Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Re: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Ah yikes somehow I missed the no cards in hand part of the barren glory condition. Yeah I basically lose all those matchups.

1. silkster: Dark Depths, Thespian's Stage, Mesmeric Fiend, Failure // Comply

I play my Grove and start ticking it up. You have Mesmeric Fiend, but if you cast it you will at some point be forced to tap Thespian's Stage to pay for Tabernacle. Then I can freely remove stage. If you use your combo, I remove depths in response to the sac trigger. Failure to Comply can only stall. WW 6-0, 6 total.

2. jfb1337: Elvish Spirit Guide, Channel, Karn Liberated, Arcane Denial

I can't interact with planeswalkers. LL 0-6, 6 total.

3. Wrath of Pie: Treetop Village, Golgari Rot Farm, Elixir of Immortality, Assassin's Trophy

You just use trophy on grove and recur village. LL 0-6, 6 total.

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Wheel of Fortune, Lion's Eye Diamond, From Under the Floorboards, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

OTP I play tabernacle. OTD I get Tabernacle in time after shuffling. Edit: Actually this matchup is more complicated than I thought as I didn't account for Emrakul shuffling LED. OTP I still get tabernacle, then you make zombies. You must use LED to do this, so you won't have LED next upkeep. First assume you don't cast wheel. Then depending on how you stack the triggers, floorboards will either shuffle or it won't. If you shuffle floorboards, you will get LED back in four turns. This means that you will need an upkeep cost of four starting mana per zombie. If you make more than one zombie, the additional zombies will never attack unless you lose all your zombies before you get back LED. As without LED, you must pay 1 starting mana for each 2 damage, this is not a winning line. Then you deal ten damage by using starting mana for tabernacle + 2 damage from LED, but the zombie dies before the second LED. If you don't reshuffle floorboards, you get LED back in 3 turns, requiring 3 starting mana per zombie. This means you only have one zombie at that point, and it will die before the second LED, meaning at most 12 damage again. Casting wheel can prevent it from reshuffling, but this costs 3 starting mana. OTD you can floorboards in response to wheel, meaning wheel won't reshuffle and you can have LED to pay for tabernacle once. WL 3-3, 9 total.

5. dte: Den of the Bugbear, Burning inquiry, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Sneak Attack

If you play sneak attack, I take an Emrakul hit but I remove sneak attack after the shuffle. However, you can wait until I play Rushwood Grove then I can't win as I will lose it to annhilator. DD 2-2, 11 total.

6. ReeplcheepMalakir Rebirth, Grief, Spellstutter Sprite, Mardu Charm

Your disruption does nothing and boseiju snipes your only land. WW 6-0, 17 total.

7. Asthereal: Chancellor of the Annex, Solitude, Memory Lapse, Loxodon Smiter

Tabernacle stops you from winning but solitude removes Ulamog. DD 2-2, 19 total.

8. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: Isao, Enlightened Bushi, City of Traitors, Leyline of Sanctity, Void Rend

Ulamog just beats this. WW 6-0, 25 total.

9. Dooey: Show and Tell, Barren Glory, Burning Inquiry, Nether Spirit

If you show and tell barren glory I Boseiju in response to burning inquiry. Then I shuffle and get Tabernacle for spirit and Ulamog. WW 6-0, 31 total.

10. RoosterCocoa: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures, Geier Reach Sanitarium, Nether Spirit

I Boseiju Geier reach and Tabernacle stops Nether spirit. You Boseiju Grove as anything else loses to Ulamog. DD 2-2, 33 total.

11. Symbi: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures, Rushwood Grove, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre

That's me, expecting more countermagic than was actually used.

12. FTW: Ertai Resurrected, Simian Spirit Guide, Electrodominance, Restore Balance

Tabernacle stops Ertai, but if I play grove you suspend Restore balance and I can't get to ulamog. DD 2-2, 35 total.
    Last edited by Symbi; 11-09-2022 at 08:33 AM.

Sep 2011

12. FTW: Ertai Resurrected, Simian Spirit Guide, Electrodominance, Restore Balance

Many disagreements. I think people misunderstood my deck.

MAIN PLAN: "Turn 0" Ertai on the stack. Hold priority. Electrodominance X=0. Cast Restore Balance. If Balance resolves, both players lose all cards in hand, creatures and lands (Ertai is hidden on the stack). Then Ertai resolves after.

