

    I really just don't get it.
    Suddenly, Fluffy realized she wasn't quite like the other bunnies anymore.

    -Team R&D-
    -noitcelfeR maeT-

  5. #105
    Come to the dark side! We've got cookies.
    Dr.AgOn's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2007
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    60

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    I agree.

    I think we should turn away from green and go UB for Brainstorm and Force. We could take the Dreadstill shell and either fit Hexmage in instead of the Dreadnought or play both Hexmage and nought, although the nought dies to really anything in Legacy.

    Living Wish is only good with Dark Ritual, otherwise you have to wait a full turn to play the combo piece. Besides, it needs a wishboard which might hinder some MUs.
    I want a banana this big!

  6. #106
    The Sources Headache, your gunna need more than a tylenol.
    Shanghi Knights's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2009
    Posts

    179

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    the deck that top 8ed i don't understand why they used 4 tomb of yawgmoth? are they that concerned they won't be able to produce the 2 black for hexmage? swap some fetches for duals? i almost think ritual would work just as well in its place.
    "I realize none of you like me. I accept it. But like all dark people, I'm rejoicing on your pain! Muwhahaha! "

  7. #107

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghi Knights View Post
    the deck that top 8ed i don't understand why they used 4 tomb of yawgmoth? are they that concerned they won't be able to produce the 2 black for hexmage? swap some fetches for duals? i almost think ritual would work just as well in its place.
    2 Urborg and Crucible means unlimited Bloodghast recurrsion.

  8. #108
    The Sources Headache, your gunna need more than a tylenol.
    Shanghi Knights's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2009
    Posts

    179

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    forgot those were even in there, but makes sense.
    "I realize none of you like me. I accept it. But like all dark people, I'm rejoicing on your pain! Muwhahaha! "

  9. #109
    ..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Humphrey's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2008
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    730

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    u shouldnt test on mws, due to the messed up shuffle engine
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

  10. #110
    I like Tacos.
    dahcmai's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2006
    Location

    Traverse City, MI
    Posts

    2,202

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    I'm trying a version out this saturday and I'll let you know how it goes. I'm using Intuition as a search and Loam for a recursion engine with Raven's Crime and Tranquil Thickets. Odd, but hey it's unexplored territory anyway.

    I actually like the Bloodghast in there. Makes me want to play the thing in Survival so I can dum 4 in the yard and start having fun. Until then, I'll settle for Intuitioning 4 up and dumping a couple off. It is a perfect Cabal Therapy target that doesn't hurt you a bit.

  11. #111
    Colonizer of Dreams

    Join Date

    Aug 2009
    Posts

    203

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    I actually like the Bloodghast in there. Makes me want to play the thing in Survival so I can dum 4 in the yard and start having fun. Until then, I'll settle for Intuitioning 4 up and dumping a couple off. It is a perfect Cabal Therapy target that doesn't hurt you a bit.
    Wants to make me test Bloodghast with Dryad Arbor in a Survival Build. You can just smash the Bloodghast into the Graveyard and search with the fourth Bloodghast a Dryad Arbor to get em all into play at once. But well thats not the topic of this thread.

  12. #112

  13. #113

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    Maybe smth. like this list would be appropriate ?? :

    Maindeck:

    1 x Crucible of Worlds
    3 x Sensei's Divining Top

    4 x Duress
    4 x Thoughtseize
    3 x Tombstalker
    4 x Vampire Hexmage

    4 x Brainstorm
    4 x Counterbalance
    4 x Daze
    4 x Force of Will
    4 x Stifle

    1 x Academy Ruins
    3 x Tropical Island
    3 x Dark Depths
    1 x Island
    4 x Polluted Delta
    2 x Flooded Strand
    2 x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 x Volrath's Stronghold
    4 x Underground Sea

    Sideboard:

    2 x Engineered Explosives
    4 x Pithing Needle
    4 x Tormod's Crypt
    2 x Trickbind
    3 x Krosan Grip

  14. #114
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    7,533

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    I've never heard of the Thopter Foundry/Sword of the Meek combo, but it seems to be a huge kick into the nuts for aggro:

    Pay , make a 1/1 flyer, gain 1 life, repeat? The Foundry even pitches to FoW!

