Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Zombardment

Re: [Deck] Zombardment

@johncarvalho in the good matchups you had bad luck, but you win with the bad and that's good

Definitly Anger is powerhouse, i like him very very much.

Undead Augur i wouldn't look at him as a super value card, most of times i think that the small advantage that he will bring it will be enougth. I would look at him more as a value card and if you would get 1 or 2 cards is more than enougth to give us the advantage. Example: turn 1 sticher supplier (milling a Cabal therapy), turn 2 Augur + cabal therapy on supplier is not bad, and i would be happy with the start. He becomes more important at least at my point of view at 2nd/3rd game where you may need the tools in your hand due to grave hate. I haven't tested yet, maybe tomorrow

Sent from my Power_2 using Tapatalk

Hello all.

Played almost the same list (posted before) yesterday and the Zombieland are menacing the planes

Went again 3-1, and my opponents are getting despaired because of the zombies, 1 more fnm and i think they will be full hate against me.

Wins:
    UW Stoneblade 2-0
    BUG Delver 2-0
    POX (Weird Homebrew) 2-1

Lost:
    Guess!!!! 4c Loam; damn i hate that deck. 1-2
    The 1st game i won, having 3 decays main gave me victory, but 2nd and 3rd game is a slaughter, so many cards to answer, and going 1 for 1 isn't enought. Need to rethink a way to win this matchup.

Main deck exchanges:

-1 Driven // Despair >>> +1 Abrupt Decay
    -2 Rix Maadi Reveler >>> +2 Undead Augur

Decay worked perfectly and should have gone for 3 Undead Augur, he is removal magnet and usually at least draws 1 card, i'm happy with him, i left 1 Rix because i thought that 1 self discard was needed, but rotting rats complements that.

Sent from my Power_2 using Tapatalk

Ark4n finished 5-0 on a league playing Hogaak with 3 bombardments on the sideboard.

Do you guys think zombardment is leaning towards altar/hogaak builds now that they're a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by johncarvalho View Post
    Ark4n finished 5-0 on a league playing Hogaak with 3 bombardments on the sideboard.

Do you guys think zombardment is leaning towards altar/hogaak builds now that they're a thing?
    Yes, the deck will do so. The rather slow clock was always a problem for Zombardment in regards to fighting unfair decks, as the disruption is only mediocre due to brainstorm protecting pieces from discard or topdecking out of it. Altar of Dementia changes that by providing the ability to end the game fast, before they can rebuild from discard. Contrary to the old combo of Gravecrawler, Phyrexian Altar and Zombardment which needs rather specific cards, from which only 1 can be found via entomb and costs 1 more making it slower, Altar of Dementia on the other hand works better with our primary entomb target bridge from below and is self-enabling with all other creatures we do play.

You could say that goblin bombardment stands beside the deck - it's a payoff that works when your creature recursion is working, but it doesn't help making it work. Altar of Dementia helps making your engine work while being a payoff.
    I suppose the best comparison to what Altar of Dementia does in this deck is Survival of the Fittest. Sure, it has more deckbuilding constraints and it's not as guaranteed to work as survival does, but the effect is really close.

honestly i don't know if we still need goblin bombardment at all, because when a deck tries to force me to play fair, i feel that unlocking the decks unfair capabilities with anti-hate is a cleaner solution than trying to match the fair route.

I'm on a build featuring Putrid Imp and Vengevine and only Cabal Therapy as interaction (basically the Modern List cutting Neonate and the flexslots, and a better manabase of course), but to me the deck feels a lot more streamlined and with less tension as i often felt torn between investing mana in disruption and in the offense, not anymore. The beatdown plan is quite brutal: Hogaak dwarfs all creatures that fair decks play and even some that unfair decks play.

What i am really surprised by is the consistency of the deck - where previously i felt that i was constantly having the wrong part of the deck i now feel like i always have either a good beatdown plan or a good combo plan.

