Page 172 of 220 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174175176182 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,440 of 4395

Thread: [Deck] Zoo

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Re: [DTB] Zoo

I don't think a judge would explain it that way. As far as I know you can stack the triggers, and shuffle with said effects to see another three cards, not two. You look at the top three, rearrange them, and draw for the turn, or you can pay four life to draw the ones you put back. One trigger would have to resolve, otherwise, they'd just overlap. And that's where a shuffle effect would make it extra nice.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

At the beginning of the draw step, before anything happens and anyone gets priority, you draw a card.

Then the Sylvan Library triggers would go on the stack.

Quote Originally Posted by MTG Comprehensive Rules
    504. Draw Step

504.1. First, the active player draws a card. This turn-based action doesn't use the stack.

504.2. Second, any abilities that trigger at the beginning of the draw step and any other abilities that have triggered go on the stack.

504.3. Third, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities.

It's Tricky

Nov 2009

So, you'd look at four a turn with Library? The first you draw, and the next three you look at/draw with Library?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    So, you'd look at four a turn with Library? The first you draw, and the next three you look at/draw with Library?
    If you have 2 Libraries, per the example:

Beginning of draw step, you would:

1) Draw a card
    2) Both Library triggers go on the stack
    3) You get priority.

Ok, so assuming your opponent doesn't have any fast effects to play during your draw step:

First Library trigger resolves. You can then choose to draw 2 cards (SL is a may effect). If you do, you have to put 2 out of the cards drawn this turn (so 3 right now because of the one you naturally draw at the beginning of your draw step) back on top of your library (assuming you aren't paying life).

You get priority back.

So say you want to see more cards, so you keep your best card of the three. Now, if you have a shuffle effect, say a KoTR or fetch land, you use it to shuffle up your library.

Now, when the second Library trigger resolves, you can see 2 new "fresh" cards.

About 20% cooler than you
    Mar 2011
    Denmark

So, I thought it might be time to register here. And since I'm here, I thought that I might as well try putting my own Zoo list up for criticism:

Lands (21):

4x Wooded Foothills
    4x Arid Mesa
    2x Windswept Heath
    2x Taiga
    2x Plateau
    1x Savannah
    1x Plains
    1x Forest
    1x Mountain
    2x Wasteland
    1x Horizon Canopy

Creatures (27):

4x Wild Nacatl
    4x Noble Hierarch
    3x Grim Lavamancer
    4x Tarmogoyf
    4x Qasali Pridemage
    2x Umezawa's Jitte
    4x Knight of the Reliquary
    2x Mirran Crusader

Others (12):

4x Lightning Bolt
    2x Path to Exile
    2x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Sylvan Library
    2x Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Sideboard:

1x Tormod's Crypt
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Karakas
    1x Barbarian Ring
    2x Pyroblast
    1x Red Elemental Blast
    3x Krosan Grip
    3x Leyline of Sanctity
    2x Oblivion Ring

I just ordered a playset of Green Sun's Zenith, but I'm not really sure about what to cut for it. Mirran Crusader is in there for 3 reasons:

1. Pro-Goyf and black removal.
    2. Doesn't die to Perish.
    3. If equipped with Jitte, can swing for 20 damage after hitting anything once.

So those two shouldn't go. Also, I am absolutely terrified of combo, and I'm not sure how to combat it. The Leylines are useful, but vulnerable. So any ideas on the sideboard?

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

I'd probably start cutting Elspeth. I really never liked her that much. The Umezawa's Jittes could as well go to the sideboard, but maindeck they're still fine I guess. The next thing is Grim Lavamancer. I feel he's just getting worse and worse, even against tribal he's not as strong as he used to be. You should also maindeck one or two Gaddock Teeg if you're looking to beat combo. Being able to drop him second turn preboard helps a lot.

Mar 2011
    Denmark

Actually, it seems I made a mistake. The forum differentiates between normal Zoo (This thread) and Big Zoo (My deck). Elspeth is not something I'd cut, since she is pretty much a card that has to either be answered, or she lets me win.

