Page 121 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124 LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 2465

Thread: [Primer] Eldrazi Stompy

Apr 2018
    France

Re: [Primer] Eldrazi Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Hey all I am back for those who remember me, never sold my cards, gonna pick it up again as I have a new job. Expect insight from me soon!
    Hi welcome back :)
    I've been wondering where have you been, and I was waiting for your opinion about the deck in the new shaping meta.

I recently won a FNM (maybe 3 weeks ago) but I was lucky in my draw and the unluck of my opponents. (the best example is my infect opponent unable to find a single boost for 5 turns (!) )

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Hey all I am back for those who remember me, never sold my cards, gonna pick it up again as I have a new job. Expect insight from me soon!
    Are you still planning on publishing a sideboard guide at some point?
    Or, are you in the process of modifying one due to meta changes?

Thanks.
    Keith

No one's talking about Mengucci's article? :)

https://www.channelfireball.com/arti...ldrazi-stompy/

He played Eldrazi at PT25 and wrote a deck guide. I'm keen to give this list a whirl at my local Legacy tournament this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by TonTo View Post
    No one's talking about Mengucci's article? :)

https://www.channelfireball.com/arti...ldrazi-stompy/

He played Eldrazi at PT25 and wrote a deck guide. I'm keen to give this list a whirl at my local Legacy tournament this weekend.
    The article didn't impress me, to be fair.
    1. He played the go-to shell, so he doesn't have an interesting take on the deck or any relevant insight on the decklist, not even a tiny tech to pick up.
    2. There's no report. He's like: "yeah, the deck is good, some have smashed with it, i played it, i had mild success and won't play it again, cya."
    3. His sideboard guide is well done, if a bit incomplete, but he's said known stuff. Many users in this thread have done better.

You don't need to be impressed by new tech or innovations. Just be comforted by the fact that the best player to ever touch this deck tested it and took it to the pro tour, and agrees that the stock list is basically perfect.

May 2012
    New Jersey

You don't need to be impressed by new tech or innovations. Just be comforted by the fact that the best player to ever touch this deck tested it and took it to the pro tour, and agrees that the stock list is basically perfect.
    I seriously hope that you’re referring to Kai Budde and not Gooch..

1.Of course I don't need to be impressed about new teches and innovations, I didn't say that's all I care about. I said the article isn't a good read because he's not came up with innovations but also not reporting interesting gameplay informations or even caring to explain why the consensus list is "practically perfect".

2. No, I'm not comforted with Mengucci saying the stock list is good. The dude has won some online leagues then brought the deck to a tournament and didn't really do super well. He then wrote an article about it, but keeping extremely quiet about what didn't work for him. He also answered in the comments that he won't play the deck again. Lastly, he is not even remotely close to the best Eldrazi placement in the Pro Tour 25h. I'd rather read the comments of people who made top8 with the deck.

3. Me being impressed or comforted about the stock list has nothing to do with the fact that the article was a poor read and many people in this thread have written much more informative posts about Eldrazi stompy. I am a person whose job is reading and I like when I read good things. Of course I like the fact that the stock list is good, but I can realize that by myself clicking on any website that provides results.

4. Other reasons that seem to indicate the article is not worth reading may be:
    a. You needing to point out that such article exists
    b. Me being the only one who answered
    c. You being able to accurately summarise the article in two sentences and a half ("He played the deck, he said it's perfect, he's got a SB guide")

Sorry if I seem harsh, but man, that answer was so simplicistic.
    Last edited by Cave; 08-19-2018 at 06:28 AM.

A little innovation for our deck. Seems everyone is just playing stock lists and not trying something else.
    We’re almost at the third page lol

Quote Originally Posted by cddungan View Post
    A little innovation for our deck. Seems everyone is just playing stock lists and not trying something else.
    We’re almost at the third page lol

Nice.
    Why not the 4th Cavern of Souls ? Especially if you don't want your Scourges to be countered in the first place.
    Does the Serum package work, providing more explosive hands ?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDissent View Post
    Nice.
    Why not the 4th Cavern of Souls ? Especially if you don't want your Scourges to be countered in the first place.
    Need to make space for more utility lands. 3 Cavern of Souls is actually enough. The Scavenger Grounds are there as maindeck Graveyard hate plus you get to exile your Scourges which died naturally thru combat or got countered.

