Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Alex Bertoncini's serial cheating.

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Re: Alex Bertoncini's serial cheating.

People are still talking about this?
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil4182 View Post
    The subsequent refusal to pay was not an action targeted at Alex, but merely the result of a new policy that SCG instituted and it happens to apply to Alex. [...] The rules may appear to be targeted at Alex, but they'll argue that it was a general policy change that just happened to impact him.
    I had to laugh for quite a while. You got to work as a lawyer or as a politician.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by hi-val View Post
    That's an imperfect analogy if our performance drugs, as they usually do, stay in the body for an extended period of time and confer benefits. I think you could figure out if the person were under their influence at the time.

Consider a race car driver who wins a race; afterward, they find out that in a different race, he used a fuel with an octane rating that violated policy. Everyone knows you can't use that fuel. We have no evidence that he used that fuel on the day he won the race, though. Can we rightfully strip him of his prize?

Can a TO tell you, after you've won a draft, that he heard you slipped an extra rare into your sealed deck last week and you had a pretty good draft deck, so he won't pay you the prize this week?
    Except that you can actually figure out if the person was under influence at the time and you can still trace whether the fuel used on that day was of the correct octane rating. I'm sure you would need a lot more covering-up to avoid such detection. The basic fact is: If you can be proven guilty at the Olympics or even in the car race, I'm sure you would be stripped of your achievements/prizes. However, if you cannot find evidence, then you are correct. In Alex's case, he HAS been proven and determined guilty (as by the DCI, whether he is truly guilty from inadequate evidence is a debate but DCI has concluded that they feel that he cheated so it can be taken as an official final verdict whether it is true or false) so SCG similary in these two analogies should have the right as well to strip him on anything they see fit.
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

My problem with this whole fiasco is that as far as I know there is no evidence of Alex cheating at the invitational (if I am wrong to this regard then the rest of what I state is moot).

What he has done in the past is irrelevant for the purposes of whether he should be paid for winning the invitational. The simple fact is that Starcity should have banned him from playing if they had doubts or suspicions of him cheating. Unless there is evidence of him cheating at the invitational then they owe him the winnings.

I for one think that he has a reasonable case if he decides to pursue one against SCG.

-Cheers-

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Yeah, while no one likes to see Bertoncini "get away" with the 10k, unless it could be proven that he cheated during the Invitational, I dislike SCG taking it away from him even more.

This whole "let's make a policy and retroactively apply it to people we want to target" is a bad precedent to set.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_socks View Post
    My problem with this whole fiasco is that as far as I know there is no evidence of Alex cheating at the invitational (if I am wrong to this regard then the rest of what I state is moot).

What he has done in the past is irrelevant for the purposes of whether he should be paid for winning the invitational. The simple fact is that Starcity should have banned him from playing if they had doubts or suspicions of him cheating. Unless there is evidence of him cheating at the invitational then they owe him the winnings.

I for one think that he has a reasonable case if he decides to pursue one against SCG.

-Cheers-
    I disagree. First, if SCG takes it upon themselves to ban people who are under investigation from their events, they are making private information public, and potentially doing significant harm to someone financially and to their reputation. At the end of the day, if the DCI says someone is eligible to play, they should be allowed to play.

As for prizes, since there's no good way to prove whether he cheated at the invitational, or how much prior cheating affected his standings and chances to get into the invitational and byes, I say err on the side of caution and take back the prizes. What we can prove are multiple documented instances of a person cheating at high-profile events. To then assume that cheating in no way affected his chances of winning a particularly high-profile event seems ludicrous.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

I really think this thread is played out but at the same time, I've gotta barf out my internet opinion.

First of all, I can't believe there are so many people arguing that "you can't prove that he cheated in this particular event so let the poor little fella keep his prizes". To me this stance is complete bs. If he's cheated on several occasions in the past, what makes you think he would just stop cheating in this event? Once a cheater, always a cheater. Burn him at the stake.

Second point, if it was proven that he cheated at any other point in this series leading up to the invitation, IMO he should forfeit any and all prizes he's won throughout the series and receive the old lifetime ban from SCG events.

I mean get real, who defends a cheater in the game of Magic? Other cheaters? Ridiculous.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by android View Post
    I really think this thread is played out but at the same time, I've gotta barf out my internet opinion.

First of all, I can't believe there are so many people arguing that "you can't prove that he cheated in this particular event so let the poor little fella keep his prizes". To me this stance is complete bs. If he's cheated on several occasions in the past, what makes you think he would just stop cheating in this event? Once a cheater, always a cheater. Burn him at the stake.

