Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Re: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

1. silkster: Gruul Turf, Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures
    Me, thinking that Wielder of Mysteries was not going to be a player this round. Oops.
    2. Wrath of Pie: Sunken Ruins, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, Pyroblast, Loxodon Smiter LL
    3. Asthereal: Savage Summoning, Lavinia, Azorius Renegade, Pyroblast, Vendetta WW
    4. Symbi: Orim's Chant, Mana Short, Pyroblast, Dryad Arbor WW
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: Black Lotus, Timetwister, Regrowth, Empty the Warrens WW
    6. jfb1337: Black Lotus, Sire of Insanity, Orim's Chant, Void Snare DL
    7. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: Dovin's Veto, Sudden Edict, Old-Growth Dryad, Leyline of Sanctity WW
    8. Reeplcheep: Chancellor of the Annex, Mesmeric Fiend, Solitude, Spell Queller WW
    9. Dooey: Force of Will, Snapback, Pyroblast, Painter's Servant DD
    10. RoosterCocoa: Cavern of Souls, Leyline of Sanctity, Lavinia, Azorius Renegade, Otawara, Soaring City LL (two lands?!)
    11. dte: Black Lotus, Dovin's Veto, Pyroblast, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries LL
    12. FTW: Black Lotus, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, Spell Queller, Pyroblast LL

10W, 3D, 9L = 33, exactly 50-50

I felt locked in to Tabernacle + Boseiju fairly quickly, but shockingly Boseiju did almost nothing this round.

I did expect Spell Queller and Lavinia to show up. I was hoping that Mana Short would show up instead of discard spells. Painter's Servant was a fun surprise.

I previously made a comment about how easy this round was to score, but then I looked over it and found mistakes in two matches.
    Last edited by silkster; 11-01-2022 at 09:08 PM.

1. silkster: Gruul Turf, Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures Can't beat Tabernacle
    0-2
    2. Wrath of Pie: Sunken Ruins, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, Pyroblast, Loxodon Smiter
    2-0 Veto for Jace, Edict for Smiter, Beat you down with a 3/3
    6pts
    3. Asthereal: Savage Summoning, Lavinia, Azorius Renegade, Pyroblast, Vendetta
    0-2 Vendetta my 3/3
    4. Symbi: Orim's Chant, Mana Short, Pyroblast, Dryad Arbor
    2-0 3/3 Vs your 1/1. You can't short me because leyline.
    12 pts
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: Black Lotus, Timetwister, Regrowth, Empty the Warrens
    0-2 Too many goblins
    6. jfb1337: Black Lotus, Sire of Insanity, Orim's Chant, Void Snare
    2-0 Edict your sire before it triggers, Veto your Void Snare (I thought it was spell snare when I wrote this up originally) You can't chant me because leyline.
    18 pts
    7. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: Dovin's Veto, Sudden Edict, Old-Growth Dryad, Leyline of Sanctity
    #TwoUncounterableSpells
    8. Reeplcheep: Chancellor of the Annex, Mesmeric Fiend, Solitude, Spell Queller
    0-0-2 If you cast the Fiend, I get to edict it, and you're left holding an answer to my Dryad forver. If you cast the Queller, then you can't solitude and will lose to my 3/3. Meanwhile I'm left holding the 3/3 all game becuase if you answer it I can't win. We stare
    I forgot Chancellor is white too
    18 pts
    9. Dooey: Force of Will, Snapback, Pyroblast, Painter's Servant
    2-0 Edict your Servant, turning off Pyroblast, Veto your snapback/Force. Or my 3/3 races your 1/3 while you pick a spot.
    24 points
    10. RoosterCocoa: Cavern of Souls, Leyline of Sanctity, Lavinia, Azorius Renegade, Otawara, Soaring City
    0-2 Otawara my blocker
    11. dte: Black Lotus, Dovin's Veto, Pyroblast, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries
    2-0 Veto your jace, beat you with my 3/3
    30 points
    12. FTW: Black Lotus, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, Spell Queller, Pyroblast
    2-0 Veto your Jace, Edict your Queller if you try and stop me. My 3/3 beats your 2/3 if you don't.
    0-2. Queller, trigger on the stack, kill your queller. The Queller triggers will then resolve out of their normal order, leaving Veto exiled.

30 points.
    Last edited by FourDogsinaHorseSuit; 11-01-2022 at 03:23 PM.

