Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaladesh -or- When Kiran met Pia

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Re: Kaladesh -or- When Kiran met Pia

The art on most of those is amazing IMO. Those lotus petals are beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    All masterpieces in Kaladesh

Can't really say I'm a fan of the art in many cases. E.g. since when was CoW a drainpipe?
    That's pretty clearly a crucible tipping over to unload it's contents... What do you think a crucible actually is?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    That's pretty clearly a crucible tipping over to unload it's contents... What do you think a crucible actually is?
    Ha, The original art is more like an hourglass.

There better be a Winter Orb masterpiece with polar bears on it in Aether Revolt.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

MAJOR fail going with the FtV foiling. Literally all of my interest in them is gone.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by sadface View Post
    There better be a Winter Orb masterpiece with polar bears on it in Aether Revolt.
    In before:

- SDT
    - Chalice
    - Lodestone Golemn
    - Voltaic Key
    - Memory Jar
    - Defense Grid
    - Thorn Of Amethyst
    - Sphere of Resistance
    - Trinishphere
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    MAJOR fail going with the FtV foiling. Literally all of my interest in them is gone.
    Why... would they do this?

I wonder if it's because they added Masterpiece Theater to the set after production and they needed to use a different press for the print run?

Has Wizards ever said anything about ye old plastic bottle cap foiling process?

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

It's not FTV foiling:

https://twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/775463438986326016

I thought I read that it would be the same as or similar to the Expeditions, but I can't find that comment now. If it is the same, does anyone know how well those have held up over time?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    Why... would they do this?
    Incompetence

People hate the FTV foiling process since forever. Failing to address this in a timely manner is a typical Wizards move.

IIRC, Aaron Forsythe recently asked on Twitter which foiling process people do prefer.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    It's not FTV foiling:

https://twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/775463438986326016

I thought I read that it would be the same as or similar to the Expeditions, but I can't find that comment now. If it is the same, does anyone know how well those have held up over time?
    Could very well be damage control. What does "similiar" mean if one can't really tell the difference?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I guess we can now play 8 "Aether Vials"? #NameFail
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I guess we can now play 8 "Aether Vials"? #NameFail
    All AEther cards are going with the new "Aether" spelling going forward. It's intentional. Expect a Gatherer update.

Incompetence

People hate the FTV foiling process since forever. Failing to address this in a timely manner is a typical Wizards move.

IIRC, Aaron Forsythe recently asked on Twitter which foiling process people do prefer.

Edit:

Could very well be damage control. What does "similiar" mean if one can't really tell the difference?
    Similar = identical, except afterwards we called them Masterpieces instead of FTV. Trust me, veeeery different.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

RIP MTGO economy. This is huge and completely going to nuke the economy.

Sure, BFZ was one hell of a shitty set, but unredeemable expeditions played a huge part why the EV was so crappy. MTGO prices are tied to paper prices - and paper prices can't exceed a certain threshold because otherwise, cracking packs/boxes open would be more profitable and correct the prices. If they tie a good chunk of the set's value to unredeemable cards, the rest of the sets value is going to suffer and thus, MTGO's set value. The booster prices will follow suit accordingly and tank.
    Don't worry, they'll just replace boosters in the prize payouts with more Itchy and Scratchy money.

Side note: These are legal if you pull one in Limited, so I'm hoping somebody at the Pro Tour cracks a Mana Crypt or Sol Ring and whomps on their draft pod. Just for the lulz.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I might just be making that up. Probably just getting my wires crossed between all the talks of similarity between these and the Expeditions alongside all the foil discussion. I don't even know if the Expeditions used a unique process at all.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

All these reprints really piss me off. Its not that cards reprinted typically decline in value. Its that cards like Lotus petal now come in like 3-4 different borders and it becomes difficult to recognize the card. At some point wizards just has to allow any kind of altars as long as there is a name on the card.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    All these reprints really piss me off. Its not that cards reprinted typically decline in value. Its that cards like Lotus petal now come in like 3-4 different borders and it becomes difficult to recognize the card. At some point wizards just has to allow any kind of altars as long as there is a name on the card.
    Quiet, you. Reprints of expensive cards is amazing, it's what the game needs, and the LAST thing we wanna do is give credence to people who say Magic players will complain about anything. Let's prove them wrong just this once, ok?

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Is it really hard to look across the table to identify a lotus petal or ask your opponent if you can see the card?

Your first criticism is quite valid, these things don't make cards easier to get so they really don't help with that regard. Neat cards, some look really cool, but its not like these are going to help make magic any more affordable for people who need these cards.

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Your first criticism is quite valid, these things don't make cards easier to get so they really don't help with that regard. Neat cards, some look really cool, but its not like these are going to help make magic any more affordable for people who need these cards.
    Wat

Look, these cards themselves will be expensive. See: Expeditions. However, they are increasing the supply of some hard-to-get older cards, and that cannot help but add a suppressive force to the card prices. There's no universe where supply and demand operate where printing more of a card (even in limited quantities) doesn't help prices somewhat.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Ha, The original art is more like an hourglass.
    The original art was chosen by fans, as part of the second round of "You Make The Card;" art direction included.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thread Information