Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Belcher

Re: [Deck] Belcher - Former DTB

im adding SSG and Infernal Tutor to my list above for Cabal Ritual and Brainstorm...

i'll play 50 MWS games and let you all know how it goes...

doing well, so far i like the changes...

here is one good example of infernal tutor...

Board: Welder, Tinder Wall, Mox, Lotus Petal, Tiaga, Bayou

Hand: Spoils, Tutor

Play: I play spoils for LED, grab the LED, play tutor for Belcher, grab belcher, crack LED discarding belcher, have BBB in pool, weld mox into a belcher, belch FTW...

I really love the welders, they help abuse the LED's really well...

I also love the tutors emptying hand is really easy, and i founf you can cast the tutor THEN LED, and the hellbent is found on RESOLUTION so you have no hand, and get to tutor up anything.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Quote Originally Posted by BreathWeapon View Post
    Empty the Warrens, Infernal Tutor, Right of Flame and Simian Spirit Guide are all major additions to the deck; the difference between ESG and SSG is astronomical, because one resolves Xantid Swarm, the other resolves Goblins Welder, one imprints Green on Chrome Mox, one imprints Red on Chrome Mox, one resolves Tinder Wall and the other resolves Right of Flame and Seething Song.

SSG, Right of Flame and Seething Song is one of the best acceleration packages available, and it wouldn't be possible with out SSG producing Red instead of Green.

People also need to step back and reconsider their design, Infernal Tutor and Plunge into Darkness are the cornerstones of this deck; the first for having synergy with Lion's Eye Diamond and the second for giving the deck an Impulse/Spoils of the Vault effect that can find either Goblin Charbelcher or Empty the Warrens with out RFGing yourself.
    Personally, I think ETW is utter garbage for this deck. Your missing the entire basis of the deck, it packed speed in place of consistency. This came down to Belcher being the only deck in Legacy history that had a better chance of going off turn 1 than even BUG Dragon. I would never play the deck and pass the turn with nothing but some 1/1's on the table, especially against anything in the top 2 tiers.

Infernal Tutor is probably going to be the MVP of this deck, as it's common play was getting to 0 cards almost always in the first turn. That card I say should be an auto 4 of in any version of Belcher, as it's arguably better than Spoils in the case it's worst case scenario means your going to get a duplicate piece of acceleration, or a second Belcher for a backup kill, and it doesn't risk the autoloss of 10% that Spoils did.

ESG, Rite of Flame, etc.........red was nothing more than a splash color. This isn't Randomstorm.dec, we don't need this many acceleration pieces. The deck WINS on 7 mana, ALL of which is colorless. The only thing we need is an active LED, and 4 mana to get to belcher. This requires a solid fix of black, as that's our tutorbase, and most reliable of the accelerants: Dark Ritual. You could even completely cut out red if your running Welderless, as the only other card the deck had that was red was Gamble, and many people ditched it, because it was crap. The deck already had problems with Graveyard hate when it relies heavily on Welder, this means Rite of Flame is yet another garbage accelerant here, much like Cabal Ritual un-threshed. Not worth the time, especially when your barely putting anything in the graveyard.

There's 2 lands in the deck that you have over 40% chance of ripping out turn 1, along with 4 Chromes which can imprint anything, and 4 Lotus Petals. Turn 1 is still as consistent as ever, especially if you strip it back to a G/B build like it always was. If anything, run Culling of the Weak in addition to Tinder Wall, Xantid and Welder, at least that's more reliable, and on color.

Also, Duress vs Xantid almost always came down to 4 MD Duress, and 4 SB Xantid Swarm (if any). The only time you'll ever want Xantid over Duress is if your forced to be the combo/control deck, which Belcher doesn't EVER do. The deck is built on never wanting to pass that first turn, let alone anything requiring you to swing (Much like why ETW is such a bad backup card). The only reason Xantid was ever really good was because it was a must-counter for control decks if you have to pass the turn, while Duress is a must counter immediately, because they know if you Duress during a setup, chances are you have the win in hand. Even then, it's much easier to get to 2 colorless for Defense Grid than it is to consistently see G for Xantid.

