Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Painter-Stone

Not playing Bant
    Oct 2010
    Rockwall, Texas

Re: [Deck] Painter-Stone

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCid View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance...but isnt an additional win condition other than painter package useful?? Maybe Jace 2.0?

And what is the real advantage of Welder decks over the traditionals?
    I run Wurmcoil Engine as a backup aggro plan with Welder and Spellskite to protect it. It isn't that hard to get online with Transmute Artifact or Grim Monolith. I haven't tried Jace yet.
    Asylum EDH: Foil or go home.

Nov 2011
    Guangzhou, China

Are people even playing this deck now with sneak attack in the meta?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacemindbreak View Post
    I actually run Stiflenaught verison of the deck with advantage of stifle and trickbind + tormod's crypt MD and because i dont see much sneak attack here...

Jul 2012
    L.A. Area

Quote Originally Posted by Jacemindbreak View Post
    I played against a Mono-Red version in the 4-1 bracket at the Las Vegas SCG this past weekend, I asked him that question after our match. He said he has maindeck Relic for that reason, but that doesnt help with multiple Emrakuls. Shrug.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    Perusing the GP Atlanta coverage I saw a picture of painter that had gitaxian probe, manamorphose, and gamble. Im guessing this was just a somewhat joke list (not really sure what the point was) but does anyone know why you would run those together? Deck thinning?
    Gamble is probably for Goblin Welder shenanigans. The rest are for deck thinning and to gather information (Probe). I didn't see the list, but with Goblin Welder, you can Gamble/Faithless Looting your key artifacts or artifact fatties into your graveyard and the get them into play cheaply, instantly, and without fear of counterspells (save Stifle).

Laboratory Maniac?

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalize View Post
    Grindstone would kill us right in the spot.
    But what if you ran a playset of Narcomoeba, a single Dread Return and a single Maniac;
    Couldn't you use Dread Returns' effect instantly and interrupt the 2card trick that 'stone does, and plop Maniac onto the field?

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    But what if you ran a playset of Narcomoeba, a single Dread Return and a single Maniac;
    Couldn't you use Dread Returns' effect instantly and interrupt the 2card trick that 'stone does, and plop Maniac onto the field?
    First of all, you cannot cast anything during the resolution of Grindstone's ability.
    Secondly, Dread Return is a Sorcery, so you can only cast/flashback it during one of your mainphases, when you have priority and the stack is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by H3llsp4wn View Post
    First of all, you cannot cast anything during the resolution of Grindstone's ability.
    Secondly, Dread Return is a Sorcery, so you can only cast/flashback it during one of your mainphases, when you have priority and the stack is empty.
    Okay, but what about running Progenitus in there?
    It would stop Grindstone going wouldn't it?

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

If there is only one Progenitus left in the library, Grindstone will stop (because you need 2 cards of the same color to continue, and at some point, Progenitus would be the only card left in the library). Otherwise (e.g. 2 or more Progenitus in the library) there would be an infinite loop, which leads to a draw.

Alternatively, you could just be proactive: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=grindstone+progenitus

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by JBulko View Post
    I played against a Mono-Red version in the 4-1 bracket at the Las Vegas SCG this past weekend, I asked him that question after our match. He said he has maindeck Relic for that reason, but that doesnt help with multiple Emrakuls. Shrug.
    How does Relic not help against arbitrary number of Emrakuls? You/him probably confuse this with Brainfreeze.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Jul 2011
    Florence, Italy

the trigger of each emrakul goes on the stack at the same time when your opponent's library is entirely put into his graveyard, thus you can remove his graveyard with relic or tormod in response.

What about reading the OP/primer first? those are common interactions...

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I played the following list last weekend, finishing in 9th place on breakers at 4-2.

