Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Re: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    I think this is actually a win for WoP. Suppose dte is OTP and starts with peacekeeper. If it names anything other than trophy, WoP immediately casts trophy and pays the 3. Then WoP can get the trophy back by T4, which is fast enough to stop eater. If it names trophy, WoP goes T1 village, T2 elixir into rot farm, then T3 depends on whether dte casts or sandbags eater. If dte casts eater, WoP waits until T4 to cast trophy (spending 1 starting mana) on the eater. Then WoP easily gets trophy back in time to stop peacekeeper, while leaving up 3 to pay for denial. If dte sandbags eater, WoP casts trophy on T3 (spending 2 starting mana). Then WoP activates elixir on T4 upkeep and has trophy back on T5. (Note that eater never gets to attack in any of these lines due to the drawback).

If dte instead leads on eater, WoP goes T2 elixir (using treetop village mana) into T3 trophy (using rot farm mana). Then, regardless of what peacekeeper names, WoP still has the mana to pay both peacekeeper tax and denial tax. If dte leads with eater + peacekeeper, eater immediately eats a trophy. Then, as dte can't cast denial anymore, WoP gets the trophy back regardless of what peacekeeper names. If dte does nothing, WoP just wins with treetop village.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Symbi View Post
    I think this is actually a win for WoP. Suppose dte is OTP and starts with peacekeeper. If it names anything other than trophy, WoP immediately casts trophy and pays the 3. Then WoP can get the trophy back by T4, which is fast enough to stop eater. If it names trophy, WoP goes T1 village, T2 elixir into rot farm, then T3 depends on whether dte casts or sandbags eater. If dte casts eater, WoP waits until T4 to cast trophy (spending 1 starting mana) on the eater. Then WoP easily gets trophy back in time to stop peacekeeper, while leaving up 3 to pay for denial. If dte sandbags eater, WoP casts trophy on T3 (spending 2 starting mana). Then WoP activates elixir on T4 upkeep and has trophy back on T5. (Note that eater never gets to attack in any of these lines due to the drawback).

If dte instead leads on eater, WoP goes T2 elixir (using treetop village mana) into T3 trophy (using rot farm mana). Then, regardless of what peacekeeper names, WoP still has the mana to pay both peacekeeper tax and denial tax. If dte leads with eater + peacekeeper, eater immediately eats a trophy. Then, as dte can't cast denial anymore, WoP gets the trophy back regardless of what peacekeeper names. If dte does nothing, WoP just wins with treetop village.
    That sounds right. I didn't realise WoP could pay 5 more for trophy :/
    So I lose both.

1. silkster: Thoughtseize, Negate, Strip Mine, Nils, Discipline Enforcer
    This is me taking inspiration from dte's past decks.

2. dte: Decisive Denial, Eater of Days, Ancient Tomb, Anointed Peacekeeper
    This is dte taking inspiration from dte's past decks. I thought about playing the Anointed Peacekeeper, especially since Elite Spellbinder already earned its ban. Somehow I didn't think of playing it in place of Nils in my list though. Anyway, I win on the play by seizing the Peacekeeper, and on the draw I get to Thoughtseize the Denial and then play Nils, and somehow that actually seems like enough to take over. I did not expect that when reading the lists.
    WW

3. Asthereal: Barren Glory, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Thoughtseize
    I've had my eye on this list for a while (with whichever one-mana discard spell). I haven't checked how good it is, but being able to win on turn 2 avoids a lot of nonsense like token generators.
    WL

4. Reeplcheep: Simian Spirit Guide, Electrodominance, Wheel of Fate, Lingering Souls
    Negate really shines here, protecting my hand and letting Nils take over.
    WW

5. Dooey: Prismari Command, Funeral Charm, Leyline of the Void, Mother of Runes
    Funeral Charm trades with Thoughtseize, Prismari Command trades with Negate, Mother of Runes and Nils have a standoff, and Strip Mine and Leyline just hang out on the sidelines chatting about how ineffective this whole fight is.
    I had Leyline of the Void as a fourth card in a list or two. I definitely thought it would have done more this round.
    DD
    Edit: I still don't think Thoughtseize on Mother of Runes wins for me. You respond by making me discard lots of cards. I either discard them all (and can't win), or I Negate the Command and then I have spend 3 mana so I still need both Strip Mine and Nils to win, but Funeral Charm catches one of them. Leading on Nils or Strip Mine + Nils doesn't seem better.