All in all, the decks ratios are pretty simple. 4 MD win condition (Belcher), with 2-3 backup plans (Living Wish), and the rest all being a split between acceleration and tutorbase. 6-8 tutors is optimal, 10 if you can cut it. That leaves the deck with a manabase of roughly 44-48 cards, depending on your protection numbers (mine was always just 4 Duress). Counting between LED, Chrome, Petal, Dark Ritual, Land Grant, Tinder Wall, Chromatic Sphere/Star (mana fix), Cabal Ritual.......that was always enough before.
    Quote Originally Posted by YuanTi View Post
    Slightly off topic, but where is the Nourishing Lich in the DTB Forum?

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Quote Originally Posted by DeathwingZERO View Post
    I would never play the deck and pass the turn with nothing but some 1/1's on the table, especially against anything in the top 2 tiers.
    Why not? When you plop down 10+ 1/1s on the board on Turn 1 or 2, what are Thresh, Solidarity, or Goblins going to do about it?

Knowing that you're a Belcher player, Thresh would wait to counter the Belcher, so ETW would surprise them. If they counter your acceleration once they know you're ramping it up for ETW, then it keeps your win pieces in your hand.

Solidarity would have to waste a High Tide into a Wish into Echoing Truth to bounce your tokens, giving enough time and tempo for you to go off again.

Goblins, since most are dropping their Sharpshooters from their build, just won't be able to block all those tokens.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Quote Originally Posted by kicks_422 View Post
    Why not? When you plop down 10+ 1/1s on the board on Turn 1 or 2, what are Thresh, Solidarity, or Goblins going to do about it?

Knowing that you're a Belcher player, Thresh would wait to counter the Belcher, so ETW would surprise them. If they counter your acceleration once they know you're ramping it up for ETW, then it keeps your win pieces in your hand.

Solidarity would have to waste a High Tide into a Wish into Echoing Truth to bounce your tokens, giving enough time and tempo for you to go off again.

Goblins, since most are dropping their Sharpshooters from their build, just won't be able to block all those tokens.
    Actually, I've tested a lot with this, as I was attempting to play TES against the top 3, for the hell of it. You'd be surprised with the results about ETW, even people in the TES threads say that at times it's too sub-par for a combo deck.

Goblins really comes down to the situation at hand. I'll just leave examples: If you rush them, they can outplay you, especially since it'll take you a minimum of 2 full rushes to kill them. This comes down to Mogg Fanatics blocking and blowing up another hitter. Piledrivers, Siege Gangs, Warchiefs, and Ringleaders all being able to chump more than once, Matrons chumping and searching for answers, and AEther Vial or Lackey being able to drop a problem on you (Like a Lackey ability on stack, Vial'ing in Matron in response, and finding Pyromancer to blow yours up), and even the Sharpshooter in the sideboard in games 2 and 3. The original gameplan of "Belcher go boom" is what wins vs Goblins. Giving them turns is a very bad idea, especially when your 1/1s don't have abilities.

Solidarity would actually not even waste it's time. If you end up having a lethal attack, they have way more outs than just Echoing Truth, and your statement actually makes me wonder if you've played against Solidarity with ETW yet (no offense or flame intended, it's just a guess). My biggest plan against ETW (and any aggro for that matter) was not wasting a Wish, it was using Turnabout. So worst case scenario, on their turn 3 they go Tide-> Turnabout on your upkeep, Time Walking them into their 4th turn, allowing them to hit the lands to combo out before you do lethal damage the next time around. All the while they still have access to Remand and Force of Will, and Cunning Wish to stop whatever tricks you may pull in the meantime (Stifle, Rebuild, etc). While it is a pain in the ass to attempt it on 2 lands (if they're on the play), Solidarity still has the ability to attempt to combo out against you. In addition to all that, while your attempting to rebuild if they do Echoing Truth your Gobbos, they also have the ability to turn your constant casting of accelerants and tutors into a Brain Freeze that will leave you with little to nothing left in your library, which now kills off your main kill condition, or even kills you.

