Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Lots of powerful cards. We're probably going to sit out multiple bans again in the next few years.

Rishadan Porthand is going to be annoying as fuck. Trading mana 1vs1 is much more powerful than 2vs1.

Grief is obviously powerful and much better than Unmask in fair decks.

Timeless Dragon is an extremely powerful addition to white Stompy decks. I've screwing around with Angel of the Ruins/Eternal Dragons lately and this is a straight upgrade to Eternal Dragon. Having land cyclers makes Mox Diamond much more viable. Hell, even color splashes become more feasible with a land cyclers + Mox Diamond - Hullbreacher or Opposition Agent/Plague Engineer or Ramunap/Dryard come into mind. I do have high expectations at this card. You can now easily do something like this:

T1: Sol Land, cycle Dragon
    T2: Land, Mox Diamond, Eternalize

You now have 4 mana (unless it was City of Traitors) and a 4/4 flyer in play - at effectively zero card disadvantage.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Grief is going to be better than Thoughtseize. There's lots of ways to get creatures back and just the fact that it's not dead off the top makes it pretty busted. Also can't be stopped by Chalice or Spell Pierce or Thalia etc..
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Grief is going to be better than Thoughtseize. There's lots of ways to get creatures back and just the fact that it's not dead off the top makes it pretty busted. Also can't be stopped by Chalice or Spell Pierce or Thalia etc..
    MD Reanimate is going to really strong - either you grab it again to destroy their hand or reanimate their juicy fatty. Imagine stealing Griselbrand on T1.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    This card is part of a cycle and is my prediction for knee-jerk bannings.

May 2015
    PDX

Can't put Misthollow Griffin or the 3/3 Eldrazi guy they play into exile. That's all we need to know about Grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Can't put Misthollow Griffin or the 3/3 Eldrazi guy they play into exile. That's all we need to know about Grief.
    First it's a cycle, and second it's a t1 double unmask that becomes a triple unmask if you cast Ephemerate instead of cloudshift.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Painter's Servant: Do I mean nothing to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Painter's Servant: Do I mean nothing to you?
    Well played sir. Alas there is no pop song reference that talks about painting and the color black/turns on rolling stones

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    This card is part of a cycle and is my prediction for knee-jerk bannings.
    I don't think so. If this is the best one, like Force of Negation/cycle in MH1, it will be good but not busted.

The Ephemerate play seems very, very strong.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I don't think so. If this is the best one, like Force of Negation/cycle in MH1, it will be good but not busted.

The Ephemerate play seems very, very strong.
    If they copy the masques cycle, the red one will also be very good as removal
    E: unrelated but Grief is a strict upgrade over unmask right?

Mar 2009
    Zurich

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    If they copy the masques cycle, the red one will also be very good as removal
    E: unrelated but Grief is a strict upgrade over unmask right?
    You can target yourself with Unmask, which is very relevant for reanimator.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Vine Dryad and Unmask had a baby?! Good Grief.

One can respond to the ETB on Grief with Culling the Weak as well. Burnt Offering and Sacrifice work similarly with the 4 cmc.

Its blinkable in WB Death and Taxes. UB Reanimator will surely try it out since it already plays Reanimate.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

May 2015
    PDX

UB Reanimator is likely happier playing discard spells. The deck pitches cards to FoW, not Unmask.

I've always dreamed of at least a 2 mana Entomb effect slot 5 through 8. Unmarked Grave is not what I have in mind. Anyway is there a way we can squeeze this through as 1 or 2 of? Or the UB / RB lists are already tight as it is?

Quote Originally Posted by jethstriker View Post
    I've always dreamed of at least a 2 mana Entomb effect slot 5 through 8. Unmarked Grave is not what I have in mind. Anyway is there a way we can squeeze this through as 1 or 2 of? Or the UB / RB lists are already tight as it is?
    Not getting griselbrand is kind of a flop right

Rishadan Porthand is going to be annoying as fuck. Trading mana 1vs1 is much more powerful than 2vs1.
    1 mana 1/2 islandwalk is also a much worse card than Wastes

Grief is obviously powerful and much better than Unmask in fair decks.
    Sorry which fair decks are playing unmask?
    In a vacuum I think this is a kind of good/cool design, obviously it's a powerful card
    I'm a little bit afraid that the ephemerate interaction pushes it over the edge, especially in modern (and I'm afraid of what the other ones in the cycle do for the same reason)

The two cards aren't really directly comparable I don't think
    There are lots of decks that aren't interested in the creature aspect, won't want to pay 2bb for it and also don't value the 0 mana worth 2-for-1ing yourself
    Of course this is still a statement you can make (just like "Griselbrand is better than Thoughtseize" or whatever)

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    1 mana 1/2 islandwalk is also a much worse card than Wastes
    This is anti 1cmc 1/2 Lackey propaganda and we won't have it!

No Legacy playable cards so far. Everything revealed is either too weak or too conditional.

Grief is pretty much a straight upgrade over Unmask.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I like Unmarked Grave for the Depths Reanimator hybrid. One of the key threats, for a while, was Grave Titan, which isn't legendary. It isn't an efficient way to tutor our Vampire Hexmage, but that is an option. I like Grief for the same deck, it seems like a pretty good value card. If you have an unnecessary Dark Ritual in hand you can either power it out, or if you need to make multiple plays you can pitch the DR/redundant black card to alternative cast it. I think it will go well in a deck that has a healthy amount of redundancy that can spare a card to enable it's 'free' clause.

Manaless Dredge comes to mind as well for Grief, it ticks off all the boxes for being playable in that deck: black creature for Ichorid, free hand disruption like Cabal Therapy, and you really don't care about losing a card when your real hand is your stuffed graveyard. I don't think it makes the deck jump a tier or anything like that, but I do think it's a pretty clean and powerful option for that deck. It might replace Chancellor of the Annex in the decks that play it. While it doesn't do anything for your g2-3, the deck's biggest weakness, it might be a piece of the puzzle.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miagi View Post
    Grief is pretty much a straight upgrade over Unmask.
    It can't target yourself, so it still has some competition in decks like RB Reanimator.

Also, Unmarked Grave seems ok in a deck that wants to play both Life from the Loam and Chalice of the Void, if that's a thing you want to do.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information