Sep 2011

I took silkster's advice and played the best proactive threat instead of trying to find the perfect hate deck.

1. silkster: You can't stop Jace. WW 6-0
    2. Wrath of Pie: OTP I play Jace, you Pyroblast, I Spell Quell and win. OTD you play Jace, I Pyroblast and you can't counter back. Then I play Jace and Quell your Pyroblast. WW 6-0
    3. Asthereal: Nice deck! I have to Spell Quell T0 Lavinia, but you can Pyroblast on the stack (before I can do my Pyroblast trick) and then I can't play Lotus or Jace. LL 0-6
    4. Symbi: I thought I had this beat with Chancellor banned (limited mana to play both counters and threats), but Dryad Arbor is a good free threat allowing you to play 2 "counters" to force through Mana Short. You Chant first, I must Spell Quell, you Pyroblast it on the stack, Chant resolves, then you Mana Short me and I can't play Jace. LL 0-6
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: Edit: If I let you go Lotus -> Regrowth -> Lotus -> Twister (6 mana) -> Lotus -> Regrowth -> Twister (4 mana) -> etc... -> Empty 39 copies, you can make 78 1/1 goblins!! Jace beats summoning sickness. WW 6-0
    6. jfb1337: OTP I Spell Quell your Chant, play Jace and win. OTD you Chant first, I Quell it. You Void Snare my Queller. I Pyroblast that. Then you play Sire, discard my hand, and race my 2/3 flyer. WL 3-3
    7. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: I play Jace, you Veto, but I can Spell Quell it (exile instead of counter). I Pyroblast my own Queller in response the ETB trigger so you can't use Sudden Edict to get your Veto back. WW 6-0
    8. Reeplcheep: OTP I pay the extra 1 and play Jace, you Spell Quell, and I Pyroblast back.
    OTD you Mesmeric Fiend me. I must Spell Quell it (paying 1), you Quell back, I Pyroblast your Queller. My Queller resolves exiling Fiend, but then you Solitude my Queller, returning Fiend and exiling my Jace. Your 1/1 wins. WL 3-3
    9. Dooey: I play Jace. You must react. Whatever you Pyroblast I Spell Quell, and whatever you Force or Snapback I can Pyroblast. WW 6-0
    10. RoosterCocoa: OTP I play Jace first and +1. If you bounce with Otawara, 2/3 Spell Queller races 2/2 Lavinia.
    OTD if you play T1 uncounterable Lavinia, I can exile with Spell Queller. If you bounce Queller with Otawara, Lavinia goes back on the stack but loses Cavern protection, so I counter with Pyroblast and win with Jace. If you save Otawara for Jace, Queller wins. WW 6-0
    11. dte: Ah the mirror. I was torn between Veto (uncounterable) and Queller (counters uncounterable and attacks, but also dies). OTP I play Jace first, you Veto, I Spell Quell, you Pyroblast Queller, then I Pyroblast your Jace to draw.
    OTD you play Jace and I Pyroblast. If you Veto, I Spell Quell, you Pyroblast that, then your Jace resolves and wins. DL 1-4

43 points (14 wins, 1 draw, 7 loss)
    Last edited by FTW; 11-01-2022 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    7. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: I play Jace, you try to Veto, but I can Spell Quell it (exile instead of counter). WW 6-0
    And then I edict your Queller and Veto your Jace again.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    And then I edict your Queller and Veto your Jace again.
    Right, I missed that Sudden Edict is relevant in the counter war. LL 0-6

Right, I missed that Sudden Edict is relevant in the counter war. LL 0-6
    Actually, you win:
    Cast Lotus/Jace
    I Have to veto.
    You cast Queller, because it's your turn you'll have pirority first when it resolves: Pyroblast it right now.
    Pyroblast kills queller
    Queller's second trigger will now happen first. The cast trigger.
    THEN the exile trigger will happen.
    Jace/Lotus Resolves.

Sep 2011

Actually, you win:
    Cast Lotus/Jace
    I Have to veto.
    You cast Queller, because it's your turn you'll have pirority first when it resolves: Pyroblast it right now.
    Pyroblast kills queller
    Queller's second trigger will now happen first. The cast trigger.
    THEN the exile trigger will happen.
    Jace/Lotus Resolves.
    Cool stack trick! Looks like I can Pyroblast + Queller to permanently exile a card, since I don't need Pyro for anything else.

