Page 87 of 98 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 1947

Thread: [Deck] bUrg Tempo

Aug 2013
    Switzerland

Re: [Deck] bUrg Tempo

Hi everybody,

It is hard for me to write the report, because I don't really have time. Having a lot of work and organising a tournament this weekend.
    So here is a little report of MKM Series Prague where I finished 6 -3. I don't remember exactly the game, but I'll do my best.
    Here we go!

Round 1: BUG Delver - Tom, a nice german opponent
    Game 1: I'm on the Draw. The start was pretty even, but I loose when he put two goyf on the board. I didn't drew the decay early enough to do something against them.
    Game 2: I won this game with Gurmag, if I remember well.
    Game 3: I'm on the draw and want to play the more control style of play. I keep a one land hand with a lot of cantrip. I start with ponder but didn't find a land. And I was screwed out of the game. (I don't remember any wasteland this game) Maybe I should have mulligan.
    0 - 1

Round 2: Miracles - The serious player
    Game 1: I'm on the draw, we both mulligan to 5 and I have really good 5 hand card. If I remember well, I have Delver, Fetch, Wasteland, Daze, DS. This game is hard for my opponent.
    T1: My opponent put a fetch in play. I fetch and play DS.
    T2: He put a second fetch in play. Fetch both and put island and tundra in play and try to resolve a counterbalance. I daze, he force. Then on my turn I try to play a delver to check the top. It reveal terminus. Delver resolve and I waste his Tundra.
    T3: I didn't find a land. On my turn, my delver flip, I try to resolve a spell, his counterbalance reveal jace and then he concede.
    Game 2: I play on my turn Thoughseize and discarding him a sword. Then I play delver and a few turn later sulfur elemental joins him to beat my opponent to 0 life point.
    1 - 1

Round 3: Infect
    Game 1: I don't remember exactly the game, but It was quick. I drew 3 bolt, a snap and 2 wasteland. Good to my opponent to go through that.
    Game 2: Bolt and Jitte did the job.
    2 - 1

Round 4: Grixis Delver - Klara
    Game 1: Don't remember the game well. My friend Gurmag Angler get there. I kill her Pyro with a bolt after she blocks with a token and it was pretty much it.
    Game 2: Don't remember that game well too. It was little longer. I draw the one of surgical extraction and I surprised by removing all of her young pyromancer. After the match she told me, it wasn't good to side in Surgical. I like to put in one, because our mana curves is quite often too heavy to support our 3 drop spells against them. And it is quite good if you can get wasteland or one of their threat like young pyro, DS or Delver.
    3 - 1

Round 5: BR Reanimator - Against my Pascal aka PDingo on the source
    We saw the pairings, we said both! F***! THIS CAN'T BE REAL.
    Game 1: He won. The deck is good at wining game 1.
    Game 2: He had a slow start.
    Game 3: I keep a hand with Pierce, Daze and Force. He had slow start and it was pretty much it.
    4 -1

Round 6: Death & Taxes
    I loose both game. I will write something about this later.
    4 -2

Round 7: UR Delver - Petr, a nice Czech opponent
    I loose game 1, I win game 2, I loose game 3. It is really a difficult match up.

Round 8: Casual Elf
    I won both game without understanding what was the real kill. Snap + Bolt was there.

Round 9: BR Reanimator - Manuel, a nice german opponent
    Game 1: He told me that he did a bad sequence that make him throwing away a dark ritual for nothing. He loose on the spot.
    Game 2: A hand with deathrite, daze, Surgical and TS and 3 lands. He start by discarding my surgical. I TS him and saw a hand full of discard and a exhume. He try to discard, but I counter in order to protect my DS. Then I play my Deathrite and it was pretty much it.

I finish 6-3. I have a lot of thing to say, but I don't have much time. I may edit this post in the future in order to complete it. I want to write something to report something back.
    Have fun!
    Currently playing
    bUrg Delver

Hi,

I'd like to discuss four different matchups, I am having some trouble with.

