View Poll Results: Would you want TimeWalk 2.0 to be banned right away?

Voters
282. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, ban it before it breaks the format

117 41.49%
  • No, ban it after we saw how good it is

116 41.13%
  • I dont care, I would like to play in a format with TimeWalk 2.0

49 17.38%
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: TimeWalk 2.0 Stillbirth?

May 2011
    Louisiana

Re: TimeWalk 2.0 Stillbirth?

This card is going to be on the same level as snapcaster. Remember when that was spoiled and everyone said it was going to be put in every deck! Others said it was unplayable! Turns out it was good in the decks that could utilize to the fullest and that's about it.

Same thing here. Control will love this card, and maybe some aggro control decks. I think it may become a staple in control. However a true control deck does not exist at the moment(in top tier) and I don't know if this card will cause one to become a DTB or not.

Oh and lol at the guy playing this in ANT.

this doesn't even compare with snapcaster

Quote Originally Posted by mort- View Post
    Well.. ANT is actually going to love this card.
    There is no better way to say "I love you" to a combo player than playing Personal Tutor for Time Walk :D
    Gets even better if they have a Balance out.

And on a different note:
    Glad I'm packing Extirpates.

To conclude:
    This card is good, but not broken. And way to overhyped.
    rtfc

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by joemauer View Post
    This card is going to be on the same level as snapcaster. Remember when that was spoiled and everyone said it was going to be put in every deck! Others said it was unplayable! Turns out it was good in the decks that could utilize to the fullest and that's about it.

Same thing here. Control will love this card, and maybe some aggro control decks. I think it may become a staple in control. However a true control deck does not exist at the moment(in top tier) and I don't know if this card will cause one to become a DTB or not.

Oh and lol at the guy playing this in ANT.
    And like Snapcaster it makes Brainstorm better. I never would have thought that I could Brainstorm into extra turns in Legacy.

Also, isn't the only reason people are upset about this set is that WotC went and printed a ton of fun cards for Standard that might mess up the Legacy metagame? I mean, Standard is really the only format that matters from a WotC business standpoint, so it makes perfect sense that they print fun, crazy, overpowered cards to keep Standard players interested and happy. Us Legacy folk really don't affect the bottom line, so our opinions about new sets really don't matter. I mean, look at this thread! It's a bunch of people complaining about this set because there are TOO MANY PLAYABLE CARDS OH GOD NO NOT THAT!!!!!!!!

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Ive thrown 3 of this TimeWalk into my BUG Landstill.deck and played 25 games with it.
    10 vs Maverick, 10 vs Canadian and 5 vs Stiflenought.

I gotta say this card is not as ubermightey as it looks like. It has never been bad, even though when I started with 2 in my opening hand. I just dropped a Jace - brainstormed these 2 on top and chained them both. Ye that was a pretty brutal mode with brainstorm into new turn into fateseal into new turn into brainstorm but in any way..this card is fine - but it is not overpowered. I won the games Id have won without it and lost those Id have lost without it..

Even though I voted to ban it before it becomes legal -ill vote now for the lets see option...

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

I vote ban now, but I understand people wanting to try it first. But I find it at least stupid to compare this card to explore, dark ritual or other conditional cards. This is TIME WALK, in a format that maverick drops mystic cause it is ... too slow. Ask yourselfs, how many times we lost a game cause we were a turn behind. In my last 2 tournaments that percentage was close to 50%. So in meta full of tempo, one/two drops and library manipulation, having 4 time walks is not broken because it ONLY replaces itself, and you will have to pitch to a FOW. Really?
    I have been battling with death&taxes, maverick, bw discard cause I don't like being another blue mage. So I know how it is to battle through brainstorm/snapcaster and jace with only what you draw. My guess is that something will be banned... Will it be brainstorm, don't know but PLZ let's just accept that in legacy this will be TIME WALK.

Mega Shark VS. Giant Octopus!
    Jan 2009

Honestly, "miracle" for this legacy format is like affinity was for Mirrodin block type 2. I mean even the burn spell makes me want to play a deck based entirely around the mechanic... that's bad.
    feefox: each card in hand!!!!
    ridicolous
    only fortune

Nov 2006
    Brasil

I don't think there are reasons for a Ban. I don't even know if the card is amazing when it works.

But I believe it's viable to be used in Standstill and other control decks, and the percentages indicate that it's viable in Tempo and S&T as well.
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Do you really think a deck with Jace and Top has room and time to durdle around with more slow, conditional cards that require a lot of setup?