  15. #115

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovejess2 View Post
    I like the Gifts deck a lot. Perhaps we have finally found the way to make this deck work in legacy.

  16. #116

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    As do I.

    Cards he had on the deck tech table as far as I could make out or infer. (Some may be part of the sideboard which he largely talks about and some sb cards are obviously missing including the Goyfs/Damnations he talks about:

    Stuff
    4x Thopter Foundry
    4x Sword of the Meek
    3x Muddle the mixture
    2x Vampire Hexmage
    3x Gifts Ungiven
    3x Ponder
    1x Nature's Spiral
    4x Duress
    1x Thoughtseize
    3x Engineered Explosives
    2x Thirst for Knowledge
    1x Grim Discovery
    1x Life from the Loam
    1x Academy Ruins
    4x Chrome Mox
    3x Muddle the Mixture

    Land:
    1x Overgrown Tomb
    4x Misty Rainforest
    1x Island
    1x Snow Covered Island
    1x Forest
    2x Watery Grave
    1x Swamp
    1x Black artifact land whose name escapes me
    2x Sunken Ruins
    1x Breeding Pool
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    1x Urborg Tomb of Yawgmoth

    Obviously we could just replace some cards for their upgraded legacy versions, Regrowths and original duals etc but I am not sure this is the best way to go. Force of Will is the usual strong contender for auto include although at the minute we have a questionable number of blue pitchers and this may cause some number changes and new inclusions. (Such as a 4th gifts or muddle/ brainstorms and ponder). Also with the life from the loam/grim discovery/regrowth Mox Diamonds may be better than the Chromes.

    Early thoughts but I fancy giving it a go.

  17. #117
    Member
    1maarten1's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2008
    Location

    Netherlands
    Posts

    209

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    I saw someone play the deck at a local tournament today, he played black blue version. A lot of mana denial, wasteland, stifle. Duress/seize Lim dulls vault, worked pretty well. The artifact combo is also a nice addition i think.

  18. #118
    ..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Humphrey's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2008
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    730

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    Id add Painterservant combo
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

  19. #119

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    Looking at the recent Extended results, I've been wondering if it would be possible to attack this combo from a more Dreadstill-ish angle. Dreadnought isn't too hot right now because there's a million billion Qasali Pridemages and Krosan Grips floating around the format, but this combo dodges those particular cards while still conforming to the same general "drop a fucking HUGE GUY using a two-card combination" formula. Plus, it takes up about the same amount of space in the main.

    Here's a "proof of concept" list:

    // Lands
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Scalding Tarn
    4 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    5 Island
    3 Wasteland
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Tolaria West

    4 Vampire Hexmage
    2 Trinket Mage

    4 Brainstorm
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Standstill

    4 Stifle
    3 Spell Snare
    3 Counterbalance
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will

    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Expedition Map
    1 Crucible of Worlds

    Map is probably the oddest inclusion, but it allows you to find Dark Depths using Trinket Mage, which gives you another tutor angle in addition to Tolaria West and the draw and card filtration packages. That, in turn, lets you run a very small number of Depths main, which saves you from having to run shitty lands like Urborg to make up for all of the colorless or non-mana you're making. I think the biggest thing this list is missing is a set of Factories to go with the Crucible, but I wanted to do three colors to gain access to Firespout as an anti-aggro weapon.

    Thoughts? Living Wish seems to be the in-vogue tutor, but I'm sure there's other ways to address the issue that give the deck a bit more power.

  20. #120

    Re: Vampire Hexmaster + dark depths

    1 Dark Depths is an incredible failure, especially considering you have virtually no possible way to win outside of the combo excepting Trinket Mage beatdown.
    Suddenly, Fluffy realized she wasn't quite like the other bunnies anymore.

    -Team R&D-
    -noitcelfeR maeT-

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)