Thread: Mono-Green Stompy

Mono-Green Stompy

It's not particularly good, but it is fun, and it can be fairly explosive. It definitely catches people by surprise! (Note: this is 'stompy' in the classic sense, not the new-fangled Faerie Stompy-inspired sense.)

It's straightforward and easy to play: dump your hand and attack, attack, attack.

Creatures: 35

4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Hexdrinker
    4 Endurance
    3 Noble Hierarch
    3 Ignoble Hierarch
    3 Scryb Ranger
    3 Predator Ooze
    3 Allosaurus Shepherd
    3 Kitchen Finks
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Vigor
    1 Ulvenwald Tracker
    1 Tajuru Preserver
    1 Thrashing Brontodon

Spells: 8

4 Song of the Dryads
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

Lands: 18

4 Gaea's Cradle
    14 Forest

Sideboard:

4 Weather the Storm
    3 Reclamation Sage
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Gaea's Blessing
    1 Bane of Progress

Like I said, it's not very good, and I don't think it ever will be. But how can it be better?
    Last edited by Goaswerfraiejen; 08-27-2021 at 02:04 PM.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Re: Mono-Green Stompy

Natural order and stax elements. I don’t recall the thread where I posted a list, but it was based around trinity green.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    Natural order and stax elements. I don’t recall the thread where I posted a list, but it was based around trinity green.
    WeaponX, your Trinity Green deck from way back in, I wanna say 2014, is at MTG Salvation. That deck was really good and it inspired me to perfect it with a Winter Orb / Root Maze soft lock which I worked on for the better part of a year. My “Root Maze / Winter Orb” had flaws though. Your build was much better.

Your build ran Chalice + Trinisphere with Ancient Tomb and powered out Titania, Protector Of Argoth with a number of other fatties such as Thragtusk. If I’m remembering right Tangle Wire was there too. I could see an updated list of your build being hugely successful with all of the new cards. Especially Urza’s Saga.

Found the link. This deck was dirty!
    http://https://www.mtgsalvation.com/...green-for-2014
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

I agree that's a better deck (and also quite fun!), and that it merits a return. But:

Quote Originally Posted by Goaswerfraiejen View Post
    this is 'stompy' in the classic sense, not the new-fangled Faerie Stompy-inspired sense.

Classic stompy was never particularly good, because it had virtually no mid- or late-game. It just exploited a very low mana curve to stomp face as quickly as it could. (Think: infect decks nowadays.)
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

I agree that's a better deck (and also quite fun!), and that it merits a return. But:

Classic stompy was never particularly good, because it had virtually no mid- or late-game. It just exploited a very low mana curve to stomp face as quickly as it could. (Think: infect decks nowadays.)
    That’s not how infect is nowadays, it is a tempo-combo deck.

Affinity and Madness have shown that pure aggro can work in legacy. But they both have insane ways of cheating on mana (led or affinity) and a way to reload (thoughtcast and anjes ravager).

Cradle is pretty awesome, but you might want a way to reload. Coco or tireless tracker?

But probably it’s better to just play elves with a bunch of lords instead of NO. Quirion ranger plus Yavimaya is greens best way to cheat on mana.

Sep 2011

Stompy was also about fast beatdown aggro. This is more midrange using creatures for mana ramp. None of the threats are that scary at the beginning, so you are building up mana towards a midrange threat.

At that point, why not run 3x Natural Order into a 1x Progenitus (backup targets = Carnage Tyrant, Archon of Valor's Reach)? It's an easy T3 payoff for your mana dork, and Allosaurus makes it uncounterable.

Another route could be to play more value creatures like Elvish Reclaimer and use a GSZ toolbox to get silver bullets like Questing Beast, Collector Ouphe, Scavenging Ooze, Tireless Tracker.

Unfortunately the NO strategy ends up being a worse version of Elves, and the Reclaimer GSZ toolbox strategy ends up being a worse version of Maverick/GW Depths.

Stepping back a bit, ask yourself what can Mono Green creatures offer that other decks can't do? That's what you should be trying to maximize here. (4x Steel Leaf Champion?)
    It's probably correct to run 4x Endurance maindeck (like you are) and multiple Choke in the SB.

I remember the old school mono green Stompy. That was back when “Stompy” didn’t mean Chalice + Ancient Tomb. That old build ran Rogue Elephants and Ogres.

I think with your build a Lord of some sort might not be bad. How good are the Hierarchs when you have 35 weenies? I feel like Steel Leaf Champion would be really good here. A 5/4 beater with evasion for only 3 mana seems tight!