If this sees play, it will be in some sort of Ux beatdown deck with Ponder, Preordain and Brainstorm. And there it will be largely luck based. This is not really a Spike mechanic.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Card makes me want to play it with Scroll Rack since there's not really a better card out there that can search it up and put Pseudo-Walks back on top at the same time for not much past the investment of a Top.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

I'm surprised with the poll results. Have any of you ever cast Time Walk? It's not very exciting, and even less so when you don't have Tinker. This card is probably playable in tempo decks, but I don't expect it to be banned or even see much play in control or combo decks.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Not only do I not seeing it get banned, I'm not even sure if it's Legacy playable. I'm sure the previous 9 pages I didn't bother to read agree. Personal tutor into it, whatever. At the end of the day it doesn't really put you that far ahead. I'm sure there are times that one extra turn is going to make or break a game....but I bet by that point the player could probably have just as easily cast time warp.

Quote Originally Posted by bowvamp View Post
    Honestly, "miracle" for this legacy format is like affinity was for Mirrodin block type 2. I mean even the burn spell makes me want to play a deck based entirely around the mechanic... that's bad.
    Well the deck would be bad. I don't think this mechanic is worth building around. The cards will have to be strong enough with cards that are already playable.

Playing the new miracle burn spell + a setup spell is a loooot worse than and less consistent than just playing two lightning bolts.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Well.. ANT is actually going to love this card.
    There is no better way to say "I love you" to a combo player than playing Personal Tutor for Time Walk :D
    Gets even better if they have a Balance out.

And on a different note:
    Glad I'm packing Extirpates.

To conclude:
    This card is good, but not broken. And way to overhyped.
    Yes if your masochist that likes taking 7 every time you flip one with AdN. Mmmmm... theres no better way to say I love you to a combo player than Time Walking before you go off when you are already consistently winning on turn 2 or 3.

I agree with Spatula. A bunch of 12 year olds will blow their allowances on Personal Tutors and Temporal Mastery only to discover that they might as well be playing Dark Ritual. Even a planeswalker activation is kinda pointless. Why waste deck slots bumping up your Jace two counters when you can play +1 sweeper, spot removal, or countermagic so that you can actually protect your Jace. Imagine you Jacestorm into land, land, card. If that card is TM instead of an answer.. you're not putting yourself in a stronger position by chuckling to yourself as you fateseal your opponent with your extra turn.

Honestly I'd rather play Tangle than this card. Leaving the opponent with 2 fewer attack phases can make all the difference in a game.. vs. having one extra card, one extra land, and one extra mainphase to play shit.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Cardboard Messiah
    Jan 2006
    East Syracuse, NY

Thread needs a poll option for "The card isn't that good. I wouldn't play it."
    Sexy

Yeah I voted the second one in the assumption that was more or less what it meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    look at this thread! It's a bunch of people complaining about this set because there are TOO MANY PLAYABLE CARDS OH GOD NO NOT THAT!!!!!!!!

Frankly I'm more concerned about the lava axe for R. A lot of people are trying to be too cute with the time walk, tutoring and whatnot, I can see it being used as acceleration or a little umph to push extra damage through in a tempo deck.

Jan 2009
    Trier, Germany

Ok, explanation, because some people don't seem to get what I meant.

1. Extirpate shuffles. Yes, you can't extirpate the Walk, but you can shuffle their Personal Tutor target away.

2. Yes, you won't play it in combo, but love it every time someone tutors for it.

That wasn't so hard ~~

Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Thread needs a poll option for "The card isn't that good. I wouldn't play it."
    Indeed. The high number of people who seem to think it needs immediate banning makes me facepalm a bit.

Literally. I wrote part of this message with one hand because the other one was busy facepalming.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

I like how everyone freaked out over the conditional Time Walk reprint when Vexing Devil is going to be far more deadly. Ban Brainstorm? Are you fucking nuts? Brainstorm is going to be a good reason that blue decks can deal with this new beastly red spell.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

1. Extirpate shuffles. Yes, you can't extirpate the Walk, but you can shuffle their Personal Tutor target away.
    Nobody in their right mind will play this with personal tutor, so most of the time you'll be ruffling their brainstorms, which does precious little in the best case scenario (it's not like they'll regret drawing walk later) and worst case scenario shuffled your opponents bad draws away for him.

Thread Information