Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal: The Brainstorm Blues

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Re: usa VS europe : the E penis chalenge

Quote Originally Posted by Plm View Post
    Reading is tech :
    "Three Steps Forward, and Two Steps Back: North American Defeatism and the Dominance of Brainstorm," a rebuttal by Everyday Eternal host Matt Pavlic.

Look at the current decks in the Legacy metagame on a world scale – where did they originate? Who designed them? Where were decks tuned and popularized? Miracles, Shardless BUG, Imperial Painter, Patriot Delver, Elves, Death and Taxes, Nic Fit, OmniTell, and others are all European creations or saw many more finishes in Europe before people caught on in America.
    Wow, you're right! Reading is tech!
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal: The Brainstorm Blues

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    The latter is pretty demonstrably wrong by virtue of the fact that almost all of the top tier decks have originated in the US.
    Could you list all of said decks including their creator, then?

All I can see in regard to that topic so far is alot of hyperbole and dickwaving without concrete data. Since I assume you have said data, showcase them and we can all be happy.

"Three Steps Forward, and Two Steps Back: North American Defeatism and the Dominance of Brainstorm," a rebuttal by Everyday Eternal host Matt Pavlic.

Look at the current decks in the Legacy metagame on a world scale – where did they originate? Who designed them? Where were decks tuned and popularized? Miracles, Shardless BUG, Imperial Painter, Patriot Delver, Elves, Death and Taxes, Nic Fit, OmniTell, and others are all European creations or saw many more finishes in Europe before people caught on in America.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

havent heard the cast yet.

havent read any posts.

just wanted to say.

GOOD JOB ON THE LANDS THERE!
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Matsaya View Post
    And we know which the author means because they then go on to say that only a few decks are American (wrongly.) Hey, guess what, conversational implicature exists, isn't that a load off everyone's mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Could you list all of said decks including their creator, then?

All I can see in regard to that topic so far is alot of hyperbole and dickwaving without concrete data. Since I assume you have said data, showcase them and we can all be happy.
    There's a lot of discussion about it in this thread.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Efficient white creatures with oppressive mana denial was built by James Wong at the Georgia Tech student center food courts in 1994. None of you invented anything. You just had the free time to post it on a message board, write a primer and answer dumb questions.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

There's a lot of discussion about it in this thread.
    That's extremely vague since people attribute it to different people. And what are "almost all top decks", as you claim it?

When I listened to this podcast and Koby was talking about Hoogland's style as a competitive player, I was waiting for him to call him a scrub. Then it never happened. I guess Mr. Kory's more classy when it comes discussions with voice But either way, I don't think of Mr Hoogland as a pure spike. I think he's got a good amount of Johnny in him as well as he tends to gravitate towards rogue and/or non-tier one strategies. What he plays in modern, UR Delver, is Tier 1.5 at best. I'm guessing he's frustrated with legacy because he feels like he cannot actually play below Tier 1 decks and expect to win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix View Post
    GOOD JOB ON THE LANDS THERE!
    I did use your list as a model. (No Thickets, Smokestack) Never played Miracles so Smokestack was not exercised, and for that I was sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslayer_90 View Post
    When I listened to this podcast and Koby was talking about Hoogland's style as a competitive player, I was waiting for him to call him a scrub. Then it never happened. I guess Mr. Kory's more classy when it comes discussions with voice But either way, I don't think of Mr Hoogland as a pure spike. I think he's got a good amount of Johnny in him as well as he tends to gravitate towards rogue and/or non-tier one strategies. What he plays in modern, UR Delver, is Tier 1.5 at best. I'm guessing he's frustrated with legacy because he feels like he cannot actually play below Tier 1 decks and expect to win.
    I don't think Mr Hoogland is a Scrub, but rather his playstyle lends to scrub decisions and mindsets (deck selection, setting up walls to limit his potential, ideas about competitiveness, etc). He is a skilled player with a very specific way to approach Magic formats. Given enough motivation to go beyond these limitations, he could conceivably be a Pro Tour caliber player. I do find the irony of his strong mathematics background and his frustration with variance in the game of Magic to be quite comical.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jan 2014
    Berlin, Germany

Hello,

for funy German Names of magic cards there was also the Spirit Monger called Röhrender Reliops which makes Sens when you read it from the back
    as Rörhender Spoiler or the good old Samenschaukel Hexe which is called Seedcradle Witch in English.

for the podcast a whole I like it and think it is a good start in showing were the problem really liy in our Legacy Metagame.

Best Regards Teveshszat

Thread Information