The versions of Thresh I play against around here all pack 3-4 Stifle, at least 2 in the MD, due to so many Storm decks. So if I were playing Belcher, it would be a given that they would be keeping those Stifle opening hands, regardless of what else is going on. If this is the case, you've wasted just as much acceleration on your two 1/1 goblins as you would have on your Belcher activation, and neither of them are good for you. On top of this, if all they have to do is get around your now 2 win conditions, all they do is Needle your Belcher, and call Empty the Warrens with their Mages. This now leaves you completely reliant on your Living Wishes to attempt to find an answer to either, which they can just counter. Thresh in my opinion is Belcher's absolute worst matchup of the top 3. It packs Crypt in SB, Needle, StP, and Mage maindeck, and has counterspells active from turn 0 on. There's really not much the deck can't do to cripple you.

ETW may work for you against a lot of the format. But consider this: Even when testing Tendrils of Agony (my buddy and I had 4 in the SB for a while, to put in games 2 and 3 against things with Mage, Null Rod etc), I found myself hating the idea of wasting nearly my entire hand on a spell that wouldn't win. It's just not Belcher's gameplan to get storm of 10, even with our tutor base being so high. Most of your decklists currently don't pack the ability to tutor into tutor into win/Ill Gotten Gains like IGGY Pop does, and your storm count will never reach 10 without tutor effects or card draw, or searching for multiple Tendrils for a double storm kill. Keep that in mind.

In no way am I saying that this means Belcher gets autoloss to any of these 3 decks. On the contrary. When it goes straight for the Belcher kill, it has amazing game against Solidarity, especially with MD Duress, and Goblins aren't as fast as you can be, your potential to go off turn 1 or 2 means they have absolutely nothing they can do to you, short of a random Tin Street Hooligan hitting a well placed artifact, or a Mogg Fanatic/Incinerator hitting your Welder. Thresh........well you'll have to play against the list my buddy has to see that matchup pan out, and I'll tell you from experience, it's a hell of a fight.

That has to be the worst line of logic I have ever read regarding ETW, it boils down to, " The opponent is going to have an answer for every card in my deck, every game, every time he is on the play."

There is nothing that Goblins can do against 10 1/1 tokens on the play or on the draw, he will lose so much card advantage, damage and tempo you can just rebuild your hand and either ETW or Tendrils for the win. I have never, ever lost a game in which I resolved 10 1/1 tokens on the first or second turn.

High Tide players have a hard time comboing off on turn 4, losing a High Tide and a Turnabout for a Time Walk isn't going to guarantee the opponent a GG. The odds of the opponent being able to race goblins are a lot less than the opponent being able to Force of Will or Remand an unprotected Infernal Tutor chain, and the odds of being able to race goblins shifts based on the play order, so you can take advantage of it by SBing in/out ETW/Grids if you want.

You have a 50/50 chance the Threshold player is using Pithing Needle or Engineered Explosives, and in a large metagame, the likely hood is that their MD is prepared for Goblins.

TES players that discredit ETW in the MD are deluded, counterspells are a lot more terrifying than the mysterious mass removal/High Tide god hand every one seems to draw against you. As far as ETW in Belcher is concerned, it reduces mulligans, reduces reliance on tuturs, gives the deck a defense against counterspells and forces the opponent to divide his hate between ETW and Belcher. The chances the opponent can deal with ETW are a lot less than the chances it can deal with Belcher, and Null Rod, Pithing Needle and Naturalize etc. are just as bad as mass removal.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

That has to be the worst line of logic I have ever read regarding ETW, it boils down to, " The opponent is going to have an answer for every card in my deck, every game, every time he is on the play."
    It's far from a matter of having an answer to every card in the deck, it's having an answer to a card in the deck that's nothing more than a crutch. A combo deck's basis is to WIN at the end of the combo. Storm decks are based around storm, and solely storm. Belcher, wins on ramming 20+ damage down your throat on a resolved Belcher with activation, on the SAME TURN. Even passing the turn with an offline Belcher has always been a risky move, why would you want something that'll take you two or more turns to accomplish (and with no guarantee to be lethal)? You are then literally at the mercy of your opponent, and your topdeck, two of the worst things a combo player has to face.

