Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [TOURNAMENT] Vancouver, WA, July 29, The Bat Cave

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Re: [TOURNAMENT] Vancouver, WA, July 29, The Bat Cave

Bump again because this is in two days. I encourage everyone in the area to go. Especially ZillA and frogboy. And anyone else on the Source who can make it.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

A recent change of plans: sorry, I'm not going to be able to make this one. And I really looked forward to stomping some sliver ass too. :(

Hey, this is lame as hell and I regret having to do this but I'm curious if anyone from the Portland area has a spare seat up to Vancouver, as the car I was planning to take has been rendered temporarily unavailable and I've been looking forward to this event for quite a while. I'd have arranged other transport but I've been getting sloshed at my yearly family reunion in central Oregon and out of contact with the rest of the world since Wednesday night. For those of you who don't know (everyone) this is Lochlan, you may have met me at AU a few times (i.e. I know who Volt, Frogboy and Bardo are though I'm unsure they all remember who I am as it has been a while). I live in SW Portland and am plenty willing to buy lunch for whomever can give me a ride, but I do really need some help here because serious Legacy tournaments like this are rare as hell in this area. You can reach me at 503-621-8999.

EDIT: Crisis averted! Thanks Volt!

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by LGD View Post
    Hey, this is lame as hell and I regret having to do this but I'm curious if anyone from the Portland area has a spare seat up to Vancouver, as the car I was planning to take has been rendered temporarily unavailable and I've been looking forward to this event for quite a while. I'd have arranged other transport but I've been getting sloshed at my yearly family reunion in central Oregon and out of contact with the rest of the world since Wednesday night. For those of you who don't know (everyone) this is Lochlan, you may have met me at AU a few times (i.e. I know who Volt, Frogboy and Bardo are though I'm unsure they all remember who I am as it has been a while). I live in SW Portland and am plenty willing to buy lunch for whomever can give me a ride, but I do really need some help here because serious Legacy tournaments like this are rare as hell in this area.
    Done deal. See you tomorrow.
    Team Info-Ninja: Shhh... We don't exist.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

So, what happened? How many showed? Who/what won? etc.

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

22 people. Top eight:

Me, with UGR Thresh
    Zilla, with UGR Thresh
    LinkXWing, with UBGW control

and some folks whose handles I don't know: a UB Tog deck with maindeck Serendibs, a UR Landstill deck with CB/Top, a budget Countersliver, RG Goblins, and another UGR Thresh deck.

I beat LinkXWing in the quarters, the Tog deck in the semis, and got crushed in the finals by Countersliver. Game one involved him having Crystalline + FoW, and game two involved me drawing lots of noncreature spells and eventually getting killed by Eternal Dragon.
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Yep, Noah Freed does it again! There were 4 Countersliver decks, and the only non-MeatHooks list is the one that made T8 and won the tournament. There were also 4 red Thresh decks at the tournament, and only 1 white Thresh. Very little combo at the tournament -- one Golden Grahams, one Elves combo deck, and that was it.

As for me, I scrubbed out 2-3. Lost to UB Tog, beat sui-black, lost to red Thresh (Zilla), beat UWb Fish, lost to Elves! I had a fantastic time, though, as I think most of the people did. Overall, I think it was a great success, and I look forward to next month.

Jul 2006
    Seattle

Yeah that tournament was a LOT of fun. I couldn't believe there were so many fish-type decks running around. I didn't see a goblin deck at all. There may have been one or two somewhere, but if there was, I didn't see it. What kind of meta has no gobs?? Hell, I'm not complaining, though lol. There were SO many aggro-control decks running around there.

I got paired against counterslivers twice in a row, btw. What the hell. That deck is so annoying to play against.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo
    So, what happened? How many showed? Who/what won? etc.
    Well, not you . No hard feelings, though.

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    a UB Tog deck with maindeck Serendibs,
    That was my buddy Greg, I'm not sure he's regged.

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy
    a UR Landstill deck with CB/Top
    That was Maverick676.

, a budget Countersliver,
    I guess 1 maindeck Eternal Dragon is the secret tech we needed to push it over the top .

RG Goblins, and another UGR Thresh deck.
    Not sure if either of these have handles, but I know the other UGR Thresh was played by a guy named Joe (?)

I managed to go 2-3 as well, playing 4c Landstill in the first round and getting horrible draws (/grumble, G2 I found a third Pithing Needle before I found a third land). It wasn't a good matchup to begin with, and after such savage mulliganing I was toast.

Second round I played against my friend Jay (Durahan) who was playing Wildfire, and G1 he couldn't manage to find one to stem the Sliver beatdown, and G2 Harmonic was a total house.

Round 3 I played against UWb Fish, losing G1 to a Serra Avenger behind and active mom, and narrowly eeking out a win in G2 on the back of Counterbalance from the board (nabbed 3 Meddling Magi and a Jitte with it), eventually winning while I was at 1 life under Engineered Plague. G3 I savagely beat face. Honestly the most fun matchup I had all day.

Round 4 I played against Zilla's red Thresh, and even though I took G1, games 2 and 3 were not so pretty, Tarmogoyf, man, It's just so big. It's also worth noting here that Zilla also went to Burgerville later and bought me a Bacon Cheeseburger and some Onion Rings. Fat super mega ultra props to him for that.

