Page 27 of 197 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

  1. #521

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    If we play all flyers for our win conditions, (Moltensteel, Covetous Dragon), then Vow of Lightning is the perfect answer to opposing creatures and a flexible one at that. Likewise, if we play Shivan Wumpus, then Chaos Warp could work with that.

    This is actually my current and all time favorite list.

    This build needs very little red mana, so I've cut a mountain and am testing a couple of Crystal Vein to see how it fares. It's actually been fairly useful playing with tons of land.

    5 Mountain
    4 Great Furnace
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Crystal Vein

    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Seething Song

    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    3 Phyrexian Revoker

    3 Red Creature Flex Slot (Flametoungue Kavu, Shivan Wumpus, Rosheen Meanderer etc.)
    3 Moltensteel Dragon
    4 Covetous Dragon

    The deck plays 22 artifacts to support Covetous Dragon, and it plays 23 cards that it can pitch to Chrome Mox. It currently plays 17 sources of red mana (13 permanent sources of red mana), which seems to be enough given that none of the decks creatures need double red, however, you can easily cut a Crystal Vein to up the Mountain count if you find it neccessary.

    It's a huge relief not to have to support any cards that require double red mana to cast. And it's especially relieving to not have to build the deck around hellbent, or suffering card disadvantage at the hand of Gathan Raiders.

    It's as consistent a list of Dragon Stompy as any I've ever used so I think it's well worth your time to try out.
    As you can see, the list is still being tweaked so if you can help with that, that would be great.
    Last edited by Clark Kant; 06-13-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Updated my list with the current test build. The deck plays really well.

  2. #522
    Lets be freaks...
    NecroYawgmoth's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2007
    Location

    Mettmann
    Posts

    339

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    I dislike the Vow... why we need this? Lightning Talons exist, and we don't play it either... I even grants more power... which is better with First Strike. I also don't like the "pseudo" can't attack move, when you gave them a stronger blocker for that.

    However, I like Clarks list... Flex Slots should be Revokers IMO... also I'd cut maybe 1 Moltensteel +1 whatever card to make room for 2 Slogger. YES, they look good with Song, and without Hellbent =P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells
    :16: - (See, now Erratic Explosion's a deck)
    Legendary Creature - Horror
    Haste, Hexproof, Double Strike, Trample
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells is indestructible.
    Permanents you control can't be sacrificed or copied.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

  3. #523
    Brazilians go nuts!
    Charlatan's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2009
    Posts

    40

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    I've been watching scg legacy tournament every weekend, ans I'm surprised that I don't see any Dragon Stompy blowing all this freaking non-basic land decks.

    Why doesn't this happen? I see the field as a great oppurtunity for the DS' rising.

    Are people waiting for a guy with balls to take a good place?

    Or the deck still some good tweaks?
    Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.
    Black Knight

  4. #524

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    There's no question about it. Dragon Stompy has one of if not the most potent disruption package of any deck in the format.

    However, it has an achelle's heel when it comes to it's threats, due to their inconsistency mainly.

    Between multiple cards that require double RR to play, multiple creature that require hellbent to be good, having to discard multiple cards to Chrome Mox, and Gathan Raiders, and similar factors, the deck is inconsistent as hell.

    The build I posted above was designed specifically to address these weaknesses. And it seems to do that quite well.

  5. #525
    Lets be freaks...
    NecroYawgmoth's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2007
    Location

    Mettmann
    Posts

    339

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    It's strange that I am asking this, but...

    What was the reason to choose Covetous over Slogger??? the evasion? or the 4R mana cost? Or something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells
    :16: - (See, now Erratic Explosion's a deck)
    Legendary Creature - Horror
    Haste, Hexproof, Double Strike, Trample
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells is indestructible.
    Permanents you control can't be sacrificed or copied.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

  6. #526
    Non-basic lands are Mountains
    ThoSha's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2011
    Posts

    173

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    The jitte seems subpar in this list tough, because of the lack of threat density(only 16 critters). Maybe you could fill this slot up with FTKs or Chaos Warp if you like that combo with Shivan Wumpus.
    True strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me! -Kamahl, Pit Fighter

  7. #527

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    Shivan Wumpus has been mediocre. Trying a 2/2 split between Lord of Shatterskull and Arc Slogger in the flexslot. Covetous Dragon has been awesome, the manacost, evasion and three turn clock are all perfect. Moltensteel has been fantastic usually but can occasionally make you too suicidal with a first turn Tomb.