This is my list and my sideboard with one open Slot for reference:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Gurmag Angler
    2 True-Name Nemesis

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    3 Spell Pierce

4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Abrupt Decay

4 Wasteland
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Volcanic Island
    Sideboard:
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Painful Truths/Sylvan Lib
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sulfur Elemental

1.) Infect
    I have a hard time figuring out, which cards I should cut from the maindeck in postboard games. Should we bring in more countermagic or more creature hate? Then again, how do you feel about bringing in Pithing Needle for Inkmoth - is it necessary or is Wasteland + removalspells enough? Do you think it's worthwile to add Thoughtseizes or Flusterstorm?

My current approach postboard would be:
    - 3 Spell Pierce (can't target creatures, so there are better alternatives)
    - 2 Angler (too slow)
    + 2 Jitte (if it sticks, the game is basically over)
    + 2 Edict (I think its better to attack their creatures then their pumpsells. Thoughts?)
    + 1 Needle (for additional Inkmoth hate)

2.) Elves
    I dont have any RL experiences with 4c Delver vs Elves so any input would be much appreciated.
    Do you bring in Thoughtseize?

Out:
    ??
    - 3 Spell Pierce

In:
    + 2 Jitte
    ??

3.) Burn and U/R Delver
    I treat these decks more like combomatches since its important to fight their early pressure. If we can survive the early turns, chances get better for us.
    I want to bring in Jitte but Jitte is rather slow to set up. Most pilots seem to cut Wastelands so my question is: Can we get away with bringing in two Jitte while siding out additional mana sources?

My Approach:
    - 3 Wasteland
    - 1 AD (I feel Aprupt Decay is a bit clunky here and I'd rather fight over the stack. Would you cut the fourth Wasteland instead?
    + 2 Fluster
    + 2 Jitte

4.) AggroLoam:
    I havent played vs AggroLoam so my thoughts are only of theoretical nature.

I would bring in:
    + 2 Surgical
    + 2 Diabolic Edict

What would you cut here?

Jun 2016
    Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    Hi,
    Sideboard:
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Painful Truths/Sylvan Lib
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sulfur Elemental

What would you cut here?
    I think in general you SB is lacking a little bit of cheap removal (1CMC!).

1) I prefere to put in more removal and leave in Force+Daze for backup T2/T3 kill.
    Pithing Needle is a must. So hard to beat for them.
    Again like i said in the intro, AD is not a warranty because of Vines of Wastewood.
    Always use your removal end of there turn or during your main phase (i'm sure you know that).

2) Again cheap removal helps by a lot. I prefere to board in Pithing Needle for stopping Wirewood Symbiote and kill the rest. Jitte is a house here obviously.

3) I would never cut the Wastelands in this matchup because it can save my life from POP.

4) Sounds fine. It's a very interesting matchup. I try to Force/Daze there T1 Mox often, it gives them everything they want, acceleration and fix the color. Always let DRS open to eat casted Punishing Fire or in response to Groove trigger. Surgicial does a nice job here also. You should have no problems with Lili because your playing SCM+Bolt.

Just my 50 cents.
    Last edited by diablo4488; 12-02-2016 at 02:22 AM.
    | Grixis Control
    | Canadian Threshold

Played on MKM Series Prague as well, ended up 14th with 7-2-0
    I shamelessly took Daniel Signorini's list, which I play for some time and I still find it very challenging and fun to play. (changes are only in sideboard) Sorry I took no notes and was tired anyway, 4 hours of sleep does not suffice me.
    My matches were:

R1: Elves 0-2
    R2: BUG delver (with Dark Confidants ie. not Team America) 2-0
    R3: Eldrazi 1-2 (nice start 1-2-0)
    R4: Infect 2-1
    R5: UB Reanimator 2-0
    R6: Punishing Jund 2-1
    R7: Storm 2-1
    R8: Sneak Show (with 3 Blood Moons in main) 2-1
    R9: Eldrazi 2-0

Decklist for reference:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Delver of Secrets
    1 Gurmag Angler

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Stifle
    2 Spell Pierce

4 Ponder

2 Volcanic Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    3 Flooded Strand
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Scalding Tarn
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard

2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Forked Bolt
    2 Diabolic Edict
    1 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Flusterstorm
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Winter Orb

Did not know that AfroSmile was there, and actually did not met him. Perhaps next time I will try to make up for it.