Feb 2014

I did not realize the deadline was one hour earlier for me, but l guess it is these few weeks on which North America is still in Summer and Europe thinks it is Winter already.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Me, thinking that Wielder of Mysteries was not going to be a player this round. Oops.
    I thought the exact opposite, that everyone would play it, and how to beat it and the decks that beat it. But then I decided to take the same advise as FTW:

I took silkster's advice and played the best proactive threat instead of trying to find the perfect hate deck.
    1. silkster: Gruul Turf, Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures
    6-0

2. Wrath of Pie: Sunken Ruins, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, Pyroblast, Loxodon Smiter
    6-0. Pyroblast your jace, veto your pyroblast, do not care about the elephant.

6-0. Pyroblast Lavi, veto pyroblast.

0-6. Cannot beat that.

6-0

3-3

7. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: Dovin's Veto, Sudden Edict, Old-Growth Dryad, Leyline of Sanctity
    0-6

3-3.

6-0

10. RoosterCocoa: Cavern of Souls, Leyline of Sanctity, Lavinia, Azorius Renegade, Otawara, Soaring City
    2-2. If I had thought of Otawara, I think I would have played it, it is the perfect answer to Jace. FTW, you might want to rethink this MU.

me, playing jace. I had a smile when I search for the card on scryfall: I entered "jace" on name, and "win" for text.

4-1.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    7. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: Dovin's Veto, Sudden Edict, Old-Growth Dryad, Leyline of Sanctity WW Edit: DD, can't target you
    8W, 5D, 9L = 29 points (No longer putting Tabernacle and Boseiju on the banlist after not being Leyline. Should have played Shivan Gorge + Fungal Reaches?)
    I dont get it, Bosejiu the leyline and win?

4 dogs seem to agree with this line

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    2-2. If I had thought of Otawara, I think I would have played it, it is the perfect answer to Jace. FTW, you might want to rethink this MU.
    I think you lose here. Otawara bounces Jace. Cavern makes Lavinia uncounterable (cannot Pyroblast or Veto). You cannot Pyroblast on the battlefield either (Lavinia ability), so the 2/2 kills you. LL?

In my case, if Otawara is used on Jace then 2/3 Spell Queller wins (whether it counters Lavinia or I just play it first). If Otawara targets Spell Queller on Lavinia, I lose Queller and Lavinia goes back on the stack, but then I can counter with Pyroblast and win with Jace. Spell Queller's body pays off once!

I thought the big players were tabernacle and Jace, but I couldn’t figure out answers to both that wasn’t a draw fest. So I went with this, and I’m prepared for a bunch WL.

I can’t beat tabernacle. LL 0-6

You have no answer to fiend on Jace. WW 6-0

Hardcast solitude. DD 2-2 can’t LL 0-6

You have to choose between blasting my Queller or shorting me. 2/3 Beats 1/1 and 1/1 beats nothing either way. WW 6-0
    I guess chant doesn’t really matter. DD 2-2

Exile your lotus if you pay for it, but I draw vs 6 goblins. WD 4-1

Chancellor makes you lose an action spell. WW 6-0

Plow your dryad, smack with one remaining creature. WW 6-0

3 action cards each. DD 2-2

Hardcast solitude. DD 2-2 Can’t. LL 0-6

Veto doesn’t have targets. WL 3-3.

Veto doesn’t have targets WL 3-3.

9W 5D 7L 32/66.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 11-04-2022 at 09:27 AM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Veto doesn’t have targets WL 3-3.

11W 7D 4L 40/66.
    Spell Queller is not Dovin's Veto and can target creatures. Still WL because you can Solitude Spell Queller.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Hardcast solitude. DD 2-2

Hardcast solitude. DD 2-2
    Solitude costs 3WW not 4W, so you can't hardcast with WBURG.

Lavinia says "noncreature" so it doesn't prevent your Fiend or Spell Queller.

Edit: but it does stop Evoke Solitude, so you have to deal with a 2/2.
    Spell Queller can exile uncounterable Lavinia, but Otawara/Pyroblast can remove Spell Queller to return the 2/2.
    Against both decks they can remove your Queller, then your 1/1 loses to a 2/2.
    LL 0-6?

Nice hate deck! I was toying with some Solitude + Spell Queller deck but did not find something as good, so I just played Jace.