If you liked Bridge from Below Shenanigans and 10+ Power Carrion Feeders on a regular basis, this might be for you. If you liked Thoughtseize, Lingering Souls and the attrition war, i guess you won't enjoy the Hogaak/Altar combination too much.

I took Qweerios' list from here to a local proxy legacy event on Monday and went 2-1. It was my first time playing zombardment in an event, and I had a lot of fun!

Round 1: Zombie tribal
    G1: Opponent played dark ritual into geralf's messenger turn 1, and I had no way to deal with it. They had a vial too but second land. I had a slow start and eventually started casting lingering souls to chump block. Eventually opponent put in an undead augur and a death baron in off the vial and souls tokens were not enough to race.
    G2: I thoughtseized a geralf's messenger early, but opponent had 2 relentless dead and drew a second messenger to start attacking me with. Meanwhile, I had a cratermaker, rix maadi and some souls tokens. I believe there was one window where I could've blocked the relentless dead without them getting back the messenger, but I didn't do it (opponent could've just returned it to hand anyway) and I resorted to chump blocking the messenger and trying to race. Eventually they finished me off with a second messenger.

Round 2: RUG delver
    G1: I started with a bunch of gravecrawlers, but with w&6 and a lightning bolt my opponent was able to clear my board of zombies and started picking off the souls tokens I was creating. Eventually, they got 2 thresholded mongeese into play. However, I milled a scourge of nel toth with a supplier and they had no answer.
    G2: Opponent had a slow start, and I, once again, had some lingering souls. I cast and flashbacked two lingering souls and was eventually able to get their w&6 off the board. The tokens plus a bloodghast raced their mongoose.

Round 3: Miracles
    G1: Opponent force of willed a supplier to go all out on a back to basics I had stupidly played into. Luckily, I ripped quite a few lands. I cast and flashbacked a lingering souls and got a bombardment in play. Opponent played a terminus but saccing my board hit them down to 5, and bloodghast + bridge + bombardment finished them off.
    G2: Opponent had an early counterbalance that I wasn't sure how to deal with. A key looting got countered, and I tried to spectacle rix maadi but it got forced. I had some souls tokens in play, but eventually opponent drew an EE to deal with them and resolved a jace I couldn't answer.
    G3: I played T1 crawler T2 bloodghast T3 bloodghast, and my opponent had a hand full of cantrips. I got an entomb countered and landed a bombardment that ran away with the game.

The deck was hard to play, but it felt nice and a lot of fun! I'm curious about the cratermakers though, I guess I didn't face the right matchups for them but it seemed too inefficient to sac one to kill a vial for example, especially in such a land-light deck. Besides killing emrakul, what are some good targets for it that make up for when it's a grizzly bears?

Dec 2010
    Montreal

@Inkfathom

Cratermaker is there for Chalice, Batterskull, Jitte, Emrakuk, Eldrazis, Karn/Ugin, Thalia, and Delver off the top of my head. You can also protect Ghast from Terminus/StP with Crater. It's a way to commit to the board without losing your advantage if you don't have a Bombardment.

Since the printing of W6 I've moved completely to 4c Zombardment and added 4 Decays and a 2nd Paradise to my list. There are too many must-answer permanents that require Decay like Counterbalance, Chalice, Arcanist, W6, Jitte, Cage etc...

Here's my latest Zombardment list if you are interrested:

4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth

4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Entomb
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Lingering Souls

3 Goblin Bombardment

2 Undiscovered Paradise
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Badlands
    2 Bayou
    2 Scrubland
    1 Taiga
    2 Swamp
    //SB
    2 Plague Engineer
    3 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Coffin Purge
    1 Ancient Grudge
    2 Wear // Tear

The sideboard is much more geared towards beating combo decks because of the new london mulligan.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

I went 2-2 with something similar last week, won vs rug delver and burn, lost to rug shardless/rhino thing and eldrazi post (post is hard, but winnable if you can ritual>dinosaur); G1 I had a slowwish hand with no dinos, and got chaliced with no decay. G2 was double leyline + chalice, I decay the chalice and had a trophy to deal with just 1 leyline. perhaps reverent silence is good in here.