Lands (21):
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Badlands
    1 Island
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of Traitors
    4 Seat of Synod
    3 Great Furnace

Creatures (10):
    4 Goblin Welder
    4 Painter's Servant
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph

Spells (29):
    4 Grindstone
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Pyroblast
    4 Force of Will
    3 Intuition
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    3 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    3 Mox Opal
    4 Sensei's Divining Top

Sideboard:
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 REB
    4 Counterbalance
    2 Spellskite
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Nihil Spellbomb

Round 1 - Goblins (1-2)
    Game 1 i get him early when he taps out.
    Game 2 - 3 Pithing needles shut down all my cards
    Game 3 - 4 Gempalm Incinerators stop my beatdown gameplan after Needles nail the Grindstone.

Round 2 - UW MiracleBlade (2-1)
    Game 1 - Deck him when the coast is clear
    Game 2 - Lose to a Batterskull and Angel tokens
    Game 3 - get him with Tezz ultimate

Round 3 - Spanish Inquisition (2-1)
    This entire match is a test to see if I have the FoW or not. I board into Spellkite to have the ability to redirect Belcher to NOT die. Counterbalance locks him out in one game.

Round 4 - Maverick (2-0)
    Game 1 - Mom beatdown does not get there.
    Game 2 - Ensnaring Bridge says no to combat.

Round 5 - NO Elves (1-2)
    Game 1 - Lose to infinite lord beatdown before I can fire off Grindstone
    Game 2 - Deck you.
    Game 3 - He sees 3 KGrips and NO-Terastadon to stop my Bridge lock, and Scavenging Ooze stops Welder shenanigans. I let him take back 2 plays which ended up costing me the game. C'est la vie.

Round 6 - UW Miracles (2-1)
    Game 1 - deck him early.
    Game 2 - Lose to infinite Angels
    Game 3 - Welder advantage ignores his Counterbalance. Pyro/REB are key here.

The decks works really well, but I'm starting to think that Spellskite should be maindecked instead of Metamorph, and it along with Ensnaring Bridge were the two most boarded in cards all day.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    The decks works really well, but I'm starting to think that Spellskite should be maindecked instead of Metamorph, and it along with Ensnaring Bridge were the two most boarded in cards all day.
    How was the FoW? I used to hate it all the time except meeting Belcher... give Lightning greaves a try

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    How was the FoW? I used to hate it all the time except meeting Belcher... give Lightning greaves a try
    It was... unimpressive. It never helped me win a game I was already losing.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

Nice list Koby. Loved it.

@Force of Will, this is a automatic four-of in this deck, since Painter Servant makes this card so powerful. When I play this deck, 90% of my FoW targets are removal for Painter Servant, it's a pretty good way to protect it.

This deck might be really competitive today. It's unexpected, and with Goblins, Merfolk and Maverick being a good portion of the metagame, this deck may find its way to many top8's. To counterbalance that, one of the most popular decks is a natural bad matchup for PainterStone (Show and Tell). Seems nice to try, because this deck is pretty cheap, indeed.
    Let your Dredge 6 be: Narco, Narco, Narco, Bridge, Bridge, Dread Return

Jun 2011
    Russia, SPb

I've been working for a while on the painter's list with a Tezzeret splash. And since the interest is growing a little bit, I'd like to share:

3 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    1 Badlands
    3 Great Furnace
    3 Seat of The Seanode
    3 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors

3 Mox opal
    3 LED

4 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Painter's
    4 Grindstone
    4 Goblin Welder
    4 Brainstorm

3 Spellskite
    3 Intuition
    4 REB
    3 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    1 Ensnaring Bridge

Sideboard is constantly changing, but definitely includes at least:
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Llawan, Cephalid Empress
    2 Pyroblast
    xx pithing needle or don't play this deck if there are Pernicious deeds around.

I also love to see Jaya Ballard, Engineered Explosives and Slaughter Games in SB.

My thoughts on FoW here:
    - REB/Pyroblasts are way better against opposing countermagic.
    - Against decks whithout blue Spellskite protects our combopieces as well as us/tezzeret better than FoW would.
    - There are not enough blue cards to support FoW if we don't control a painter.