If that fails, I can try to draw by using Ertai as a counterspell to force Balance through. Or I can suspend Balance and play a creature after (Ertai or SSG). In desperation mode, I can stare with threat of Electrodominance X=4 to both kill a creature and cast Ertai (killing or countering something else).

1. silkster: I can't let you counter Balance, so I hold back Ertai. You can't counter Balance without losing to Ertai, so you let Balance resolve and we each keep 1 card in hand. You keep Failure, then you can counter Ertai. DD 2-2

2. jfb1337: I Electro-Balance, holding back Ertai. You have to let it resolve or Arcane Denial gets countered by Ertai. Balance resolves with 1 card each. You keep the counter for Ertai. DD 2-2

3. Wrath of Pie: Ertai is still on the stack when you must discard Trophy. WW 6-0

4. GoblinSmashmaster: I T0 Electro-Balance keeping back Ertai. If you discard Emrakul, Ertai counters the reshuffle trigger and I win. There is no 1 card you can keep that would beat Ertai and you don't have BB to pay Madness yet. WW 6-0

5. dte: Same as GoblinSmashmaster. I T0 Balance and Ertai counters the reshuffle, but Den can hold off Ertai. If I do nothing, you must also do nothing (otherwise you waste mana, get Emrakul shuffle countered and lose to Ertai). DD 2-2

6. Reeplcheep: I T0 Electro, holding back Ertai. You Spellstutter Balance, I counter with Ertai, then you Mardu Charm to kill Ertai and we draw. DD 2-2

7. Asthereal: The Chancellor tax slows me down enough that I can't present 2 answers to Smiter fast enough before Smiter kills me. LL 0-6

8. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: T0 Ertai-Electro-Balance. Leyline would not matter since Electrodominance can target me. Ertai is still on the stack when you must discard Void Rend. WW 6-0

9. Dooey: You can't win without Burning Inquiry. If you Burning Inquiry, I counter with Ertai and Ertai kills you. Instead you do nothing to draw. I could Electro-Balance keeping Ertai in hand. Nether Spirit returns on upkeep. Ertai could counter the trigger or destroy it, but it doesn't matter because it keeps coming back, so we still draw. DD 2-2

10. RoosterCocoa: I must Balance to stop your lands, but then Nether Spirit stares at my 3/2. DD 2-2

11. Symbi: I Electro-Balance and counter the Ulamog reshuffle, but you can sandbag Tabernacle to kill Ertai. DD 2-2

32 points (6 wins, 14 draw, 2 loss)

I should have played my other deck. This felt like a Rock-Paper-Scissors round. This can't do better than draw vs Counterspell or Nether Spirit, but is strong against the other stuff that was good against Counterspell. Turns out there was a lot of Counterspell or anti-discard, and my other deck would have gotten more wins (but would have been annihilated by discard).
    Last edited by FTW; 11-09-2022 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Symbi View Post

8. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: Isao, Enlightened Bushi, City of Traitors, Leyline of Sanctity, Void Rend

Ulamog just beats this. WW 6-0, 28 total.
    Ulamog is too slow on the draw.
    You need to to play Grove tapped (1) put 10 counters on it (11) then untap and cast ulamog (12)
    I need to cast Isao (1) and attack you 10 times (11).

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    You need to to play Grove tapped (1) put 10 counters on it (11) then untap and cast ulamog (12)
    Not if some of the starting mana is used

I deduce from your results and the fact that you say 10 counters here that you plan to block Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, but Symbi is playing Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre which has annihilator.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Wheel of Fortune, Lion's Eye Diamond, From Under the Floorboards, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    WW. On the play, I grab the Diamond and remand the Wheel, then beat the zombies. On the draw, I bounce Wheel if you go for it and I bounce the Floorboards if you try for X>3. Then I have 4 turns before you can do stuff again during which I can get 2 attacks.
    On the draw:
    LED (remand LED is useless).
    Wheel using RUW. Hold priority, cracking LED for RRR (Emrakul reshuffle). If you remand Wheel, GoblinSmashmaster can recast it with LED mana! Either way wheel resolves. Discard your hand and draw the library [Emrakul, Floorboard, LED].
    Replay LED for BBB -> Floorboards X=3 (Emrakul reshuffle)

Net result: T1 3 zombies and discard your hand.