Yes, by my experience playing Eldrazi since its debut from OGW, the first 4 Turns and the opening hand defines how the game would flow. Serum Powder gives you better chances to draw a T1 Chalice hand or a very aggressive hand.

This aspect also improves your sideboarding as more Mulligan chances can ensure you have your sideboard cards for every specific matchup.

With Serum Powder, there’s a chance that you’ll have 8-9 cards in hand (including the Eternal Scourges which get exiled with the Powder)

Plus, you got maindeck answer to Blood Moon even if it is 3 mana to cast.

I am more interested in recent midrange list which TonyMontana is piloting.
    I can see SoFaI and SoFaF in SB and wonder what matchups they are meant for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryoclasm View Post
    I am more interested in recent midrange list which TonyMontana is piloting.
    I can see SoFaI and SoFaF in SB and wonder what matchups they are meant for.
    This is the eldrazi stompy thread. It's a fast-paced stompy deck that aims for quick disruption and unsustainable clock. The list you're referring to belongs to the Big Eldrazi archetype, a slower, ramp-oriented version that aims to overpower its opponent with stronger cards. You might wanna pay this thread a visit.

Oct 2017
    Tampere, Finland

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    2 Endbringer
    4 Endless One
    3 Eye of Ugin
    2 Karakas
    3 Matter Reshaper
    2 Mishra's Factory
    4 Reality Smasher
    3 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Wasteland
    Sideboard
    1 All Is Dust
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Warping Wail

Yay/nay?

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by jolssoni View Post
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    3 Eye of Ugin
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Mishra's Factory
    2 Karakas

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    2 Endbringer
    4 Endless One
    3 Matter Reshaper
    4 Reality Smasher
    3 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Walking Ballista

Sideboard
    1 All Is Dust
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Warping Wail

Yay/nay?
    I think 4 Walking Ballista are too many especially if you just run 2 City of Traitors and only 1 Urborg which is super helpful for taping Eye of Ugin for Ballista and it makes also Ancient Tomb not dead if your life total is very low. I personally play 2 Ballista 2 Dismember and I am very happy with this configuration since Dismember is a great tempo card and is the only card which gets rid of Angler, Goyf, Shadow or oposing Eldrazis, even a Batterskull token...

2 Karakas are a bit to many for my taste but if your´re meta is full of BR Reanimator/Sneak Show/Dark Depts than it´s reasonable of course. Sometimes you just have shitty hands with more than 2 non-colorless lands like Eye of Ugin + Karakas/Urborg which means just cant cast your stuff with colorless mana...

Otherwise the list looks ok and the sideboard has the usual stuff...
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

I'm a long time Eldrazi player and I seriously doubt this deck is still good enough... . I've been playing the deck the last year in every tournament and it simply feels lackluster compared to other decks.
    It simply has so many poor to bad matchups: storm (unless you happen to draw chalice literally every time), infect, dredge, Show and Tell, any deck with Loam and/or Wasteland, Lands, aggro delver decks with Price of Progress maindeck, enchantress, Blood Moon decks, even Miracles is unfavorable since a lot of times they main board Back to Basics now, their SB is better than ours and Mentor is still a house... .
    Chalice is a strong card, but more often than not, you won't see it unless it's already too late... . And even if you do play it early on, a lot of decks can still play around it.
    With Assassin's Trophy looking to become a staple, Eldrazi gets even worse.

Jun 2012
    Konstanz, Germany

Wow, how did this thread fall all the way to the second page?

I took my list to the Win a Dual tournament No. 30 in Tübingen, Germany. 5-2, 9th of 66 players and pretty happy with everything.