  8. #528
    is selling his Underground Seas.
    Tacosnape's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2006
    Location

    Birmingham, AL
    Posts

    3,148

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    Incosistency isn't what's keeping Dragon Stompy out of contention lately. Being full of bad cards is what's keeping it out of contention. All the guys the deck once proudly ran have gradually gotten slower and weaker as time's gone on.

    The better guys right now, like it or not, are colorless. Wurmcoil Engine is singlehandedly better than every single creature in Dragon Stompy except possibly Magus of the Moon. Steel Hellkite's way better than Rakdos Pit Dragon. Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

  9. #529
    Non-basic lands are Mountains
    ThoSha's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2011
    Posts

    173

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Incosistency isn't what's keeping Dragon Stompy out of contention lately. Being full of bad cards is what's keeping it out of contention. All the guys the deck once proudly ran have gradually gotten slower and weaker as time's gone on.

    The better guys right now, like it or not, are colorless. Wurmcoil Engine is singlehandedly better than every single creature in Dragon Stompy except possibly Magus of the Moon. Steel Hellkite's way better than Rakdos Pit Dragon. Etc.
    So would you run a moon mud over regular DS then?
    True strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me! -Kamahl, Pit Fighter

  10. #530
    Lets be freaks...
    NecroYawgmoth's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2007
    Location

    Mettmann
    Posts

    339

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Incosistency isn't what's keeping Dragon Stompy out of contention lately. Being full of bad cards is what's keeping it out of contention. All the guys the deck once proudly ran have gradually gotten slower and weaker as time's gone on.
    True story... All our Screw-Creatures are kinda small... and if we try to play more Equipment to fix this, we end up being outtempoed. We need to wait for Baneslayer Dragons :D

    Moon MUD seems kinda cool, but IF this is the way to go, why no MUD lists have tested Moons, or we have never seen a Moon-MUD list somehwere? IMO the big thing is that Moon slows our Sol-Lands which could be bad in a MUD-shell.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    The better guys right now, like it or not, are colorless. Wurmcoil Engine is singlehandedly better than every single creature in Dragon Stompy except possibly Magus of the Moon. Steel Hellkite's way better than Rakdos Pit Dragon. Etc.
    no love for Awesome Revoker, here? :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells
    :16: - (See, now Erratic Explosion's a deck)
    Legendary Creature - Horror
    Haste, Hexproof, Double Strike, Trample
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells is indestructible.
    Permanents you control can't be sacrificed or copied.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

  11. #531
    is selling his Underground Seas.
    Tacosnape's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2006
    Location

    Birmingham, AL
    Posts

    3,148

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoSha View Post
    So would you run a moon mud over regular DS then?
    Yes. And I'd run quad Goblin Welder split somehow between main and board. He might be Misstep fodder and not play nice with Chalice, but if he sticks, he eats counters and Hymns for breakfast.

    Quote Originally Posted by NecroYawgmoth View Post
    no love for Awesome Revoker, here? :(
    Revoker doesn't really count towards my point, given that any deck packing an Ancient Tomb is probably going to give him a look. That said, he doesn't imprint on a Chrome Mox, and he is an artifact guy to work with Metalworker, Mox Opal, etc. So yeah. I'd probably say there's yet another reason to go artifact.

    In fact, there's pretty much only one downside to going MUD, period, which is that now Moon MUD can be hated out. Dragon Stompy can't.