Seems like WL, like the other turn 1 decks. You can't actually stop the explosive turn 1.

For a while I thought you couldn't win because my mental model of Restore Balance is "players discard their hands", but you can hold Ertai until afterward. Which is funny because if there's any deck that I would say is "my deck" it would be Gemstone Mine + Restore Balance.
    But if I just hold the counter for Ertai, then you can't make a threat. DD?
    Because I Balance at instant speed, I can hide Ertai on the stack so Balance sees 0 cards, 0 creatures and 0 lands - then I resolve a 3/2 that ETB kills anything that made it through. That is my plan A. However if I do that then you remand my Balance, keep your cards, and Marit Lage beats my 3/2.

To prevent that I must Balance keeping Ertai in hand. Then you can't counter Balance (Ertai would counter it), but you get to keep 1 card in hand. You keep Failure // Comply and then can counter my Ertai, so we draw. DD 2-2.

The other decks I was expecting didn't show up at all, and instead it was this total chaos, which is great!
    Other decks I expected didn't show up either. This was an interesting round. I wonder what you were expecting...

Feb 2014

@FTW:

5. dte: Same as GoblinSmashmaster. I T0 Balance and Ertai counters the reshuffle. Or you Burning Inquiry, I discard 3 (keep Ertai), then Ertai counters your reshuffle. WW 6-0

The one card I keep (you have to keep Ertai for Emrakul trigger) is den, which trade with Ertai.
    2-2?

Also vs Asthereal between counter and chancellor I am not sure you win.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's results for round 3:

1. silkster: Dark Depths, Thespian's Stage, Mesmeric Fiend, Failure // Comply WD
    OTP I get to dump my stuff. OTD you can Fiend and I have to Lapse it, allowing you to bounce my Smiter for the draw.
    2. jfb1337: Elvish Spirit Guide, Channel, Karn Liberated, Arcane Denial DD
    EDIT: Karn with mana to spare and counter backup I can't stop, but what I can do, is Solitude my own Smiter, at least on the play. OTD I need to cast Lapse, cast Smiter and use Solitude and Chancellor to exile, so OTD you drop Karn asap, and tick him up, and I lose a card I need for my trick. That I lose, but OTP I cast Smiter and say go. You drop Karn, we trade counters and then I Soliture my own guy, which leaves you with no cards exiled by Karn, so you can't win anymore in the restarted game.
    EDIT2: See analysis by Fourdogs on the next page. OTP I can still foprce the draw by exiling Smiter to Karn and then evoking Solitude into nothing and letting it die, so I get it back in the restart and can use it to murder my own Smiter. Big brain play for the second draw.
    3. Wrath of Pie: Treetop Village, Golgari Rot Farm, Elixir of Immortality, Assassin's Trophy DD
    Uh.. a normal deck? Okay I didn't count on that. I hope you do well, this is super techy. Anyway, I don't see anything else than to Solitude your Village for the draws.
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Wheel of Fortune, Lion's Eye Diamond, From Under the Floorboards, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn LL
    I've been looking at options, but I haven't found a line yet where I can get a result. Let's leave this at LL.
    5. dte: Den of the Bugbear, Burning inquiry, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Sneak Attack LL
    This is a neat deck. You can open with Inquiry, and if I Lapse it, you still have mana to do your thing. Also, your land allows you to cast Inquiry again later on. Can't win this.
    6. Reeplcheep: Malakir Rebirth, Grief, Spellstutter Sprite, Mardu Charm DD
    You Grief plus paying the Chancellor tax, which I Lapse, and then you are free to Charm my Smiter, but lack mana to cast your Sprite so we draw.
    7. Asthereal: Chancellor of the Annex, Solitude, Memory Lapse, Loxodon Smiter <-me
    I got super confused this round and ended up sending in a whatever entry, that at least beat the other deck I had in mind. Anyway, this is underpowered and vulnerable, but might still be decent.
    8. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: Isao, Enlightened Bushi, City of Traitors, (basic land of choice), Void Rend DD
    EDIT: Memory Lapse is great, but not against uncounterable stuff. You have mana to pay for the Chancellor tax, so I Solitude your guy and you Rend mine for draws?
    9. Dooey: Show and Tell, Barren Glory, Burning Inquiry, Nether Spirit DD
    My Smiter beats your Spirit to death every turn forever and ever until all ever eternity.
    10. RoosterCocoa: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures, Geier Reach Sanitarium, Nether Spirit LL
    Hmm, this is interesting. Nacle will eventually kill Smiter, but can you make me discard out of Solitude range before you have to discard Spirit and see it return to the battlefield? Actually no: Spirit says "may". You play your lands and make me discard until I can't Solitude anymore, and only then return Spirit. Smiter doesn't kill you before then even if I use my WURBG mana to pay for Nacle tax, as I'll be on one card well before you die, and you can start returning Spirit and start chumping until I run out of Nacle mana.
    11. Symbi: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures, Rushwood Grove, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre DD
    More Nacle, but this time you can't stop me from Solituding your threat. Two draws as we both lose our threat.
    12. FTW: Ertai Resurrected, Simian Spirit Guide, Electrodominance, Restore Balance WW
    Your deck costs 6 mana and I impose Chancellor tax, so your standard plan won't work as you can't afford to cast both Dominance and Ertai. So you have to just suspend Restore Balance and hope it's fast enough. It's not - see below. EDIT: FTW agreed on my analysis, and checked a few extra lines which I also end up winning.