Anyways, don't respond to my list any more. This was my bad. Sorry.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon_Whelp View Post
    So those two shouldn't go. Also, I am absolutely terrified of combo, and I'm not sure how to combat it. The Leylines are useful, but vulnerable. So any ideas on the sideboard?
    I'm going to reply anyways. Cut crap like Oblivion Ring and Barbarian Ring for Ethersworn Canonist. Then, mulligan into it and hope your combo opponent doesn't have bounce or Burning Wish -> Answer. You also might want to move the Karakas to the main to open up another sideboard slot. Honestly though, by playing the "Big" version of Zoo, you're significantly worsening your storm combo matchup (it was bad in the first place though) in order to improve several other matchups. Which is fine right now, because unless you live in the Netherlands, storm combo isn't a particularly big part of the metagame.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Mar 2011
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    I'm going to reply anyways. Cut crap like Oblivion Ring and Barbarian Ring for Ethersworn Canonist. Then, mulligan into it and hope your combo opponent doesn't have bounce or Burning Wish -> Answer. You also might want to move the Karakas to the main to open up another sideboard slot. Honestly though, by playing the "Big" version of Zoo, you're significantly worsening your storm combo matchup (it was bad in the first place though) in order to improve several other matchups. Which is fine right now, because unless you live in the Netherlands, storm combo isn't a particularly big part of the metagame.
    Oblivion Ring was mainly because of Show and Tell with Emrakul getting more popular here in Denmark. I will agree that it's pretty bad against... Well, pretty much anything else, because Grip takes care of those other things, and better. The Ring was a crazy idea that I had - something along the lines of burn that was fetchable with the Knight being a good thing. But I see your point. I recently acquired a playset of Canonists, so there shouldn't be a problem with those.

The Karakas isn't in main because that'd mean I had to cut a fetchland, which are probably the weakest lands in the deck since I have so many and since they are so vulnerable (Stifle etc.). Or am I wrong here?

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

I just ordered a playset of Green Sun's Zenith, but I'm not really sure about what to cut for it.

Also, I am absolutely terrified of combo, and I'm not sure how to combat it. The Leylines are useful, but vulnerable. So any ideas on the sideboard?
    Enlightened Tutor and Green Sun's Zenith. Play 2-3 Enlightened Tutors SB, and an Ethersworn Cannonist and Teeg. That way you have multiple ways of tutoring or drawing hate. I question the Barbarian Ring in the sideboard.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Oblivion Ring was mainly because of Show and Tell with Emrakul getting more popular here in Denmark. I will agree that it's pretty bad against... Well, pretty much anything else, because Grip takes care of those other things, and better. The Ring was a crazy idea that I had - something along the lines of burn that was fetchable with the Knight being a good thing. But I see your point. I recently acquired a playset of Canonists, so there shouldn't be a problem with those.

The Karakas isn't in main because that'd mean I had to cut a fetchland, which are probably the weakest lands in the deck since I have so many and since they are so vulnerable (Stifle etc.). Or am I wrong here?
    Karakas is your answer to SnT Emrakul. Just put Knight of the Reliquary in off their SnT and then fetch it before they get to attack. GG. Thus, no need for Oblivion Ring. A random Karakas can often give you game one against that deck if they don't see it coming.

Edit: Don't play Enlightened Tutor. This deck does not need the card disadvantage. However, GSZ for maindeck Teeg is perfectly good.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Mar 2011
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    Enlightened Tutor and Green Sun's Zenith. Play 2-3 Enlightened Tutors SB, and an Ethersworn Cannonist and Teeg. That way you have multiple ways of tutoring or drawing hate. I question the Barbarian Ring in the sideboard.
    The Barbarian Ring is highly questionable, indeed.

Karakas is your answer to SnT Emrakul. Just put Knight of the Reliquary in off their SnT and then fetch it before they get to attack. GG. Thus, no need for Oblivion Ring. A random Karakas can often give you game one against that deck if they don't see it coming.

Edit: Don't play Enlightened Tutor. This deck does not need the card disadvantage. However, GSZ for maindeck Teeg is perfectly good.
    Yeah, i have tried topdecking Karakas against that deck, which won me the game. And right before he could attack to boot. So I do know of how useful it is. Also takes Iona. But how about the Akroma-Sphinx whose name eludes me at the moment? Is that just StP and PtE?

And I'm still wondering on what to cut for the GSZ. I know that Mirran Crusader seems obvious, but it wins games out of the blue often enough to warrant two spots. With Jitte, it's the aforementioned 20 damage in one swing after blocking/attacking once.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Don't play Enlightened Tutor. This deck does not need the card disadvantage. However, GSZ for maindeck Teeg is perfectly good.
    Enlightened Tutor is good you have the right targets. It's a great way to save SB Space, card selection is worth it.

Vulvaapje!
    Jun 2007
    The Netherlands

I ran Enlightened Tutor a while in classic Zoo and I wasn't fully convinced but its definitely a card that shouldnt be dismissed right away. I'd put in 2 myself but would only use it for combo hate. In other words I wouldnt fully rely on Enlightened tutor as an answer to everything.
    Quit playing Legacy but could still play Goblins (Rgw, Rg, Rw, Rb)

ジェームス・ブラウン

I'm staring in the mirror looking at my biggest rival.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Nelis View Post
    I ran Enlightened Tutor a while in classic Zoo and I wasn't fully convinced but its definitely a card that shouldnt be dismissed right away. I'd put in 2 myself but would only use it for combo hate. In other words I wouldnt fully rely on Enlightened tutor as an answer to everything.
    Agreed.

