Page 277 of 332 FirstFirst ... 177227267273274275276277278279280281287327 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,540 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL
    Last edited by Asthereal; 11-11-2021 at 04:46 AM.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Feb 2014

Re: 4 Card Blind

So City is ok not to be banned but is played in >90% decks :/

I play classic city + 3 dudes, with voltaic servant as a "fast" second overseer:
    6. dte: City of traitors, voltaic servant, steel overseer, Hangarback walker
    For MU analysis, I'll call them VS, SO and HW.

1. Asthereal (TO): City of Traitors, Lupine Prototype, Steel Overseer, Steel Overseer
    6-0, servant is a better overseer number 2 and walker is a real kill.

2. alphastryk: City of Traitors, Lupine Prototype, Lupine Prototype, Lupine Prototype
    6-0.
    with me OTD:
    T1 LP
    T1 SO
    T2 LP, attack (d15)
    T2 VS, pump, untap SO.
    T3 Lp n3, attack with 2 LP (d5), EoT pump (VS 3/5, SO 3/3)
    T3 HW, pump (HW 2/2, SO 4/4, VS 4/6)
    T4 if you attack, I block all and pump. 2 LP die, as well as SO and HW, so we end up with a 5/7 vigilance and three flyers vs a 5/5.
    OTP it is easier for me.

3. Wrath of Pie: Svyelunite Temple, City of Traitors, Hangarback Walker, Sower of Temptation
    That is complicated.... I guess I start with OS and VS, and keep HW for later.
    Will wait on this one.
    12+?

4. PJim: City of Traitors, Steel Overseer, Hangarback Walker, Phyrexian Revoker
    6-0. You can name whatever you prefer, I will untap the other one twice more.
    18+?

5. GoblinSmashmaster: City of Traitors, Lupine Prototype, Lupine Prototype, Lupine Prototype
    6-0
    24+?

7. FTW: City of Traitors, Simian Spirit Guide, Magus of the Moon, Fury
    3-3
    27+?

8. RoosterCocoa: City of Traitors, Simian Spirit Guide, Magus of the Moon, Lupine Prototype
    3-3
    30+?

9. maxx!: City of Traitors, Simian Spirit Guide, Magus of the Moon, Lupine Prototype
    3-3
    33+?

10. silkster: City of Traitors, Steel Overseer, Steel Overseer, Walking Ballista
    3-3 I think, but quite unclear. I am sure you win when you are OTP.
    OTD, T1 seer T2 ballista and you win.
    OTP, I start OS. If you don't kill it now I win. So you play WB and kill it. Then, HW, you play SO. I play VS, you play SO n2 and pump (2*2/2). I pump HW twice (3/3). You pump twice (4/4s). I pump HW twice (5/5). You pump twice (2*6/6s). I pump HW twice (7/7). You pump twice (2*8/8s). From there Hangarback should win?? quite unclear. You attacking earlier is not so useful I think.
    36+?

11. Reeplcheep: Swamp, Champion of the Perished, Gravecrawler, Cabal Therapist
    6-0. At best you discard me on your T2. But CT should work against 3* lupin decks.
    So you OTP, me OTD:
    T1 CT
    T1 SO
    CT: if you chose VS, I will play HW, tap SO, and both will be bigger than champion. If you chose HW, 2 big creatures too.
    42+?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Which will get it banned in Round 1. Seems fine for a Bannathon.

I'm not surprised it's all City.dec, but I am surprised so many players went for Overseer/Lupine. My other deck would have 6-0d this field. I thought it would be hated out more, so I went with Magus instead.

I found the suboptimal Magus deck. Lupine is much better OTD.
    Last edited by FTW; 11-10-2021 at 02:16 PM.