Aug 2013
    Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by mosaic View Post
    Did not know that AfroSmile was there, and actually did not met him. Perhaps next time I will try to make up for it.
    If somebody is going to a big event, write here and we can do a burg meeting! Would be nice to see other burg player!

This weekend I've played at the Swiss Legacy Cup. 7 Round of Swiss with the same list as the MKM Prague.
    I will complete my last report and write a small one about the SLC.
    I went 4-1, then I lost the two last game. :'(
    (Lost against: Lands, Merfolks and Infect.)

I didn't post last time the decklist:
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Gurmag Angler
    2 True-Name Nemesis

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    3 Spell Pierce

4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Abrupt Decay

Sideboard:
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Dismember
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Umewaza Jitte
    1 Painful Truth
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Dread of Night

I'm unsure about the sideboard and sometimes it happens that you get 2 Gurmag in hand.
    With Snapcaster Mage and Deathrite Shaman, this is quite a painful situation depending on the graveyard situation.
    Currently playing
    bUrg Delver

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSmile View Post
    If somebody is going to a big event, write here and we can do a burg meeting! Would be nice to see other burg player!

This weekend I've played at the Swiss Legacy Cup. 7 Round of Swiss with the same list as the MKM Prague.
    I will complete my last report and write a small one about the SLC.
    I went 4-1, then I lost the two last game. :'(
    (Lost against: Lands, Merfolks and Infect.)

I didn't post last time the decklist:
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Gurmag Angler
    2 True-Name Nemesis

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    3 Spell Pierce

4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Abrupt Decay

Sideboard:
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Dismember
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Umewaza Jitte
    1 Painful Truth
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Dread of Night

I'm unsure about the sideboard and sometimes it happens that you get 2 Gurmag in hand.
    With Snapcaster Mage and Deathrite Shaman, this is quite a painful situation depending on the graveyard situation.
    Hey Elie,
    well, wasnt your day I think

I´m looking forward to read your more detailed report and your impressions from the Friedmann list. Would be interesting to hear what you would change and what impressions you had. I personally dont like 2 TS + 2 Flusterstorm in the SB, I think it´s a overload on disruption vs combo...Your SB is also very weak vs Elves or Maverick for example because your hate is really focused on DnT...

I will play a bigger tournament in Voralberg Austria this Sunday and will give this list a try:

15 Creatures
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Tarmogoyf
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Snapcaster Mage

26 Spells
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Spell Pierce

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Abrupt Decay

19 Lands
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Badlands
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Painful Truths
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Electrickery
    1 Dismember
    1 Murderous Cut
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Ancient Grudge

FoW Count -> 25
    Delver Count -> 26

I´m not 100% sold on this list and I´m not sure if this is "better" than the current Friedmann list but I like it so far. Tarmogoyf just comes down earlier than Angler which is really important vs Infect, Eldrazi, burn or combo MU´s in general. SCM was great so far and that´s the reason I still run 2 copies along with 2 TNN.
    I found the 3rd SCM and the 2 Angler quite slow and clunky sometimes and I really miss the aggression sometimes to close the game.
    The Badlands is a test but having a 3rd black source + the ability to produce all 4 Colors off 2 duals (Tropical+Badlands) is quite nice. In this list Volcanic Island is by far the last dual I fetch just because red is only needed for bolt.
    If I would expect alot of Miracles in the room I would probably cut the 2 TS MD and would replace them with 2 Pierces just because TS is not very strong vs them but I´m sure there will be only 1-2 Miracles around.

