Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    It can beat and hit creatures, though. I agree that it's pretty expensive for hand disruption that merely taxes.

Edit:
    On a different topic: Magecraft should also go well with Punishing Fire, especially with grindy cards like the UG Mage.

Also new cards:

Pretty interesting cards, especially for WR, which historically suck. If I read some Judges' comments right, Warsinger can bring back creatures that have died in combat. Pretty nifty, especially since trample ensures that you get your damage through after casting a removal spell to remove a blocker.
    Woah, Rip Apart is as close as WR has ever gotten to an Abrupt Decay style effect. Critters/Walkers/Arts/Enchants? I mean, Sorcery, but still, that card is strongk. Especially for the color pairing.

The important thing about the white hand tax guy is that the effect never goes away if he dies. It's permanent, so if you flicker him repeatedly, you can get their entire hand with a reverse foretold effect.

[quandrix apprentice]
    This one is actually brutal with Retrace spells - his ability feeds retrace and retrace feeds his ability. Throw in something like Raven's Crime and you've got yourself a combo.
    Getting land cards "for free" when you cast spells has lots of synergies. It's not just retrace -there are synergies with stuff like Brainstorm, Faithless Looting, Growth Spiral, and Jeskai Ascendancy.

Interestingly enough, Chain of Smog + UG Apprentice would allow you to dump the entire number of lands into your GY. Not sure if you could make an alternate wincon out of that somehow.
    You can also stack the library (like petals of insight) unless the number of cards in it is divisible by 3 and there are aren't any lands left. That makes for more possibilities.

It’s the closest thing to cast a spell, draw a card, since experimental frenzy, song of creation, or monastery mentor, and is 2 cmc.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

This is another card that works with Dreadnought, right?

I guess...

whats with mox diamond?
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    I guess...

whats with mox diamond?
    Mox Diamond is not a trigger, it's a replacement effect.

But yeah, I am pretty sure it works with Dreadnaught, since you are never required to make a mana payment if you don't want (IIRC).
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2007

For better or worse, it also nerfs Uro's ETB card draw - but can also prevent the initial death trigger. Pretty double-edged sword.

For better or worse, it also nerfs Uro's ETB card draw - but can also prevent the initial death trigger. Pretty double-edged sword.
    It messes with the typical Prime Time stuff pretty well though.

Mar 2007

I like it that they at least try to do something with WR this time instead of doing the usual shitty combat tricks:

I like it that they at least try to do something with WR this time instead of doing the usual shitty combat tricks:

Its just cathartic reunion with 2 life tacked on because W. it’s about as innovative as gerrard’s verdict but I agree at least it’s playable.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Its just cathartic reunion with 2 life tacked on because W. it’s about as innovative as gerrard’s verdict but I agree at least it’s playable.
    It's better than Reunion since discarding two cards isn't part of the cost. You don't 3-for-1 yourself when this is countered.

I stand corrected. In modern dredge that is actually a downside but I dismissed it’s applications to fair strategies.

Also if you need 2 life but don’t have 2 cards in hand I guess.

This is another card that works with Dreadnought, right?
    Yup

And there's our Chain of Smog wincon - it's even GSZable. Two cards, 4 mana.

Willowdusk might be interesting with Ballista.
    This card is probably going to fit into a bunch of decks, not just combos. Casting this with flusterstorm back-up is going to feel dirty. Even casting a value grapeshot after a cantrip or something (so storm = 2) could put you up ahead. We should watch Magecraft cards because they could synergize well with existing Storm cards, even the ones that don't damage the opponent.

What exactly is this? A MH2 preview?
    Nice cantrip for non-blue decks I guess. It finds you action on the late game and lets you land in the early game (let's be honest half the time people cast Ponder to find lands anyway). It also allows all sorts of janky combos for decks with 1 land or 1 spell lol

Quote Originally Posted by chunderbucket View Post
    This card is probably going to fit into a bunch of decks, not just combos. Casting this with flusterstorm back-up is going to feel dirty. Even casting a value grapeshot after a cantrip or something (so storm = 2) could put you up ahead. We should watch Magecraft cards because they could synergize well with existing Storm cards, even the ones that don't damage the opponent.
    Does magecraft trigger once for storm, or once per storm count?

Mar 2007

I still wonder in what kind of shell Warsinger might be good. Being able to bring back copies that were previously destroyed has potential to be pretty annoying. It has some pretty good synergy with Noble Hierarch (potential T2 play + Exalted for extra power), Pridemage (Exalted + recycling it after blowing something up) and equipment in general.

There's also some tribal potential with Pyre of Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by chunderbucket View Post
    People have died to DRS drain before. While those two cards aren't comparable, it should still be able to get quite the lifeswing going in a Xerox shell, especially in multiples. It just happens to have the "Oops, I win" factor with Chain of Smog.

I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually go towards a BUG shell that runs the BG and UG Apprentice, Uro, GSZ, a bunch of cantrips, Flusterstorm, some copies of Raven's Crime, some copies of Loam and 4x Chain of Smog. You can use the UG one + Crime to make the opponent empty-handed before you go off. Or you just grind your opponent into the dust with repeated Raven's Crime while BG Mages drain your opponents to death.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Does magecraft trigger once for storm, or once per storm count?
    The way I understand it:

-You cast the spell; magecraft triggers, storm triggers
    -Storm trigger resolves, you put X copies on the stack, where X is storm count
    -X magecraft triggers

So a single storm spell yields you 1+X triggers. For instance, a grapeshot with previous storm count 0 will drain 2 + deal 2 damage wherever you want, and that's just the floor. With flusterstorm you could bait a counterwar with forces/dazes/etc. before slamming the flusterstorm for a lot of lifedrain. You can even flusterstorm a decay this way.

I think the card is very good and will slot in a bunch of decks. It enable combos, it's gsz-able, not too shabby on its own and naturally fits xerox strategies.

The UG looks cool but finding lands is going to be too bland if it's not a dedicated land deck like Loam or Lands. Or I guess Raven's Crime as you said lol

Sorry the RW one is unplayable, I just don't see how a 3 mana thing that needs to connect to do anything fits anywhere. I guess that's par for the course for the color pair Boros

If you already run Flusterstorm maybe add narset's reversal. Reversal your own fluster to generate insane amount of copys :)
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Mar 2007

People have died to DRS drain before. While those two cards aren't comparable, it should still be able to get quite the lifeswing going in a Xerox shell, especially in multiples. It just happens to have the "Oops, I win" factor with Chain of Smog.

I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually go towards a BUG shell that runs the BG and UG Apprentice, Uro, GSZ, a bunch of cantrips, Flusterstorm, some copies of Raven's Crime, some copies of Loam and 4x Chain of Smog. You can use the UG one + Crime to make the opponent empty-handed before you go off. Or you just grind your opponent into the dust with repeated Raven's Crime while BG Mages drain your opponents to death.
    Some additional thoughts:
    The more I think about it, the more I like adding some Entomb/Snapcaster/Reanimate (or Unearth?) package to said deck. Entomb fetches Raven's Crime, Loam, Uro, random reanimation or Snapcaster targets. Snapcaster is random value and just dumb with Reanimate. You could even throw in a single Griselbrand for shit and giggles as Entomb target.

Raven's Crime with Loam or UG Mage can also be used to build up Storm count before targeting the last one with Flusterstorm for a massive Magecraft trigger fireworks. Lots of synergies going on here.

So, partial reveal theorycrafting puts BUG Delver at the top of the zerox pile? Ah, legacy, such an interesting format if you like the different flavors of brainstorm blue.

Thread Information