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

I’m confused now. So you don’t want to try to improve a mono green deck?
    The Parfait Meta-Game

I’m confused now. So you don’t want to try to improve a mono green deck?
    Improvements that fit the theme. I'm not interested in green faerie stompy, even if that's a better deck, because that's fundamentally different from classic stompy.

RIP Ari

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

So you just want tribal elves with craterhoof behemoth then?
    The Parfait Meta-Game

So you just want tribal elves with craterhoof behemoth then?
    No. Laser Brains has the right idea.

Frankly, it's not a very difficult one to grasp. I'm surprised you're struggling so much with it. Was I unclear somewhere about my aims and very modest hopes for the deck? Or have you got some beef with me that I'm not privy to?

RIP Ari

The old school build was a Vintage deck, I wanna say, around late 90’s early 2000’s. It was a super fast swarm deck. Back then Stompy didn’t mean Chalice/Tomb. Sort of like how “thongs” in the 80’s meant flip flops (sandals) and today it refers to underwear that rides up your ass. I’m not sure why Stompy means Chalice/Tomb, or how that changed.

I was however thinking about this deck earlier and brought it up to my buddy. We were thinking your deck and deck’s like this need some disruption and/or something that will create tempo. Tangle Wire in a swarm deck with cheap cc beats almost creates a Time Walk sort of effect. If you can sneak out a bunch of cheap early game threats and then jam a Tangle Wire it buys you turns to not only beat down but cast more cheap beats.

Winter Orb here doesn’t suck at all. I’d put it on the side though. Delver decks it does nothing against. With all of your mana accelerator dudes, 2x main deck Trinisphere bombs seems good. Get that tempo advantage, more creatures than your opponent etc.. and then lock em down with Trinisphere and close out your deal.

I do think, like you said, you know it’s not a ground breaking deck. An updated Trinity Green deck I could see actually see winning tournaments though. This deck however probably won’t do that but you were just looking for opinions to improve it in its current form.

Without adding too many Stax elements I’d go 4x Tangle Wire for sure. Some where in there I’d try to jam Steel Leaf Champion. He’s too good, but he requires you to be playing mono green therefore I see that’s why we never see him in Legacy.

Nevermind.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

I am familiar with original stompy. I’ve played a lot of ghazban ogres and bounty of the hunt as an example. The question you posed was how to make it better. I’m sorry you don’t like the response on how to make it better.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

I am familiar with original stompy. I’ve played a lot of ghazban ogres and bounty of the hunt as an example. The question you posed was how to make it better. I’m sorry you don’t like the response on how to make it better.
    The problem is that your 'it' refers to something else. It's like posting in the labyrinth thread by saying the deck should just become Aluren. Yes, Aluren is better. But that misses the point entirely.

Again, I'm not trying to make this into a competitive deck. Just increase its consistency.

RIP Ari

If I were you, I'd try to make use of the interaction between Experiment One/Pelt Collector and Greenbelt Rampager.

Turn 1: Forest, Experiment One
    Turn 2: Gaea's Cradle; cast Greenbelt Rampager using the Forest. With Greenbelt's ETB on the stack, tap Cradle for GG. Allow Experiment One to get a counter and Greenbelt to return to your hand. Using the GG, recast Greenbelt twice more. On the third casting of Greenbelt, you'll have a 4/4 Experiment One that can attack and a 3/4 Greenbelt that sticks in play.

Endurance interacts well with Pelt Collector (+2/+2) and Experiment One (+1/+1).

You could consider Narnam Renegade. I dunno if it can reliable enough, but Greenbelt Rampager helps. If you do get Narnam working, Avatar of the Resolute starts looking good (assuming you're doing the thing with Experiment One and Pelt Collector).

I'd probably have one Rhonas the Indomitable and one Ghalta, Primal Hunger in my MGS deck.

I was searching Scryfall and discovered that Werewolf Pack Leader was just printed. If you just want to play a no-frills green aggro deck, this seems like a two-drop you want.

Sep 2011

The original "Stompy" deck ran cards like Rogue Elephant, Ghazban Ogre and Harvest Wurm. You could conceivably build the same sort of deck with newer creatures. +1/+1 counters could be a theme. Dryad Militant is also criminally underplayed as a hatebear that disrupts blue decks.

If you want to continue down that path, the big thing is to have some sort of plan vs combo. 4x Endurance helps a lot against the graveyard-based combo decks, GSZ into Collector Ouphe helps vs artifact-based decks, but there's still stuff like SneakShow/OmniTell and Storm. You can't race them so you need at least a strong SB plan for them.