Sep 2011

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP Magus wins. OTD you get 1 Overseer first, which eventually races 2/2 Magus. WL 3-3
    2. alphastryk: OTP Magus wins. OTD you get 1 Lupine, which can't attack or block. WW 6-0
    3. Wrath of Pie: OTP Magus slows you down but you can still make 1/1 Hangarback and outgrow me. OTD you also get 1/1 Hangarback. LL 0-6
    4. PJim: OTP Magus wins. OTD you get Hangarback first. WL 3-3
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP Magus wins. OTD you get 1 Lupine, which can't attack or block. WW 6-0
    6. dte: OTP Magus wins. OTD you get Hangarback first. WL 3-3
    8. RoosterCocoa: OTP I get Magus. You can play Lupine, but it can't attack or block. OTD you get Magus, stopping mine. I can Fury it, but that turns on Lupine :|. WL 3-3
    9. maxx!: Same as Rooster. WL 3-3
    10. silkster: OTP Magus wins. OTD you get 1 Overseer first. WL 3-3
    11. Reeplcheep: Magus is outclassed by basic.dec. My best plan is to wait for you to get Champion + Gravecrawler in play, then Fury both. But you can play around this by leading with Cabal Therapist+Gravecrawler and shredding my hand before exposing Champion. LL 0-6

30 points (10 wins, 10 loss)

I found the pre-MH2 Delver deck (50-50 against the field). If I had played a better card instead of Fury (unused removal), that's a lot more wins OTD.
    Last edited by FTW; 11-10-2021 at 02:17 PM.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Which will get it banned in Round 1. Seems fine for a Bannathon.
    City will still be around in R2, it I'll just be called tomb.

Sep 2011

City will still be around in R2, it I'll just be called tomb.
    Which will get banned next. The best City threats will get banned each round too, so each City replacement comes with more drawbacks and less payoff, making the non-City decks more appealing each time.

Although we all played very similar decks, making the format look stale, there are some powerful decks that would have scored higher (or at least very well) that no one played at all.

maxx!: City of Traitors, Simian Spirit Guide, Magus of the Moon, Lupine Prototype

1. Asthereal (TO): City of Traitors, Lupine Prototype, Steel Overseer, Steel Overseer
    OTP Magus wins. OTD Overseer is good enough. 3-3

2. alphastryk: City of Traitors, Lupine Prototype, Lupine Prototype, Lupine Prototype
    Magus wins this one going both ways. 6-0

3. Wrath of Pie: Svyelunite Temple, City of Traitors, Hangarback Walker, Sower of Temptation
    This is tricky. OTP I think I should lead with Lupine and let you play a 1/1 Walker on your turn. I play Magus and start attacking with Lupine. I don't think you win that race, but I'll work through it.
    T1 Lupine / Walker
    T2 Magus, attack (20v15) / Temple, pass
    T3 Lupine attacks (20v10), EOT add counter (2/2 HW) / pass
    T3 Lupine attacks (20v5), EOT add counter (3/3 HW) / pass
    T4 Lupine attacks, block, add counter (4/4 HW), get 4 1/1 tokens / Attack with 3 tokens (17v5)
    T5 Lupine attacks, block / Attack with 2 tokens (15v5)
    T5 Lupine attacks, block / Attack with 1 token (14v5)
    T6 Lupine attacks, block
    T7 Lupine attacks (14v0)
    OTD is way worse. You can play Temple first, and then threaten Sower if I play Lupine. That means I have to lead with Magus, and Walker can definitely race that. 3-3

I really should have had a better plan against Overseer. Magus wins on the play, but I don't think I can beat Overseer. 3-3

5. GoblinSmashmaster: City of Traitors, Lupine Prototype, Lupine Prototype, Lupine Prototype
    Same as alpha. 6-0

Overseer again. 3-3

Fury is interesting, but I think it's impossible to win if you cast it since you'll lose your only threat. Whoever goes first plays Magus. I can't kill yours so I lose OTD, and you can kill mine but it prevents you from playing a threat, and allows me to play Lupine with an empty hand. 3-3

8. RoosterCocoa: City of Traitors, Simian Spirit Guide, Magus of the Moon, Lupine Prototype
    Nice deck. First Magus wins it. 3-3

9. maxx!: City of Traitors, Simian Spirit Guide, Magus of the Moon, Lupine Prototype
    This is me :]

10. silkster: City of Traitors, Steel Overseer, Steel Overseer, Walking Ballista
    Overseer again. 3-3