List:
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    4 Matter Reshaper
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    2 Endbringer
    4 Endless One
    4 Walking Ballista
    2 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Dismember

4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Wasteland
    3 Mishra's Factory
    1 Karakas
    3 Eye of Ugin

SB
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Ulamog, the Endless Hunger
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    2 Ratchet Bomb

In testing, we found that Ballista is very good right now, in our meta. Lots of DnT and decks that play Strixes. It also helps get the last few points of damage in, can be cast under Blood Moon etc. Since the deck becomes a little more mana hungry, we decided to cut a SSG for the 26th land, and we found that we want the third City - and to be honest, I think that mattered a lot. Yes, you get more land heavy draws, but I suddenly cared less if I was wastelanded and could more reliably activate Eye if games got long.

The games are a bit of a blur now, but I beat: Goblins, Miracles, Miracles, Maverick, and another blue deck, and lost to an unusual Storm list and Miracles with Main Back to Basics.

A few notables:

I made the mistake to put the Storm player on BUG since they T1 fetched for Tropical and Pondered, T2 land, T3 killed me. I win G2 off Thorn and a timely Ratchet Bomb that killed their LED and Petal. G3, I never get to play a turn.

I lost the deciding game against one Miracles Opponent because he had T3 B2B and Force for my T2 Thought-Knot. My hand was subpar and I should've mulled, but not sure if I ever can beat Miracles on the play with T2 force and T3 B2B.

Against a different Miracles opponent, in the deciding game, I got AK into Terminus'd with a TKS trigger on the stack. Saw a hand of 2x Swords, Force, Counterbalance, Counterspell, two lands with them at 4. I had a Cavern on Eldrazi, but two Ballista in hand. Took Counterspell, played the first ballista, which he had to force, and then proceeded to play the second ballista next turn, which was lethal. Ballistas are good.

I still love the deck, and since I keep getting fairly good results with it, I'll keep playing it.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Yesterday I wanted to play something powerful for change and ended up sleeving my favorite iteration of eldrazi. This got me into top8 of Finnish legacy champs (82 or so players.)

My list is based on that sweet japanese decklist from about a year ago, ditching mimics and adding 6-drops and monoliths. I couldn't make my mind on what to cut to add a basic for Assassin's Trophy so maindeck is 61 cards. Many people play only 3 Cities but since so much of the decks power comes from that turn 1 disruption, I see no point in less than a playset.

Matchups:

R1 UB Shadow 0-2
    R2 Sneak and Show 2-0
    R3 Aluren 2-1
    R4 Burn 2-0, opponent got very upset, borderline aggressive
    R5 Eldrazi-post 2-0
    R6 Miracles 2-1
    R7 ID
    Quarterfinal: UW Stoneblade 1-2

I sequenced a number of plays wrong, made a few suboptimal choices in combat and probably mulliganed a few times when I shouldn't have and vice versa. I also read a few sketchy situations correct and chose to play around the right, less obvious things a few times. All in all quite a solid run with my normal ups and downs. Deck was running smooth and I felt confident in most of the matchups. Back to Basics is something I hate to play against but the deck is perfectly capable of sculpting a game where BtB is mostly irrelevant.

The list:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Eye of Ugin
    4 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Wastes
    4 Endbringer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Matter Reshaper
    3 Oblivion Sower
    2 Endless One
    1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Grim Monolith
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass

//Sideboard
    SB: 2 Dismember
    SB: 3 All Is Dust
    SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
    SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb
    SB: 2 Warping Wail
    SB: 2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Jun 2012
    Konstanz, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post

My list is based on that sweet japanese decklist from about a year ago, ditching mimics and adding 6-drops and monoliths. I couldn't make my mind on what to cut to add a basic for Assassin's Trophy so maindeck is 61 cards. Many people play only 3 Cities but since so much of the decks power comes from that turn 1 disruption, I see no point in less than a playset.
    I like that thinking :) Thanks for the report and list.

Didn't you miss Ballista at all? Also, how were the MD Thorns for you?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDissent View Post
    Nice.
    Still playing this with the powders?
    -rob

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by wortwelt View Post
    I like that thinking :) Thanks for the report and list.

Didn't you miss Ballista at all? Also, how were the MD Thorns for you?
    I don't see Ballista in this deck. It's not eldrazi so you can hardly cheat on mana. Same with Wurmcoil Engine, which is close to uncastable.

Thorns were ok. Either they ate Fow or bought time to take the game. Of course sometimes they are plain dead. Such is this game.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Thread Information