6. jfb1337:Forbidden Orchard, Sudden Substitution, Summoner's Pact, Assassin's Trophy
    Negate protects me from accidentally resolving a pact. Thoughtseize on Trophy clears the way for Nils.
    WW

7. Wrath of Pie: Treetop Village, Golgari Rot Farm, Assassin's Trophy, Elixir of Immortality
    My 3 interaction cards trade very nicely here.
    WW

8. Symbi: Mardu Charm, Negate, Swarm Shambler, Forest
    If I'd thought of playing Mardu Charm plus Negate and a one mana threat that makes use of the land, I probably would have.
    Mardu Charm can't make me discard Nils, so our four instants and sorceries trade into one another and then Nils takes over when Swarm Shambler is left without a forest to keep growing.
    WW

9. FTW: Wistful Thinking, Remand, Cenn's Tactician, Tundra
    I appreciate that Remand's weakness is covered up by the discard.
    Discard with backup is WL.
    Edit: Ooh, I like how it strands a card against Barren Glory. I remember noticing that for Unsubstantiate and Failure, but I forgot cause I wasn't really considering Remand.

10. GoblinSmashmaster: As Foretold, Restore Balance, Durkwood Baloth, Thoughtseize
    Discard is WL.

13W, 3L, 2D for 41 points

I was irrationally worried about playing a land that I would tap for mana once and not use again because that just felt so inefficient when I already have five perfectly good mana in my pool. I wanted to play some kind of recursion cause those are really fun, but I hated having to add so many lands to keep paying for costs. Counter and discard still felt strong. I strangely didn't think of Chronomaton-like creatures, despite ending up on one approximately.

As I was quickly compiling the lists and trying to check for banned cards, I thought I was WL or LL against Decisive Denial, Mardu Charm, and Prismari Command. I feel that I got quite lucky this round. (Either that or I completely bungled my scores.)

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post

6. jfb1337:Forbidden Orchard, Sudden Substitution, Summoner's Pact, Assassin's Trophy
    Negate protects me from accidentally resolving a pact. Thoughtseize on Trophy clears the way for Nils.
    WW
    I think you are under estimating how good uncounterably stealing either thoughtseize or Nim is. If you’re OTD, Jfb goes paradise pass. If you lead on thoughtseize, he steals it and now you have to negate that, losing to the spirit. If you lead on strip mine, he comboes and you have to negate the pact, leaving you without enough mana to protect nim. If you lead on nim Jfb gets nim and gets to combo.

OTP you have time to discard the substitution however

WD

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I think you are under estimating how good uncounterably stealing either thoughtseize or Nim is. If you’re OTD, Jfb goes paradise pass. If you lead on thoughtseize, he steals it and now you have to negate that, losing to the spirit. If you lead on strip mine, he comboes and you have to negate the pact, leaving you without enough mana to protect nim. If you lead on nim Jfb gets nim and gets to combo.

OTP you have time to discard the substitution however

WD
    Sudden Substitution can't steal Nils because it says "noncreature spell". It also can't steal Thoughtseize because jfb doesn't have a creature to trade me for it. Edit: Wait, I figured out how Sudden Substitution can steal Nils. Hold on. I'm rethinking.

It seemed to me that discard and t1 combo were best, so I went with t0 combo.

2. dte: Decisive Denial, Eater of Days, Ancient Tomb, Anointed Peacekeeper
    I can always pay the 3 to draw. OTP 4 spirits will definitely race with the head start from eater and tomb. WD 4-1
    Eater of Days has flying and can block the spirits.