There is nothing that Goblins can do against 10 1/1 tokens on the play or on the draw, he will lose so much card advantage, damage and tempo you can just rebuild your hand and either ETW or Tendrils for the win. I have never, ever lost a game in which I resolved 10 1/1 tokens on the first or second turn.
    So where do you suppose this "rebuilding" of your hand is coming from? Cause it's obviously not card advantage, when you play no draw. It's also not reliance on your tutors, because you play roughly 4, and the rest of the deck is acceleration, which is now dead. And why the hell would you play both Tendrils and ETW in a Belcher deck??? Go back to TES, please. It's literally what your trying to accomplish by merging this deck with that one, your basically admitting this deck's not as good as storm (which it isn't, hence why it hasn't put up numbers in years). It's seeming more and more obvious to me this deck isn't right for you. No insult intended, I'm just saying you seem to play like a storm player, not a Belcher one.

Goblins slowplays a turn 6-7 kill (aside from a garbage hand, which a good Goblin player would never keep against a combo deck), and by then usually has a swarm much higher than 10 1/1s can handle. There's plenty they can do. Like continue playing the game the regular way. Your 10 or so Goblins could possibly do 20 damage within 2 turns, but how often are you taking the time out to do a total war against them? The smart player in this case would hold a couple back in case of random power plays the Goblin player can pull off, which means now you've got 3+ turns your waiting to kill them with. This means you've passed the threshold of your power, giving them about 3 turns to build up an army, or chip away at your pieces with their own, creature for creature, if not more. Belcher has NO card advantage at this point, whereas Goblins packs 4 Ringleaders, and can search for them with anywhere from 2-4 Matrons, all of which can be cast or dropped as soon as turn 2 with Lackey, or turn 3 hardcast. Also, some of the "rogue" Goblin players still pack a maindeck Sharpshooter, which now clears the board on your side so they can throw their total war back at you. At this point, your still scrambling for a tutor to get your Belcher online, because you dumped your entire hand to get those Goblins out, while they did nothing but play normally, albiet more defensively. Don't think Goblins are nothing more than a stupid aggro deck, because that in itself would be your downfall. It's arguably the best creature based control deck we've got in the format.

High Tide players have a hard time comboing off on turn 4, losing a High Tide and a Turnabout for a Time Walk isn't going to guarantee the opponent a GG. The odds of the opponent being able to race goblins are a lot less than the opponent being able to Force of Will or Remand an unprotected Infernal Tutor chain, and the odds of being able to race goblins shifts based on the play order, so you can take advantage of it by SBing in/out ETW/Grids if you want.
    High Tide's GOLDFISH is turn 4. It wants to hold out longer, but this is the golden number anyone playing will say "This is my minimum count for optimal speed". It's not "hard" at all at this point, especially when you've hit each of your land drops. And no, a High Tide into Turnabout isn't going to guarantee GG, I'll admit that, but it's going to stall you for another turn, giving them time (much like Goblins) to recoup from the "clock" they have to face, which should only be 1 turn. They already have a ton of hand sculpting abilities in addition to card draw, so pressed against the wall they could either go faster than you and attempt a turn 3-4 win, or slowplay the Cunning Wish route and reshape their hand after that. Either way, your always at severe card disadvantage against that deck, and that's the worst possible thing to be against Solidarity if you haven't already won. If your so worried about their 8 counterspell slots, then obviously play Duress. It wouldn't matter if ETW were a backup kill here anyways if you still get your tutor chains countered.