Round 5 I went up against my friend Craig (unregged), who was also playing UGR Thresh as well (there were 4 people playing UGR Thresh there, so between that and Meathooks we had roughly 50% of the metagame). He took both games in a couple of savage Tarmogoyf related incidents.

What I remember of the meta was thus:

Countersliver -Me
    Countersliver - Volt
    Countersliver - LGD
    Countersliver - Noah (MD Eternal Dragon FTW)
    UGR Thresh - Zilla
    UGR Thresh - frogboy
    UGR Thresh - Joe (?)
    UGR Thresh - Craig
    UGW Thresh - AngryTroll
    4c Landstill - LinkXWing
    UR Landstill - Maverick676
    UB Tog - Greg
    Wildfire - Jay
    Elves! - Can't remember his name, he had a tie though.
    Slavager Game - ???
    Goblins - ???
    Sui Black - ???

Can anyone else fill in the blanks? I'm still missing 5 people.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Jul 2006
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Can anyone else fill in the blanks? I'm still missing 5 people.
    Well, I know someone was playing LftL/Seismic Assault. With Tarmogoyf. And Mox Diamond.

Andy was playing some Affinity deck.

Can't remember anything else, though.

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Countersliver - Noah (MD Eternal Dragon FTW)
    Countersliver - James (Pinder)
    Countersliver - Chris (Volt)
    Countersliver - Lochlan (LGD)
    UGR Thresh - Patrick (Zilla)
    UGR Thresh - Max (Frogboy)
    UGR Thresh - Joe
    UGR Thresh - Craig
    UGW Thresh - Don (AngryTroll)
    UBW Fish - Dave(?)
    4c Landstill - Brett (LinkXWing)
    UR Landstill - Brian (Maverick676)
    UB Tog - Greg
    Wildfire - Jay (Durahan)
    Elves! - Trevor (a very good player with a very good build of Elves!)
    Salvager Game - Nick (Nightshade81)
    RG Aggro Loam - Nate (Nick's bro)
    Goblins - James (borrowing my goblins deck)
    Sui Black - Roy
    Affinity - Andy

and 2 more decks I can't remember

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

I joined the active NW Source Members at 2-3. :(

I played UGW Thresh, similar to Bardo Thresh...but with Portent over Serum Visions, Predict over Mental Note, and two Divining Tops.

I smashed Meathooks in the first round, lost to Frogboy's UGR Thresh match two in three long, close games, lost to Goblins in two brutal games round three, beat Salvager's Game in two games for 2-2, then lost to LinkXWing's Landstill.

Well....my three losses were all great games, and I'd rather play a tough tournament to a 2-3 finish than smash through scrubs to a 4-0.

Props: All the people that showed up.
    Eternal Dragon, City of Brass, Yavimaya Coast, and no cantrips (not even Brainstorm) in the Sliver deck that won
    Batcave for hosting us
    All the Seattle people for showing up
    Whoever brought that awesome Type 4 deck

Slops: Threads of Disloyalty. Seriously. That card is not as hot as I thought. I only boarded it once, and sat there staring at Fledgling Dragons with nothing but Threads in hand. Condemn or Kirtar's Desire would have been worlds better.

Capsize, in the type four deck. Seriously...what were we thinking? I guess it wouldn't have been that bad, except it was in his opening hand, and no one had countermagic.

Pinder, for making me mull to 5 three games in a row with CRET Belcher after the tournament, opening with Pithing Needle three three games in a row, and cutting me to a 4 point Belcher activation the one game I did find it and not Empty the Warrens.
    InfoNinjas

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

I joined the active NW Source Members at 2-3. :(
    if your name is in purple or red it's a free pass to top eight. :rock:

Slops: Threads of Disloyalty. Seriously. That card is not as hot as I thought. I only boarded it once, and sat there staring at Fledgling Dragons with nothing but Threads in hand.
    If it makes you feel any better, I had a Tarmogoyf in my hand for most of that game that I didn't cast because I knew you had Threads.

We'll do this again in August. Bardo: You're getting dragged kicking and screaming.
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

I'm Greg, the guy who top 4ed with UB Tog with maindeck serendib. The deck was sweet to me all day except in the semifinals.

You guys are right about threads of disloyalty - the card is garbage. Control magic is much better - mystic enforcer, fledling dragon, psychatog, lots of other stuff out there. Not to mention it is only a little harder to cast at UU2 instead of UU1. Vedalken shackles seems better as well (albeit a bit more mana intensive and it requires a lot of islands to take a tarmogoyf or something)

Also, that was my type four deck. Thanks for the comment about it, Ive been working on it a while :). Capsize is one of the cards Im thinking about giving the axe. Youre right, its a little too good. To my defense, I did tell you just to cycle it.

To everyone else, this tournament was completely awesome, as was going out to burgerville afterwards. Totally worth the 5.5 hours of driving. The venue is nice and everyone there was totally awesome, even when they were WTFing my maindeck serendibs (which are nuts against UR landstill and UGr thresh).

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    We'll do this again in August. Bardo: You're getting dragged kicking and screaming.
    I second this.

And Don, I don't think I've ever had so many first turn Pithing Needles in a row before. The third game I had two in my opening hand. Course, it didn't matter, as you still went off 1st turn.....for a measly 4 damage .

If only I could have that kind of luck during a tournament...
    -Slay

Thread Information