Thread: Jupiter Games 40 Duals 14th Place with UGB Thresh

Pithing Needle naming Vizzerdrix
    Jun 2009
    NYC

Jupiter Games 40 Duals 14th Place with UGB Thresh

Let me take you through a journey of time and space, where our heroes sling cardboard and our villains 0-2 drop.

So Alex, Mike, Sam and yours truly decide we should try our luck at this place in Vestal, where some dual lands are on the line. I decide on UGB Thresh a my weapon of choice, namely because I hear this meta is pretty highly developed, and it just so happens to stomp on R/B Goblins and 4c Countertop, which have been pretty popular as of late.

After getting some food at Tully's, heavy drinking and playtesting to a soundtrack of 80's hits, and some woman getting banged in the next room, its lights out for Team ENOCH. We awake to beer farts and a desire to crush the opposition. Fast forward to registration and pairings, and we're out of the gate.

My decklist for reference:

// Lands
    4 [TE] Wasteland
    4 [R] Tropical Island
    4 [R] Underground Sea
    4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
    2 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest

// Creatures
    4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
    4 [OD] Nimble Mongoose
    4 [RAV] Dark Confidant

// Spells
    4 [M10] Ponder
    4 [SC] Stifle
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    4 [CST] Brainstorm
    2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    1 [OD] Ghastly Demise
    2 [BD] Diabolic Edict
    2 [ON] Smother
    4 [NE] Daze
    3 [DIS] Spell Snare

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    SB: 2 [TSP] Krosan Grip
    SB: 3 [4E] Blue Elemental Blast
    SB: 3 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
    SB: 3 [ZEN] Disfigure
    SB: 1 [MI] Mind Harness
    SB: 1 [PS] Rushing River
    SB: 1 [SHM] Faerie Macabre

Round 1 – James Pogue with Zoo

So this is a rough matchup, due to the high amount of threat density and removal. I am confidant (hehe) in my approach however, when I have EE set on 1 for this two Nacatls AND the Stifle for his Pridemage. Not like it matters though, because even after you blow up the board, Zoo just plays Lavamancer, Goyf and Steplynx followed up with a Fireblast finish.
    G2 was more of the same, 2 for 1ing him with EE, when he follows up with a Choke and I don't have the counterspell. Oh well, Magic is like that sometimes. He ends up in 12th place, I think.

Round 2 – Steven Houdlette with 4 color Counterbalance

G1 we trade 1 for 1 in the beginning, with my mongoose cashing in for 1 plenty of times. Most of my other threats get sent farming, and after a firespout he casts Control Magic (!) on my goyf, causing me to have to Ghastly Demise it, much to the chagrin of the match's onlookers. Lame. He lands a Jace and starts doing what his deck does, but he can't play Counterbalance because I have EE set on 2. Game ends when I Stifle Jace's ultimate and land a mongoose. He must have cast 3 Brainstorms afterwords looking for the Firespout, but I had the Force anyway.
    G2 Was Stifle and Bob. That's all she wrote for this one, that combo will take apart most Counterbalance decks.

Round 3 – James “Flez” Syed with Burn (and Brainstorms)

Flez was a cool dude, and I like his take on the classic burn list. G1 Opens with Mountain Lava Spike and I am less than thrilled. Bobs are more or less dead in this matchup which is unfortunate. I keep a threat heavy hand and get there.
    Between games I see Nightmare sitting across from me, yelling at some dude for putting Strip Mine and Crucible of Worlds in his EDH deck, because, to paraphrase, “Its a competitive play in a casual format.” I interject, saying how I hate that format, because whenever anyone tries to win, they get yelled at for being a douche bag. Nightmare starts yelling at me, claiming about how you are supposed to win but not in a douche bag way. My opponent is besides himself with laughter.
    G2 Was interesting, when he finally shows me the Volcanic Island. Now I have to think about Daze and stuff and it screw up the math. Thankfully he is only running brainstorms, and I'm OK with that. After some stack battle shenanigans, the game ends in his favor with him at 1 life. Sigh.
    G3 Was the Stifle/Waste package getting there for me, as most of his relevant burn spells are binned with tax effects. He tries to take it with a big finish, but I have all the answers. Great match.