You have a 50/50 chance the Threshold player is using Pithing Needle or Engineered Explosives, and in a large metagame, the likely hood is that their MD is prepared for Goblins.
    Wouldn't the fact that their maindeck being built vs Goblins mean that it completely cripples your vanilla 1/1s? So StP is probably going to be useless. That much is true. Personally, I've never played an aggro deck up against Thresh, so I'm not certain about this one. All I know is that the deck already has access to Mage and Stifles, which both are very good at stopping this backup plan (and the main one, forcing you to rely on Welder), and this deck will get card advantage on you in the meantime, much like Solidarity. I doubt that ETW is going to change your matchups against this deck much.

TES players that discredit ETW in the MD are deluded, counterspells are a lot more terrifying than the mysterious mass removal/High Tide god hand every one seems to draw against you. As far as ETW in Belcher is concerned, it reduces mulligans, reduces reliance on tuturs, gives the deck a defense against counterspells and forces the opponent to divide his hate between ETW and Belcher. The chances the opponent can deal with ETW are a lot less than the chances it can deal with Belcher, and Null Rod, Pithing Needle and Naturalize etc. are just as bad as mass removal.
    Actually I disagree with the statement of reducing mulligans completely. The card is 4 mana, just like Belcher. Unlike Belcher, however, this card relies on an abundance of spells being tossed from your opening hand, to throw out Goblins that will take a minimum of 2 turns to kill your opponent. At the same time, Belcher can be reactivated each turn as long as you have 3 mana in play. So with ETW you've effectively wasted 4-6 cards on a possible turn 3 kill (assuming nothing is played), rather than just finding your Belcher asap and blowing it up. ETW says, on the other hand, that when all is said and done, your left with your little army of red men, and are relying completely on these guys to push your damage through.

As far as ETW in Belcher is concerned, it reduces mulligans, reduces reliance on tuturs, gives the deck a defense against counterspells and forces the opponent to divide his hate between ETW and Belcher. The chances the opponent can deal with ETW are a lot less than the chances it can deal with Belcher....
    Then play storm. It's that simple. As far as Belcher is concerned, number 1 rule is "Kill on turn 1, if not, setup for kill on turn 2". This means you mulligain aggressively, and you play to get Belcher lethal. You don't sit on creatures in a combo deck, you kill as quickly as possible. If you want defense vs counterspells, rely on your maindeck Xantid Swarm (which is also slow as far as Belcher is concerned), or maindeck Duress/Cabal Therapy. 4 slots in Belcher is not hard in the least bit to come up with. And it's not a matter of them dealing with ETW. They can deal with these vanilla Goblins pretty easily, because Gobs are the easiest of the 3 top decks to hate out. At this point you play right into their maindeck hate, and all they have to worry about then is keeping Belcher offline. You may turn some sideboard cards dead, but chances are you've made more maindeck cards active.

On top of all this, how is a storm card going to reduce your reliance on tutors? If you don't have this or Belcher in your opening hand (assuming 4 copies of ETW are played to maximize chances of seeing either, your still looking at 1 in 5 opening hands that you won't see either, much less if you are only running 2-3 copies of ETW), you still need to mulligan to see either, ore rely on tutors. At least with more tutors your consistency rate goes up, rather than a sub-par win condition that requires more commitment than the maindeck win condition.

....and Null Rod, Pithing Needle and Naturalize etc. are just as bad as mass removal.
    Funny, all it took to kill off Belcher in addition to it's lack of consistency was the inclusion of Null Rod into deck sideboards. It's the easiest combo deck so far to hate against, hands down. Here your backup plan is playing a storm spell, of which a lot of people are expecting, due to numbers IGGY, Solidarity, and now on occasions TES are showing. Seems like your falling into the same trap most combo players are, storm is just too enticing of a mechanic to pass up.