A basic land! Maybe I can race your zombies. OTD you can lead with Therapist, I play Lupine, and then you can force SSG out of my hand to strand Magus, leaving Lupine useless while you kill me with a single other creature. If instead I play Magus, you discard my Lupine, and then Gravecrawler + CotP easily beat Magus. OTP is much better for me, since I play Lupine, then on my second turn I play Magus, and Therapist can't hit my hand.
    T1 Lupine / CotP
    T2 Magus, attack (20v15) / Gravecrawler (2/2 CotP)
    T3 Both attack (all blocks are bad, 20v8) / Therapist, attack with Gravecrawler and CotP (16v8)
    T4 Both attack, I think blocking with Therapist is bad here too (16v1) / Therapist sacs Gravecrawler, replay it (3/3 CotP), can't attack
    T5 Attack with Lupine, chump with Therapist / Attack with Gravecrawler (14v1)
    T6 Both attack, only 1 blocker
    There might be a better line for attacking and blocking but I don't see it. The clock from Lupine is fast enough that I never really have to block Gravecrawler and can just try to race instead, so your only method of growing CotP beyond 2/2 is with Therapist tricks, and you have to start blocking before it gets big enough to trade. 3-3

3+6+3+3+6+3+3+3+3+3 = 36

Not surprised to see a lot of City, but a bit surprised to not really see anything else. That's fine though. I'd rather see the bans play out naturally than preemptively.

OTP you can't beat turn 1 Magus of the Moon. OTD I can't beat one of your creatures with just Magus or two with Magus and Prototype. WL

I get Magus into play before you can empty your hand, and never play my Prototype so yours can't attack or block. WW

OTP I play Prototype, you play Hangarback, then I play Magus on my turn 2 and attack you to 15. On my turn 3 I attack you to 10 and Hangarback becomes a 2/2. On my turn 4 I attack you to 5 and Hangarback becomes a 3/3. On my turn 5 Hangarback becomes a 4/4 and chump blocks Prototype, but I also attack with Magus so you go to 3 and get 4 thopter tokens. However, that is not enough to kill me before you run out of chump blockers, so I win. OTD it goes the same, but Hangarback has an extra +1/+1 counter when it blocks Prototype so they trade and you beat me down with thopters. WL

OTP you never play anything, OTD I can't beat one of your creatures with just Magus or two with Magus and Prototype. WL

Same as alphastryk. WW

OTP you never play anything, OTD I can't beat one of your creatures with just Magus or two with Magus and Prototype. WL

OTP I play Magus on turn 1. You can Fury it, but then I play Prototype and win with that since I have no cards in hand. OTD I can't beat your turn 1 Magus since you keep Fury in hand. WL

Whoever gets Magus first wins. WL

OTP I play Prototype on turn 1. I will have my hand empty before your can Therapist me, so you play Champion of the Perished. On turn 2 I play Magus and attack with Prototype, bringing you to 15. On your turn you play Gravecrawler, making Champion a 2/2, but don't attack since I will trade Magus for Champion, and that isn't favorable for you. On my turn I attack you to 10. On your turn you play Cabal Therapist, and attack with Champion and Gravecrawler. I let it through and go to 16. On my turn I attack with both creatures and you chump block my Prototype with Therapist, bringing you to 8. You attack me down to 12, then I attack back and take you to 1. You then have to keep Champion back to block, but can't win the race with just Gravecrawler attacking. If you try to be more defensive, I just make sure to never kill Gravecrawler so you never get enough counters on Champion to double block and trade with Prototype.
    OTD you play Therapist on turn 1. If I play Magus on my turn, you take Prototype with Therapist and beat Magus with a 2/2 Champion and Gravecrawler. If I play Prototype, you take Simian Spirit Guide and strand Magus in my hand, so Prototype can't do anything. WL

12W 0D 8L = 36

The other deck I was looking at this week was Mayor of Avabruck, City of Traitors, Elvish Spirit Guide, and Hangarback Walker. I'm not really sure if that would have been an improvement, since it does better against Magus of the Moon and can get draws against Overseers and Hangarbacks, but it loses badly to removal and is a bit slow.