Second point, if it was proven that he cheated at any other point in this series leading up to the invitation, IMO he should forfeit any and all prizes he's won throughout the series and receive the old lifetime ban from SCG events.

I mean get real, who defends a cheater in the game of Magic? Other cheaters? Ridiculous.
    Except we have this whole general pesky "innocent until proven guilty" societal thing where someone is innocent of a particular accusation (in this case, cheating during the invitational tournament) until they're actually proven guilty.

No one is defending Bertoncini's actions.

Some of us just think that SCG shouldn't be able to just arbitrarily decide whenever they want to pay people who money in their tournaments.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    Except we have this whole general pesky "innocent until proven guilty" societal thing where someone is innocent of a particular accusation (in this case, cheating during the invitational tournament) until they're actually proven guilty.

No one is defending Bertoncini's actions.

Some of us just think that SCG shouldn't be able to just arbitrarily decide whenever they want to pay people who money in their tournaments.
    In this case there is a preponderance of guilt that Alex Bertoncinia violated SCG's implicit contractual obligations for participation. It would be a very easy legal case if SCG wanted to pursue it. The fact that they don't and the way that they deterred Drew from posting makes me think that they don't really care much about cheating at their tournaments.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

I was away during the weekend and missed what actually transpired. I retract my previous statement and my respect for Starcity, for having the gonads to actualy redact Alex's prize money, has risen significantly.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

what's alex been up to these days?

Site Contributor

Nov 2009

He's back on twitter: "New banned list! Wild nacatl, punishing fire, and me!"

Apr 2008
    Storrs Mansfield, Connecticut

Do I get in trouble for Necro'ing? Not trolling, just an actual answer to the question from late last year.

Since Alex is currently banned, he showed up at the Unsanctioned Legacy event for an Alpha Mox Emerald yesterday. My Tournament Report details both my opinion of him, and his antics throughout our match in the deciding final round for top 8.

Skip to round 6 if you don't care for my deck's progressive info and are just there for Alex Bertoncheaty.

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee View Post
    Do I get in trouble for Necro'ing? Not trolling, just an actual answer to the question from late last year.

Since Alex is currently banned, he showed up at the Unsanctioned Legacy event for an Alpha Mox Emerald yesterday. My Tournament Report details both my opinion of him, and his antics throughout our match in the deciding final round for top 8.

Skip to round 6 if you don't care for my deck's progressive info and are just there for Alex Bertoncheaty.
    You're just updating the thread with additional news of this douchebag. Bravo. May people continue to document his shady behavior.
    Find me on Twitter at @JMJACO and @EternalCentral. If you have an interest in Vintage Eldrazi, check out my book Eldrazi Meditations.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_socks View Post
    Doesn't matter. Look at Lance Armstrong. They didn't even PROVE he cheated, he just refused to fight the cheating scandal, and they stripped titles from 9 years ago... That is in something way more important that SCG open's. Just compair the two, and you will have no problems with Alex losing his cash.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

You should have Temple of Doomed him after the match, but nice finish!

-Matt

Irken invader

Dec 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark

I second that emotion!!
    I´m a Derek, and Derek's don't run...

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post
    Doesn't matter. Look at Lance Armstrong. They didn't even PROVE he cheated, he just refused to fight the cheating scandal, and they stripped titles from 9 years ago... That is in something way more important that SCG open's. Just compair the two, and you will have no problems with Alex losing his cash.
    You must not be keeping up with Lance Armstrong news... the evidence in the USADA report is overwhelming and damning. Even the agencies that were shielding Armstrong like the UCI had no choice but to accept the evidence. Every single sponsor he had dropped him, pretty much every single title has been stripped from him. Just about every teammate he ever had testified that a) he doped b) he pressured everyone else to dope, including really young/impressionable guys.

Lance Armstrong is one of the biggest scumbags in the history of sports.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    You must not be keeping up with Lance Armstrong news... the evidence in the USADA report is overwhelming and damning. Even the agencies that were shielding Armstrong like the UCI had no choice but to accept the evidence. Every single sponsor he had dropped him, pretty much every single title has been stripped from him. Just about every teammate he ever had testified that a) he doped b) he pressured everyone else to dope, including really young/impressionable guys.

Lance Armstrong is one of the biggest scumbags in the history of sports.
    Why would Lance Armstrong be one of the biggest scumbags in the history of sports? If that assertion is based on, a) he doped, and b) he pressured everyone else to dope, including really young/impressionable guys, you should reconsider. PED use is the standard in pro sports. Lance Armstrong won those because of work ethic and freakish genetics. I'd agree that he is one of the biggest scapegoats in the history of sports.

Thread Information