Also how can you knock on mass removal being bad if you've wasted practically your entire opening hand for them to toss one card at you? You've now commited so much to ETW that ANY mass removal spells are now completely active cards, when they were once dead. The field is aggro oriented, the point of combo was to play around that, and to be faster than aggro decks clocks. If we see decks like Farie Stompy, Goblins, and Thresh seal/control games quickly (turn 4-5, on the average), then combo should kill faster than that, with absolute minimal "ground" interference.

FREAK WIZARDS!!!

Extirpate - B

Split-Second
    Own Belcher w/o the chance to even welder the belcher out of the way. :(

does belcher need and answer, or is the chance of the card being played low (as it hurts only a few decks) and not needed to worry about?

(im guessing it's not option 2...)

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

@ Extirpate: There are very few decks that are going to play this maindeck. Of those that do, they have to have it in-hand, and be given at least a turn to play a land. Then they have to keep open the mana to play it, meaning no first turn play. Belcher is built to go off on turn 1 or turn 2, meaning they've had one or two turns maximum to play, and the ideal for most decks is to play something in those turns. Chances are they won't know your deck, and so probably won't be keeping mana open for Extirpate. We can also assume that very few decks are going to sideboard it, but if they do, they'll have to bring in 4 for it to be relevant.

The thing about it is that they need to mulligan into it, and they need to have mana open to play it. This means that it will only be an effective sideboard answer (otherwise they won't know they need it until after they've lost, and they probably won't happen to keep mana open for it unless you combo pretty slowly,) and if you've won game 1 it will have minimal post-board impact. It's pretty much exactly as effective as Pithing Needle, but will see a lot less play.

The thing about Belcher is that it goes off on turn 1 or 2. That doesn't give people a lot of time to find their answers. The problem with it is that if it doesn't go off on 1 or 2, you probably lose. That's just what you get when you play the deck.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that if you play the Belcher and activate it, Extirpate is completely useless. So yeah, much worse than Pithing Needle.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Extirpate should do absolutely nothing to the main function of the deck, being "Get Belcher on table with 3 open mana".

The only thing it does now is kill off your reliance on Welder, which in all honesty, wouldn't be a horrible thing at all. Worst case scenario, if it forced you to take out red completely, and disregard Welder as a great backup plan, it'd streamline this deck way more anyways, being a B/G deck, with the ability to pack in more maindeck hate of it's own (like discard).

But as stated, it's really no better than Pithing Needle. The Needle can hit your Welder and Belcher while their in play, and you then have to rely on a Living Wish to go get your artifact hate creature of choice. If Extirpate randomly hits your Belcher, you can either try to get a fatty from Wish, or just scoop and go to next game, prepared for that scenario.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

If Extirpate randomly hits your Belcher, you can either try to get a fatty from Wish, or just scoop and go to next game, prepared for that scenario.
    Or win with EtW.

EtW sucks, plain and simple, i think the fatty plan would actually work better even w/ STP since they side it out very often.

Although that means you would have to find a good fatty for cheap, and that has a draw back you don't care about...

Anyone have any ideas?

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Tomb of Urami as a Living Wish target?...

possible, actually im going to test that...

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Actually one of the most stable win conditions that the deck used to have in it's sideboard in case trouble happened with control decks was Troll Ascetic. Untargetable, on color, and regenerates. Blastoderm was also good as a fattie, or Hunted Wumpus (I've tried him a few times in the past, he was especially good against combo decks).

Unfortunately if you need a "win quick" scenario on the cheap, you probably won't be seeing much better than Tomb or Negator.

And yes, EtW is still a horrible, horrible card.

Apr 2007
    chicago, il

Goblin Welder is just as good as Xantid Swarm in the MD against counterspells, and he also allows the deck to accelerate out Goblin Charbelcher with Lion's Eye Diamond or recur Goblin Charbelcher after a removal card. Xantid Swarm is going to slow this deck down, because instead of casting Goblin Charbelcher first and testing the waters for Force of Will, the deck casts Xantid Swarm, waits a turn and gets Pithing Needled.
    -Welder can get needled
    -Welder is vulnerable to md meta sillyness like wretch/tormod's crypt/Leyline.