I replaced the 4 amalgams (4c is kinda hard to play with so many w6+wastelands running around) and the bridge from below (not enough sac outlets for it to perfectly function in my opinion), for 3 decays, 1 anger and 1 extra hogaak.

Also I played a 2/2 liliana/ashiok split, instead of 3/1. Without entombs, the self mill/self discard needs to be higher. Ashiok is crazy vs Arcanist/loam/w6 decks also, and on turn 1 he is a machine stopping fetchlands.

Im still tinkering the sideboard... I was playing Yawgmoth Nic Fit for a while, and Yawg probably has a place in zombardment, its an incredible strong card.

2-2 yesterday, winning vs burn and uw stoneblade, losing to hogaak depths and death shadow.

Burn got trampled by dinosaurs, and uw stoneblade couldnt do nothing with the constant flow of threats.

Death Shadow was a super close match, it looks favorable to us, but i got some bad luck and my opponnent made 3 topdecks in a row in game 3, while I have only 2 lands for lots of turns, with uncastable lilianas on hand.

Hogaak Depths is a really really REALLY bad matchup, specially without karakas. Maybe one maindeck and one on the sideboard, not sure.

For next week i will replace 1 hogaak for 1 buried alive... With dark ritual it enables some pretty crazy plays!

Dec 2010
    Montreal

I've played some Angrath's Rampage in my classic list and it put in some serious work against Chalice, Marrit Lage, TNN, Mongoose, Arcanist, Fatties (Eldrazi, Goyf, Gurmag), W6 and Stoneforge. I think Rampage is very well positionned right now and so are fatties in general in our deck (Gurmag, Scourge, Hogaak).

My latest list:

Creatures (15)
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    2 Gurmag Angler
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth

Spells (22)
    4 Entomb
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Lingering Souls
    3 Angrath's Rampage

Other (3)
    3 Goblin Bombardment

Lands (20)
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Marsh Flats
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Badlands
    3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    1 Mountain

Sideboard
    1 Shenanigans
    1 Coffin Purge
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Wear // Tear
    2 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    2 Plague Engineer
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Dec 2010
    Montreal

I'd like to point out that Silent Gravestone is pretty good right now. We all know how good it is vs. Surgical, Loam, Reanimator and Snapcaster. Now we can add W6 and Arcanist to that list. I definitely want a pair in my SB now...
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

I lost all matches yesterday (eldrazi post, burn and shardless rug).

The deck simply didn't function, in all games. Drew to many lands, or drew no lands, saw no looting, stuff like that. Pretty disappointing.

@Qweerios I think I'll try your version on Wednesday, but using 2 Hogaaks instead of Gurmags. Have yo tried it already?

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by johncarvalho View Post
    I lost all matches yesterday (eldrazi post, burn and shardless rug).

The deck simply didn't function, in all games. Drew to many lands, or drew no lands, saw no looting, stuff like that. Pretty disappointing.

@Qweerios I think I'll try your version on Wednesday, but using 2 Hogaaks instead of Gurmags. Have yo tried it already?
    No I haven't. Unlike Gurmag he is not a zombie and cannot be cast from your hand. As an Entomb target I can't cast him with spirit tokens unlike Scourge. I also preffer a 6/6 flyer to an 8/8 trampler for several reasons.