    Then again, it really doesn't need to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

  12. #532
    Legendary sword
    Masamune's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2010
    Location

    Brazil
    Posts

    124

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
    I've been watching scg legacy tournament every weekend, ans I'm surprised that I don't see any Dragon Stompy blowing all this freaking non-basic land decks.

    Why doesn't this happen? I see the field as a great oppurtunity for the DS' rising.

    Are people waiting for a guy with balls to take a good place?

    Or the deck still some good tweaks?
    Too many fearful people to play with it LOL

  13. #533
    Member
    ForlornEgoist's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2009
    Location

    MN, USA
    Posts

    273

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    Too many fearful people to play with it LOL
    Just as well. I would most likely cease to play this deck once it became too conformist.

    Has anyone had any success with Batterskull? I've been an adamant support for SoBaM but a person in my meta, after having seen me have so much fun with DS, decided to purchase and assemble his own DS (another DS into the fold). Albeit his build is kinda akward (3 RAkroma, 4 Koth, 3 Mountain Yeti o.O) but when I was playtesting his build I found the Batterskull to be on par with SoBaM. I'm considering testing it in my build but I've had limited testing. An issue I ran into with his was build (well, firstly those bloody Koths which an observing control player insisted DS needs it if it wants to have a chance in Legacy LOL) was that Seething Song seemed like it became much more necessary for the deck. Albeit I'm running 3 Slogger MD currently but I still don't rely heavily on Song to play threats whereas sometimes Batterskull would eat up entire turns just switching equips. Of course, When I'm sitting on a 10/10 Vigilance/Lifelink Shatterskull I guess thats fine.

    I also had some rather significant playtesting with Mountain Yeti. Albeit you would need to run him in a deck feature 4-5 equipment to maximize his effectiveness but most builds are already switching to a higher equipment count and pro-white not only negates StP/PtE but also lets us compete against KotR which given the consistent popularity of decks like Bant/Rock is always relevant. I'm actually considering running 2-3 in my build (at least for playtesting).

    Forlorn Egoist
    How to play Belcher:
    Step 1) Draw 7 cards.
    Step 2) Throw said 7 cards onto the table while making a "BLAH!" sound.
    Step 3) Hold up hands quizically and ask: "Do I win?"

    Decks
    Enchantress
    Dragon Stompy
    Rock
    UG Madness/Thresh (Pauper)

  14. #534

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    I updated my list above (post 521) with my current build. The primary change I made was replacing the Jitte with Phyrexian Revokers.

    I don't have much else to add other than that the deck has been performing very well, and a lot more consistently than any variation of Dragon Stompy I've used before.

    The deck is still geared towards matchups that play lots of duals and fetches, but it absolutely decimates those decks, and actually does fairly well against monocolored decks once you board out the Moon effects for Flametoungue Kavus and other red cards.

    Has anyone tried Boiling Seas against Merfolk and other blue centric decks? It's one of the cards I'm trying in the board against that matchup.

    Lastly, how often do you think Chaos Warp will backfire on us in a significant way? If it's less than 10% then I think the deck could definately benefit from an instant speed Vindicate effect.

  15. #535

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    I've been playing around with this list:

    Creatures (22):
    Rakdos Pit Dragon x4
    Gathan Raiders x4
    Magus of the Moon x4
    Simian Spirit Guide x4
    Phyrexian Revoker x4
    Lodestone Golem x2

    Spells (20):
    Chrome Mox x4
    Blood Moon x4
    Chalice of the Void x4
    Trinisphere x4
    Umezawa's Jitte x2
    Sword of Body and Mind x2

    Land (18):
    Mountain x10
    Ancient Tomb x4
    City of Traitors x4

    For the side, I'm thinking of Pyrokinesis, and REBs for sure, but I'm not sure of what else. I have heard of Volcanic Fallout against things like Fish, and possibly Null Rod.

  16. #536
    Salt of the earth

    Join Date

    May 2009
    Location

    Canada
    Posts

    4,685

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    Don't hate me all at once, but what about Koth? I know he's not the bombiest card in the world, but not dying to Deed is pretty cool stuff. Essentially hasty Mountains put a kink in Landstills plans (well, anything Haste for that matter). He's also a finisher: you can actually ping Landstill to death if need be.