Sudden Substitution can't steal Nils because it says "noncreature spell". It also can't steal Thoughtseize because jfb doesn't have a creature to trade me for it.

Eater of Days has flying and can block the spirits.

A resolved nils is an eligible target for substitution with a pact. Jfb can make a creature to trade with the thoughtseize while thoughtseize is on the stack.

Yes I missed that, I would have to pay 3 to draw.

A resolved nils is an eligible target for substitution with a pact. Jfb can make a creature to trade with the thoughtseize while thoughtseize is on the stack.
    Yeah, I forgot about the resolved Nils being vulnerable to being stolen. I still don't think jfb can steal Thoughtseize because the token that jfb makes is under my control, so I trade Thoughtseize and spirit with myself.

A couple scores left to be checked (mostly mine), but it looks like the cards earning a ban have been determined. Five decks times four cards per deck is 20, minus one for basic Forest and minus one for Negate, the big winner to show up in two decks, means these 18 are on the chopping block:
    Ancient Tomb
    Anointed Peacekeeper
    Cenn's Tactician
    Decisive Denial
    Eater of Days
    Electrodominance
    Lingering Souls
    Mardu Charm
    Negate
    Nils, Discipline Enforcer
    Remand
    Simian Spirit Guide
    Strip Mine
    Swarm Shambler
    Thoughtseize
    Tundra
    Wheel of Fate
    Wistful Thinking.

Sep 2011

Yeah, I forgot about the resolved Nils being vulnerable to being stolen. I still don't think jfb can steal Thoughtseize because the token that jfb makes is under my control, so I trade Thoughtseize and spirit with myself.
    Yes, in that deck Sudden Substitution can steal resolved creatures (trade for Pact or Trophy in response to Negate on Trophy) but not spells, since you don't have any creatures to give up.

Edit: I still don't think Thoughtseize on Mother of Runes wins for me. You respond by making me discard lots of cards. I either discard them all (and can't win), or I Negate the Command and then I have spend 3 mana so I still need both Strip Mine and Nils to win, but Funeral Charm catches one of them. Leading on Nils or Strip Mine + Nils doesn't seem better.
    You are correct, I didn't notice that you need to play strip mine to have enough mana for all your spells.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Busy times, but my scores as posted by the others look correct.
    I was a tad early with my Barren Glory deck. Too many good answers still.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

ROUND 8 OF SEASON 14: WUBRG is now open.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 8, and for fun I made a salted hash at https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha256.html which is 090bb0c26245934453359bb3b6d153ac868df1f5154001feeec4bac72b9163bb

[B]DEADLINE: Tuesday December 20th at 1:00pm Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5).
    PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows:

silkster: Lightning Bolt, Lightning Blow, Lightning-Core Excavator, Dazzling Lights.

So with name, colon, and card tags around each card, and not above each other, and with your Username and 4CB S14R08 in the topic.

Usually you should keep an eye on the banned list, found in the second post and in the spreadsheet. Remember that the card pool is Vintage minus Unfinity.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy listbuilding!

PHP Code:
    name and 4CB S14R08
    YOURNAME
    : [cards]A[/cards], [cards]B[/cards], [cards]C[/cards], [cards]D[/cards]. 

Also, yes or no to having a round on the 27th.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Also, yes or no to having a round on the 27th.
    I probably won't be able to submit then. I'll be away for a week or so.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

We're up to 10 entries, so I'm going to gather and post them in the next few minutes. And then we'll take a week off and resume on January 3rd.