If you want to test my list here's an updated sideboard and guide:

Sideboard
    1 Shenanigans
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Celestial Purge
    2 Wear // Tear
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Silent Gravestone
    2 Plague Engineer
    2 Liliana of the Veil

AGGRO

UR Delver / Canadian Thresh / 4c Delver
    -4 TS -4 Therapy
    +2 Plague +2 StP +2 Stone +2 Purge/Lili

Death and Taxes
    -4 TS -3 Therapy
    +1 Shenanigans +2 StP +2 Wear +2 Plague

Maverick
    -4 TS -3 Therapy
    +1 Shenanigans +2 StP +2 Plague +2 Lili

Eldrazi
    -4 TS -4 Therapy -1 Bomb
    +1 Shenanigans +2 StP +2 Wear +2 Plague +2 Lili

Burn
    -4 TS
    +2 StP +2 Purge

CONTROL

Miracle
    -1 Scourge -3 Angrath
    +2 Lili +2 Stone

Grixis / 4c
    -3 Angrath -3 Therapy
    +2 StP +2 Purge +2 Stone

Stoneblade
    -1 Scourge -4 TS -4 Therapy
    +1 Shenanigans +2 Wear +2 Stone +2 Plague +2 Lili

Lands
    -4 TS -4 Therapy
    +2 Purge +2 Wear +2 Crypt +2 Stone

COMBO

SnT
    -1 Scourge -1 Souls
    +2 Lili

Reanimator
    -4 TS -4 Therapy
    +2 StP +2 Crypt +2 Stone +2 Lili

Storm
    -1 Scourge -2 Souls -3 Angrath
    +2 Crypt +2 Plague +2 Lili

Depths
    -4 Therapy
    +2 StP +2 Purge

Elves
    -1 Therapy -3 Angrath
    +2 StP +2 Plague

Infect
    -3 Therapy -3 Angrath
    +2 StP +2 Plague +2 Lili

Dredge
    -4 TS -3 Therapy -3 Angrath
    +2 Crypt +2 Stone +2 StP +2 Purge +2 Plague

Good luck!
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    No I haven't. Unlike Gurmag he is not a zombie and cannot be cast from your hand.
    Hogaak CAN be cast from hand, as I've learned the hard way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Hogaak can be cast from hand, but with entomb probably scourge is better (zombie, castable with souls spirits).

I might try your list tomorrow, or some other list I'm working on, lets see

Dec 2010
    Montreal

I took a quick pause from Delver to play some techy Zombardment at a Legacy weekly. I went 4-0 going for the full clean sweep. The event had a good turnout as usual (20-25 players) and I got to play against some top tier decks. Here's a quick report while it's still fresh.

R1 Nic Fit 2-0
    G1 I get some quick discard on Ooze and a strong early Looting gives me a great board with a Gurmag. He never recovers.

-3 Rampage
    +2 StP +1 Stone

G2 Is a little more back and forth as he gets to slam threats like Tireless Tracker and even Living Wish for Containment Priest and Ruric Thar. Entomb on Scourge with Gravestone allowed me to grind him out.

R2 Miracles 2-0
    G1 I get some killer discard with T1 TS and Supplier into Crawler and Therapy on 2 AK. Gurmag shuts the door.

-1 Scourge -3 Rampage
    +2 Gravestones +2 Lili

G2 I get some more killer discard and manage to his a CB and 2 Snapcasters with Therapy. I Loot a Ghast and slam Lili while hes tapped out. Bombardment makes sure he can't stabilize.

R3 UR Delver 2-0
    G1 I get a nutty Looting into Ghast Crawler start and resolve a Rampage on Arcanist. Entomb on Scourge followed by Gurmag ends it.

-4 TS -4 Therapy
    +2 StP +2 Purge +2 Stone +2 Plague

G2 is much longer but my opponent keeps a red hand with no blue source but a few Arcanists, Bolts, and Wastes. He chokes my mana but a T2 Gravestone shuts off his 3 Arcanists. Gurmag stalls the board while he tries to go off with Pyromancer. Bombardment prevents that. He tries to burn me for lethal in 2 turns but I crack back with hasty Ghasts, Gurmag, Crawler and machine-gun Crawler + Bomb for lethal first.

R4 Sneak n Show 2-0
    G1 Double TS opener with Supplier into Therapy and Gurmags strips and wins.