I also really like 2 TS in the MD just because they´re more solid vs DnT, Elves, Eldrazi...The only Thing I miss are 2 Golgari Charm in the SB but with 2 TNN + 2 SCM it´s really not optimal and more of a doublesided sword...I replaced them with 2 Electrickery which are better vs Elves and Grixis Delver (YP+Token, Strix, Unflipped Delver) and still ok vs DnT.
    We will see how things work out on Sunday, will Keep you guys updated.

Keep on bUrgin
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

Hi Guys –

I’ve read the last 10 or so pages and was wondering why I universally see burg lists run only 3 AD, what’s the reasoning behind this, isn’t this our most important card in a lot of MU’s?

Also what are peoples thoughts on 2 Angler’s vs 3 goyfs? I’ve found the angler versions taxes the GY a little too much and that goyf can come down a turn earlier and add pressure quickly to the board.

Cheers!

Jun 2014
    L.A., CA

I'd say three Decays have become standard mostly because of the color requirements, relative clunkiness (when compared to Lightning Bolt), and the fact that Decay can't deal direct damage to the opponent. Also, with Snapcaster Mages, you have access to a potential 5-6 Decays, which should be sufficient in most matches.

I've preferred Angler because it is easier on the colored mana than Goyf (since the only other green spells would be the Decays) and cannot be tagged by opposing Decays; however, I've been testing a singleton Leovold (which has been really good for me except against Eldrazi) in place of the third Snapcaster, thereby increasing my green requirements and making me consider the 3 Goyf + 3 Trop/Badlands configuration. The way the games play out for me, though, are more controlling than those with other Delver variants, so Angler coming down a turn or so later hasn't bothered me much.

Also, bUrgers, recently Friedman posted about his GP experience and is inclined to test four True-Names alongside two Snaps and two Anglers. How do you feel about this? Six three-drops in the maindeck (if you include Snapcasters) seems like an awful lot, pushing 20-land territory even. 16 creatures makes Delver flip less often, too. TNN has certainly over-performed for me, making me consider running a third copy in the sideboard or something. But four maindeck? Seems like a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by theMonster View Post
    I'd say three Decays have become standard mostly because of the color requirements, relative clunkiness (when compared to Lightning Bolt), and the fact that Decay can't deal direct damage to the opponent. Also, with Snapcaster Mages, you have access to a potential 5-6 Decays, which should be sufficient in most matches.

I've preferred Angler because it is easier on the colored mana than Goyf (since the only other green spells would be the Decays) and cannot be tagged by opposing Decays; however, I've been testing a singleton Leovold (which has been really good for me except against Eldrazi) in place of the third Snapcaster, thereby increasing my green requirements and making me consider the 3 Goyf + 3 Trop/Badlands configuration. The way the games play out for me, though, are more controlling than those with other Delver variants, so Angler coming down a turn or so later hasn't bothered me much.
    Thanks for the feed back Monster, appreciate it, I run only the two SCM but can certainly see your point.

Has the Leovold been that good? I'm interested in him but have yet to test, he seems to be a mixed bag on here. Hopefully the more people test the more concinsious we gain.

I'm certainly leaning more towards the "greener" build.

Also, bUrgers, recently Friedman posted about his GP experience and is inclined to test four True-Names alongside two Snaps and two Anglers. How do you feel about this? Six three-drops in the maindeck (if you include Snapcasters) seems like an awful lot, pushing 20-land territory even. 16 creatures makes Delver flip less often, too. TNN has certainly over-performed for me, making me consider running a third copy in the sideboard or something. But four maindeck? Seems like a lot.
    I've tested 3 TNN and found it to be amazing, but that was in the Angler build.

Sep 2015
    SoCal

I've played two leagues with a more TNN-heavy build, 4-1ing both (both starting 8-0 in games, and then falling apart). Played against a wide range of things. Lost to UR Delver and Elves, both of which feel very hard for me to beat (Although I somehow managed to beat Julian one round).