-Stifle an Xantid Swarm and you haven't lost anything. Stifle a welder after an LED sacrifice and you've lost your belcher.

Not that I'm recomending Xantid swarm, either. TES can run the flyer better since they have 11 stable mana source md, as well as the artifact mana. We can't afford to waste spells putting the xantid in play.

I'm still seeing lists with Brainstorms though, yet nothing running more than 4 Spoils of the Vault. Did anyone bother reading the post I had? A card only drawing into 3 and putting 2 back with only minimal (Land Grant) shuffle effects is horrible for your consistency issues, and that's the decks only losing point.
    Living wish-wooded foothills gave me more shuffle effects, as well as better belches. Not a necessity, but I thought it was good in brainstorm versions.

My experiences w/ Brainstorm have been nearly always good, especially if your hand is clogged with tutors/belchers and you need some accelleration. It also is ok at finding said tutors/belchers, helps protect against discard and is never a dead card (like welder.)

A combo deck's basis is to WIN at the end of the combo. Storm decks are based around storm, and solely storm. Belcher, wins on ramming 20+ damage down your throat on a resolved Belcher with activation, on the SAME TURN.
    You could say the same thing replacing Tendrils of Agony for Belcher, and you'd still be wrong. 14 1/1's can win the game just as well. It makes the deck more versatile, and versatility wins games. What are you going to do when the opponent goes turn one chalice for zero, pithing needle on belcher? You're going to ritual up a small army of 1/1's to smash face with, obv.

I'm disgusted that people are discussing the goblins matchup. It doesn't matter if EtW is good/bad against goblins, it's not FOR goblins. Belcher is for goblins, and it's all you need against them.

It's not "hard" at all at this point, especially when you've hit each of your land drops. And no, a High Tide into Turnabout isn't going to guarantee GG, I'll admit that, but it's going to stall you for another turn, giving them time (much like Goblins) to recoup from the "clock" they have to face, which should only be 1 turn.
    Yes... because solidarity will always be able to go high tide +Turnabout on turn 3... always... and still combo out on turn 4...

The majority of the time, they needed either that high tide, or that turnabout, and now have stalled themselves the one turn you needed to kill them.

So StP is probably going to be useless. That much is true.
    Not unless you rely on extremely fragile goblin welders to allow them to have an outlet for their creature kill. Of course, no one would be that stupi...

(and the main one, forcing you to rely on Welder.)
    ... well, I digress.

Actually I disagree with the statement of reducing mulligans completely. The card is 4 mana, just like Belcher.
    Belcher, against some decks, costs 7. Anyone who has tested enough knows this.

They can deal with these vanilla Goblins pretty easily, because Gobs are the easiest of the 3 top decks to hate out.
    As the belcher player, I'm pretty happy when my opponents start siding in engineered plague.

Seems like your falling into the same trap most combo players are, storm is just too enticing of a mechanic to pass up.
    Because it wins? Yes, those silly combo players, playing mechanics that win the game for them.

Also how can you knock on mass removal being bad if you've wasted practically your entire opening hand for them to toss one card at you? .
    Because mass removal may or may not be in their md, and if it is it may not be in their hand, and if it is in their hand it may not be relevant, and if it is then they may not be able to play it. WoG, Disk cost 4. The most effective, Pyroclasm, isn't even seen in the majority of the burn decks, and is almost never seen as a 4 of.

Even if they do manage to drop some mass removal, if you've managed a single swing of tokens then you've dropped the necessary storm count for a tendrils kill quite a heap.

This is my build, I'll probably be playing it at the GP.