1. Asthereal (TO): City of Traitors, Lupine Prototype, Steel Overseer, Steel Overseer WW - I force you to cast an Overseer before I cast Sower, which I steal and appreciate.
    2. alphastryk: City of Traitors, Lupine Prototype, Lupine Prototype, Lupine Prototype WW
    4. PJim: City of Traitors, Steel Overseer, Hangarback Walker, Phyrexian Revoker LL - Revoker on Walker makes it awkward for me (I never get to steal Overseer), and Sower is not fast enough to outrace.
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: City of Traitors, Lupine Prototype, Lupine Prototype, Lupine Prototype WW
    6. dte: City of traitors, voltaic servant, steel overseer, Hangarback walker WW - My t2 Hangarback demands you answer, and Voltaic Servant doesn't do it by itself, which means I steal one of Overseer/Walker. You prefer I steal Walker, so you cast that. If my math is right, I get to 4/4 Hangarbacks before you can force the single-block on both Servant and Overseer, which means that eventually I win. (Sower's flying was relevant!)
    7. FTW: City of Traitors, Simian Spirit Guide, Magus of the Moon, Fury WW - Luckily, I accidentally teched around Magus of the Moon by playing two land.
    8. RoosterCocoa: City of Traitors, Simian Spirit Guide, Magus of the Moon, Lupine Prototype WL - Unfortunately, I did not tech against fast Prototype.
    9. maxx!: City of Traitors, Simian Spirit Guide, Magus of the Moon, Lupine Prototype WL
    10. silkster: City of Traitors, Steel Overseer, Steel Overseer, Walking Ballista LL - Sower hates Walking Ballista.
    11. Reeplcheep: Swamp, Champion of the Perished, Gravecrawler, Cabal Therapist WD - Fast Cabal Therapist on the play is a bad plan, because I can steal it with Sower, and then Hangarback holds off Champion while I beat down with Sower and Therapist. (You can try to hold back against Sower, but it makes it difficult for you to win against Hangarback.) On the draw it works better because Therapist can block any attempts from Hangarback Walker, so Gravecrawler keeps dying.

13w1d = 40 points

Ancient Tomb might have been marginally better (the drawback of Traitors is relevant, because it means I can't cast t1 Hangarback if I want to ever cast Sower) but it turned out to not be relevant. On the other hand, Sower was good because as expected the removal was mostly nonexistent.
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 11-14-2021 at 05:48 PM.

Me. silkster: City of Traitors, Steel Overseer, Steel Overseer, Walking Ballista

On the play, I can kill the Overseers before they get out of hand and outgrow the wolf. On the draw, I kill the first Overseer that you play, and then my Overseers grow faster. My quick scribbles says that you can hit for 5+6+7 if you play the Prototype first, or you can hit for 7+8 if you play the Overseer first, and then my Overseers grow out of control (or my 1 versus your 1). WW

My math says WL.

I think I win this. T1 Temple; T1 Overseer. T2 Sower, take Overseer; T2 Overseer. T3 Walker, activate HW, attack for 2; T3 Ballista, grow Ballista.
    Here I think I let you keep Sower for one more turn. T4 Make 4/4 Walker, 3/3 Seer, attack for 2 with Sower; T4 grow Ballista to 3/3, kill Sower. It's now 4/4 Walker at 20 hp against 4/4 Seer, 3/3 Seer, 1/1 Ballista and 16 hp.
    If you lead on Walker, then I kill it, giving you a 1/1, and then race it because you can't ever play Sower. WW

I think this just might be the combination that kills me even on the play. I might look harder at this later.

As above, WL.

Voltaic Servant is super cool. It's obviously great this round, but I wouldn't have had the guts to play it cause I thought one of my Overseers might eat removal. This is because I had no idea what was happening this round.
    My removal wins on the play. One tricky part about the when dte goes first is that the double activation needs to be end step, so I think swinging with two 6/6 Overseers might be good. You have a 7/7, I swing for 12. If you block, I either race you or wait until I can kill you in one hit so I don't give you Thopters. So you got to 8. Now do you make a 9/9? If you do, you'll have to block and go to 2, and then I win next turn. So no 9/9. Whether you make an 8/8 on your turn or on mine makes no difference. You make an 8/8 and attack for 1. I make 2*8/8. You make a 9/9. I make 2*10/10. You make a 10/10. I make 2*12/12. You make 11/11. I swing, killing both creatures and giving you 11. You hit for 9, then 7, then 7 and I die. I think. "Closer" than you had it, but closer doesn't matter. WL most likely.

Magus matchup is WL.

Different Magus matchup is still WL.