The approach i'm taking is slightly different than Friedman. While I completely agree that TNN is insane, instead of just upping the land count and playing infi 3 drops, I configured the deck to better "bridge the gap" between 1 and 3. Doing this meant playing 3 Stifles, both to protect our own manabase, as well as all the other sweet things Stifle does. I also shaved one Daze, since this deck, more than other Delver builds, really doesn't want to see multiples, but the first is usually good. I agree that Thoughtseize main seems great, especially since you can use them to get rid of whatever they can use to answer TNN before slamming one down. I also play 2 Baleful Strix, still, as another way to bridge the gap and smooth out an otherwise clunky deck. I'm still playing 1 Gurmag because the first Delve card is free, and 1 Leovold because he is just gasoline. Look at the artwork. He knows it's over. He's offering your opponent the handshake.

Without further ado, here's the list:

19 Land:
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Tropical Island
    4 Wasteland

15 Creatures:
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Baleful Strix
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Gurmag Angler

26 Inst/Sorc:
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Stifle
    3 Daze
    2 Thoughtseize
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Abrupt Decay

Sideboard:
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Painful Truths
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Sudden Demise (Not sure on what sweeper this should be. Maybe Grim Lavamancer or Forked Bolt)
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Dismember
    1 Hydroblast
    MTGO: Maxtortion

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

About the new Friedman list...In his last Goyfless build I would replace the 3rd SCM with the 3rd TNN (I already did that in this version) just because he´s a beating vs DnT and Miracles. It also lowers the problematic situations between SCM and Angler and you have less dead SCM draws sitting in hand. But I think 4 TNN and 2 SCM with only 19 lands are too much especially with 1 Taiga/Badlands! Way too much clunky draws and a too high risk of getting wastelanded out of the game for my taste. If you really want to play 4 TNN just cut the 2 SCM. If he thinks that Grixis Delver is still a good MU with 6 cc3 creatures and 19 lands he lives in candy wonderland, you make the Wastelands and Dazes sooo much better for your oponent then, also cabal therapy. Diabolic Edict is just good vs Angler (Grixis Delver) and Mother of Runes (DnT) IF those are the only creatures on board which is not often the case, I really thought about 2 Edict in my SB mainly for Marit Large Tokens and Eldrazi but then I´m still weak to Angler. I tryed Edict in the past but my oponent just sacrificed his weakest creature on board instead of the goodie/fatty, 2 mana is also quite clunky. Eldrazi for example just sacrificed Mimic, Reshaper or Endless One instead of TKS/Smasher which sucked. But it´s playable.

He now made the cut with removing the pierces from the MD which I thought about long ago just because they´re underperformed every tournament, putting them in the SB or making a split between Pierce/TS in the MD is ok just because they´re still needed but 3 copies in main are too much in my opinion.
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

Oct 2015
    SWFL

Headed to a GPT on Sunday and conducted another large set of testing yesterday. Sadly, I think I'm done with Snapcaster in a Gurmag/DRS shell. It's expensive and at odds with the premier threats in the deck, as much as I love the versatility (Who doesn't love Snapcaster Mage?). Added a TNN and a Clique in those spots for now -- I'm happy with 14 threats for the time being and these seemed like the highest impact.

I've been impressed by Thoughtseize main to clear the way for TNN in the relevant matchups. It also keeps my spell count at 27 for Delver where others on here are playing cards like Leovold. Spell Pierce simply wasn't carrying it's weight, especially in multiples.