Round 4 – John Koprowski with ANT

This guy had the Flu or something, and I felt really bad for him. But that wasn't going to stop me from crushing his Dual land dreams. I used to play ANT religiously so I'm very familiar with which spells to counter, and I believe that makes me favored here, no matter what the storm junkies will pontificate to you.
    G1 He opens with Swamp Duress, and takes my Spell Snare. So I'm thinking he is either Combo or some Black control deck. His turn two yields yet another Swamp Duress, taking my Stifle, so I put him on Mono Black Control. On my second turn I tap out for Big Boy Bobby Brown to recoup card advantage. He IGG-Loops next turn and I look at the Stifle and Spell Snare in my graveyard with disdain.
    G2 I have like all the counterspells in my deck in my opening hand and it feels good man. We play footsie for a bit with Duress effects and dueling Bobs, but I know better and counter the right spells. He goes for the Mind Twist effect with Iggy, which is probably the right call, but my confidant gets there.
    G3 My opponent loses to himself. A reminder to all storm players: EAT YOUR DAMN WHEATIES. That deck is super powerful, but when you kill yourself in your own IGG-loop you give other storm players a bad name. Nice dude though, and I hope you are feeling better.

Round 5 – Randall Lam with Excalibur

Great player, he made little to no mistakes. I take G1 on the back of my decks sheer awesomeness, and he was never really in it.
    G2 Was his, when he resolved a Jace, and I got fate-sealed into all the wrong cards. I also make a fatal misplay by running out EE on 1 too early. The idea was to keep him off his mana dorks, but he just shuffled them away.
    G3 Was mine with again the Stifle and Bob marriage made in heaven. At one point I forgot to make my land drop, and got a warning for to many cards in hand. 1 Discard at random (Force of Will), and a warning later, I proceed to take the match. My bad on that Randall. You're a great player, and I always love the opportunity to sling cards with players of your caliber.

Round 6 – Jon Barber with BGW Rock

He takes both games. The Rock > Tempo decks. G1 was a turn one Bob, while I stare at a Ghastly Demise in my hand. Awkward.
    G2 Was a mull to 6 for me, then a Gerrard's Verdict from him, and that's all she wrote folks.
    Ironically, my Original opponent before the massive repairings for this round was Josh Cicio playing 4c Counterbalance. I'm sure your a great player Josh, seeing as how you top 8'ed and all, but I'd have much rather played against your deck than the Rock. Grats anyway dude.

Round 7 – Nick Wilbur with R/B Goblins

I finally win a die roll! Awesome! Nick high-fives me and we keep our 7's.
    G1 Nick opens with a waste on my trop, which I bounce back with a daze on my brainstorm. Turn 1 waste usually means something like Pox, or a waste heavy goblins hand. I put him on the latter, but fail to find any other colored mana sources, and he wastes me again. Word.
    G2 Its my turn to use wasteland. Get there.
    G3 Stifle and Waste win me the game. Dark Confidant, I'm officially gay for you.

All in all a great tourney, with great players, and Grats to all in the top 8. You guys earned it.
    Props:
    Tully's 23oz beer
    Stifle + Dark Confidant
    Alex for driving
    Eli's mom for cooking amazing Baklava

Slops:
    The Rock; fuck that deck.
    Me, for forgetting to play my land that turn.
    Magic players who don't practice proper hygiene. You know who you are, take a fucking shower.
    Elder Dragon Highlander
    Only posts when drunk.

Re: Jupiter Games 40 Duals 14th Place with UGB Thresh

Awesome finish man, congrats again. Team ENOCH ftw. Dear leader will be so proud of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scordata View Post
    On my second turn I tap out for Big Boy Bobby Brown
    I'm glad this is catching on. It will never be unfunny ever and it's infinitely more acceptable than "the goose is loose."

Also, the obligatory TEAM ENOCH THEME SONG
    Great success!

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Glad to read such a good report! I'm also glad Rock is crushing your hopes and dreams :D

What did you take home?

-Matt

Pithing Needle naming Vizzerdrix
    Jun 2009
    NYC

Misty Rainforests for the lulz.
    Man, why won't the Rock just go away? It doesn't even have any friends.

Like, you know that feeling when you are walking outside and you step in dog shit?
    Thats the exact feeling i have when my opponent opens with Land, Mox diamond, Dark Confidant.
    Only posts when drunk.

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

Misty Rainforests for the lulz.

Like, you know that feeling when you are walking outside and you step in dog shit?
    Thats the exact feeling i have when my opponent opens with Land, Mox diamond, Dark Confidant.
    LOL, That is really funny! Thanks for the (entertaining and) informative report.

Simple Jack Daniel's
    Apr 2009
    San Diego, CA

Sigged.

Also, gratz on your finish, even though I love my Tombstalkers too much to switch from Team America to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Terramorphic Expanse combines well with Urborg, tapping all over the place for black mana and then BOOM you fetch a Plains and blow them out with Ramosian Rally.

Congrats man the trip was a blast thanks for the shout out for driving

p.s. Special thanks to mike for staying up the whole drive

go team enoch

Thread Information