Season 14: Round 8 Lists

1. silkster: Hive of the Eye Tyrant, Inquisition of Kozilek, Vex, Bitterblossom
    2. dte: Prismari Command, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Bazaar of Baghdad, Currency Converter
    3. GoblinSmashmaster:Crystal Vein, Barbed Shocker, Abeyance, Flusterstorm
    4. Reeplcheep:Forbidden Orchard, Sudden Substitution, Intervention Pact, Abeyance
    5. jfb1337: Chain of Smog, Witherbloom Apprentice, Urborg, Delay
    6. Wrath of Pie: Geier Reach Sanitarium, Mountain, Stronghold Gambit, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    7. Dooey: Foil, Snow-Covered Island, Nether Spirit, Ashiok, Nightmare Muse
    8. Asthereal: Barren Glory, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Duress
    9. Symbi: Vex, Path to Exile, Inquisition of Kozilek, Memnite
    10. FTW: Ertai Resurrected, Ephemerate, Kitesail Freebooter, Scrubland

Hashed entry: Hive of the Eye Tyrant, Inquisition of Kozilek, Vex, Bitterblossom, go go tribal

Direct round 8 link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1630188131

I misclicked FTW's deck at first. This is the one. Sorry, everyone.

Me, lacking inspiration and trying to run it back as close to last week as possible. It seems that people aren't to be gotten by this again though.

2. dte: Prismari Command, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Bazaar of Baghdad, Currency Converter
    I read some of this a few times and then wondered how you're paying mana for Currency Converter, and then reread it and damn is this ever clean. My last attempt to play Bazaar + Eldrazi used Ruthless Sniper.
    On the play, it takes 8 turns for me to win and I lose 7 life along the way. PC gets countered, and then your turns are 1) Bazaar, shuffle; 2) draw PC; 3) draw Kozilek; 4) draw Converter, make a 2/2; 5) attack for 2; 6) attack for 4; 7) attack for 6 and put me to 1 (though I do have one blocker here to spare).
    WL LL, but so close!

3. GoblinSmashmaster:Crystal Vein, Barbed Shocker, Abeyance, Flusterstorm WL
    4. Reeplcheep:Forbidden Orchard, Sudden Substitution, Intervention Pact, Abeyance WL
    5. jfb1337: Chain of Smog, Witherbloom Apprentice, Urborg, Delay WL
    You know, I had been thinking to myself after Swift Reconfiguration that there are probably some other compact Legacy combos that I'd like to play, but I completely forgot about this one despite watching a league or two on stream. (I keep wanting to play Painter + Grindstone before remembering how silly that is here.) It's a good thing I didn't play it, though, cause I might have messed up the part that I messed up here, needing a Silence-type spell rather than a counter. WW
    6. Wrath of Pie: Geier Reach Sanitarium, Mountain, Stronghold Gambit, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    I'm not too hopeful, but this one is more complicated than I can do in the moment.
    You can make me discard on your T1, T2, T3 upkeep, then Gambit on turn 4, and annihilate me on turn 5. Much too fast and ignores all of my interaction. Very nice deck. I especially like your use of the starting mana to do get ~3 activations out of something. I don't think any other deck has done that. (Retrofitter Foundry sort of did, but it was able to do all of its stuff forever with City of Traitors anyway).
    LL
    7. Dooey: Foil, Snow-Covered Island, Nether Spirit, Ashiok, Nightmare Muse WL (Inquisition on Spirit means you can't cast both Foil and Ashiok)
    8. Asthereal: Barren Glory, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Duress WL
    9. Symbi: Vex, Path to Exile, Inquisition of Kozilek, Memnite WL (Great minds think pretty similarly)
    OTD, I Vex the Freebooter. If you counter with Ertai, you lose to Bitterblossom. But Inquisition doesn't clear the way for Bitterblossom, so we stare.
    WD
    I think I thought that Freebooter was like Collective Brutality and only took sorceries and instants. I'm not sure why I thought that. WL

I had been thinking about Leyline of the Void this week, but it was so underwhelming last week that I wasn't expecting that it could be good all of a sudden. That said, I don't think my deck with it would have done better.
    Last edited by silkster; 12-22-2022 at 10:31 AM.

