Page 91 of 197 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141191 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    So new card spoiled in Origins looks like an interesting fit in this deck.
    Swords to Plowshares/Removal after I discard my hand makes me feel bad.
    Card has potential, but the other 4/4 dragon for 4 that bolts the opponent when removed seems better and doesn't get played...

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Swords to Plowshares/Removal after I discard my hand makes me feel bad.
    Card has potential, but the other 4/4 dragon for 4 that bolts the opponent when removed seems better and doesn't get played...
    Well, ideally when the "discard" trigger occurs you have already played everything from your hand. You build the deck so there is very little you want to "keep" in hand past Turn 4. This deck used to play Rakdos Pit Dragon which incentivized going Hellbent.

Comparing this guy to the Regent that bolts opponent upon targeting is a good comparison to make. The key difference here is that card advantage trumps >>>>>>>>>> damage in games of Magic almost always. A 2RR 4/4 Flying Dark Confidant in this type of deck is basically several levels more powerful than a 4/4 Flying guy that might Bolt the opponent once before it dies.

This dragon has me highly skeptical since it still gets plowed and you discard your hand before you ever get to draw an extra card as mentioned.

I often want to have that backup moon for when one gets decayed.

The entire deck would have to be rebuilt. Faithless looting?

In Dragon Stompy, RR2 is just as hard to get as RR3, doubly so if you run seething songs which play into the hellbent strategy. I've been having a lot of success with Stormbreath dragon since it also survives bolt, decay, ignores plow, and gets in for 4 right away.

I was going to pick these up just to brew but the only set is $60 right now.

[edit] nevermind Starcity has preorder for $10 but very hesitant to pull the trigger even at that price.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    I often want to have that backup moon for when one gets decayed.
    Your Blood Moons gets unexpectedly decayed how? The only decks that plays Abrupt Decay are Shardless BUG, BUG Delver and Jund. All those decks have a very difficult time decaying a blood moon that has already been on the table for a turn. And even if they somehow manage to do that, why don't you just play out 2 Blood Moons instead of holding 1 in hand?

The new dragon seems awesome and I think it goes into some versions of the deck for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahra View Post
    Your Blood Moons gets unexpectedly decayed how? The only decks that plays Abrupt Decay are Shardless BUG, BUG Delver and Jund. All those decks have a very difficult time decaying a blood moon that has already been on the table for a turn. And even if they somehow manage to do that, why don't you just play out 2 Blood Moons instead of holding 1 in hand?

The new dragon seems awesome and I think it goes into some versions of the deck for sure.
    It's not unexpected. It's expected. And I'd prefer to have a backup for when it happens off of a Deathrite Shaman which is actually quite common and happens between the moon being on the battlefield and the option to drop a 2nd (not that it'd matter if there are one or two in play if they're casting decay off of a basic and a drs).

Like I said, the deck would have to be rebuilt. I'm interested in seeing lists.
    I'm struggling to find the benefit of coming up with RR2 for a creature that will hellbent me after my combat phase (in the event I have gathan raiders), doesn't deal immediate damage, doesn't impact the board, "only" swings for 4. At least with Pit-Dragon, which died to bolt, you could usually swing for the kill if you were hellbent.

Just because I'm struggling doesn't mean I'm not trying.

Currently looking at:
    Devastating Dreams
    Faithless Looting
    Scrap Mastery
    Goblin Welder shenanigans.
    To include the dragon means working out of the graveyard as a contingency at the minimum.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

So I decided to try out 8-moon stompy in a Legacy daily on Magic Online and here's how it went and the list I played:

I didn't have the 4th Rabblemaster or the 4th Grove of the Burnwillows so I played a Sudden Shock and a Mountain instead.

Round 1: UWR Delver 2-1

Game 1: I mulligan to 5 in my very first game with this deck, get my lock pieces FoW'd and then die to True-Name Nemesis. Great...

Game 2: Same business with the FoW'd but eventually I land Blood Moon and a Magus of the Moon and grind my way through a Batterskull with Jitte on the Magus.

Game 3: Early Blood Moon + Chalice + Spirit Guides bring it home

Round 2: 4c Delver 2-0

Game 1: He plays 2 Gurmag Anglers and a True-Name Nemesis, I play a Jitte and a Hound of Griselbrand, he hits me to 1 and I attack into his 2 Anglers with Jitte-equipped Hound. I let first strike resolve, then punishing fire the damaged angler, then pump the hound to 7/7 (it was bolted earlier to trigger undying) and then we stare at each other for a few turns and I land a Chalice. I then find Prophetic Flamespeaker that easily hits through True-Name Nemesis when it has a Jitte equipped.

Game 2: Early Chalice + Magus of the Moon seals it.