WL.

I shoot the Therapist and then outgrow the Champion. WW

36 it looks like.

It's been a crazy week. For the first time in a while, I actually went to start brainstorming early (last Wednesday), but the banlist wasn't set. So I figured I'd look harder on the weekend, and then we suddenly got a husky on Saturday morning, and it's been, well, crazy. I remembered last night, brainstormed about 5 reasonable decks and about 5 more terrible decks that I hope will shine in later rounds, and I submitted. Then I realized that I completely forgot about City of Traitors. My deck was awesome, except it lost to City + triple threat. I didn't feel like resubmitting, but then I realized that the City.dec just crushed everything else I was considering, so here we are. I almost completely misread the room. Also, I completely forgot about Lupine Prototype, despite the fact that we just discussed it for weeks before this started. I'm special.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post
    Not surprised to see a lot of City, but a bit surprised to not really see anything else. That's fine though. I'd rather see the bans play out naturally than preemptively.
    I'm just a little sad that we likely won't see too many bans this round.

I forgot about all the 2 drops while discussing bans. I thought City was going to power out 4 drops. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I wonder what this round would have looked like with Overseer and Prototype banned instead.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I forgot about all the 2 drops while discussing bans. I thought City was going to power out 4 drops. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I wonder what this round would have looked like with Overseer and Prototype banned instead.
    Well, it did power out one 4-drop at least.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I wonder the same, but mostly because that might be what we will get next week ;)

@WoP, you're right, you 6-0 me.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

The spreadsheet lives!
    Here it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by Reeplcheep; 11-15-2021 at 08:06 AM.

Feb 2014

Shouldn't you 1-4 WoP?
    T1 therapist. If WoP plays temple, you sac therapist and name hangarback. And then it is a starring contest, as OP cannot play Sower first. So WoP can play hangarback from T1 city, and sower will never be played. R play champion and attack (w19). WoP passes. Grave crawler, attack with champion (w17). HW becomes 2/2 end of turn. Pass. Attack with crawler. If blocked and pump walker to 3/3, R replay crawler, champion becomes 3/3. If not WoP drops to 15.
    Next turn WoP has to pass, being behind in the race vs more power and lower life. WoP will not have a window to attack when R cannot block with therapist, and win on the backswing. So gravecrawler attacks and dies and reassemble itself every turn, as a good zombie should.

Shouldn't you 1-4 WoP?
    T1 therapist. If WoP plays temple, you sac therapist and name hangarback. And then it is a starring contest, as OP cannot play Sower first. So WoP can play hangarback from T1 city, and sower will never be played. R play champion and attack (w19). WoP passes. Grave crawler, attack with champion (w17). HW becomes 2/2 end of turn. Pass. Attack with crawler. If blocked and pump walker to 3/3, R replay crawler, champion becomes 3/3. If not WoP drops to 15.
    Next turn WoP has to pass, being behind in the race vs more power and lower life. WoP will not have a window to attack when R cannot block with therapist, and win on the backswing. So gravecrawler attacks and dies and reassemble itself every turn, as a good zombie should.
    I somehow missed this line!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

We're missing quite a few results still. Please post results so we can determine the bannings for next round.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    We're missing quite a few results still. Please post results so we can determine the bannings for next round.
    Only PJim and the triple lupins did not post, and Reep is missing a few MUs.

PJim beats both Lupins and Reep, and Lupins should beat Reep.

Uncertainty on PJim and Silk, Silk should 6-0 PJim (2 steel overseer vs 1 is what matters here).
    With that it should be WoP, Silk and my deck that should be banned. Moon, SSG and Lupin will be still alive.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Only PJim and the triple lupins did not post, and Reep is missing a few MUs.

PJim beats both Lupins and Reep, and Lupins should beat Reep.

Uncertainty on PJim and Silk, Silk should 6-0 PJim (2 steel overseer vs 1 is what matters here).
    With that it should be WoP, Silk and my deck that should be banned. Moon, SSG and Lupin will be still alive.
    Reep posted half his results and I'm pretty sure I missed another one when I posted this.

But I think you're right. 3x Lupine won't get there, and with Silk vs PJim 6-0 we should know our bannings.
    I'll start brewing my deck and open the next round later today.

Thread Information