An Enlightened Tutor package that includes grave hate (Wheel of Sun and Moon, Tormod's Crypt, and/or Relic of Progenitus), storm hate (Ethersworn Canonist, Thorn of Amethyst, Pyrostatic Pillar), and other miscellaneous hate (Null Rod, Ensnaring Bridge, Blood Moon) can be very effective in swinging unfavorable matchups. Moreover, Enlightened Tutor protects against Turn 1 discard, which is nice because of lot of the relevant hate cards you're tutoring up costs 2.

However, that's a pretty weak strategy against combo decks that do run counterspells, because you're down two cards when they counter your hate. But against the likes of Storm, Dredge, and Lands, I was pretty happy when I tried out that package.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Yeah, i have tried topdecking Karakas against that deck, which won me the game.
    You don't need to topdeck it if you're running Knights, obviously. =)

I hate messing up the manabase, but I found that a maindeck Karakas is very much worth it. If you have a Knight in hand, absolutely do not try to cast it (it might get countered), unless for some reason you are trying to bait them (i.e. you have a second Knight). Against Show and Tell -> Emrakul, it's like running five Force of Wills (4 Knights + Karakas), except it can't get countered by their own FoWs, it doesn't require you to pitch a card, and you get to dump your own fatty into play.

I actually find the matchup to be slightly favorable (unless they're running Sneak Attack and manage to get that in quickly enough). Progenitus is stil a problem if they get it out early though.

Mar 2011
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    You don't need to topdeck it if you're running Knights, obviously. =)
    Nope, but he had killed my only Knight at that point (Well, the only one I had seen in that game), and it was really surprising that this one card could actually turn the game around - he had played two SnT in the same turn and controlled both Emmy and Iona, so I couldn't play more Knights. My only creatures were Goyf and Nacatl. But alas, it worked!

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    I hate messing up the manabase, but I found that a maindeck Karakas is very much worth it. If you have a Knight in hand, absolutely do not try to cast it (it might get countered), unless for some reason you are trying to bait them (i.e. you have a second Knight). Against Show and Tell -> Emrakul, it's like running five Force of Wills (4 Knights + Karakas), except it can't get countered by their own FoWs, it doesn't require you to pitch a card, and you get to dump your own fatty into play.

I actually find the matchup to be slightly favorable (unless they're running Sneak Attack and manage to get that in quickly enough). Progenitus is stil a problem if they get it out early though.
    Yeah, Progenitus. You're pretty much down to black spells if you want to get him, aren't you? Diabolic Edict, Gatekeeper, Perish...

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Yeah, Progenitus. You're pretty much down to black spells if you want to get him, aren't you? Diabolic Edict, Gatekeeper, Perish...
    If I'm playing a Natural Order deck, I will try to set a clock and aggressively burn their green sacrifice outlets--especially their mana dudes--before they ramp up to four mana. If you have enough burn, they will be unable to stick a green creature and Natural Order on the same turn unless they have five mana accessable. This is harder if they're running Wall of Roots (or Tarmogoyf, obviously requires a Swords effect).

Hopefully, by the time they get out their Hydra Avatar, they'll be at a low enough life total and staring at enough fatties that they won't be able to attack. I find that much more effective than splashing for black.

Alternatively, if you want to stick to white, there are very narrow answers like Tariff and Retribution of the Meek. I think those are terrible, low-impact cards that don't help against too many archetypes though, so I'd say racing is better.

Another alternative is to play an equipment package. Sword of Light and Shadow will allow you to swing safely through Progenitus the very next turn after it's dropped, while doing 2 extra damage and getting you 3 life. (This means they'll probably need to swing three times with Progenitus, which is quite easy to race, especially since they can't block the first time around.) Sword of Fire and Ice won't give you an extra swing, but you're doing an extra 4 damage through Progenitus and drawing into hopefully more burn. I'm not a fan of the equipment package in most matchups, but it's a much better solution than splashing for Edict effects or running those weird white cards.

I'm going to give Orim's Chant a try in the sideboard. It's there for storm combo, but I want to test whether it's useful against Show and Tell decks. As I mentioned it above, it's great against the SnT decks that run Sneak Attack (the creatures they cheat in are "fogged" and go straight to the graveyard) and Hypergenesis (Chant in response to cascade--nice Ardent Plea you have on the board there). But it can also let you get one more chance to attack into an untapped Progenitus that they didn't see coming.

I check my look in the mirror.

Feb 2011

Sneak Attack with Show and Tell is quite a challenging match-up, but, as stated already, quite winnable. One card not mentioned yet which is good here is Gaddock Teeg, who is fetchable with Green Sun's Zenith if you're playing it. He takes care of Sneak Attack. The second one is Red Elemental Blast/ Pyroblast for Show and Tell, which I would play in the sideboard.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Teeg also takes care of Natural Order as well.

Thread Information