Round 3: ANT 2-1

Game 1: I keep a turn 2 Trinisphere on the play and he goes turn 1 Ad Nauseam. He strips my hand and passes the turn at 2 life, I top deck Punishing Fire and he's done.

Game 2: I keep a hand with a turn 1 Goblin Rabblemaster but no disruption, figuring I can draw one of my 16 pieces before I die. I don't and die on turn 3.

Game 3: I play turn 1 Chalice on 1, turn 2 Magus of the Moon, turn 3 Rabblemaster and he's done.

Round 4: Ponder Miracles 2-0

Game 1: I keep 1 Mountain on the draw with 2 SSGs, Magus of the Moon, Koth of the Hammer and Prophetic Flamespeaker I draw another Flamespeaker for my turn. I decide to go for broke and play turn 1 Flamespeaker. It Resolves. On turn 2 it hits him and show Mountain + Chalice. I play them, next turn I hit land + Blood Moon and that is game.

Game 2: I go turn 1 Chalice, Turn 2 Blood Moon, Turn 3 Flamespeaker. He has a Monastery Mentor but concedes to the Flamespeaker.

I really had fun playing the deck, and really got in touch with the Blood Moon side of me and that felt great. I will try it again another time, but with a more optimal list. Although I think it was close to a very good list. Worst cards by far was Goblin Rabblemaster. Everything else was great.

Edit: Just realized I was playing a 13 card sideboard. The 2 last slots were supposed to be Pyroclasms but I guess the client didn't load the deck properly. Oh well, hardly needed the pyroclasms anyways.

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

I can assume that Flamespeaker and Jite was about as disgusting as it seems.

Would new Dragon replace Hound? Or is double strike that good?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

Quote Originally Posted by Redkid43 View Post
    I can assume that Flamespeaker and Jite was about as disgusting as it seems.

Would new Dragon replace Hound? Or is double strike that good?
    Double Strike is super good, but I suspect the dragon is just better.

Feb 2015
    Seattle, WA, USA

Went 3-0-1 at Card Kingdom with Moggcatcher Stompy tonight. Faced Miracles, Grixis Delver, Food Chain and drew with Infect (probably could have beaten him but I wanted ice cream.) Got $50 store credit. I feel like I'm getting better at the deck. Funniest opening hand of the night was 2x Chrome Mox, Simian Spirit Guide, Magus of the Moon, Chalice of the Void, Sudden Demise, Moggcatcher. T1 Magus into T2 Chalice made my opponent scoop.
    "Move swift as a wind, stay silent as a forest. Strike fierce as a fire, be stalwart as a mountain."

Quote Originally Posted by Morzas View Post
    Went 3-0-1 at Card Kingdom with Moggcatcher Stompy tonight. Faced Miracles, Grixis Delver, Food Chain and drew with Infect (probably could have beaten him but I wanted ice cream.) Got $50 store credit. I feel like I'm getting better at the deck. Funniest opening hand of the night was 2x Chrome Mox, Simian Spirit Guide, Magus of the Moon, Chalice of the Void, Sudden Demise, Moggcatcher. T1 Magus into T2 Chalice made my opponent scoop.
    List?

Feb 2015
    Seattle, WA, USA

Maindeck

19 Lands
    11 Mountain
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb

8 Fast Mana
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

15 Hate
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere

13 Kill
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Moggcatcher
    3 Koth of the Hammer
    2 Siege-Gang Commander

5 Other
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Sudden Demise
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Sideboard

4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Murderous Redcap
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

-------------

The main difference between my list and other ones I've seen is that I run three pieces of equipment maindeck. I like them a lot because they make cards like Simian Spirit Guide and Magus of the Moon into legitimate threats. I had a player last night that had to FoW a hardcast Spirit Guide because I had a Jitte in play

I also maindeck Koth because I'm in a control-heavy area.
    "Move swift as a wind, stay silent as a forest. Strike fierce as a fire, be stalwart as a mountain."

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

It's really not a horrible idea to maindeck the Koths in the utility goblin slots. Really depends on the expected meta.

Well, it has been a long time since I have gotten to play legacy, basically 6 months sadly. Due to this pause in play the following list is my starting point for a Legacy event I am playing in today...

Lands
    8 Mountain
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    Quick Mana
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    3 Chrome Mox
    Creatures
    1 Rakka Mar
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Murderous Redcap
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    2 Siege-Gang Commander
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Moggcatcher
    Disruption
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    Equipment
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Sideboard
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Pyrokinesis
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Koth of the Hammer
    1 Trinisphere
    4 Phyrexian Revoker

I have absolutely no idea what the meta will look like at the event today so I scrolled through the forum and found my old list and my comments at that time and then modeled this version off of it. The sideboard is a bit hodgepodeged, however due to a lack of legacy lately I just wanted a more rounded board so I wasn't caught with my pants down. Any last second thoughts, concerns or comments are always welcome as is general overall feedback.