At the moment I'm trying to cut smth, because the list is 61 cards. Also perhaps it needs 1 underground sea in place of a volcanic or great furnace.

p.s. the pure U/R list has never been as fun to play as it is now with Tezzerets. Thanks to Sloshthedark's post #292.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted...

Not playing Bant
    Oct 2010
    Rockwall, Texas

I went 5-3 and got 42nd place at SCG DFW with this deck today. If anyone cares about matchup analysis or a mini report, let me know and I will write one.
    Asylum EDH: Foil or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bignasty197 View Post
    I went 5-3 and got 42nd place at SCG DFW with this deck today. If anyone cares about matchup analysis or a mini report, let me know and I will write one.
    I would love to read youe experience with the deck and your decklist!

Not playing Bant
    Oct 2010
    Rockwall, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCid View Post
    I would love to read youe experience with the deck and your decklist!
    OK. Decklist was:

4 Goblin Welder
    4 Painter's Servant
    2 Trinket Mage
    1 Wurmcoil Engine

4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Transmute Artifact
    2 Intuition

3 Grindstone
    3 Mox Opal
    3 Grim Monolith
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Tormod's Crypt

4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Seat of the Synod
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Great Furnace
    3 Ancient Tomb
    2 Island
    1 Mountain

SB-
    3 Blood Moon
    3 Spellskite
    3 REB
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Ancient Grudge
    2 Tormod's Crypt

Matchups were:

RD 1 vs BUG Delver 2-0
    Game 1- We draw-go for the first 3 turns with him casting Brainstorms and Ponders while I stick a Welder and a Grindstone on turn 3. He Abrupt Decays my Grindstone instead of Welder and it goes downhill there for him. I land a Bridge turn 4 for which he has no answer with 2 Goyfs in play. I land a Painter turn 5 and Grind him turn 6. He had 5 lands in play. Tough luck.
    Game 2- I land 2 Welders in the first 2 turns and do tricks with an Ensnaring Bridge and Wurmcoil Engine that warrants a concession.

I boarded in 3 Blood Moons and 3 Spellskites while boarding out a bunch of 1-ofs like the Crypt, LED, a Painter, a FOW, a Transmute and an Intuition. I expected stuff like Krosan Grip and Surgical Extraction to come in on his side but I never saw them.

RD 2 vs BG Loam Pox 2-1
    Game 1- He Inquisitions me turn 1 taking Trinket Mage then Hymns me twice and sticks Liliana and 2 Nighthawks that kill me.
    Game 2- Another turn 1 Inquisition that nabs a Blood Moon, but I draw another and lock him out with that and Ensnaring Bridge. Win on turn 6. I named black with painter to dodge Snuff Out or Doom Blade from his single swamp and multiple Mountains.
    Game 3- I get Inquisitioned on turn 1 yet again, taking Blood Moon. I get Hymned turn 2 but he has no threats. I get Inquisitioned another 2 times and he sticks a Liliana. My board at this point is 2 land, Grindstone, LED. I topdeck a Brainstorm into land, Painter, Welder. I take the Land and play it. Instead of Ultimating Liliana, he chooses to move her to 7 counters for some reason with both of us handless. I rip Painter and kill him. Oh, well. I'll take it.

SB: +3 Blood Moon, +2 Needle. I cut Intuitions, 2 FOWs and a Transmute. I expected Extirpates and Deeds.

RD 3 vs BUG Delver 0-2
    Side Note: This guy was a condescending dick.
    Game 1- He land 2 Delvers that both flip with a Tarmogoyf and casts 2 Abrupt Decays that neuter me.
    Game 2- I mull to 5 with 1 land and a Welder while he has Delver, Mongoose and Vendilion Clique.