// Lands
    1 [A] Taiga
    1 [R] Bayou

// Creatures
    4 [IA] Tinder Wall
    1 [PLC] Simian Spirit Guide

// Spells
    4 [MR] Goblin Charbelcher
    3 [DIS] Infernal Tutor
    1 [US] Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 [SC] Tendrils of Agony
    4 [MI] Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 [JU] Burning Wish
    4 [9E] Seething Song
    4 [TSP] Chromatic Star
    4 [TO] Cabal Ritual
    4 [MM] Land Grant
    3 [VI] Helm of Awakening
    4 [TE] Lotus Petal
    4 [MR] Chrome Mox
    4 [A] Dark Ritual
    4 [CS] Rite of Flame
    1 [TSP] Empty the Warrens

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [DIS] Infernal Tutor
    SB: 1 [US] Ill-Gotten Gains
    SB: 2 [SC] Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 3 [TSP] Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 [AL] Diminishing Returns
    SB: 1 [FD] Channel the Suns
    SB: 3 [GP] Shattering Spree
    SB: 1 [OD] Firebolt
    SB: 1 [US] Duress
    SB: 1 [OD] Simplify

This is the build that won 1st and 2nd place at the Quebec PTQ,

CRET Belcher

4 Desperate Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Seething Song
    4 Elvish Spirit guide
    4 Simian spirit guide
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Land Grant
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lions Eye Diamond
    4 Wild Cantor
    3 Tinder Wall
    1 Bayou
    1 Taiga
    4 Goblin Charbelcher
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Empty the Warrens

Sideboard:
    4 Shattering Spree
    4 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Cave-In
    1 Infernal Tutor
    1 Duress
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Simplify

Notice it has 7 ETW, 3 MD ETW, 1 SB ETW and 4 MD Burning Wish, the same configuration I suggested on TMD, and it has no tutors or disruption for Belcher; that's how good ETW is in this deck.

I'd cut the Dark Ritual for Living Wish, Wild Cantor for 3 Goblin Welder and 4th Tinder Wall and the Bayou for Taiga in the MD; the SB needs a complete over haul, but the Pyrokinesis/Cave-In addition is pretty ingenious.

Source Random
    Aug 2006
    Ottawa, Canada

This is the build that won 1st and 2nd place at the Quebec PTQ.
    GPT not PTQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    This thread disgusts me. Carry on.

Apr 2007
    chicago, il

and it has no tutors or disruption for Belcher; that's how good ETW is in this deck.
    Infernal tutor in the sb makes burning wish = 4x tutor. There's also a duress there, so there is some protection as well.

I'd cut the Dark Ritual for Living Wish, Wild Cantor for 3 Goblin Welder and 4th Tinder Wall and the Bayou for Taiga in the MD; the SB needs a complete over haul, but the Pyrokinesis/Cave-In addition is pretty ingenious.
    There's already a Taiga in the MD.

Although it's tempting to run both living and burning wish, it doesn't work out that well. I tested it for a long time, but in the end it doesn't do more for you than Burning wish, and most of the time it does less. Also, with two types of wishes your Infernal Tutors become infinately worse, although this list doesn't run them md. (living wish+city of traitors with a helm in play is like casting a colorless rite though...)

Cutting Dark ritual is also not a good idea. Ever.

Wild Cantor is in the deck as a mana fixer. Since the deck doesn't care that much about turn 2, replacing its mana cost is better than drawing an extra card.

Goblin Welder would be a bad addition as well, for the reason stated above. This build does not want to see turn two.

And what the devil is wrong with his sb?

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

This is the build that won 1st and 2nd place at the Quebec PTQ,

CRET Belcher

4 Desperate Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Seething Song
    4 Elvish Spirit guide
    4 Simian spirit guide
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Land Grant
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lions Eye Diamond
    4 Wild Cantor
    3 Tinder Wall
    1 Bayou
    1 Taiga
    4 Goblin Charbelcher
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Empty the Warrens

Sideboard:
    4 Shattering Spree
    4 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Cave-In
    1 Infernal Tutor
    1 Duress
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Simplify

Notice it has 7 ETW, 3 MD ETW, 1 SB ETW and 4 MD Burning Wish, the same configuration I suggested on TMD, and it has no tutors or disruption for Belcher; that's how good ETW is in this deck.

Is there a link to the T8 decklists somewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Thread Information