RESULTS
    3-1 overall.
    I lost to BG Nic Fit in round 4 and beat Foodchains then Grixis Delver and then Sneak and Show before finally losing. My loss was a real heartbreaker due to the turnout only being diehard Legacy players as there were PPTQs all over the area so our even only had 5 players and since I never got the bye my breakers were miserable unlike the other 4. GRRRRR

THOUGHTS
    I think cutting Scrapper from the main is a solid option and also the Rakka Mar... possibly for 2 Phyrexian Revokers in the main to further the disruption plan. Overall, I think those two while decent, simply are not where we want to be game 1.
    Last edited by nodahero; 06-14-2015 at 06:14 PM.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

I'm not so sure about cutting Scrapper. He's always been solid in the main for me. There's usually a big target like a Jitte that you need to be able to handle game one. I run Settler in the side instead of the main because I only really want to see it in a few matchups. I just hate drawing Settler as he feels so underwhelming when sitting on the board without Kiki-Jiki.

I have the exact same feeling with Scrapper, as you do Settler. I prefer Settler though, because she plays ball with the 3Sphere and Blood Moons, where as Scrapper can just be dead outside of a few specific cases.

I think it really boils down to the fact that if I had to top deck one randomly, Settler is basically never dead and Scrapper can be.

Oct 2012
    Italy

My honest opinion is that if we are playing the moggcatcher version, we choose it due to its flexibility over the raw power of other creatures (let's say "dragons"). If i am playing moggcatcher, i want to have at least one kiki-jiki, one scrapper and one settler in my list. Getting cute with too many situational effects, like stingscourger or sharpshooter main deck, is dangerous, but blowing up artifacts and lands is an effect that it's very often useful and i'm willing to sometimes draw a dead card in the matchup to gain some maindeck flexibility.
    Otherwise i would just play thunderbreak regent, stormbreath dragon, rabblemasters and don't care about casting a 4 mana 2/2.

Lurker
    May 2007
    Berkeley, CA

Another potential Dragon Stompy card in origins:

http://mythicspoiler.com/ori/cards/p...rannalaar.html

Pia and Kiran Nalaar.
    (Chandra's parents, I guess.)

2RR for a 2/2 human artificer.

When ~ etb get two 1/1 colorless flying artifact Thopters.

2R, sack an artifact: ~ deals two damage to target creature or player.

Flyers to carry Jitte, option to throw the flyers at random annoying bears or people's faces, plus also when you draw dead Chrome Moxes you can fling those, too? At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

Yep.
    "It possesses no intelligence, only counter-intelligence."

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.
    I love this sentence.

The card definitely has potential. I like it more than the Dragon that was spoiled so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

Hey everyone, new-ish Sourcer but long time lurker here, just thought I'd post up my current Dragon Stompy list.

Creatures: (22)
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Qal Sisma Behemoth
    4 Prophetic Flamespeaker
    2 Rakka Mar
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Magus of the Moon

Non-Creature Spells: (19)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Lands: (19)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    11 Mountain

Sideboard: (15)
    3 Sudden Demise
    2 Boil
    2 Koth of the Hammer
    2 Manic Vandal
    2 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Tormod's Crypt

I've been playing Goblin Stompy for some time and have been quite happy with it, but was pretty excited when I saw Qal Sisma Behemoth released. although a bit mana-intensive, you can slam him on turn two (or one) and he kills incredibly quickly, and means that you don't have to overextend the rest of your hand. With this in mind, I basically took him and all the other red creatures that are incredibly powerful singular threats and shoved them in a deck. This version I feel is less all-in, especially compared to traditional Hellbent versions, and allows you to ride a single threat to victory until they can answer it, after which you just play another threat that is ready to spiral out of control. I've found the matchup against Miracles, in my limited testing, to be pretty good because with a Chalice on one all your threats demand a Terminus, or else the Miracles player will quickly fall behind.

Also, the new stuff from Origins looks very exciting. Avaricious Dragon looks strong in a traditional Hellbent shell, while the Nalaars might be good with some kind of Daretti/Great Furnace kind of package?

Nonetheless, thanks for your thoughts everyone. ^_^

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

Just a thought...

Could a hellbent version of Stompy be a thing with the new Dragon? Perhaps forgoing equipment and Flamespeaker for it? It would turn on Raiders and Pit Dragon right away and the deck can function while it's hellbent.

Something like

4 Magus
    4 SSG
    4 Gathan Raiders
    4 Pit Dragon
    4 Avarcious Dragon

4 Chalice
    4 Mox
    4 Sphere
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Punishing Fire

8 Mountain
    8 Sol Lands
    4 Grove
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

Thread Information