Total: 22 points, should be final score. Should. No guarantees though.

Against FTW
    F: Sus Balance (6)
    A: Cast Smiter
    F: (5)
    A: Attack, 16
    F: (4)
    A: Attack, 12
    F: (3)
    A: Attack, 8
    F: (2)
    A: Attack, 4
    F: (1)
    A: Attack, you die.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 11-12-2022 at 10:39 AM.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Quote Originally Posted by jfb1337 View Post

WL - OTP I karn, countering charm if used. OTD you charm to discard, I counter, then you grief ESG and sprite.

WW - You can't stop karn
    I think you are missing some draws, since you can’t have ESG and Karn in play at the same time. Assuming you restarting the game brings back cards exiled not by karn:

Vs asthereal: OTD asthereal casts smiter. Lapse channel, solitude smiter gives you 0 cards to restart the game with. OTP you get a smiter but he can still cast solitude with 0 targets. Esg + counterspell + smiter in play can’t beat solitude plus lapse plus chancellor trigger.
    DD

Quote Originally Posted by jfb1337 View Post
    Not if some of the starting mana is used
    I deduce from your results and the fact that you say 10 counters here that you plan to block Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, but Symbi is playing Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre which has annihilator.
    I forgot about starting mana, because I am so focused on people using it immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    8. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: Isao, Enlightened Bushi, City of Traitors, (basic land of choice), Void Rend WW
    Memory Lapse is great. So is Solitude.
    Memory Lapse has no text vs me.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Memory Lapse has no text vs me.
    Right. That's indeed correct. But then how do I beat you?
    You have me winning against you in your post, but if I can't Lapse anything, I only get to Solitude your guy and you get to Charm mine and we stare?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I think you are missing some draws, since you can’t have ESG and Karn in play at the same time. Assuming you restarting the game brings back cards exiled not by karn:

Vs asthereal: OTD asthereal casts smiter. Lapse channel, solitude smiter gives you 0 cards to restart the game with. OTP you get a smiter but he can still cast solitude with 0 targets. Esg + counterspell + smiter in play can’t beat solitude plus lapse plus chancellor trigger.
    DD
    That's neat. I missed that line.

You have me winning against you in your post, but if I can't Lapse anything, I only get to Solitude your guy and you get to Charm mine and we stare?
    I have it as a double draw. 0-0-2, Wins-losses-ties.

That's neat. I missed that line.
    It changes a bunch of the other matchups analysis but yours was the only one where it changes the result (I believe).

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I have it as a double draw. 0-0-2, Wins-losses-ties.
    Aaah I misread that as W-D-L. I've seen too many football results lately. Already edited my post for draws, so we're good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    It changes a bunch of the other matchups analysis but yours was the only one where it changes the result (I believe).
    OTP I indeed draw now. OTD I still lose, as I need all my cards for the trick, and I lose one to the Karn tick-up.
    I need Lapse to counter Karn and force him to counter back. I need Chancellor to exile to Solitude. I need Solitude to Solitude and I need Smiter to be in play when I do, so I need him too.
    Anyway, DL it is. Edited my post.