Land (19)
    2x Flooded Strand
    2x Misty Rainforest
    2x Polluted Delta
    2x Scalding Tarn
    2x Tropical Island
    3x Underground Sea
    2x Volcanic Island
    4x Wasteland

Sorcery (6)
    4x Ponder
    2x Thoughtseize

Instant (21)
    3x Abrupt Decay
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Daze
    4x Force of Will
    4x Lightning Bolt
    2x Spell Pierce

Creature (14)
    4x Deathrite Shaman
    4x Delver of Secrets
    2x Gurmag Angler
    3x True-Name Nemesis
    1x Vendilion Clique

Sideboard
    2x Diabolic Edict
    1x Dismember
    1x
    Engineered Explosives
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    1x Flusterstorm
    1x Invasive Surgery
    1x Painful Truths
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Pyroblast
    1x Sulfur Elemental
    3x Surgical Extraction
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

The SB got a bit of a re-work after wanting more outs to Eldrazi/Emrakul/Marit Lage/Reanimator. We'll see how well the Ensnaring Bridge + Edict package works out. Still up in the air on those. Engineered Explosives is back in the mix for me as the most flexible answer to troublesome permanents. I also quite like EE on 2 since I'm not playing any 2CMC threats in the deck.

Any comments welcome, I'll hopefully have some feedback on the 75 after Sunday's GPT.

Jun 2014
    L.A., CA

Interesting lists, eldub and MXG. Both of you eschewed Snapcaster. Do you guys think that the - in my case - paper metagame warrants that choice? I went down from 3 copies to 2, and now I'm considering playing a single one just for the surprise factor.

Playing a 6- or 7-round local on Sunday. My meta notoriously contains a lot of DnT, so I'd want to skew my build towards beating that deck. So, with DnT in mind, I have a couple questions:

- How good/bad is Stifle against them? It seems with Recruiter of the Guard in the mix, they have more triggers worth Stifling. And in a fair meta, I'd imagine Stifle to be good against most of the room (except Eldrazi).

- 3 TNNs seems like a certainty, but beyond that, I'm unsure about my creature suite. Leovold seems good against Port/Wasteland, but is it good enough against the field to merit a maindeck inclusion?

I'm considering a list like this:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    2 Gurmag Angler

4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Abrupt Decay

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

2 Thoughtseize
    1 Spell Pierce
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will

3 Polluted Delta
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Flooded Strand
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Tropical Island
    4 Wasteland

// sideboard //

3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Duress
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Marsh Casualties/Electrickery/Sudden Demise
    2 Diabolic Edict
    1 Dismember/Go for the Throat
    1 Ancient Grudge/Kolaghan’s Command
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Painful Truths

Haven't tested this configuration, so I don't know how it performs. Grudge is probably better than K-Command in this list because of only one Snapcaster. And I'm never sure which sweeper to play. With DnT my focus, I'd assume the -1/-1 of sorcery-speed Casualties is still better than a more efficient spell like Electrickery, but I don't know.

Things I'm considering:

- Shaving a Daze like MXG for the reasons he mentioned. But what to replace it with? Maybe an eighth removal spell? Something like Spell Snare?
    - Playing Stifles due to a typically fair local meta. I'd probably have to shave a 3-drop creature, though - most likely Snapcaster.
    - Taiga/Badlands. The to cast the third TNN makes me apprehensive about that, though.
    - Playing a 16th creature in the sideboard for when TNN or Angler is bad. Most likely a Clique.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

T4'd a small sanctioned today with this:

//Creature (14)
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Tarmogoyf
    2 True-Name Nemesis

//Instant (23)
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Counterspell
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Spell Snare

//Sorcery (4)
    4 Ponder

//Land (19)
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

SB: 1 Ancient Grudge
    SB: 1 Diabolic Edict
    SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 1 Sudden Demise
    SB: 1 Sulfur Elemental
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 Thoughtseize
    SB: 2 Umezawa's Jitte

I lost to DnT in the semis. I have no idea how you're supposed to win against that deck with BURG because as you can see, I have many many cards for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

You must try golgari charm.

In other hand I will try 4 Leovold main. I think is the solution vs 90% of the metagame. Vs Eldrazi I love diabolic edict + lightning bolt + dismember + snapcaster.