//Beatdown: 33
    4 Pelt Collector
    4 Experiment One
    4 Narnam Renegade
    4 Greenbelt Rampager
    2 Hexdrinker
    1 Ulvenwald Tracker
    4 Werewolf Pack Leader
    4 Avatar of the Resolute
    4 Endurance
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Ghalta, Primal Hunger

//Spells: 8
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Once Upon A Time

//Lands: 19
    3 Gaea's Cradle
    2 Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
    1 Dryad Arbor
    3 Wooded Foothills
    3 Windswept Heath
    7 Forest

//Sideboard: 15
    4 Dryad Militant
    4 Weather the Storm
    3 Force of Vigor
    3 Song of the Dryads
    1 Collector Ouphe

Is that enough?
    This still scoops to EOT Marit Lage.

> Marit Lage

Endurance and Avatar of the Resolute have reach. If you fit in a Quirion Ranger or two (over... gee... an Ulvenwald Tracker and a Forest...?), then you could untap reach critters at instant speed during the opponent’s combat step. It’s not an awful card in its own right, being essentially a mana dork when you’re out of land drops. It helps Narnam Renegade. And it was in the original stompy deck, if we care :-)

You could play a singleton Mindbender Spores in the SB. With OuaT and GSZ you can find it (and be laughed at by your opponent) consistently.

Tangle Wire doesn't suck in a deck full of cheap cc weenies. You can sneak out a few and slap down Tangle Wire. It buys you tempo and puts you a turn ahead. Sometimes two turns ahead.

Tangle Wire also goes nicely with Dwynen's Elite and gives you extra permanents to tap to Wire. Dwynen's Elite is good on it's own too. You get a 2/2 and a 1/1 for 2 mana. With a lord of some sort in play thats extra +1/+1 counters.

Thank you for all of the suggestions, LaserBrains, BirdsOfParadise, and FTW. There's a lot to like in there!

Here's what I've been running lately, with a decent bit of success. I've sacrificed most of the deck's drop-my-hand-T1 impetus, but it's gained in consistency and has a longer game. I guess it's a bit more mid-range than Stompy now, but the Stompy spirit is still there!

Creatures: 35

4 Hexdrinker
    4 Endurance
    4 Avatar of the Resolute
    4 Stonecoil Serpent
    3 Dryad Militant
    3 Allosaurus Shepherd
    2 Noble Hierarch
    2 Ignoble Hierarch
    1 Elder Gargaroth
    1 Rhonas the Indomitable
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Quirion Ranger
    1 Predator Ooze
    1 Vigor
    1 Ulvenwald Tracker
    1 Collector Ouphe

Spells: 8

4 Once Upon a Time
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

Lands: 17

4 Gaea's Cradle
    13 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor

Sideboard: 15

4 Weather the Storm
    4 Song of the Dryads
    3 Reclamation Sage
    2 Gaea's Blessing
    1 Bane of Progress
    1 Tajuru Preserver

I quite like FTW's suggested list, which is Stompy through and through. I gave it a few spins, however, and it felt a bit cutesy for me. So, instead, I've opted for a bigger toolbox, with more mid-range options. I've preserved many of the suggestions, however: Dryad Militant is a lovely little hatebear, and Avatar of the Resolute is quite handy as both a trampler and a reacher. I tried Pelt Collector for a while, but ultimately decided to go with Stonecoil Serpent instead. Serpent still feeds Avatar, but it's also a better threat, a better topdeck, and can block a protected Marit Lage (or Emrakul if it comes to it). The downsides are (1) that it can't be fetched with GSZ, but I was never fetching Collector anyway, (2) that it can't be pumped by Allosaurus Shepherd, but it doesn't really need it, and (3) that it can be countered even when Shepherd is in play. Of those, (3) is the main issue, really; perhaps it's reason enough to substitute a Prowling Serpopard for an Allosaurus Shepherd?

Rhonas the Indomitable is a nice addition, especially with Ulvenwald Tracker, and Elder Gargaroth is a handy mid-to-late-game GSZ fetch.

As for the rest, Vigor is really quite useful, since we want to be swinging as much as possible. Plus, it helps when you're stuck blocking Marit Lage. It also interacts nicely with Ulvenwald Tracker. And I stand by Scryb Ranger and Quirion Ranger, who both enable excellent shenanigans or smooth out the mana situation. I'd like another Scryb, actually, but i can't see where.

Once Upon a Time is, of course, absolutely fantastic.

Oh, and the 2-2 Hierarch split helps preserve board integrity against Plague Engineer.

Also, for the record, <3 the suggestion of Mindbender Spores. Rofl!

RIP Ari

Thread Information