4. Reeplcheep:Forbidden Orchard, Sudden Substitution, Intervention Pact, Abeyance
    I hoped people might ignore orchard after several poor showings. And also that no one submits banned cards.

upkeep abeyance, combo. You can’t make white. WL 3-3

you can stop me from comboing but not stealing your changeling. LD 1-4 edit: LL 0-6

I abeyance, you abeyance and then you can’t protect shocker. DL 1-4

You can’t make white mana. WL 3-3

I don’t need abeyance to combo, you can’t make white. WW 6-0

You can’t make white, and Ashiok’s discard isn’t immediate. WW 6-0

Abeyance you on upkeep so you can’t combo or make white. WW 6-0

inquisition can’t take sudden substitution but then you kill me with the spirit. WL 3-3

10. FTW: Old-Growth Dryads, Ertai Resurrected, Obscura Interceptor, Misdirection
    Edit:

I misclicked FTW's deck at first. This is the one. Sorry, everyone.
    Creature counters LL 0-6

9 W 1 D 8 L for 28/54

Should have used Abeyance.

LL - OTP I witherbloom, then I have to chain you, else you counter it after I discard delay. Whether you counter or discard 2 you're still then able to resolve bitterblossom through delay. OTD same.

DD - OTP I witherbloom, but I can't chain myself else you prismari witherbloom after I discard delay, then pointing the chain at you does nothing. Instead I hold up delay. You can't prismari else I delay it and win. You can play currency converter, but you can't make any dudes without discarding prismari and I win. But I also can't attack else you can make a dude to trade. So we stare. OTD same.

DL - OTP I play witherbloom, which trades for shocker (which it looks like you can always resolve). OTD you shocker with lots of backup.

WL - OTP I play witherbloom, you abeyance to prevent the chain. Then you steal witherbloom, but I delay the pact. When it comes off of suspend, you have to cast it, and you don't have the white to pay for it because you had to play abeyance. OTD you combo with abeyance backup.

WW - I combo off.

LL - I can't chain myself through foil, and chaining you doesn't help me beat nether spirit.

WW - I combo off through duress

LL - OTP I witherbloom. If you vex, I delay, then I chain you, and you have to lose memnite to keep path. So instead you let witherbloom resolve, I still chain you, but you discard IoK and vex, and when I delay path, you get it back after 3 turns. OTD same.

LL - OTP I witherbloom. I can't chain myself through ertai, so I chain you with delay backup, you discard ephemerate and scrubland. But you now don't have the mana for When Ertai comes back it kills witherbloom and you win. OTD same.

Total: 5W 3D = 18

Sep 2011

With 15 mins to go, I realized Misdirection was banned and I had to submit a different deck.

1. silkster: OTP I play Freebooter, you counter with Vex, I counter back with Ertai. Freebooter exiles Bitterblossom and my 2 creatures win.
    OTD you play Inquisition and take Freebooter. Then you play Bitterblossom, I must counter with Ertai, and you Vex back. WL 3-3

2. dte: OTP Ertai counters Command, Freebooter exiles Currency Converter and wins.
    OTD You lead on Currency Converter, otherwise same as OTP, and I let it resolve.
    Edit: If I play Freebooter, you can make 4 2/2s and I can't stop that. Instead I stare and hold up Ertai + Ephemerate at all times.
    If you play Prismari, I discard Scrubland & Freebooter. You can't make 2/2s without putting Kozilek to graveyard, Ertai is free to counter the 1st reshuffle trigger, then Ephemerate on Ertai kills the 2/2.
    If you don't play Prismari and just start making 2/2s, you can put 2 cards under Currency Converter but then I have all 4 cards. I hold back Ertai to counter the 1st reshuffle trigger if you put Kozilek in GY. You could make a 2/2 with Prismari, not using Kozilek yet, but while Currency Converter is tapped I can play Ertai to kill the 2/2 and keep Scrubland open, so I always have Ephemerate up to counter the Kozilek reshuffle, then the Rebound kills the 2nd 2/2. You lose by moving first, so you stare too.
    WD 4-1

3. GoblinSmashmaster: My interaction ignores yours. Freebooter beats down and Ertai has 4 modes to stop Shocker (counter it, destroy it, ambush it in combat, or counter the discard trigger). WW 6-0
    4. Reeplcheep: My interaction ignores yours. Freebooter beats down and Ertai counters Pact or the Pact trigger. WW 6-0

