Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

For those times where you feel that Raging River won't make the board convoluted enough:
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

But on a slightly serious note, this guy at least seems interesting:

Probably too delicate a body and too much to activate off the bat to really be a Legacy playable. But, it is a long-term value engine if you opponent somehow can't get rid of it.

(I thought we had a post about this card already, but it seems not?)

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    But on a slightly serious note, this guy at least seems interesting:
    https://i.imgur.com/d21CCTP.png

Probably too delicate a body and too much to activate off the bat to really be a Legacy playable. But, it is a long-term value engine if you opponent somehow can't get rid of it.

(I thought we had a post about this card already, but it seems not?)
    It ends the game if the cards gives additional untap and attack like Fury of the Horde or Time Warp.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Remind me: The egg-shaped ones are legal for tournament play, while the acorn ones are illegal? Or was if the other way around? Either way, what a stupid way to design a set.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Remind me: The egg-shaped ones are legal for tournament play, while the acorn ones are illegal? Or was if the other way around? Either way, what a stupid way to design a set.
    Yes, the normal shaped holofoil ones are Eternal-format legal. The Acorn-shaped holofoil ones are only Un-legal (i.e. legal in casual formats). If it has no Holofoil, it is Eternal legal as well.

And yes, it is stupid. Un-sets are extremely stupid and only more so when they are also non-Un-sets at the same time. Welcome to 2022, everyone.

Sorta: Acorn marks are illegal.
    The normal oval marks are legal like you said but so are un-marked cards (like commons/uncommons)

Acorn is illegal, and I concur that it's a poor design choice and implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    it's a poor design choice and implementation.
    The one thing that is a constant at clowns of the coast.

Another bad combo is that Saw in Half + Dualcaster Mage produces infinitely many 1/1 copies of Dualcaster Mage if there's an initial target for Saw In Half.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I hope this gets a legal, functional reprint at some point because it's actually a cool design.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I hope this gets a legal, functional reprint at some point because it's actually a cool design.
    I kind of doubt it, on the stream today, MaRo said something to the effect of that card ending up with the Acorn because it did "crazy things in Legacy" or something like that.

http://mythicspoiler.com/unf/cards/nearbyplanet.jpg

Seems pretty OP for a fetchable land.

It's a fetchable post land that makes all 5 colors and turns on all Tron lands. It can't be printed (for now).

"and all those Urza's ones" is inching closer to the reminder text (This works.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    "and all those Urza's ones" is inching closer to the reminder text (This works.)
    (We have changed the rules to make this work, we just haven't figured how yet.)

Is Magar of the Magic Strings the first to make a face-down card on the battlefield not a 2/2, or am I forgetting a card or cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    Is Magar of the Magic Strings the first to make a face-down card on the battlefield not a 2/2, or am I forgetting a card or cards?
    DFCs, and there's a manifest card that adds counters but those don't really count.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    DFCs, and there's a manifest card that adds counters but those don't really count.
    Speaking of DFCs and this new card, how does this new card work with them? I assume they intend Magar to mean that the card is just a 3/3, but are there rules for the back side of DFCs being face up?

A quick search on Scryfall seems to show 12 instants on the front side (all with lands on the back) and ~12 sorceries (all but one with lands on the back [1 with a creature]). (https://scryfall.com/search?q=is%3AD...rid&order=name)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    Speaking of DFCs and this new card, how does this new card work with them? I assume they intend Magar to mean that the card is just a 3/3, but are there rules for the back side of DFCs being face up?

A quick search on Scryfall seems to show 12 instants on the front side (all with lands on the back) and ~12 sorceries (all but one with lands on the back [1 with a creature]). (https://scryfall.com/search?q=is%3AD...rid&order=name)
    I think they changed it to they work like normal cards.
    The rule used to be that if you were going to have a card etb face down instead it wouldn't enter at all. (Mask players know the struggle!)

712.10b If a player is instructed to put a modal double-faced card onto the battlefield and its front face isn’t a permanent card, the card stays in its current zone.

712.11. If an effect allows a player to cast a double-faced card as a face-down creature spell, or if a double-faced card enters the battlefield face down, it will have the characteristics given to it by the rule or effect that caused it to be face down. That card remains hidden, using a face-down substitute card (see rule 714) and/or opaque sleeves. See rule 708, “Face-Down Spells and Permanents.”

Thread Information