Thread: [SCD] Ancestral Vision

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

[SCD] Ancestral Vision

Can someone explain to me why it's banned? Are they afraid of blue having too many bad counters in hand?
    I will make use of every tool that fate presents.

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Re: [SCD] Ancestral Vision

I believe WotC's justification was that because it's currently seeing a bit of play in Legacy, it's probably too good for Modern, which means they likely did little to no testing with the card. It's a safe ban for them, because once they selectively unban it down the road, it's the type of card that would generate interest in the format if it ever stagnates.
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

Mar 2009
    Tampa Bay, FL

To quote Tom LaPille:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ld/155
    The last Modern-legal card that has been making a huge splash in Legacy control decks is Ancestral Vision. While not every Jace, the Mind Sculptor deck in Legacy plays Ancestral Vision, a great many of them do. The combination of Ancestral Vision, Spell Snare, and other counterspells lets control decks draw cards very cheaply without getting behind early on, and that's powerful enough that we feel safer having it banned.
    I'd say it's a precuationary measure; as they've said, they want to be conservative going into Modern's debut, and they can unban things that wouldn't actually be broken later.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Or they use it like they use safe-but-still-banned/restricted-cards on the Legacy/Vintage list:

Exchange them for newly banned cards and brag about how small they keep the List.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Being conservative is the absolute wrong strategy because bannnig is easier than unbanning.
    If a card is played in the format and it needs to be banned, there are lots of indicators on which WotC can decide the banning.
    But for banned cards such indicators do not exist. The only indicator there is, is when cards that are better than the banned cards are played but not banworthy.
    Bannings are okay as long as there is clear evidence that cards are broken. Banning on assumptions is only okay in absolutely obvious cases like the emergy ban of Memory Jar.

But maybe Wizards is afraid to do the right thing since they allowed Flash in the last Legacy GP.

Ancestral Vision is an absolutely ban-unworthy-card. I cannot see the impact of AV in Legacy Tom La Pille talks about.
    The time Ancestral Vision resolves you are dead/almost dead in Modern. Also you canīt chain Vision into Vision. It is a horrible topdeck for any control deck. I could see his point if AV would have maybe CMC 4 instead of none at all, but you never get the cards now in a control deck.

cant play as much as he wants

Jun 2010

Uhm, Legacy control Decks play them, maybe check that out and then think again..........

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

So ..... Legacy Zoo plays Nacatl ... Maybe WotC should ban it and every modern-legal Card that sees Legacy play? what Kind of Explantation is this? Legacy Control sometimes plays it, so we ban it to be super-safe?

Visions sees play in 2/3 of the stoneblade Decks, that's all and isn't broken in them. It's like we discuss silvergill adept in meerfolk and ban it because of it seeing play and "the combination of it and Lord-effects is powerful enough that we feel safer having it banned"...
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by sporenfrosch1411 View Post
    Uhm, Legacy control Decks play them, maybe check that out and then think again..........
    I said I cannot see the impact.
    This refers to this sentence of La Pille: "The combination of Ancestral Vision, Spell Snare, and other counterspells lets control decks draw cards very cheaply without getting behind early on, and that's powerful enough that we feel safer having it banned."

This statement wasnīt directed at his statement of AV being played alongside JMS.

Also you draw cards on turn 5 the earliest. This isnīt early on anymore. As I said at that time you are already/almost dead. Ancestral Visions doesnīt help you find answers early on. It helps you rebuild after you defended the first waves your opponent has thrown at you.
    I absolutely fail to see how Ancestral Vision is powerful. Itīs a decent card.

Black lotus that takes 3 turns to get is fine, but a sorcery speed ancestral that takes 4 turns isn't.... Ok WoTC, you can stop trolling us now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    On a more constructive note: Anything can be funny, even if it is about rape.
    TIME POLICE

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

I think the real answer here is just that Tom LaPille is a moron. We all work with one. There's one in every workplace, that guy that is so stupid that everyone else uses them as a synonym for idiot behind their back. Well, at Wizards of the Coast, that guy's name is Tom LaPille.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

Quote Originally Posted by sporenfrosch1411 View Post
    Dude... 10x as many decks run goyf... try putting 2 and 2 together before making a post
    I will make use of every tool that fate presents.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

They probably took a crap shoot at faeries since it was fairly dominant during it's time and didn't want to being an easy one to throw together and smash with right out of the gates. Bitterblossom was enough damage to cripple that deck anyway, but I guess they wanted to be better safe than sorry on it.

It's far from broken, but it's easier to make people happy and unban a card than it is to make people happy by banning a card.

When they banned the elements of Legacy Blade Control from the Modern format, they basically nuked the site from orbit (only way to be sure!). If control decks have problems competing in the format against slower aggro to midrange decks (the very decks where Visions comes in and saves the day when both players are low on cards), then it'll likely be unbanned.

Bitterblossom is in a similar situation.

A lot of people hate bannings, but to me it's pretty clear that there will be more bannings than unbannings as the format plays out over the next six to nine months.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Tom LaPille has already stated in some articles that the effect R&D fears the most are the ones that draw TWO cards for cheap, so I can see why they would be so worried about a delayed Ancestrall Recall.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

Sep 2009
    Michigan, US

Should rename this thread to [SCD] Misguided Rage.

Kicker of Elves
    Jul 2008
    Kingston Ont. Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
    Now Sig'd
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Dredge is like a woman's period: Once a week every month, its fury engulfs everything, and then it hides for the rest of the month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malakai View Post

Thread Information