So all that remains for me is to check with FTW whether my analysis is correct, and to find out what Gobbo's deck does exactly, so I can determine what effect Lapse can have, and whether Smiter is enough for draws.

From the gatherer rulings on Karn:
    The player who controlled the ability that restarted the game is the starting player in the new game. The new game starts like a game normally does: Each player shuffles their deck (except the cards left in exile by Karn's ability). Each player's life total becomes 20 (or the starting life total for whatever format you're playing). Players draw a hand of seven cards. Players may take mulligans. Players may take actions based on cards in their opening hands, such as those of Leylines.
    Thus, vs Asthereal, OTD they can prevent me from having anything in exile when I restart the game, however I restart OTP and thus am able to exile something to have in play for a second restart, which I win with.

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "Eldrazi"

Zombie smash, then Fiend 3-3

Zombie smash, then Karn 3-3

3. Wrath of Pie: Treetop Village, Golgari Rot Farm, Elixir of Immortality, Assassin's Trophy
    Zombie smash! 6-0

That's me on Zombie combo instead

5. dte: Den of the Bugbear, Burning inquiry, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Sneak Attack
    Zombie smash, then Eldrazi smash 3-3

Discard :( 0-6

Zombie smash! 6-0

Zombie smash! 6-0

9. Dooey: Show and Tell, Barren Glory, Burning Inquiry, Nether Spirit
    Zombie smash! 6-0

10. RoosterCocoa: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures, Geier Reach Sanitarium, Nether Spirit
    Zombie smash, then Tabernacle 3-3

11. Symbi: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures, Rushwood Grove, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    Zombie smash, then Tabernacle 3-3

Ertai :( 0-6

Total: 39 zombie points
    Last edited by GoblinSmashmaster; 11-09-2022 at 12:26 PM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    You both agree but I am not sure.

GoblinSmash Turn 1 going first:
    LED. Wheel using initial RWB, crack LED for BBB in response. Emrakul trigger. Library = {Emrakul, Floorboards, LED}.
    Wheel resolves. You discard your hand and draw from empty library. GoblinSmash draws library. Then your Emrakul trigger goes on the stack. dte library = {Emrakul, Sneak Attack, Inquiry, Den}.
    LED again. Crack for BBB. Mana pool = BBBBBB + initial UG.
    Madness Floorboards X=6. Gain 6 life. Create 6 zombies.

You can't put any bodies on the board for 4 turns, since you need Den to activate Sneak Attack (or Den). 6 zombies kill you before then.

WL 3-3?

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post

That's me on Zombie combo instead

Eldrazi smash :( 0-6

Total: 33 points
    Objection! OTP you can cast wheel then crack LED for floorboards in response. This means wheel will not reshuffle. I will redraw tabernacle in 4 turns. During your next three turns, you attack for a total of 18 damage, drawing and playing LED on the third. Then on my turn I draw and play tabernacle, but you pay for it with LED and swing for lethal. So this is 3-3.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    You both agree but I am not sure.

GoblinSmash Turn 1 going first:
    LED. Wheel using initial RWB, crack LED for BBB in response. Emrakul trigger. Library = {Emrakul, Floorboards, LED}.
    Wheel resolves. You discard your hand and draw from empty library. GoblinSmash draws library. Then your Emrakul trigger goes on the stack. dte library = {Emrakul, Sneak Attack, Inquiry, Den}.
    LED again. Crack for BBB. Mana pool = BBBBBB + initial UG.
    Madness Floorboards X=6. Gain 6 life. Create 6 zombies.

You can't put any bodies on the board for 4 turns, since you need Den to activate Sneak Attack (or Den). 6 zombies kill you before then.

WL 3-3?
    That is very neat, agree!
    Also FTW, what do you think of us going 2-2, as if you keep 1 card to Ertai's Emrakul shuffle, Den trade with Ertai?

Quote Originally Posted by Symbi View Post
    Objection! OTP you can cast wheel then crack LED for floorboards in response. This means wheel will not reshuffle. I will redraw tabernacle in 4 turns. During your next three turns, you attack for a total of 18 damage, drawing and playing LED on the third. Then on my turn I draw and play tabernacle, but you pay for it with LED and swing for lethal. So this is 3-3.
    Actually also from the above line, Gob can just play 6 gobs T1 while discarding your tabernacle, which simplifies and go 3-3 as well.

Thread Information