Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First legacy deck - Izzet Delver budget, need reviews

Re: First legacy deck - Izzet Delver budget, need reviews

Not actually advocating this, but if you wanted to show them something really exotic, Manaless Dredge is about $60 (without sideboard) according to TCGPlayer.
    It is a deck that plays no lands, starts the game by doing nothing for a turn, then discarding at end of turn for having too many cards in hand, then very quickly dumps the whole deck into the graveyard and its creatures keep coming back from the dead. A video showing it in action is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw9J-n4nw2Y

The downsides are
    1) It's not very fun to play against, because your turns take forever and then they are suddenly dead
    2) The cards are completely useless in any other deck
    3) It plays basically the same every game, so it's not even that fun for the pilot after a while :-)

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Budget UW Spirits deck. Using some of the same cards.

//Spells: 12
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    //you have these already, right?

//Spirit Creatures: 27
    4 Mausoleum Wanderer
    4 Ascendant Spirit
    4 Rattlechains
    4 Supreme Phantom
    2 Selfless Spirit
    4 Drogskol Captain
    4 Spell Queller
    1 Skyclave Apparition

//Lands: 21
    4 Ash Barrens
    4 Evolving Wilds
    7 Snow-Covered Island
    3 Snow-Covered Plains
    1 Otawara, Soaring City
    1 Moorland Haunt

//Sideboard: 15
    2 Council's Judgment
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Lofty Denial
    1 Selfless Spirit
    1 Celestial Kirin
    2 Dungeon Geists
    2 Empyrean Eagle
    2 Forbidding Spirit

Most of the creatures are cheap. Mausoleum Wanderer is the most expensive card. It also does a lot - attacking for fast damage, countering removal spells and combos. If it's out of your budget, you could cut it and run something like Empyrean Eagle, Unsettled Mariner, more Skyclave Apparition, or Lofty Denial instead.

I went with a snow basic manabase so you can get the most value out of Ascendant Spirit. The lands work well with Brainstorm and Daze too (if you already bought those).

Sideboard will depend on what kinds of decks your friends play. I guessed and gave a mix of useful tools.

Hi again! Thanks for that list, heard about it indeed.
    I got indeed Daze and Brainstorm, but i thought that Daze wasn't that good without dedicated lands?
    That list is clearly under my budget so i lf you see some upgrades, feel free!

Also, no spell banishing a creature for 1 white and giving his owner life? Seemed that it was quite strong in white decks.

Waiting for your details

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by VlaeKD View Post
    I got indeed Daze and Brainstorm, but i thought that Daze wasn't that good without dedicated lands?
    Daze needs a lot of "Island"-typed lands. Either
    a) 14 Island (all-blue deck)
    b) 6 Island-typed lands + 8 lands to fetch them (2-color deck)

Your budget Delver deck didn't have enough "Island" lands to make Daze good. Delver normally uses expensive lands like Volcanic Island ("Island") and Scalding Tarn (fetch).

For the Spirits deck I designed the mana to have 7 Island + 8 fetches (4 Evolving Wilds, 4 Ash Barrens). Daze should work. The high number of basic Islands is fine because most of the spirits are blue.

Brainstorm also wants lands that shuffle your library (4 Evolving Wilds + 4 Ash Barrens), so you can put back 2 cards you don't want and shuffle them away.

Also, no spell banishing a creature for 1 white and giving his owner life? Seemed that it was quite strong in white decks.
    You mean Swords to Plowshares? It's in the list above Brainstorm. Yes, it's very strong!

That list is clearly under my budget so i lf you see some upgrades, feel free!
    If you have more budget, buy some Prismatic Vista to replace Evolving Wilds. Lands entering untapped is better. It's expensive but a good investment. It can fit into any 2 color deck you make later.

Thread Information