5. jfb1337: OTP I lead with Freebooter. If you Delay, Ertai counters, then Freebooter exiles Chain of Smog, and Ephemerate on Ertai kills Apprentice. If you don't Delay, Freebooter exiles Delay and Ertai counters your next spell.
    OTD you play Urborg and Witherbloom. If you play Chain of Smog targeting me (no combo), I discard Scrubland & Freebooter and bounce it back at you, you discard Delay and send it at me, then I flash in Ertai to counter and Ephemerate to destroy Witherbloom! If you play Chain of Smog targeting yourself (to combo) I let it resolve, you have to discard Delay, then when you copy it I flash in Ertai to kill Witherbloom and Ephemerate to counter the Chain copy. If you don't cast Chain, I play Freebooter forcing out Delay, counter with Ertai, exile Chain, and Ephemerate to kill Witherbloom. WW 6-0

6. Wrath of Pie: OTP I play Freebooter exiling Stronghold Gambit.
    OTD I discard Ephemerate to Geier Reach. If you cast Stronghold Gambit, I put Freebooter into play and Ertai counters the Kozilek reshuffle. If you don't, Freebooter exiles Gambit. WW 6-0

7. Dooey: OTP I play Freebooter, you Foil, I counter with Ertai, and Freebooter exiles Ashiok. You get back Nether Spirit but Freebooter flies over while the 2/2 and 3/2 stare at each other.
    OTD you play Ashiok. I let it resolve. You +1 making a 2/3. I play Freebooter, forcing out Foil. I let Foil resolve, then Ertai destroys Ashiok, Ephemerate flickers Ertai to destroy the 2/3, and Nether Spirit stares at Ertai but can't race. WD 4-1

8. Asthereal: My interaction ignores yours. Freebooter beats down and Ertai counters Barren Glory. WW 6-0

9. Symbi: Nice deck! I considered something very close to this.
    OTP I play Freebooter. If you Vex, I counter with Ertai, then Freebooter triggers. You can Path it in response but Ertai will win, or you can Path Ertai but then Freebooter exiles Inquisition and races Memnite.
    If you don't Vex, Freebooter triggers. If you let it resolve I take Path and race with a 1/2 flying. If you Path in response, I Ephemerate Freebooter to save it (URG starting mana left). If you Vex that, Freebooter dies but I'll be able to untap and cast Ertai to win. If you don't Vex, Ephemerate saves Freebooter and I exile Vex from your hand to win.
    OTD you lead with Inquisition. If I counter with Ertai, you counter back with Vex and then discard Freebooter. If I don't, you discard Freebooter and still have Vex to counter Ertai. WL 3-3

44 points (14 wins, 2 loss, 2 draw)

My last Ertai deck was bad, but I am surprised no one else tried Ertai since. Turn 0 flash 3/2 with "Choose one - Voidslime or Hero's Downfall". Seems good in this format.

I had Ertai in a Grief deck, but Grief got banned first.
    Grief, Ertai, Ephemerate, black card.
    OTP evoke Grief + Ephemerate -> double Thoughtseize + 3/2 Menace, and you still have 4 mana up to cast Ertai (or the 4th card if you exile Ertai). OTD you have Ertai + Ephemerate up on turn 0 to interact with turn 1 decks and turn 0 decks. As long as Wistful Thinking was legal I wasn't ready to play Grief, but that seemed like a strong Grief deck!
    Last edited by FTW; 12-21-2022 at 02:48 PM.

Sep 2011

OTD, I Vex the Freebooter. If you counter with Ertai, you lose to Bitterblossom. But Inquisition doesn't clear the way for Bitterblossom, so we stare.
    WD
    Disagreement. OTD forcing through Freebooter will exile Bitterblossom (noncreature nonland). Ertai counters Vex and I win.
    Last edited by FTW; 12-21-2022 at 12:14 AM.

Thread Information