4 delver
    4 deathrite shaman
    4 Leovold
    2 Snapcaster
    2 Gurmag or Tarmo.

Sep 2015
    SoCal

Interesting lists, eldub and MXG. Both of you eschewed Snapcaster. Do you guys think that the - in my case - paper metagame warrants that choice? I went down from 3 copies to 2, and now I'm considering playing a single one just for the surprise factor.

Playing a 6- or 7-round local on Sunday. My meta notoriously contains a lot of DnT, so I'd want to skew my build towards beating that deck. So, with DnT in mind, I have a couple questions:
    Judging by our location flairs, we all have the same local meta :P. Good luck at Knight Ware to both of you, and I'll see you there!

- How good/bad is Stifle against them? It seems with Recruiter of the Guard in the mix, they have more triggers worth Stifling. And in a fair meta, I'd imagine Stifle to be good against most of the room (except Eldrazi).
    Stifle is okay against DnT. It won't be quite as backbreaking as it is against, say, Shardless, but it's certainly a playable card that will do useful things. Keep in mind that you can Stifle either half of a Flickerwisp Trigger. If they target something you want to keep around, you can Stifle the initial trigger. If they target one of their own cards to extract Hashtag Value, you can Stifle the delayed "return to battlefield at beginning of next end step" trigger to leave it in exile forever.

- 3 TNNs seems like a certainty, but beyond that, I'm unsure about my creature suite. Leovold seems good against Port/Wasteland, but is it good enough against the field to merit a maindeck inclusion?
    I've been playing it in our Local meta and online to relative success (~75% winrate on MTGO competitive leagues over 100 matches), and Jarvis/Ben have fallen in love with it too. I would wholeheartedly say to run it, but since we're both going to be at Knight Ware and possibly across the table from each other, I'll say don't run it if you don't want to. No one's forcing you.

Haven't tested this configuration, so I don't know how it performs. Grudge is probably better than K-Command in this list because of only one Snapcaster. And I'm never sure which sweeper to play. With DnT my focus, I'd assume the -1/-1 of sorcery-speed Casualties is still better than a more efficient spell like Electrickery, but I don't know.
    Part of me doesn't want to give away this sweet really old tech, but try Grim Lavamancer. If you shave some of the GY-reliant MD creatures (1 Delve spell is still fine), you can afford it, and he's really good right now.

Things I'm considering:

- Taiga/Badlands. The to cast the third TNN makes me apprehensive about that, though.
    Only play Taiga/Badlands as your 20th land. If you're playing 19, it's just going to end up hurting you. If you play 20, it's probably right to play. I would recommend Badlands. It's a good land.
    MTGO: Maxtortion

Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    T4'd a small sanctioned today with this:

//Creature (14)
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Tarmogoyf
    2 True-Name Nemesis

//Instant (23)
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Counterspell
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Spell Snare

//Sorcery (4)
    4 Ponder

//Land (19)
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

SB: 1 Ancient Grudge
    SB: 1 Diabolic Edict
    SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 1 Sudden Demise
    SB: 1 Sulfur Elemental
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 Thoughtseize
    SB: 2 Umezawa's Jitte

I lost to DnT in the semis. I have no idea how you're supposed to win against that deck with BURG because as you can see, I have many many cards for them.
    How did you find the snaps, along with the pierces and snare?

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by WThomas View Post
    How did you find the snaps, along with the pierces and snare?
    I previously played 1 Snapcaster and it was great so I played 2. Bolt-Snap-Bolt is fantastic in the delver mirror, and also seems ok against DnT (assuming your whole deck doesn't get locked out on Turn 3). On this topic of Sanctum Prelate, maybe we need to play stuff like Grim Lavamancer to get through it. Hmm.