    Also, another bomb: Batterskull. As a 1-of, it seems alright in this deck.

    Any thoughts?

    -Matt

  17. #537

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Don't hate me all at once, but what about Koth? I know he's not the bombiest card in the world, but not dying to Deed is pretty cool stuff. Essentially hasty Mountains put a kink in Landstills plans (well, anything Haste for that matter). He's also a finisher: you can actually ping Landstill to death if need be.

    Also, another bomb: Batterskull. As a 1-of, it seems alright in this deck.

    Any thoughts?

    -Matt
    I like the idea of Batterskull, but not being able to cheat it in does hurt and 5 CMC is actually a lot. I have considered trying Koth, as the Lodestones and Revokers have made having Red sources harder for Chrome Mox, however, Koth is very susceptible to creatures and D-Stompy has issues with them as well. I like Lodestone for additional taxing abilities, but when I ran 4 and lacked SOBAM it conflicted a bit with other cards. I may try Koth as a 2-of over Lodestone.

    SOBAM is also amazing in the minimal testing I've had with it, but Merfolk is a poor matchup for this deck IMO, and it does solve it well.

  18. #538
    Member
    ForlornEgoist's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2009
    Location

    MN, USA
    Posts

    273

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Don't hate me all at once, but what about Koth? I know he's not the bombiest card in the world, but not dying to Deed is pretty cool stuff. Essentially hasty Mountains put a kink in Landstills plans (well, anything Haste for that matter). He's also a finisher: you can actually ping Landstill to death if need be.

    Also, another bomb: Batterskull. As a 1-of, it seems alright in this deck.

    Any thoughts?

    -Matt
    Koth isn't a horrible card but IMO he is definitely more of a meta card. In metas featuring a variety of midrange-control decks such as Rock/Landstill/Countertop etc. Koth is an excellent card to use. However if your meta is similar to mine where you see much in the way of aggro (esp. Zoo and tribal) he can become a liability as he himself can't bring you into a par board position nor is he adequately able to deal with creatures aside from the his Emblem which is essentially an auto-win against creature-based strategies. At the very least I've evolved beyond my "Koth does nothing for the deck," mentality but he is definitely a card which I think A) should be maxed out at 3 and B) used as a meta card.

    As for Batterskull yes 5cc is a hefty sum to pay but the buffs provided by it can easily justify a replacement in the Slogger slot. Slogger to most people (including myself) is way to remove creatures while still having an attacker. Batterskull fulfills the same role only it has the added bonuses of recovering life (which is especially relevant now that the average build is running 2-3 Moltensteel) as well as still permissing a combat step without requiring us to leave open mana for Shocking.

    Currently I'm playtesting 2 Batterskull for 2 Slogger in my list (replacing the last Slogger with either 1 RAkroma or the 4th Moon/3sphere).

    Forlorn Egoist
    How to play Belcher:
    Step 1) Draw 7 cards.
    Step 2) Throw said 7 cards onto the table while making a "BLAH!" sound.
    Step 3) Hold up hands quizically and ask: "Do I win?"

    Decks
    Enchantress
    Dragon Stompy
    Rock
    UG Madness/Thresh (Pauper)

  19. #539

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Don't hate me all at once, but what about Koth? I know he's not the bombiest card in the world, but not dying to Deed is pretty cool stuff. Essentially hasty Mountains put a kink in Landstills plans (well, anything Haste for that matter). He's also a finisher: you can actually ping Landstill to death if need be.
    Koth seems like a great option to fill my Red Flex Slot in Post 521. I'll try him out. You can even make use of his second ability in order to pump up Moltensteel.

  20. #540
    Legendary sword
    Masamune's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2010
    Location

    Brazil
    Posts

    124

    Re: Dragon Stompy

    ForlornEgoist please share with us your results with Batterskull :)
    I realize that artifact is nice but a little slow

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)