Do you all have a list of best combos you're using?
    This is the second time it looks like you all knew something I didn't.

1. silkster: Gruul Turf, Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures WW - I think you got too cute trying to be uncounterable and should have just jammed Assassin's Trophy.
    3. Asthereal: Savage Summoning, Lavinia, Azorius Renegade, Pyroblast, Vendetta DD - Luckily, Sunken Ruins is a land so I can Pyroblast Lavinia the permament.
    4. Symbi: Orim's Chant, Mana Short, Pyroblast, Dryad Arbor - LL
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: Black Lotus, Timetwister, Regrowth, Empty the Warrens - WW
    6. jfb1337: Black Lotus, Sire of Insanity, Orim's Chant, Void Snare - DD - Loxodon Smiter did do something!
    7. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: Dovin's Veto, Sudden Edict, Old-Growth Dryad, Leyline of Sanctity - LL
    8. Reeplcheep: Chancellor of the Annex, Mesmeric Fiend, Solitude, Spell Queller - LL
    9. Dooey: Force of Will, Snapback, Pyroblast, Painter's Servant - WW - Painter's Servant making everything blue does mean my Pyroblast is relevant.
    10. RoosterCocoa: Cavern of Souls, Leyline of Sanctity, Lavinia, Azorius Renegade, Otawara, Soaring City - WD - Ooh, another Lavinia to destroy! Too bad that I can't cast Jace and Smiter afterwards on the draw.
    11. dte: Black Lotus, Dovin's Veto, Pyroblast, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries - LL
    12. FTW: Black Lotus, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, Spell Queller, Pyroblast - LL

7w5d = 26 points

It might have been better to just jam Lotus. On the other hand, I keep playing cards that will be banned but not averaging above 3, so I must be doing something right.
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 11-02-2022 at 10:13 AM.

Feb 2014

I think you lose here. Otawara bounces Jace. Cavern makes Lavinia uncounterable (cannot Pyroblast or Veto). You cannot Pyroblast on the battlefield either (Lavinia ability), so the 2/2 kills you. LL?
    True, I lose both.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    In your case I think you WD: if you Pyroblast Lavi, you cannot cast both loxodon and Jace. Otawara takes care of the other.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    In your case I think you WD: if you Pyroblast Lavi, you cannot cast both loxodon and Jace. Otawara takes care of the other.
    Edit: dte is right. I missed that the deck has anti-synergy.

Feb 2014

Sunken Ruins taps for 1 to cast Loxodon on turn 2. Jace and Loxodon can't be cast on the same turn, that's all.
    It does not contradict what I wrote:
    Loxodon cost WG + ruins. Jace costs 1UB + ruins. Pyroblast costs R. You cannot cast both loxodon and Jace if you have to Pyroblast. So WD.

You can't use megaliths until you use boseiju. You can't use boseiju before I play servant, or I servant + blast your megaliths. So we stare. DD, 2 points, 2 total.

~~I name non-blue with servant, pyroblast jace, snapback smiter, beat down with 1/3. WW, 6 points, 8 total.~~

blast still counters snapback. LL, 0 points, 2 total

Can't stop 3/3 lavinia, can't interact once it's down, can't block it once it's down. LL, 0 points, 2 total.

You chant, I force, you blast, you short, you beat down with arbor. LL, 0 points, 2 total.

I think I can hold you to 6 goblins by blasting twister and forcing regrowth. That leaves us staring. DD, 2 points, 4 total.

I can't stop sire. LL, 0 points, 4 total.

I can never win because I can't defend painter. I also can't stop dryad. LL, 0 points, 4 total.

Agree with you, DD, 2 points, 6 total.

It me.

Can't counter or bounce lavinia, but I can cast painter twice and then block it forever. DD, 2 points, 8 total.

Can't beat 2 counters. LL, 0 points, 8 total.

I think it's a bit more complicated than you indicate since I can hard cast snapback, but in the end we each have 2 interactive spells and you have a faster wincon. LL, 0 points, 8 total.

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "Thassa, the Planeswalker"

Tabernacle :( 0-6

Jace :( 0-6

Lavinia savages me :( 0-6

Goblin smash! 6-0

That's me still on Goblin combo!

Sire :( 0-6

Goblin smash! 6-0

Goblin stare 1-4

Goblin stare 2-2

Goblin smash, then Lavinia 3-3

Total: 18 points

Thread Information