Pierces are fine. They're not exciting but they're a necessary evil against combo and snare is fucking busted and I wish I could play more. I was playing 2 Snare 2 Pierce when I played only 1 Snapcaster but cuts had to be made and I never ever want to lose to Show and Tell so Pierce > Snare.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Hey bUrgers,

today I played a 34 man turney in Voralberg Austria with the Tarmogoyf build to a sadly 4:2 in 9th place

Round 1: Eldrazi Lost 1:2
    G3 was a slaughter fest. A lonely Mimic killed me from 8 to zero in 4 turns because I was not able to draw a creature. In my last turn I drew Tarmogoyf but he wasted my my 2 Tropical earlier and left me with USea + Badlands. He had only 1 Tomb remaining as his only land on 4 life + Chalice & Thorn of Amethyst in play.

Round 2: Goblin Stompy Won 2:0
    Clear and easy win, TNN & Goyf were really good here, FoW for Chalice G1 and Bolt for Magus took it away. Ancient Grudge were the Allstar and took care of Chalice + Trinisphere in G2.

Round 3: BR Stuff Won 2:0
    Random junk pile, Thoughtseize snagged a Tombstalker here which Spell Pierce wouldn't. TNN was also better than Goyf becasue of his heavy removal suite.

Round 4: Dark Maverick Lost 1:2
    G1 I resolved a T3 TNN and then I flooded hard even after a brainstorm becasue it showed me Land, Land, FoW. I won a close G2 after my Goyf was eaten by Ooze + double Shaman but TNN got there again. Then I kept a STUPID hand on the draw with Delver, Delver, Bolt, Bolt, Fetch, TNN, Cut on the draw in G3, which was just wrong. I drew a 2nd land 2-3 turns later but he meanwhile resolved Knight which killed all my lands + my Delvers never flipped.
    Definitely should have mulled this hand but I lived in candy wonderland where the sun is always shining.

Round 5: 4c Pyromancer Won 2:1
    Game 1 he was screwed & Daze on both Shaman +Wasteland on his dual took care of his manabase. Game 2 TNN won him the game. Game 3 TNN + a fast Delver won me the game.

Round 6: Burn Won 2:1
    Goyf was a important fast clock in all games, I was able to counter both PoP in G3 with FoW & Flusterstorm which sealed the deal.

I had really strange draws today with many floods or screws or games where I only drew 2 Shamans as my only creatures, TS never showed up even as a 2off, Delver starts were also rare...The deck was not my friend today but I also misplayed here and there.

My list was:

15 Creatures
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Tarmogoyf
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Snapcaster Mage

26 Spells
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Spell Pierce

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Abrupt Decay

19 Lands
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Badlands
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Painful Truths
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Electrickery
    1 Dismember
    1 Murderous Cut
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Ancient Grudge

FoW Count 25
    Delver Count 26

The Badlands cost me a game vs Maverick and it feels a bit dangerous when you stuck on 2 lands, Daze becomes worse also.
    Goyf was shitty vs Maverick and only ok vs Eldrazi (4/5 died to Dismember) but great vs burn & Goblin Stompy for example.
    I only drew TS 2 times, cant say much about it.
    Last edited by Manipulato; 12-12-2016 at 08:56 AM.
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

Running this quite successfully recently. Made 1st/2nd in last 4 local events (small tournament size, but lots of good players, including but not limited to Paul Lynch.)

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Gurmag Angler

4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Abrupt Decay

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

2 Thoughtseize
    1 Spell Pierce
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Tropical Island
    4 Wasteland

// sideboard //

3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Kolaghan’s Command
    2 Baleful Strix
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Painful Truths

I am afraid to run Leovold because of how awkward he is to cast, needing three colors. However, I did play against him in a Dark Maverick deck and sat there for about 6 turns with a very, very dead Brainstorm in hand. The card is super powerful, essentially a completely one-sided Spirit of the Labyrinth with 3 toughness and an awkward mana cost. Otherwise, very happy with the main.

Don't know about the sideboard. 2 K-Command might be too much and Flusterstorm continues to underperform, but the rest was very nice. Sylvan Library is the truth in some matches.

Thread Information