-1 Scourge -2 Souls -1 Bomb
    +2 Purge +2 Lili

G2 I get TS opener Pierced but T2 Therapy into Crawler discards a Brainstorms and Surgical extracts Therapy. He has Sneak and Grisel left. Topdecks the land for Sneak. I Lili +1 his Grisel. 3 turns later hes dead.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    I took a quick pause from Delver to play some techy Zombardment at a Legacy weekly. I went 4-0 going for the full clean sweep. The event had a good turnout as usual (20-25 players) and I got to play against some top tier decks. Here's a quick report while it's still fresh.
    Nice report man!! Congrats on the 4-0!

The list I'm working have dark rituals. Its more explosive, with t1 dinosaur, t1 ashiok, t1 liliana, t1 cabal+htt or cabal+supplier+cabal+crawler, even supplier+supplier+therapy+hogaak. I think it trades some level of consistency of the regular builds for some crazy plays:

Anyway, here's the lastest revised list:

Johnbardmentsaur v1.4:

Main:
    1 Anger
    2 Ashiok, Dream Render
    2 Assassin's Trophy
    3 Badlands
    2 Bayou
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Goblin Bombardment
    4 Gravecrawler
    2 Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Marsh Flats
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Rotting Regisaur
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    3 Swamp
    1 Undiscovered Paradise

Sideboard:
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Choke
    2 Golgari Charm
    2 Karakas
    3 Leyline of the Void
    2 Plague Engineer
    2 Silent Gravestone

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Funky list!

I don't know about Regisaur, he seems pretty weak for the cost and I wouldn't waste a Ritual for him. I'd rather play Buried Alive than a vanilla CMC3 fatty with built-in card disadvantage. I mean Dark Ritual into Regisaur then your opponent swords/decay/push him on upkeep is just ridiculously bad.

Somehow I forgot that Hogaak could be cast from hand with 2 black creatures. I don't think he can replace Scourge but he can certainly complement him and replace Gurmag in a way. I want to test the following list with Hogaak:

Creatures (16)
    2 Carrion Feeder
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth
    1 Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis

Spells (20)
    4 Entomb
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    2 Angrath's Rampage
    2 Lingering Souls

Other (4)
    3 Goblin Bombardment
    1 Bridge from Below

Lands (20)
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Marsh Flats
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Badlands
    3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    1 Mountain

I replaced the Gurmags with Feeders to keep the zombie count high and synergize with Bridge. I added said Bridge over the 3rd Lingering Souls (2 is enough really) now that I have more sac outlets. I included a single Hogaak as a Gurmag replacement and Entomb target when I don't want to sacrifice creatures for Scourge or want something bigger. 3 Rampage was a little clunky anyway.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Unfortunately I wasn't able to play yesterday, but next Sunday I have a 5k tournament where im bringing in the zombies.

Dinosaur is bad vs those removal you pointed out, but its crazy good vs ur delver, rug delver, burn, goblins, and stuff like that... it also presents a very fast clock vs combo decks. You can always cabal therapy for those removal before putting the dino in, and if he gets removed, its one less removal spell for them to deal with Hogaak

Also, dino's downside is usually a upside for us. Turn 1 ritual into dino (vs decks that don't have those easy removal vs him, otherwise start with discard), then turn 2 you discard ghast/anger/crawler/Hogaak with him on the upkeep, and continue your shenanigans. If his discard gets something good out of your hand, you probably are way ahead on the game that it probably wouldnt matter.

This build is kinda different, I was very used to play with entombs and souls, but I feel souls got worse on the recent meta with all the w6 and plague engineers (they are usually for zombies, but anyway...).. Im enjoying this all-in approach with dark ritual, as it enables sometimes threats that can be hard to answer on t1, like ashiok or liliana, hogaak, or simply a buttload of discard.

There was one game, vs reanimator I believe, where I went land > dark ritual > stitcher supplier > cabal therapy from hand > stitcher supplier > Hogaak from hand > cabal therapy from grave... fun times

Last monday I played with a 1 Hogaak / 1 Scourge split, and I missed Hogaak more when I had a scourge stuck on hand. The dragon is certainly better in an entomb shell.

Thread Information