SB: Same as RD 1

RD 4 vs Burn 1-2
    Game 1- I open up with 3 Lands, Top, Mox, Grindstone, FOW. I Top and fetch 3 times but every time it was 3 lands on top. I die. FML
    Game 2- It was meant to be this game. I naturally drew all 4 Painters this game without tutors. He killed the first 2 with bolts and the third with Fireblast in response to me grinding him. I topdeck #4 when he has no cards in hand and I kill him. He wasn't happy. I would be unhappy too, if I was playing burn.
    Game 3- This was dumb. He PoPs me twice and Flame Rifts me twice while Spellskites look stupid sitting there. I never saw Wurmcoil all 3 games.

SB: +3 Spellskite, -1 Crypt, -1 Bridge, -1 Transmute

RD 5 vs Enchantress 0-2 He plays at my local shop and knew what I was playing.
    Game 1- He opens up on Leyline of Sanctity turn 0. I go aggro backup plan that gets him to 8 before I'm locked out.
    Game 2- He has everything he needs, including 2 Aura of Silence, Karmic Justice, Sterling Grove, Solitary Confinement, Needle on Grindstone. FML.

I don't remember what I sided in completely. I know it was 3 blasts but maybe something else as well. At this point, I was 2-3, super tired and kind of discouraged but I vowed to win my next 3 and get in the money.

RD 6 vs Affinity 2-0
    Game 1- I win the roll and curve out perfectly into turn 1 Grindstone, turn 2 Painter, turn 3 kill with Force backup.
    Game 2- He plays a Turn 1 Vault Skirge off of an Inkmoth Nexus with a Mox Opal open. I play my own Mox during my turn 1 to legend rule his. This was crucial because his only plays the rest of the game were Memnites and another Inkmoth because he had no colored mana. I intuition for 2 Ancient Grudge and a Needle at one point and he scoops to a grind a few turns later. I ended the game at 14 life with 2 poison counters. He showed me a hand of double Dispatch and Ancient Grudge. It happens.

SB: +2 Ancient Grudge, +2 Pithing Needle, -1 Crypt, -1 LED, -1 Transmute, -1 Painter.

RD 7 vs Goblins 2-0
    Game 1- She opens up with Cavern, Lackey, go, but doesn't play another land the rest of the game. I don't have a blocker for the Lackey, so I get bashed down to 8 before I win on turn 5.
    Game 2- Similar to game 1 with the Cavern, Lackey start. I put a Needle on Incinerator and play a Painter turn 2, which gets Pyrokinesis'd away. Lackey hits me and drops in a Siege-Gang. I stick a Welder and a Grindstone and win on turn 6. I ended the game at 7 life with the next attack being lethal.

SB: +2 Pithing Needle, +2 Spellskite, -1 Transmute, -2 FOW, -1 Crypt.

The last round decides if I get in the money, so I hope to not play against burn or RUG Delver--my worst MUs.

RD 8 vs RUG Delver 2-1
    Game 1- This game is foggy in my memory but my notes say I was at 10 life before I won.
    Game 2- He sticks a Delver on turn 1 that flips 2 turns later. I land a Grindstone and a Blood Moon with 2 Spellskites and draw lands for 5 turns while I die to a 3/2 flyer. Fuck Delver.
    Game 3- We counter each other's things at first until he lands 2 Goyfs that beat me down to 5 before I stick a Bridge and win a turn later.

SB: Same as rounds 1 and 3, but adding in 2 REBs while cutting 2 FOWs.

This put me at 5-3, good enough for 42nd place and $50. The deck was fun to play but probably not the best choice for the meta. I played it because I have played this deck exclusively for the past 4 months and I felt good about most of its matchups. The official count of people asking about the oracle text of Transmute Artifact ended up at 6.

Cool Things-
    Going 2-1 against Delver decks
    The hot dog stand across the street
    5 hour energy
    Colin got top 8
    Picking up 4 Seas and 4 Deltas

Uncool Things-
    Losing to Burn
    Cedric Phillips coughing on me
    Not playing against Dredge or Miracles
    Someone shit their pants and it was awful
    Losing to Burn